• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStationUK Confirms Crash Bandicoot N'sanely trilog Is a PlayStation 4 Exclusive

So would have it been cool for MS to keep up the charade of ROTR being exclusive until it suddenly released elsewhere when the period was over, instead of being upfront about it?
Because people here threw some pretty big shitfits because ROTR. Is it only okay when Sony does it?

Charade? Wtf are you talking about, charade!? It was exclusive! "Shitfits" don't change the meaning of the word, lol. No matter how salty people get. The "shitfits" came because they paid SE not to release it on PS4.

MUnited83

For you.
OléGunner;233714878 said:
They should all clear it up sure (Activison, Sony, Vicarious)
I'm just saying, the game has some sort of exclusivity obviously.
Everyone knows that already though, that's not really the question here. The question is if it's actually exclusive (which doesnt seem likely looking at the facts), or timed.
That confirms it.

I thought it was a Timed Exclusive at first, but this is enough for me to believe it is a PS Exclusive.

Would prefer a PC version for level editing possibility.

Sony released a video last year after a PC port was confirmed calling Nier a "PS4 Exclusive".

Rymuth

So would have it been cool for MS to keep up the charade of ROTR being exclusive until it suddenly released elsewhere when the period was over, instead of being upfront about it?
??

MS kept the charade as long as possible.

Aaron Greenberg went as far to contradict Geoff Keighley directy when he broke the news it was times. You have a strange definition of 'upfront'

acm2000

the real question is, would any other platform even want crash? it doesnt hold up at all and it wasnt even massively great back in the day outside of its graphics (CTR was great tho)

MUnited83

For you.
??

MS kept the charade as long as possible.

Aaron Greenberg went as far to contradict Geoff Keighley directy when he broke the news it was times. You have a strange definition of 'upfront'

It was confirmed that it was timed way before release.

Charade? Wtf are you talking about, charade!? It was exclusive! "Shitfits" don't change the meaning of the word, lol. No matter how salty people get. The "shitfits" came because they paid SE not to release it on PS4.
That's how exclusives or timed exclusives work when they are not done by a first party, yes.

The wordings should still be differentiated. A timed exclusive is not the same thing as a actual exclusive.

Caayn

Why do you think companies pay for exclusives? Why do the big three fund titles?

the real question is, would any other platform even want crash? it doesnt hold up at all and it wasnt even massively great back in the day outside of its graphics (CTR was great tho)

acm2000
20 years dumb
(Today, 04:05 AM)

perfect timing.

but seriously.

every thread.

without fail.

Everyone knows that already though, that's not really the question here. The question is if it's actually exclusive (which doesnt seem likely looking at the facts), or timed.

I was responding to a poster saying they are lying on the promo.
I don't agree as there is some sort of exclusivity, you and others just want clarity which is fair enough.

Anyway, tbh I shouldn't have dragged myself into this.

MUnited83

For you.
OléGunner;233715108 said:
I was responding to a poster saying they are lying on the promo.
I don't agree as there is some sort of exclusivity, you and others just want clarity which is fair enough.

Anyway, tbh I shouldn't have dragged myself into this.

It should be something that is clarified from the get go. "Exclusive" and "timed exclusive" are pretty different things. One is "never going to happen", other is "it will eventually happen".
Why the agressivity though ?
We know why :)

leeh

What's the consensus here, do we think it's coming to Xbox a year after or so?

I don't care about the marketing materials, I just want to play it.

It should be something that is clarified from the get go. "Exclusive" and "timed exclusive" are pretty different things. One is "never going to happen", other is "it will eventually happen".

Yeah okay sure thing man.

What's the consensus here, do we think it's coming to Xbox a year after or so?

I don't care about the marketing materials, I just want to play it.

Pretty sure you'll play it on Xbone within a year.
Activision will naturally be looking to rake in as much cash as possible with this one.

Why do you think companies pay for exclusives? Why do the big three fund titles?

For reasons, whatever they might be is up to them. Who cares. MS published a game that was otherwise coming to every platform like the first reboot, thus people got angry. Nothing similar to Bayonetta or sfv where the Nintendo or Sony help fund the game to be made.

It was confirmed that it was timed way before release.

That's how exclusives or timed exclusives work when they are not done by a first party, yes.

The wordings should still be differentiated. A timed exclusive is not the same thing as a actual exclusive.

what other platforms is it coming out on? How long is it timed for? Can I get a source? Who said it?
... you know what, don't even bother.

Doc_Drop

It was confirmed that it was timed way before release .

Wasn't the main point of the hubbub around the announcement regarding the fact that it was essentially confirmed/announced then had timed exclusivity retroactively applied, after the first had come out on all platforms. Somewhat different cases no?

jmga

OléGunner;233714735 said:
How is it lying?
The game obviously has some sort of exclusivity attached to PS4.
I'd imagine it's that way for at least 6-12 months minimum.

Sony has been using explicit labels to remove ambiguity in exclusivity deals for quite some time:

- Full Exclusive: "Only on PlayStation" || "Playstation 4 Exclusive"
- PS4+PC: "Playstation 4 Console Exclusive"
- Timed Exclusive: "First on PS4" || "Console Debut"

They were more or less reliable in the beginning, but for some time they have been sending contradictory messages, telling lies on stage, labeling differently according to regions, etc.

Logic tells me that if there is some kind of ambiguity, then it won't be exclusive, because the only thing worse(from Sony's point of view) than people thinking it may come to other platforms is people knowing it will come for sure.

So yes, saying a game is exclusive if it is not going to be is lying.

$ony . Am I doing it right?

Without knowing who is funding what it's very unusual for a third party like activision to do a non timed exclusive .

Sure destiny etc had timed dlc but I'm struggling to think of any activision game that was exclusive to one platform.

MUnited83

For you.
what other platforms is it coming out on? How long is it timed for? Can I get a source? Who said it?
... you know what, don't even bother.

It's a Activision game. Made by a Activision owned studio. Published by Activision, with the IP owned by Activision, with not a single mention of exclusivity in any of the press releases ever released about it, with no mention of Sony in the boxart. Playstation Ireland said it was exclusive but then they issue a correction saying it's timed.There's your source. They might as well paint "timed exclusivity" in bright neon letters at this point.

samar11

Sony has been using explicit labels to remove ambiguity in exclusivity deals for quite some time:

- Full Exclusive: "Only on PlayStation" || "Playstation 4 Exclusive"
- PS4+PC: "Playstation 4 Console Exclusive"
- Timed Exclusive: "First on PS4" || "Console Debut"

They were more or less reliable in the beginning, but for some time they have been sending contradictory messages, telling lies on stage, labeling differently according to regions, etc.

Logic tells me that if there is some kind of ambiguity, then it won't be exclusive, because the only thing worse(from Sony's point of view) than people thinking it may come to other platforms is people knowing it will come for sure.

So yes, saying a game is exclusive if it is not going to be is lying.

So Sony is lying by saying 'ps4 exclusive'' ? or it is exclusive

Bluth54

Personally, I don't see why Crash would be on any console except PlayStation? It's basically seen as a PlayStation brand. Some franchises such as Tomb Raider, RE, Crash, etc. are simply seen as branded to PlayStation. Crash would barely sell on Xbox or any other platform not named PlayStation.

You think people still see Tomb Raider and Resident Evil as PlayStation franchises? What year do you think it is?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You think people still see Tomb Raider and Resident Evil as PlayStation franchises? What year do you think it is?

To be fair, yeah a lot of these franchises still have tons of Playstation mindshare, like Tekken and Final Fantasy for example.

It may not be anywhere near as much as it used to be by nature of being exclusive, but its still around.

KORNdoggy

Sony is lying by saying 'PS4 Exclusive' if it is not going to be exclusive.

"if" being the operative word. things can change. who's to say sony and activision haven't been in discussions up to this point to agree to terms of which the game is full exclusive, and so the latest piece of PR is our first official declaration of exclusivity?

the thing on the front page is the latest piece of information regarding the game being exclusive to PS4. it may not stick, but until i hear evidence to say otherwise, it's a full exclusive.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Wasn't the main point of the hubbub around the announcement regarding the fact that it was essentially confirmed/announced then had timed exclusivity retroactively applied, after the first had come out on all platforms. Somewhat different cases no?

Part of it I believe.

It was announced for X1 and PS4, then few months later MS said it was an X1 exclusive game holiday 2015 at E3, or was it gamescom?. They used very specific wording when they announced it though, but otherwise kept hush on its actual exclusivity for a few days until there was such a fuss over it that Phil I believe actually said that it had a time frame for exclusivity and left it at that. But people weren't happy that they had gotten exclusivity after the fact and/or they were wording it as if it was theirs forever, I imagine there was a few people that have been playing TR on PlayStation platforms since its first PS1 release so weren't really happy that their platform of choice was then being ignored.

I think it came out then that Square Enix weren't happy with how the whole thing was perceived, so I believe they went to MS, what was apparently 6 months or something of exclusivity turns into a console exclusive for X1 for a year but they were allowed to talk about the PC and PS4 versions, the PC version which then came out 2 months later.

Everyone has very specific on wording these days, PC has become a platform they can't ignore, especially since it's never been easier to port between devices. So now we have the console exclusive term which really comes down to it not being on PlayStation or Xbox seeing as Nintendo generally are doing their own thing.

Are there any examples of a game on PS4 that had the "PlayStation Exclusive" logo on it that later released for other platforms?
Would you be mad if Crash released on Nintendo Switch, Xbox Scorpio and PC even if you knew for sure you would get to play it on your beloved PS4?

Hektor

Personally, I don't see why Crash would be on any console except PlayStation? It's basically seen as a PlayStation brand. Some franchises such as Tomb Raider, RE, Crash, etc. are simply seen as branded to PlayStation. Crash would barely sell on Xbox or any other platform not named PlayStation.

DY1eA5o.png

jmga

"if" being the operative word. things can change. who's to say sony and activision haven't been in discussions up to this point to agree to terms of which the game is full exclusive, and so the latest piece of PR is our first official declaration of exclusivity?

the thing on the front page is the latest piece of information regarding the game being exclusive to PS4. it may not stick, but until i hear evidence to say otherwise, it's a full exclusive.

My skepticism tells me you are thinking exactly the way they want you to think. And of course they will avoid any direct clarification.

Son Of D

Are there any examples of a game on PS4 that had the "PlayStation Exclusive" logo on it that later released for other platforms?
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD and Dragon Quest Heroes both have "Only on Playstation" on their cover art. Both games have released on PC and DQH has a Switch port.

FyreWulff

Crash has been multiplat since the GameCube and had GameCube and original Xbox releases.

Can they even put on other platforms since it's technically Crash 1-3, which are still owned by Sony?

I was under the impression that Universal actually owned the assets to those games, not Sony, which Activision all got when they acquired Crash.

Behlel

Would you be mad if Crash released on Nintendo Switch, Xbox Scorpio and PC even if you knew for sure you would get to play it on your beloved PS4?
And would you be mad if Crash is a PS4 exclusive? Why it need to be on Xbox and Switch if it's a game made for Crash fan (aka the PS fan).

MUnited83

For you.
Can they even put on other platforms since it's technically Crash 1-3, which are still owned by Sony?

Crash 1-3 are owned by Activision, Sony only owns publishing rights, aka the rights to sell the original PS1 game.

The only Crash game Sony does own is CTR.
And would you be mad if Crash is a PS4 exclusive? Why it need to be on Xbox and Switch if it's a game made for Crash fan (aka the PS fan).

Factually, Crash fans are multiplatform and the series has more games multiplatform than it has PS ones. In fact there's basically almost as many Nintendo Crash exclusives too.

KORNdoggy

My skepticism tells me you are thinking exactly the way they want you to think. And of course they will avoid any direct clarification.

how much more direct do you want them to be than the exclusive sticker? they've made their claim. but if you want to sit there with a tinfoil hat on, then by all means.

i'll take it at face value until someone official says otherwise. it doesn't effect me or my purchasing decision either way.

Bumhead

Banned

I don't think this list of mostly bad and certainly mostly forgettable multiplatform games dissproves the point of the post you quoted.

The original Crash Bandicoot trilogy, which was when the series was at its best and at its most popular, was a PlayStation exclusive trilogy (plus Team Racing) that has never appeared on anything else. Lets not forget that Crash became the defacto mascot for PlayStation during this era and was leaned on heavily to advertise and market the entire brand during the 90's.

Crash has appeared on most systems since but the character and this specific collection of games are and always have been heavily associated with PlayStation. I don't care personally if the game goes multiplatform and to be honest would prefer if it did, but certainly among casual audiences I think it's reasonable that most people who own a PS4 will be playing this there.

jmga

how much more direct do you want them to be than the exclusive sticker? they've made their claim. but if you want to sit there with a tinfoil hat on, then by all means.

i'll take it at face value until someone official says otherwise. it doesn't effect me or my purchasing decision either way.

Maybe using that label everywhere and not only in one advertising email, or at least saying it is exclusive.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy-ps4/

http://www.crashbandicoot.com

https://www.activision.com/games/crash/crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I dont think there's much of an audience on any other platform. Maybe Vita?

What, there is no audience for Crash on Nintendo platforms? With numerous exclusive Crash games for GBA / NDS and Wii being the lead platform for the Mutant games, Crash should be very well-known to Nintendo's audience. Moreover, platformers typically do very well on Nintendo systems, which comes to no surprise, considering Nintendo themselves are the masters of the genre.

KORNdoggy

que dated links to dated sources... this is the why i said "latest PR"

and as is said, things might change. it's irrelevant either way. but i see no reason to say they're lying when there is no evidence to suggest it *shrugs*

EDIT: my actual theory is activision is simply playing it safe. the game might get released on other platforms if it performs well on PS4. which is why the messaging has been confused up until this point. but until someone says that is the case it's just another theory in a thread full of them. reality and in the here and now. the last piece of PR released for the game is claiming it's exclusive. that's good enough for me. if they change their mind in the future then that's good enough for me too.

Sony

Nintendo

So you think that if Crash were to come to Xbox people would think "this is a playstation brand I'm not going to buy it?". People that own both PS4/Xbox One might get it on PS4 due to nostalgic reasons but Xbox One only owners will not leave it on the store shelve, if they want the game, because it's a PS brand.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't understand the problem here even if it is exclusive.

Why do some people hate the idea of PS4 exclusives so much?

Well, I don't hate it, but since Crash Trilogy is the only game not on a dedicated game system I own that I am interested in, but it is a remake of games I already own for PS1, I would be glad if it came to Xbox One or Switch, because then I could buy it and also support my favourite genre with this. The added benefit would be that I could play the games with a controller where the left analogstick is in the primary position, which matters a great deal for me, so I would actually gain gameplay comfort out of it when compared to replaying the PS1 originals.

Also, one need not be a huge PlayStation fan to like Crash.

fantomena

Who giv'es a shit wherever it's exclusive or not? Just wait till release date or confirmation or something. It says it's exclusives in that mail so it's not exclusive until otherwise is said/announced.

That's been my motto since really the Halo Steam DB rumours. A game is not exclusive or coming to other plattforms until it's confirmed/announced. That way I'll never be dissapointed so right now Crash N'Sane is a full PS4 exclusive.

I don't understand the problem here even if it is exclusive.

Why do some people hate the idea of PS4 exclusives so much?

Do the latest mainline Halo games being Xbox exclusive get this much concern considering the earlier games were also out on the PC?

It's pretty transparent that some of y'all are picking and choosing when to be outraged about this whole console exclusive thing.

It mainly comes from some of PC GAF. They assume a great injustice is done to their preferred platform and chuck in the occasional insecurity when PS4 gets exclusives they would like to play.

Behlel

Crash 1-3 are owned by Activision, Sony only owns publishing rights, aka the rights to sell the original PS1 game.

The only Crash game Sony does own is CTR.

Factually, Crash fans are multiplatform and the series has more games multiplatform than it has PS ones. In fact there's basically almost as many Nintendo Crash exclusives too.
And yet this remaster is made because only the PS fan had requested it.
Have you seen MS/N fan asking for a crash remaster to their company? No they only port beg because this is coming on PS4 thanks to the demand made by the PS users.
The reality is that crash is remembered only for the first trilogy made by Naughty Dog the other are more or less forgettable games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Who giv'es a shit wherever it's exclusive or not? Just wait till release date or confirmation or something. It says it's exclusives in that mail so it's not exclusive until otherwise is said/announced.

That's been my motto since really the Halo Steam DB rumours. A game is not exclusive or coming to other plattforms until it's confirmed/announced. That way I'll never be dissapointed so right now Crash N'Sane is a full PS4 exclusive.

This thread was created as the label runs contrary to PlayStation IE's clarification the other week, and people are debating whether or not the trilogy is exclusive, or the extent to which it's exclusive, because that's the topic of discussion. For the most part, at least, said posters (myself included) are just trying to make sense of a needlessly unclear situation, not attempting to win a point for list wars.

jmga

It mainly comes from some of PC GAF. They assume a great injustice is done to their preferred platform and chuck in the occasional insecurity when PS4 gets exclusives they would like to play.

TBH, the GAF console community is the most insecure here when talking about exclusives, I have yet to see the PC community actively trying to make console players desist in their thoughts of PC exclusives coming to consoles.

But every time someone suggests a console "exclusive" may come to other platforms, a lot of people jump into the thread trying to convince everybody that it won't happen.

Hektor

The irony behind this post is out of this freakin' world

But every time someone suggests a console "exclusive" may come to other platforms, a lot of people jump into the thread trying to convince everybody that it won't happen.

Fun Fact: The poster you are replying too is one of the most notorious posters for doing this :D

Top Bottom