• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poachers kill rangers trying to protect Elephants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmax

Elephant poachers killed three rangers in Democratic Republic of Congo's Garamba wildlife park and wounded two other people including the Swedish park manager, environmental officials said.

U.S. forces in the area evacuated the others, but two of them died of their injuries a day later at a military base in neighboring Central African Republic, the organization added. The survivors were in a stable condition.

"Rangers put their lives on the line each and every day, and are under real siege in Garamba protecting elephants from heavily incentivized and militarized poaching gangs," African Parks chief executive Peter Fearnhead said in a statement.

Africa's elephant population is estimated to have dwindled by 60 percent over the past decade, and around 30,000 elephants are poached each year largely to supply ivory to Asian countries, say campaigners.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-congodemocratic-poachers-attack-idUSKCN0XM0TZ

This shit needs to stop. smh

Booser

Fuck these people seriously. Poaching is the epitome of the greedy, short sighted fuckery we are guilty off. What are you gonna do when they're all dead? Dumbasses.

Tenebrous

Can't be thankful enough to those laying everything on the line to protect our endangered species.

As for the fucks responsible... Sigh. I'd love to see them get eviscerated.

Elephants are going to go extinct. It's sad, but inevitable, because the Ivory black market won't dry up until there aren't enough left to save the species.

Chariot

Can we use some of that giant military budget to stop these fuckers?
That's not how it works. It's not about not being able to fight them in 1:1, it's about having safeguards who protect the area forever, that's a long process. There is no "one and done" with poaching.

Tenebrous

That's not how it works. It's not about not being able to fight them in 1:1, it's about having safeguards who protect the area forever, that's a long process. There is no "one and done" with poaching.

Just execute a few of em & see who's brave enough to continue doing it.
I know they'd continue doing it... Sigh.

dan2026

The worse scumbags are the people who are buying this ivory and creating a market for this evil.

How the fuck do they live with themselves?

This is awful. Utter bastards who would do this, or hunt any endangered animal like this. Within a few decades I can see the only surviving elephants being in captivity.

Are the park rangers armed, and if so are they allowed to shoot poachers?

PillarEN

So they not only kill elephants, but people too. Straight up murderers.
And those of you buying ivory... why? I know I know the medicinal myth which is a really unfortunate reasoning. I'm more pissed at the folks who buy it for the sake of owning ivory just as a commodity. It's not even ignorance on their part. At that point it's just a spit in the face.

M52B28

Banned
I considered the Marine Corp in my lifetime, but these fuckers are the ones I want to fight.

I read about other park rangers that were killed recently as well. They were surrounded and picked off by a large group of poachers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom