• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStationUK Confirms Crash Bandicoot N'sanely trilog Is a PlayStation 4 Exclusive

AzureFlame

you mean like a "playstation exclusive" sticker on the latest piece of advertising material?

what the hell sort of confirmation do people need these days? written and signed double spaced formal letter inserted into their ass cavity? lol

again, what about this?

Deadrising_boxart.jpg

Bumhead

Banned
I find the idea that there's this substantial "Crash fanbase" that has been holed up waiting for new games exclusively with PlayStation for 15-20 years to be pretty... far-fetched.

I definitely know people who are more "casual" gamers who have expressed interest in now buying a PS4 to play the Crash games.

I already own a PS4, but if I didn't and if Crash ended up being truly exclusive, to me that's a system seller.

Crash and Wipeout releasing inside a month is basically my childhood gaming experience coming to life again. Throw Tekken in too even though thats multi-plat. That's literally as important and exciting to me as a new Zelda or Mario is to people who played those games as children. I'm absolutely not alone in that amongst my generation either.

HardRojo

I definitely know people who are more "casual" gamers who have expressed interest in now buying a PS4 to play the Crash games.

I already own a PS4, but if I didn't and if Crash ended up being truly exclusive, to me that's a system seller.

Crash and Wipeout releasing inside a month is basically my childhood gaming experience coming to life again. Throw Tekken in too even though thats multi-plat. That's literally as important and exciting to me as a new Zelda or Mario is to people who played those games as children. I'm absolutely not alone in that amongst my generation either.
Holy shit you have just made me realize Crash, Wipeout and Tekken release in the same month. So many wallets will be suffering that month.

Resident Evil 4 would like to sit down with you and have a talk.

1 year exclusive is what it seems to be. Not that it matters much, Crash Bandicoot had it's prime days on Playstation, not elsewhere. An xbox port is gonna possibly be a flop. I can see a Switch version doing good though.

Nah doesn't change what I said. If you apply it at some point you'll see that it has changed. That's my point -it could change or not change in the future, but it is what it is in its current state. That's how it is with video games, and all this running around trying to go either way is wasted time.

Endo Punk

I honestly think Activision will do a disservice making Crash exclusive. Plenty of people have migrated to xb and pc since PS1 and would love to revisit the nostalgia days.

AndyVirus

It's exclusive.. until it isn't. I'd be insanely surprised if Activision don't announce it for other platforms by year's end.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You hate that a game is exclusive and is being more exposed than ever because it's back to being exclusive on the first console line it was created and became popular on?
Did you not read the posting? He clearly said that he hated the fact that the exclusivity is giving it more exposure than the game itself. He would prefer if the discussion was about the game itself rather than the matter if it is exclusive or not.

I mean the game as of now is exclusive. I think the argument is will it show up on other platforms later. I would assume so but right now it is an exclusive so if you want it better invest in a PS4.

I'm a little baffled when reading through any Crash thread. It was announced a year ago and it's now nearing release date, in that time Activision hasn't mentioned a single other potential platform. It isn't happening, this is a PS4 exclusive.

I honestly think Activision will do a disservice making Crash exclusive. Plenty of people have migrated to xb and pc since PS1 and would love to revisit the nostalgia days.
Looks like those people will have to get a PS4. There's probably some kind of contract here.

maxcriden

I'm a little baffled when reading through any Crash thread. It was announced a year ago and it's now nearing release date, in that time Activision hasn't mentioned a single other potential platform. It isn't happening, this is a PS4 exclusive.

Looks like those people will have to get a PS4. There's probably some kind of contract here.

I never understood the talk of it not being an exclusive but I'm glad for a direct answer about it.

Did you see the previous hubbub where PlayStation Ireland called it exclusive and had to amend their statement?

http://www.gamezone.com/news/playst...-trilogy-might-not-be-a-ps4-exclusive-3451076

That coupled with it never being announced or stated by either Activision or Sony as an exclusive in any press release indicates to me it is a timed exclusive.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
I dub it Schrodinger's Exclusivity Principle...

Basically a 1-year timed exclusive: have your cake, eat it then gloat twelve months later when someone else is trying to enjoy it.

It's a Activision game. Made by a Activision owned studio. Published by Activision, with the IP owned by Activision, with not a single mention of exclusivity in any of the press releases ever released about it, with no mention of Sony in the boxart. Playstation Ireland said it was exclusive but then they issue a correction saying it's timed.There's your source. They might as well paint "timed exclusivity" in bright neon letters at this point.

I don't give a shit if it is or not... but

You're trying to build this mountain between timed and full exclusive. Obviously we're talking about 3rd party exclusive here, so in essence, when talking exclusive (however long it is) timed is not a question. It's exclusive for now. That goes for any deal.

I still don't understand why these conversations are still happening especially in threads where say gameplay is being shown. It's announced for PS4 for now it should be treated as such should it not? At least that's what I was told when I asked about octopath traveler coming to PS4 Xp

Unknown?

They are not using the Sony's source code in the game, and Sony is not funding the development of the game.
Pretty bold claim when they said at E3 that they are working with Activision. Any source to back this up?

Did you see the previous hubbub where PlayStation Ireland called it exclusive and had to amend their statement?

http://www.gamezone.com/news/playst...-trilogy-might-not-be-a-ps4-exclusive-3451076

That coupled with it never being announced or stated by either Activision or Sony as an exclusive in any press release indicates to me it is a timed exclusive.
What would PS Irelands twitter know?

sense

The only way to stop these discussions would be if Sony come out and shout that this is a full on exclusive but that is never going to happen so people are going to think timed which is probably what this is. As a Playstation fan, this sort of shit is pretty annoying from both activision and Sony. Just come out and say what the heck is going on and be done with it.

coastel

I'm going to wait a year now before I buy this to make sure it is only on the ps4. Not interested in this if it's on other platform's.

GHG

Gold Member
well the only way to end the platform war here is if everyone gets to play this game on all platforms.

I dont see why I need to not have a PS4 to have a problem. I wish to play a game with better performance than the current PS4/Pro version.

This has nothing to do with growing up btw.

Do we even know how the game performs yet? Do we even know if the port would be good (if there is one)? This is a "problem" you are inventing for yourself.

And yes, it has everything to do with growing up, making your decisions and learning to live with them. If anyone thinks that bitching about exclusivity on the internet is going to change anything then they are in for a rude awakening.

the latest Crash Bandicoot games are multiplatforms.
To be specific, this is a remake of the ones that weren't, ND's original works which were indeed PS exclusives, not the multi platform games after ND stopped working on them.

Overall who cares, and what's up with this never-ending train? Lol...

This is ridiculous.

maxcriden

Sorry if I was unclear. That's the point exactly. PlayStation Ireland tweeted it was an exclusive. That blew up all over the web. Then they were forced to clarify and retract it staying the game is coming to PS4 first. Rather than exclusively. The retraction heavily indicates timed rather than full exclusivity.

Ash735

So are we back to saying Crash Bandicoot was never good again? The pendulum keeps swinging between "I can't wait to play this on Switch where it NATURALLY belongs" and "Crash Bandicoot was never good, it's just nostalgia, the gameplay won't hold up anymore!" depending on how exclusive it currently is. :p

GeoramA

The only way to stop these discussions would be if Sony come out and shout that this is a full on exclusive but that is never going to happen so people are going to think timed which is probably what this is. As a Playstation fan, this sort of shit is pretty annoying from both activision and Sony. Just come out and say what the heck is going on and be done with it.
I hope they keep quiet. I love the anxiety it creates among certain people.

Fj0823

Maybe Sony paid o lot of money to convince Activision to relase it only for PS4.

This is the only possible scenario for me.

There's no way they'd pass up on multiplatform unless Sony convinced them that their sales on X1 and Switch aren't worth it

Archtreyz

Personally, I don't see why Crash would be on any console except PlayStation? It's basically seen as a PlayStation brand. Some franchises such as Tomb Raider, RE, Crash, etc. are simply seen as branded to PlayStation. Crash would barely sell on Xbox or any other platform not named PlayStation.
Wait, Resident Evil? Resident Evil has been ported to anything and everything since the second one. I'd hardly call that a PlayStation associated brand, especially because at one point in time, RE had more exclusives with Nintendo than anybody.
Tomb Raider also made it's way to PC fairly early on as well. I think the major difference is that the original trilogy of Crash games has ONLY been on PlayStation, so of course there'd be some uproar if it went multiplatform. But I don't think Crash is still relevant enough anymore to matter. It'd wouldn't push that many units if it was a PlayStation exclusive anyways.

Unknown?

Sorry if I was unclear. That's the point exactly. PlayStation Ireland tweeted it was an exclusive. That blew up all over the web. Then they were forced to clarify and retract it staying the game is coming to PS4 first. Rather than exclusively. The retraction heavily indicates timed rather than full exclusivity.
That's all speculation, we don't know if they were forced to or not. They may have realized they actually don't know the details and to cover their butt they retracted it. Either way no one took either statement seriously because it's their twitter from Ireland. It'd be like some rep at Best Buy spouting off info he doesn't know about.

gtj1092

Any 3rd party​ game is a timed exclusive. I don't understand the examples of games releasing years later on another platform to somehow prove the initial exclusivity didn't exist.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Wait, Resident Evil? Resident Evil has been ported to anything and everything since the second one. I'd hardly call that a PlayStation associated brand, especially because at one point in time, RE had more exclusives with Nintendo than anybody.
Tomb Raider also made it's way to PC fairly early on as well. I think the major difference is that the original trilogy of Crash games has ONLY been on PlayStation, so of course there'd be some uproar if it went multiplatform. But I don't think Crash is still relevant enough anymore to matter. It'd wouldn't push that many units if it was a PlayStation exclusive anyways.

Uproar, your joking right? Literally every game released after the original trilogy for the past decade has been multiplatform.

If someone really gets into "uproar" over that they seriously and I mean seriously need to rearrange their priorities in life.

maxcriden

That's all speculation, we don't know if they were forced to or not. They may have realized they actually don't know the details and to cover their butt they retracted it. Either way no one took either statement seriously because it's their twitter from Ireland. It'd be like some rep at Best Buy spouting off info he doesn't know about.

That's a good point, we don't know for a fact if they were forced to retract it. Personally I think the the retraction itself (which I don't see why they wouldn't clarify with their parent company and the not retract if they were correct about it being a fill exclusive) combined with the fact it has never been formally stated in PR or at events by Activision or Sony to be an exclusive, when Sony like any first party has always gladly touted any exclusives, leads me to believe it is a timed exclusive only. I understand that is conjecture on my part, though.

I said the same thing about Marvel allowing Sony to publish IG's spiderman game, thus making it an exclusive. Huge mistake, or a lot of money involved.

AHA-Lambda

Pretty bold claim when they said at E3 that they are working with Activision. Any source to back this up?

Why wouldn't ps Ireland know?

I put more stock in a tweet purposefull sent out to clarify an earlier tweet, and one which still exists I believe, over a label, given Sony's history of misappropriating them

Chessr

If it wasn't exclusive, would that really have prevented you from wanting to get it the day it comes out?

What i meant was that i was hoping it would come to Switch. If it did, i would wait for that release :)

But if it do not like it seems to now. I will just get it day 1 on PS4 instead :)

Rembrandt

Banned
Personally, I don't see why Crash would be on any console except PlayStation? It's basically seen as a PlayStation brand. Some franchises such as Tomb Raider, RE, Crash, etc. are simply seen as branded to PlayStation. Crash would barely sell on Xbox or any other platform not named PlayStation.

Tomb Raider and RE are seen as Playstation brands? In what, the 90s?

Tagyhag

Sony are probably reading and waiting to drop that bomb at E3.

Would it really be a bomb? More like a bang snap lol.

But yeah I think at E3 Sony would make sure to tell people exactly what kind of exclusive it is.

Uproar, your joking right? Literally every game released after the original trilogy for the past decade has been multiplatform.

If someone really gets into "uproar" over that they seriously and I mean seriously need to rearrange their priorities in life.

Never underestimate the ability of fanboys. People were getting death threats over FF13 going to the Xbox 360. A series which many people forget did not actually begin on the Playstation.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Vicarious Visions has used the term "remaster plus" in describing whether the N. Sane Trilogy is a remaster or a remake multiple times. Vicarious Visions Also said that they do not consider it a remake, because they did not "fully remake" the original games, but rather used Naughty Dog's original code and level geometry to rebuild the gameplay from scratch.

Source assets are being used as "blueprints", to quote VV. In other words, they're simply guides, which makes perfect sense when you consider that said assets are 20 years old and were designed solely with a 20-year-old platform in mind.

As for what the remakes are, well, they are remakes. "Remaster+" is simply a term VV invented to drive home the fact that it's staying completely true to the original gameplay.

And bullshit Sony definitely spending money.

There's no need to be frustrated, especially as we actually agree. What I said is that Sony isn't funding the project -- or perhaps more accurately, directly funding it.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Why do people care about this?

We've seen gameplay footage. We know when it's releasing. Whether or not it comes to other platforms won't change either of those things. If you're already planning on buying it, will you not if it comes to other consoles?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
At this point it feels like people are freaking out at anything that comes out about this game in terms of it being exclusive or not. Its coming out very soon, might as well stop wringing your hands out over the game and just wait for launch and see what's happening first hand instead of speculating every time a bit of PR comes out that maybe confirms or maybe deconfirms exclusivity.

Kibbles

Why do people care about this?

We've seen gameplay footage. We know when it's releasing. Whether or not it comes to other platforms won't change either of those things. If you're already planning on buying it, will you not if it comes to other consoles?
... Not everyone has every console. I sold my PS4 last year. I'd like to play it, obviously I wouldn't buy it if it's not out on other platforms because I'd have no means to play it.

Top Bottom