• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poachers massacre 68 elephants in Congo with chainsaws and shooting from helicopters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azuran

Banned
I think this actually is the policy in some areas. However, going after the families seems a bit extreme to me.

Sounds fair to me. These monsters showed no compassion even to babies, so lets just get rid of their DNA infesting the world altogether.

Sec0nd

0013729e3c900cdb181d49.jpg

No, some countries have a kill on sight policy to poachers.

EDIT: Also, poaching by definition is illegal hunting

Good.

SJRB

Gold Member
The pics are harsh. Send in the army, "we" need to hunt these fools down and lock them up for life.

StayDead

Another reason why I hate humanity. It's sad to think that not only just elephants are losing their lives here, guards of the parks are also being killed year on year purely for trying to show compassion and protect some of the most amazing, beautiful animals on earth.

MacNille

Banned
Burn all of those fucking pochers. Burn them to hell and all the buyes as well. Those fucking idiots believe that a horn will make your penis hard. Kill them all.

PirateKing

Sounds fair to me. These monsters showed no compassion even to babies, so lets just get rid of their DNA infesting the world altogether.

Fuck is wrong with some of you here? So if your mother, dad, sister or any family did something horrible, do you want their actions reflect you and get your teeth out? Or in your case wiped out?

I always hope I could become a billionaire so I could set up a secret organisation with all kinds of amazing ex-militaries and Special Ops or whatever, trying to hunt down these kinds of people and do the same to them. Eventually killing them.

No, some countries have a kill on sight policy to poachers.

The consequences of poaching isn't just the death of the animal being killed; it can often be the extinction of a whole species.

The life of a poacher is nothing compared to that. I believe anybody found guilty of poaching anywhere should be executed (maybe not "kill on sight" though). It would send a strong message, and there would be fewer instances of it.

happypup

Fuck is wrong with some of you here? So if your mother, dad, sister or any family did something horrible, do you want their actions reflect you and get your teeth out? Or in your case wiped out?

My guess is it is an expression of outrage mixed with hyperbole. I don't think anybody really wants to go out and murder people because of this but the internet message board doesn't convey emotion very well so hyperbole helps to express the depth of the emotions that are being felt where, in person, it would be easily seen in the person's face.

I am really upset by this. You probably read that in a very flat tone, where I am thinking it in a very angry, perturbed, and disheartened tone. A description of the depths of my anger, an allegory expressing my rage including descriptions of how I wish to punish these people will convey the emotional state I am in better as long as people recognize it is not a genuine expression of my desire to kill people but a description of my emotional state at the news.

Neidii

When I read this I choked up. People can be real scumbags. Why would you want to massacre a bunch of elephants, it's horrible.

Norua

Banned
Fuck them.

Isn't there an organization that defends animals against poachers in Africa (and I mean on the field with weapons)? I forgot the name.

entremet

Don't these poachers and their clients understand basic ecology?

They're going to kill off their precious source of ivory if this continues.

If they were intelligent, poachers would not be poachers.

They need to become extinct right the fuck now.
I volunteer to poach the poachers.

Uncledick

Banned
Western countries had their way with Africa, no doubt. But by the end of this century China will make it look like child's play. Africa's forests, animals, land and minerals will be consumed by the largest middle/upper class the world has ever seen.

The Chinese are close to home as well. They have been buying Canadian farmland, mines, forests like there's no tomorrow.

magnetic

Poachers are horrible people, sure. But it´s no wonder they´re going for the elephants in such a poor country - to them, they´re basically big, open targets with stacks of cash growing out of their head.

If idiots who believe in snakeoil bullshit didn´t pay top dollar for it, there would be no reason for people in those incredibly poor countries to go on killing sprees like that.

In the end, it´s poverty and superstition that is killing these elephants. As always, money is ruining everything.

(There´s also no way I´m clicking that link, just reading about it ruined my day enough already.)

jstripes

Banned

Here's their thinking along those lines: "If I don't poach those elephants and get the money, someone else will, so I better poach them before they're gone."

Pieces of shit should get caged in with any of the surviving elephants. Elephants live a damn long time and remember a LOT of things.

...Ugh hopefully the new generation of kids will not tolerate any of this whole ivory bullshit (the main driver for this are assholes from countries who want rare things).

In the end, it´s poverty and superstition that is killing these elephants. As always, money is ruining everything.
So...people.

Yes, we know.

Pieces of shit should get caged in with any of the surviving elephants.
People always target the poor people doing the dirty work.

Cage the people buying the shit creating the market and the distributors creating the pathway for them to be served.

Diablos

Unbelievable that in this day and age people still believe these bullshit myths.

It makes you wonder how many of them actually believe in them or if it is just a lie/excuse because they get off on killing...

Guerilla

Shoot on site poachers if animal lives are at stake, if not life sentences for poachers, traders and rich scum that buy that shit. Enough is fucking enough.

I would televise the execution for the assholes that allow this market to thrive, and I would make it insanely brutal, just so that everyone gets the picture of what's coming to them when they promote this sort of action.

Monsters should be treated as monsters. Of course... it probably takes a monster to carry that kind of punishment out anyway.

Well.....it's time to make a kickstarter.

Let's design drones that can help out wildlife refugees by netting poachers and shooting down helicopters. It's time these black markets got a taste of their own medicine

International student team creating an unmanned aerial vehicle system to combat African rhino poaching and illicit wildlife trafficking

Team AREND is a project of Wildlife Protection Solutions (WPS), a Colorado 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. WPS is an international non-profit group dedicated to the conservation of endangered species. Its current focus is on the five species of rhinos world-wide, with a special emphasis on creating habitat and breeding programs that will allow rhino populations to grow faster than they are being poached.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/846841162/team-arend-wildlife-conservation-uav?ref=category

A team was formed several months ago by a group of DC DUG and Nova-Labs members and they are off to a great start, but they need more help from people like you. The team needs designers, programmers, hardware folks, 3D printers gurus, wildlife experts, and lots of people with good ideas to help put it all together.

The team currently has a flying fixed-wing UAV which has flown successfully, but more needs to be done. In order to win this competition, the team has to make the system user friendly, cost effective, and is great at spotting animals, poachers, and vehicles.

There are lots of good ideas out there and if you would like to be a part of the future winning team then sign up for the meetup group at Nova Labs and come on in for the official Nova Labs wcUAVc kickoff!

We'll form project teams based on systems and skills and discuss schedules for completion.
http://www.meetup.com/NOVA-Makers/events/170822852/

Something like this might be an idea too:
[oct 24, 2012]
SA devs tackle rhino poaching with Kickstarter game
Rhino Rumble aims to raise rhino poaching awareness and charity funding through KickStarter game project
http://mygaming.co.za/news/news/46348-sa-devs-tackle-rhino-poaching-with-kickstarter-game.html

Kadayi

Banned
what voodoo do you know of that uses elephant ivory? what exactly are you trying to say?

I saw it as a generalization against mysticism and the damaging ideas such things propagate but I guess feel free to turn it into something else, because I'm sure the thread needs a derail.

Not too sure what can actively be done about the poaching, but some serious effort by the Chinese authorities and the like to dispel notions of the medicinal effects wouldn't go amiss. The problem is of course it's not necessarily clear whether there's much motivation there.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
This makes me so broken hearted. These animals are humanity's to protect and learn from. Poachers are some of the worst type of people in the world.

charsace

One reason why people go after them is because they are smarter than a lot of other animals. It is almost always the smarter animals that people hunt for these stupid mystical cures and what not.

Booshka

Fuck these people and their cultures that believe in this shit and support this heinous practice. I fucking hate humans, most intelligent species does the absolute dumbest shit possible on a daily basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom