• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playtonic unveils Yooka-Laylee (Banjo Kazooie successor) [Kickstarter LIVE - Funded]

robotrock

Banned
I sincerely hope so. Like I have no problem with 30 fps games, but something about the Toybox demo didn't feel right to me.

I had a lot of issues with the Toybox performance on PC, and something about the controls also didn't really feel right to me. Camera movement almost felt stiff?

Anyways I had a chance to look at the game recently at PAX and totally thought it was looking great though, running at a smooth 60. Camera movement looked waaaaaaay more fluid than what it was in the Toybox.

Lynd7

I commented on some video ages ago about the fps on the toybox, someone replied saying the later demo or fuller game wasn't as bad and seemed smooth.

No idea though, but I'd thought I'd throw that out there.

watershed

Banned
Something minor is beginning to bother me about this game. When you or npcs speak, the entire line of dialogue is voiced in that retro nonsense sound. At first it was charming, but the sounds repeat for every line of dialogue. It's not just a short exclamation like in Zelda games, it's long and quickly starts to lose the retro charm and becomes annoying. Will there be an option to turn off voices? I hope so.

Luigi87

That's how it was in Banjo-Kazooie. It's just their jibber-jabber speech.
Being said, they will probably have a volume slider for voices.

Eusis

It's a Unity game, so sadly that's why the framerate is terrible, we're talking about the same engine BroForce uses, a 2D Sprite Game, that causes dips into the 20's. It's pretty much the sole reason this game isn't 60fps on consoles.
What's crazy is that I have a laptop with a GPU roughly on par with the XB1 and a bit below PS4, so games run in the same ballpark or somewhat worse usually... but then something like Torment runs like crap on PS4 but is seemingly a solid 60 FPS on the laptop.

Must be murder on AMD CPUs (and weak CPUs in general). Unless Unity fucked up in some special way for consoles. Hopefully a sequel goes UE4 or something, it's looking nice for Square Enix anyway.

So JonTron talk aside...

Recently got to try the Toybox+ demo on PS4.

This has been my most anticipated game after Zelda... But the framerate was bugging me... I have never been bothered by framerates or frame pacing (Bloodborne, FFXV High mode never bothered me) , but something about Yooka-Laylee is making me uncomfortable, and I was wondering if anyone else experienced similar issue.

Optimization is often the final part of game development, i wouldn't worry too much.

That's really stupid.
It's just going to draw attention to this game in a bad way.

Its the right thing to do.

hydruxo

Something minor is beginning to bother me about this game. When you or npcs speak, the entire line of dialogue is voiced in that retro nonsense sound. At first it was charming, but the sounds repeat for every line of dialogue. It's not just a short exclamation like in Zelda games, it's long and quickly starts to lose the retro charm and becomes annoying. Will there be an option to turn off voices? I hope so.

That's been a staple of Banjo games since the beginning. I can understand if it's a bit jarring at first, but really you get used to it as you play and it's part of the charm. I'd imagine you can turn them off if you really want to though.

illusionary

Looking at the comments on the Kickstarter, just... wow, some people are taking this *really* badly (not to mention, completely missing the point of how Kickstarter works, but that's another matter entirely..).

Would it be unfair to suggest that it's just getting hit by those who are JonTron's fans wanting to blow this up into a bigger issue than it should be?

Personally, I'm still somewhat annoyed that it was necessary to choose to change to a Switch version prior to the system's release (hence I held off from doing so), but worst case I'll hopefully just look to sell my PS4 code (I have a physical retail copy on order) and re-buy on Switch when it releases. I'm still very much looking forward to the game - I just hope that it's not too hard to make some time for it!

Schlomo

It's a Unity game, so sadly that's why the framerate is terrible, we're talking about the same engine BroForce uses, a 2D Sprite Game, that causes dips into the 20's. It's pretty much the sole reason this game isn't 60fps on consoles.

It's also the same engine that makes INSIDE run at a perfect 60 fps on PS4 with great AA and awesome lighting.

That said, I chose the PC version of Yooka Laylee because I don't really have faith in their optimization abilities.

Just took the plunge for Steam version. I will mess around with the toybox later this weekend. Does anyone have any links to recent previews of the PC build of the game? I am hoping this runs great on PC.

Sponge

Banned
Just wanted to say as someone that's wanted a new Banjo game for the last decade, I'm so excited that Yooka-Laylee exists. Can't believe we're only a few weeks away.

Eusis

It's also the same engine that makes INSIDE run at a perfect 60 fps on PS4 with great AA and awesome lighting.

That said, I chose the PC version of Yooka Laylee because I don't really have faith in their optimization abilities.
Part of the issue is being an open-ish 3D platformer. Those aren't guaranteed to run badly (see Mario Galaxy onwards) but they'd be a lot more demanding than the lower end stuff that Unity actually seems to be for. It seems like Unity when used right is an amazing engine for smaller indie games... and a nightmare for those of a larger scale. Nevermind when it's just not used well (Broforce PS4?)

shiyrley

Banned
Guys, is there any way to switch from the PC version to the Switch version if I already backed the game on Kickstarter and selected the Steam key?

Eusis

You wouldn't have been able to change from Steam to a console version either way - you'd have needed to back at a higher tier, so they didn't offer the ability to change in that case.
Yeah, it'd be nice if we had the option for a last minute bump, but ah well.

illusionary

Yeah, it'd be nice if we had the option for a last minute bump, but ah well.

I'm personally regretting not changing from PS4 to Switch when we had the chance, but prior to the system's release I wasn't convinced that I would want to. I have a retail PS4 copy coming regardless, so I'll just sell my PS4 Kickstarter key if there's no other option.

JonnyKong

I hope the physical copies are sent out in time to arrive for the 11th. I'll be upset if I won't get to play it on the same day people can buy the game digitally.

Gartooth

I have the PS4 version as my backer reward but if the game delivers I absolutely plan to double dip and get it on the Switch. I just hope it has good pacing like Banjo-Kazooie and not like Tooie (still love it) or DK64.

My barometer for this game's success is how good it is at following up a 1998 game, modern conventions be damned!

I know it probably won't review above a 90 MC due to being a retro collectathon, but if that's the case then I'm glad they made those sacrifices for their longtime fans.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
You wouldn't have been able to change from Steam to a console version either way - you'd have needed to back at a higher tier, so they didn't offer the ability to change in that case.
I switched from Steam to PS4 by sending them a message through Backerkit, they increased my tier and I then had to pay an extra £5. I don't think it's possible now though unfortunately.

nkarafo

That's been a staple of Banjo games since the beginning. I can understand if it's a bit jarring at first, but really you get used to it as you play and it's part of the charm. I'd imagine you can turn them off if you really want to though.
I actually prefer it this way. It gives the game a certain character. I prefer having silly sounds VS silly voice acting that may or not be any good tbh.

It reminds me of Starfox on the SNES. Although, i did like the proper voice acting in 64 as well but this series isn't as tongue and cheek or comedic as RARE 3D platformers are, it does have a more serious back story, sort of.

Jacknapes

Can't wait now, just over 2 weeks away. If there was ever a game that can revisit my childhood gaming memories, this would be it.

Eusis

Can't believe this was announced nearly two years ago, and now it's nearly finally here.

It's bloody scary how fast time goes.
Its fast for a major Kickstarter game too. Just contrast with Bloodstained, now set for next year, and Shenmue 3, which... is going to be Shenmue, I guess! And those were launched at the same time with Bloodstained on paper being probably a similar scope to this, though the stretch goals probably messed with that.

Then from the opposite angle (games releasing NOW) there's Torment, that had its Kickstarter two years earlier but only launched a month earlier.

JonnyKong

Its fast for a major Kickstarter game too. Just contrast with Bloodstained, now set for next year, and Shenmue 3, which... is going to be Shenmue, I guess! And those were launched at the same time with Bloodstained on paper being probably a similar scope to this, though the stretch goals probably messed with that.

Then from the opposite angle (games releasing NOW) there's Torment, that had its Kickstarter two years earlier but only launched a month earlier.

Plus we're getting this before A Hat in Time which seems to be taking forever!

I watched an online hands-on earlier.

There is NO PS4 PRO SUPPORT.

I thought it was mandatory now?

Super disappointing, was hoping for frame rate increase to 60, if not a slightly higher res.. :(

EDIT: hoping for a pro patch day 1 maybe?

Super disappointing, was hoping for frame rate increase to 60, if not a slightly higher res.. :(

It's mandatory that the game supports and works on Pro, not that it actually has a enhanced pro mode. It sounds weird because it is, because all PS4 games naturally work on Pro as-is.

Camjo-Z

I'm going to wait to see the comparisons, if its more like Kazooie or Tooie.

Me preferring Kazooie more.

Everything we've seen so far has a definite Kazooie vibe. The worlds are larger than ever but the things you do in them are much more self-contained than Tooie's cross-world challenges and multi-part Jiggies.

Tohsaka

Guess I'll be going with the PC version, then.

Everything we've seen so far has a definite Kazooie vibe. The worlds are larger than ever but the things you do in them are much more self-contained than Tooie's cross-world challenges and multi-part Jiggies.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I'll just hold a bit more to see what other Kazooie fans thinks when they play it.

I guess maybe if they keep the framerate unlocked then boost mode might do a bit of magic for stability, but yeah it has Pro support it's just not Pro Enhanced

Boost mode made 0 difference on the Toybox demo. Of course that was a super early unoptimized demo.

Pretty sure frame rate willb e locked to 30.

Top Bottom