• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poachers massacre 68 elephants in Congo with chainsaws and shooting from helicopters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warning: Graphic image in news article

http://www.newsdaily.com/article/a7...f99/poachers-massacre-elephants-in-congo-park

Fuck this world, fuck poachers and where the fuck do I sign up to kill these sub-humans?

I can't handle shit like this. There are so many things going wrong yet nothing happens to solve these issues.

Snippets for people that want to avoid the image:

One of Africa's oldest national parks is under attack "from all fronts," its director said Friday after 68 elephants were slaughtered in two months by poachers, some of whom shot them from helicopters.

Garamba National Park in the Democratic Republic of Congo is under constant assault by renegade Congolese soldiers, gunmen from South Sudan and others. And this is just a slice of the poaching carnage: international wildlife regulators say 20,000 elephants were killed in Africa alone in 2013.

Conservationists say a thriving ivory market in Asia is helping to fuel the worst poaching epidemic of African elephants in decades.

A 2012 census found just 2,000 elephants in Garamba Park, down from 20,000 in the 1960s.

One group of poachers in the park is shooting the elephants from a helicopter and then chopping off their tusks with chain saws, removing the elephants' brains and genitals as well. In some cases the attacks seem indiscriminate, killing baby elephants that do not yet possess the valuable ivory tusks.

The Johannesburg-based African Parks group, which manages Garamba, said since mid-April, the 5,000-square kilometer (1,900-square mile) park has faced an onslaught from several bands of poachers who have already killed 4 percent of its elephants.

"The situation is extremely serious," Garamba park manger Jean-Marc Froment said in the statement. "The park is under attack on all fronts."

Conservationists say a thriving ivory market in Asia is helping to fuel the worst poaching epidemic of African elephants in decades.

A 2012 census found just 2,000 elephants in Garamba Park, down from 20,000 in the 1960s.

One group of poachers in the park is shooting the elephants from a helicopter and then chopping off their tusks with chain saws, removing the elephants' brains and genitals as well. In some cases the attacks seem indiscriminate, killing baby elephants that do not yet possess the valuable ivory tusks.

African Parks, which runs seven parks in six countries in cooperation with local authorities, said the poachers include renegade elements of the Congolese army, gunmen from South Sudan and members of the Lord's Resistance Army, a militant rebel group whose fugitive leader Joseph Kony is an alleged war criminal.

In one skirmish with poachers, park guards had to protect themselves from hand grenades thrown by Southern Sudanese poachers, some of whom were wearing military uniforms.

akira28

So lets do the same to poachers? I wouldn't complain very loudly. Not the massacre part, but yes lets chase them with chainsaws and shoot them from helicopters.

Thank you cultural dipshits and your voodoo cures for the sniffles.

what voodoo do you know of that uses elephant ivory? what exactly are you trying to say?

kswiston

Asia's growing wealth and zero shits given for animals among a large portion of its population is putting us back to where we were 50-100 years ago with regards to animal conservation in some areas.

Africa is poor. If people can make cash selling ivory to the growing middle and upper class in China, they are going to poach elephants. If the ivory market was gone, Elephants wouldn't be targeted nearly as often (unfortunately the bush meat market still exists).

Mr Swine

Banned
This is so freaking disgusting :(

So what happens when elephants, rhinos and other animals in Africa go extinct? What are the poachers going to hunt down then?

Liha

Banned

So what happens when elephants, rhinos and other animals in Africa go extinct? What are the poachers going to hunt down then?

These people are just too stupid to think about that. My greenpeace and WWF heart bleeds :(

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Every asshole that buy or own ivory should be jail for at least 10 years.

Can we just send snipers there?

Probably some other nearly extinct animal.

They'll always have some bullshit reason for killing and selling rare animal parts.

Espada

Every other exotic animal ignorant people think will improve their lives in some way. It'll keep going until we run out of animals or people are educated so they don't fall for folk remedy junk.

sarcastor

I don't think poachers care about long term investments. One can only assume the money is right and the money is right now

Damn Asian markets and their love of fake aphrodisiacs

lmpaler

I foolishly believe this had died out basically. Who buys Ivory anymore and for what?

I was dead wrong, holy shit.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I dont want to see the picture, all I can say is fuck everyone involved so hard. Disgusting pieces of shit that dont deserve the air they breath.

It's really time that humanity stands up against speciesism. We already stand up against racism, sexism and so many other injustices. Not that we have succeeded at weeding these things out. Perhaps we can't, because they are somehow driven by natural inclinations. But still as long as speciesism goes unchecked in the world, situations like these will exist, in one form or another.

EulaCapra

My heart just sank from the thread title. I can't even imagine what those people who are trying to protect them must be going through.

Vyroxis

Banned
what voodoo do you know of that uses elephant ivory? what exactly are you trying to say?

The Chinese are to blame for most of the poaching that happens in regards to elephants. Not only do they allow the sale and trade of ivory carvings, but ivory powder is widely considered a cure for cancer and to help purify toxins in the body. All of which is bullshit. Much like a tigers penis curing impotence, another famous bullshit cure spread by idiots to fuel their poaching trade.

kswiston

I foolishly believe this had died out basically. Who buys Ivory anymore and for what?

I was dead wrong, holy shit.

0013729e3c900cdb181d49.jpg

Is poaching legal?

No, some countries have a kill on sight policy to poachers.

EDIT: Also, poaching by definition is illegal hunting

Spineker

Banned
There is an element of pure "fuck you" from the poachers when they're killing the babies. Just utterly devoid of humanity.

I believe buying and selling ivory is illegal in the US.

It's also technically illegal in China but the enforcement is so poor it may as well be legal. They split hairs between ivory harvested from animals that die of old age and supplies from poachers, but there's so much money in the illicit trade that everyone looks the other way and no attempts are made to verify the 'clean' ivory from the stuff taken by expeditions like these.

Byebye in advance, elephants... You were a beautiful species...

... Annnndddd I just looked at the picture. Bit of advice: Do not look at the picture. It's horrible. If you thought that they were doing it for a living, then look at the picture to confirm that they're bastards. Urgh. It'd be nice if the people who want to protect animals outnumbered the people who want to kill them for a change.

Urgh. It'd be nice if the people who want to protect animals outnumbered the people who want to kill them for a change.

Wouldn't it? Sadly almost every human alive is guilty of hurting/killing animals every day. My guess is the majority of those responding in this thead included.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Put a world ban on ivory.

BTW people buy the ivory hoping elephants will go extinct so that it goes up in value as a result of this.

werks

Banned
Wouldn't it? Sadly almost every human alive is guilty of hurting/killing animals every day. My guess is the majority of those responding in this thead included.

Why don't you take your agenda elsewhere. We aren't killing cows or chicken to extinction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom