• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poachers massacre 68 elephants in Congo with chainsaws and shooting from helicopters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Open season on Poachers.

Rocket launchers for everyone.

Pollux

I already tried to explain why it should be the agenda of all those that show concern within this topic. Don't get mad because I'm pointing out the obvious. Fact of the matter is that we kill animals to get stuff that we want, regardless is we really need it. That's the issue that should be addressed. Of course we could just ignore that and fill this topic with comments like "Those evil bastards". But I thought it might be a good idea to show that those mechanics in principle are also at work in our own everyday lives, even if that doesn't involve endangered species. If we want to combat a symptom, in general it's wise to look at it's causes and combat those too.
You can't seriously be comparing killing an endangered species to killing chickens?

Portugeezer

Gold Member
So are human traffickers who force women into prostitution.
I said damn! Dat market though...

But I agree, this point has been brought up a few times and I don't get it. Poaching is illegal where people do these things, it's not like it's some legal trade in Congo that is only illegal in the west. Hating the poachers is the right thing, like hating drug traffickers and human traffickers, and not just the idiots who buy and or take advantage of people.

We have to inform people who buy this stuff of what it really is, I saw a documentary not too long ago in which Chinese people thought Elephant tusks were just removed and grew back, not that they were killed, etc. Ignorance is still prevalent.

Then you will always have dicks who will want to buy this stuff regardless of knowing how it is obtained, so in some ways the market will always be there but that doesn't give them a right to be "served"... no, fuck them and fuck poachers.

akira28

I saw it as a generalization against mysticism and the damaging ideas such things propagate but I guess feel free to turn it into something else, because I'm sure the thread needs a derail.

well maybe he needs to be more careful with his posts, and maybe he got the point, and maybe you need to drop it instead of picking it up again since you can only guess at what it was turning into. And the answer he was looking for is "traditional eastern medicine".

You can destroy the stockpiles of ivory in a crusher and make it as illegal as you like. as long as you don't deal with the demand, as long as people believe it has health benefits, the market can go away and come back any time.

Braag

Stories like this make my blood boil. Like those stories of dogs getting skinned alive in china and such.
I wish nothing but death to the people who do such things..

Jesus christ at the people deciding to take that post in a dumb direction.

Education, both with the traditional medicine demands, and with the locals who poach,is the right way not just culling people from this earth.

diamount

Banned
They need to actively pay those rangers better. It wouldn't surprise me if they actively turn a blind eye out of fear of death or getting paid of themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom