• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR2 |OT| I heard it has a single cable. Is this true?

Tygeezy

It's not though - the game's motion isn't blurry at all for me, not sure why. I don't have any issues at all with the motion.

The game is actually crystal clear when you're moving your head around, looks great to me.

Edit: I suppose if you have tunnel vision / vignetting on it does indeed look like shit. But that needs to be disabled as soon as you build enough VR legs to turn it off, that dims everything during movement and makes it a mess to focus on anything like you describe.
No, it’s not the vignette. The game reprojects 60 fps to 120 hz and the result is a ghosting/blur artifact that’s extremely noticeable mid you strafe and look at objects.

Minsc

Gold Member
No, it’s not the vignette. The game reprojects 60 fps to 120 hz and the result is a ghosting/blur artifact that’s extremely noticeable mid you strafe and look at objects.

I will have to septically look for it tonight but I have nearly 20 hours in the game and I have no complaints about it being blurry from movement at all - in fact last time I played I made a point to move my head around and look at the reprojection and the game detail held up great. Same for movement in general.

Then again I'm not really using stafe a lot in the game. It is designed so you generally can use forward movement and turn while walking forward, or spin in place, but I'll try to pay attention to it tonight. It's definitely not anything detrimental to the normal gameplay for me, and like I said I've put in 20 hours and am near the end.

I don't know if you have Kayak, but that is 90 fps and that has some weird ghosting thing going on I notice. If you go to the beach locations where there are palm trees in the days, and turn while looking at the trees, they leave after images while you move in that game, which I notice quite a bit. But outside the poor AA on some edges in RE8 and some mura in grayer areas, it's a phenomenal looking experience all around for me.

SilentUser

I'm with Tygeezy Tygeezy , the reprojection in Village is pretty noticeable and I wish they went for 90hz, even if reducing some bells and whistles a little bit. I think it is doable, but I imagine they decided to go with the easy option and I don't blame them. Don't get me wrong, it works just fine and Village is easily one of my favorite PSVR2 titles, it is actually an awesome game to play on it and a very nice way to sell the headset to newcomers.

Minsc

Gold Member
Damn you both lol. Well, everyone's free to have their opinion, thinking about it more though, perhaps I simply don't notice it. If you turn your head in real life fast, like look infront of you and focus on something a little to the side then whip your head left or right and everything is blurry, at least for me. But RE8 is also a slow paced game, yeah there's enemies, but generally you play it a lot like the original RE4 unless you're cheesing a boss or something, that is you stand still and aim for the heads. I'm going to pick up Red Matter 2 tonight as well and compare them.

I'm sure back to back RE8 will look worse, much in the way if you compare a Steam Deck to a Switch OLED or any OLED display the Steam Deck looks like shit. But by itself it's perfectly fine and capable of displaying games for someone to enjoy without much complaint.

Markio128

I’m really liking Red Matter 2 - I’m genuinely surprised by how good of a game it is and not just with how great it looks. It’s definitely the best game of its type that I’ve played in VR so far. Even the music and audio in general is of a high quality. The puzzles are also pretty enjoyable, with subtle clues here and there to help you work it out.

PanzerCute

I’m really liking Red Matter 2 - I’m genuinely surprised by how good of a game it is and not just with how great it looks. It’s definitely the best game of its type that I’ve played in VR so far. Even the music and audio in general is of a high quality. The puzzles are also pretty enjoyable, with subtle clues here and there to help you work it out.
Yeah it's really, really good. I almost finished it and some puzzles were not simple for someone like me, who is not used to that type of game, but the progression was still fluid and very enjoyable.

And yes, the game can look absolutely fantastic: those space vistas really are a sight to behold.

Markio128

Yeah it's really, really good. I almost finished it and some puzzles were not simple for someone like me, who is not used to that type of game, but the progression was still fluid and very enjoyable.

And yes, the game can look absolutely fantastic: those space vistas really are a sight to behold.
I’ve just got to the bit where it’s really dark and you throw green flares to light the way. The OLED display really comes into its own in this game.

Minsc

Gold Member
So spent 45 minutes or so with Red Matter 2. I don't think it looks THAT much higher res to me, but it's definitely clearer - strangely no one mentioned there's definitely aliasing noticeable during movement in Red Matter 2 despite the native res if you look along edges of object like rails. Also when going back to RE8 afterwards it felt worse than I remembered too, so perhaps Red Matter is big enough jump in specs to cause me to question myself a little. But after 5 minutes in RE8 looked great again to me. Anyway back to Red Matter 2.

What I liked - the textures are amazing. That includes the reflective surfaces - there's so much attention to detail. I liked how it's a VR game too, and I needed to find what to use in the environment myself, no yellow tape on objects to indicate to interact because only 1 out of every 20 things are something you can break or use like RE8. If you see it and think you can move it you probably can. The way things like your scanner had the layer of dirt/oil on the screen you could see in the reflections and little details like the glass being dirty and reflections in general are so cool in VR. Flying/boosting is fun and the hand controls are great the way they show the controllers in the game. The game is way better than I expected given it's made by just 2 people I've read, feels every bit as good as a regular AA game, and one not to miss for sure on VR2.

The headset vibrations are really well done and made the takeoff sequence pretty amazing to experience, highlight of my sessions for sure, which leads me in to -

What I felt was a bit compromised about the game - That take off sequence, I hate how they cut it short and jumped you to the next location haha! Now I want to see a VR game where you takeoff from Earth - imagine something like The Dig in VR, drool. There's more mura in Red Matter 2 than RE8 on average - at least from the sampling I have from the first 45 minutes. It's definitely a step up in noticeability from RE8. Lighting and movement doesn't feel as good to me as RE8 either, and it definitely has a WAY more barren feel than RE8. Maybe there's dozens and dozens of people around later, and you have a gigantic open area to explore but I doubt it. When I booted back in to RE8 in the factory towards the end, I was in a dark corridor and all the different lighting sources and sense of immersion of actually being in a dark and spooky hallway just felt way higher to me. I like how RE8 is populated too (both with people/enemies and with clutter).

Anyway, in regards to RE8's reprojection being bad/blurry, I don't buy it. I have turn speed set to 6, I don't know if that matters. But strafing left and right my view ahead was fine (strafing left and right is really slow though in RE8 that's probably why I don't use it much). Standing still and turning my head left and right was even better (higher framerate due to reprojection than turn with the analog). Like if I stay still and hold left or right to spin around really fast, I see many many fast individual frames clearly as the view spins in a circle. I can make out the different objects in as much detail as I'd expect spinning in a circle at a high speed, it's not blurry at all (it's not smooth either, but it's perfectly fine). And walking and running forward looks good too. All around I really have no issues with movement in RE8 and I reconfirmed it. I can definitely see it's lower framerate than Red Matter 2, but that doesn't bother me one bit. RE8 just feels gigantic next to what I've seen of Red Matter 2, and that's not even counting stuff like the epic boss battles. But it's a little weird to rate them against each other because they're quite different games, in terms of gameplay and types of games. Both (look) to be great, but RE8 is definitely going to still be more my type of game.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

I just finished Red Matter 2. Took me about 6 hours and a half, knowing that I spent a lot of time just enjoying the scenery and that I'm pretty much a noob at puzzle narrative games.

Well, that was a great experience, in a genre that is clearly elevated by VR. I have a few minor grips regarding the controls and I think they could have balanced the different phases a bit better. But all in all, it was a very solid and extremely immersive experience, with some awe-inspiring scenes, clever puzzles and a good story.

Really recommend it.

Last edited:

Forsete

Gold Member
Red Matter 2 is really excellent.

Really beautiful graphics as well, so sharp and nice.

I was wondering if the game was using foveated rendering, so I saved a short clip and had a look on the TV after I was done playing, and yup it is using foveated rendering.
qphxL8i.jpg

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I appreciate games that go after native res and 90/120fps framerates, but to me I still find the lived in environments full of clutter and garbage and piples/hoses hanging from the ceiling to be more impressive.

resident-evil-village-heisenberg-factory-8.jpg

477D7E3473B858C59F017AF25EF74AE4F73CF43C

And stuff like that of course looks even better / more detailed in VR.

What game is this?

Minsc

Gold Member
RE: Village - definitely the most traditional VR game outside GT7 available. It's like 1/2 horror ala RE7 and 1/2 action ala RE4. Screen is from the 4th of the 4 major areas you go - each is very different from the last in theme and play style.

PanzerCute

I bought Walkabout Mini-golf to play with my girlfriend and its quite cool. Physics is really realistic and the courses are fun, but damn the 3D models come straight from Nintendo 64. Oh and smooth locomotion is bad in this game: makes me a bit nauseous which is weird as I dont have any issue with other games.

But still, very well made game and good value for the price.

But damn, after Red Matter 2 I need a new single player game. Did you guys play Star Wars and Song in the Smoke?

SilentUser

Tried the demo for both, but I honestly didn't care much about them: Not a fan of Star Wars at all, so I couldn't get excited about it while trying the demo. About Song in the Smoke, I dont like to play survival games anymore, specially single player. However, both were good looking games and run really well from what I remember.

Minsc

Gold Member
I bought Walkabout Mini-golf to play with my girlfriend and its quite cool. Physics is really realistic and the courses are fun, but damn the 3D models come straight from Nintendo 64. Oh and smooth locomotion is bad in this game: makes me a bit nauseous which is weird as I dont have any issue with other games.

But still, very well made game and good value for the price.

But damn, after Red Matter 2 I need a new single player game. Did you guys play Star Wars and Song in the Smoke?

It'd probably help to know which games you already finished. Moss 1 and Moss 2 and Saints and Sinners 1 and 2 I'd put ahead of both those (along with GT7 and RE8 but that's a bit too obvious), though Star Wars gets fairly decent impressions from time to time.

Romulus

I think PSVR2 will be the visual showpiece for this generation above the consoles. I mean even now, GT7, RE8, Red Matter 2 offer a viewpoint that just makes the visuals much more impressive. You can actually appreciate things you can't see on a TV. In GT7, I see things all the time I didn't notice in the regular game.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

It'd probably help to know which games you already finished. Moss 1 and Moss 2 and Saints and Sinners 1 and 2 I'd put ahead of both those (along with GT7 and RE8 but that's a bit too obvious), though Star Wars gets fairly decent impressions from time to time.
Oh I finished a lot of games already (all the ones you mentioned), I was specifically asking for Song in the Smoke and Star Wars as they are the two solo games that I still havent done and that I could see myself play.

We should also have some news of Hubris this week, as it is supposed to come out in May.

Last edited:

Madjako

For those of you who have this psvr2, does youtube vr works ? Is the quality better than youtube on psvr1

Last edited:

mckmas8808

RE: Village - definitely the most traditional VR game outside GT7 available. It's like 1/2 horror ala RE7 and 1/2 action ala RE4. Screen is from the 4th of the 4 major areas you go - each is very different from the last in theme and play style.

How is this possible?! I've played all of the RE games. Played RE7 in PSVR. But those screenshots don't even look like any RE game I've even play before. RE8 is 100% on the list now.

Minsc

Gold Member
How is this possible?! I've played all of the RE games. Played RE7 in PSVR. But those screenshots don't even look like any RE game I've even play before. RE8 is 100% on the list now.
If you've played all RE games including 7 and in VR, unless you didn't like 7, I can't imagine how you didn't jump on 8! 8 really feels like a combination of 7 and 4 but much more 4 than 7 - but doesn't really ever approach the horror of 7. Graphically it's been said to be a huge step above 7 in VR as well.

SilentUser

So, just bought Red Matter 2 and tried it briefly just now. Guys, I must say I'm ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED by the surreal IQ! I had no idea PSVR2 could actually have a crystal clear image 🤯 I was pretty happy with the IQ of most titles thinking they basically showed how good the lenses are... until now, I mean. Now I think those lenses are actually great. I am fully impressed.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

If you've played all RE games including 7 and in VR, unless you didn't like 7, I can't imagine how you didn't jump on 8! 8 really feels like a combination of 7 and 4 but much more 4 than 7 - but doesn't really ever approach the horror of 7. Graphically it's been said to be a huge step above 7 in VR as well.

I was waiting on the VR version to come out. But then the NBA playoffs happened and work and I wish I had 30 hours a day to use.

Sleepwalker

Have had my dad visiting for the last month or so and hes staying in the room where I have the PSVR set up so I havent been able to play in a minute, hes leaving on june 5th. I'm itching to catch up on all the new stuff.

Crayon

I hope the show is fire for VR!! I'm at a point of dare not hope for alyx. Seems like we would have heard something more by now and if it's not shown now, I don't know when it would.

Alyx is already out there though and if I want to play it, nothing is really stopping me from playing on PC. So that expectation has been lowered. If the do show it though I'm going to piss.

PanzerCute

Great news! 600k in 6 weeks is quite impressive tbh.

Now lets make some wild guests for tonight. Here are my realistic expectations:

- Astrobot 2: hybrid ps5/psvr2 game
- Half Life Alyx for their holidays killer app
- Twisted Metal hybrid ps5/psvr2
- RE4 full vr campaign
- Behemoth gameplay reveal
- PSVR1 ports
- One big Sony PSVR2 only game (Killzone?)
- AA and indies montage
- Hubris shadowdrop after the évent

What do you guys think?

Markio128

- RE4 full vr campaign
- PSVR1 ports
- AA and indies montage

What do you guys think?
I think that’s optimistic, but you never know. I’d really like to see at least one megaton announcement for VR.

PanzerCute

I think that’s optimistic, but you never know. I’d really like to see at least one megaton announcement for VR.
Yes it is optimistic, I agree, but it doesnt come from nowhere tho. Half life has been rumoured for months now. Astro is a no brainer, a Killzone for PSVR1 was supposedly rescheduled for PSVR2, RE4 is almost confirmed, Twisted Metal relateds job offres mentioned VR and Behemoth should show its gameplay as it is supposed to release this year.

So yes, optimistic, but possible I would say :)

Edit: retarded french autocorrect

Last edited:

SilentUser

- RE4 full vr campaign
- PSVR1 ports
- AA and indies montage

What do you guys think?
It is plausible and I would be massively happy with that, that's why I don't think it will happen haha (trying to not create big expectations here).
Some things I would change from your list: I don't think HL:A is coming ro PSVR2, sadly, as we don't have any paupable leak (like which studio is porting it), imo; Killzone would be a hybrid title; and Beat Saber is a big candidate to have a shadowdrop instead of Hubris.

PanzerCute

It is plausible and I would be massively happy with that, that's why I don't think it will happen haha (trying to not create big expectations here).
Some things I would change from your list: I don't think HL:A is coming ro PSVR2, sadly, as we don't have any paupable leak (like which studio is porting it), imo; Killzone would be a hybrid title; and Beat Saber is a big candidate to have a shadowdrop instead of Hubris.
Yes I agree, Im also keeping my expectations in check but I think they have to deliver now, so I dont see them only showing an indie games montage.

For Half Life, nothing is set in stone obviously and we are still in wishful thinking stage, but even Valve said they were not against the idea at some point, and I dont know, I cant see Sony missing on that.

We'll see.

SilentUser

Yes I agree, Im also keeping my expectations in check but I think they have to deliver now, so I dont see them only showing an indie games montage.

For Half Life, nothing is set in stone obviously and we are still in wishful thinking stage, but even Valve said they were not against the idea at some point, and I dont know, I cant see Sony missing on that.

We'll see.
I would love Half Life Alyx on PSVR2 and I agree, it would be a big title for the holiday. That with Behemoth, Foglands, Synapse and maybe a new Astro would close the year in such a fantastic way!
Also agree with you, Sony should deliver a great show for PSVR2 to prepare for the second half of the year and confirm PSVR2 as a viable platform. The signs are pretty good and I like when I see the bigwigs saying Sony will support PSVR2 for a long time, they have being saying for a long, long time they see it as a slowburner.

This is surprisingly good, in my opinion! As someone pointed in the other thread, we are comparing a much bigger installed base, plus holiday season and being widely available in stores versus post-holiday season, much smaller user base and being available online only. And yet PSVR2 managed to outsell PSVR1. I'm gladly surprised.
The most interesting fact is that the access to PSVR2 is pricier if we consider the hardware itself and the PS5. Right now it's a high end investment

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Really looking forward to seeing what Sony have instore for us PSVR2 adopters, id definitely shit the bed if they announce Half Life but i cant see it, surely a big game like that you announce in the run up to Xmas and do a bundle to shift hardware? tbh I'm hoping to see a Skyrim upgrade (i know wishful thinking) VR1 Skyrim is visual garbage but man is it a fantastic game in VR and to play the Special Edition version with no compromises in VR2 yeah id buy it again.. RE4 VR is a no brainer and a day 1 purchase, id love to see a RE7 upgrade as i havent finished that one and would love to after the incredible job Capcom did with RE8. Maybe a NMW proper visual upgrade??

So managed to play a bunch of Call of the Mountain last night, have just got to the level past the tall necks where you come across a massive ruined temple in the jungle and fucking hell does it not look incredible and it give me proper Uncharted/TombRaider feels, got me thinking about a ND Uncharted adventure and how incredible it would be to play Nate in VR, he'd be a helluva lot more fun to listen to than Horizon's protagonist, even if they give us some of the level segments from UC4 and made them VR id buy it, but man Call of the Mountain really does have some incredible visuals, the giant robot on top of the mountain level was fantastic the way they had the tentacles wrecking through everything, the sense of scale was immense and the whole level really conveyed the ruins of some insane past battle, i hope Firesprite are either working on a sequel or working on another Sony franchise, hopefully hear more about that tonite as well, they dont such an incredible job on their first go.

Top Bottom