• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poachers massacre 68 elephants in Congo with chainsaws and shooting from helicopters

Status
Not open for further replies.

kess

That thread with the Yangtze River Dolphin and other extinct mammals looks like it'll have another soon to be extinct animal to talk about at this rate.

These people are just too stupid to think about that. My greenpeace and WWF heart bleeds :(

let's get one thing straight: the demand for ivory comes from developed countries and 'these people' are playing into that demand. If ivory was worthless, they wouldn't do this.

and let's not play into another round of dehumanization. Yes, I would like to shoot any poacher on sight too, but I would much rather shoot the rich bastard paying for it. Which is usually 'someone like us' and not an "altogether different kind of creature".

N.Domixis

Banned
It's time to execute poachers on the spot no questions asked. If they see poachers, they should be gunned downed. Then go find there families and pull their fucking theeth out. show no mercy on there asses. Make them go extinct.

Why don't you take your agenda elsewhere. We aren't killing cows or chicken to extinction.

I already tried to explain why it should be the agenda of all those that show concern within this topic. Don't get mad because I'm pointing out the obvious. Fact of the matter is that we kill animals to get stuff that we want, regardless is we really need it. That's the issue that should be addressed. Of course we could just ignore that and fill this topic with comments like "Those evil bastards". But I thought it might be a good idea to show that those mechanics in principle are also at work in our own everyday lives, even if that doesn't involve endangered species. If we want to combat a symptom, in general it's wise to look at it's causes and combat those too.

draetenth

It's time to execute poachers on the spot no questions asked. If they see poachers, they should be gunned downed. Then go find there families and pull their fucking theeth out. show no mercy on there asses. Make them go extinct.

I think this actually is the policy in some areas. However, going after the families seems a bit extreme to me.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Such a terrible way for these creatures to be killed, and for a shitty reason too.

Too far.

Stet

Banned
Another species hunted to near extinction by locals -- but for Chinese export? Colour me surprised.

Shameful. The only way to end it is to get rid of the demand.
more and more people are getting richer in countries like China and Vietnam so the demand will not go away anytime soon. i feel like deadly force at the front line and raise awareness in those countries are ways to save these animals.

Poona

Not in Congo, but the worlds largest Elephant, was just killed by poachers in Kenya too:

satao-bull-drinking.jpg

http://www.theguardian.com/environm...13/kenyas-biggest-elephant-killed-by-poachers

ajim

Yeah, fuck poachers, but really fuck the people fueling the demand for such crimes. They're the real scum here.

jchap

What is really sad is that we can create synthetic ivory that is pretty close to biological ivory but its not slowing this shit down.

all for what, just so some rich asshole can get ivory? do people in 2014 still care about fucking ivory, it's ivory, nothing impressive. what a waste of innocent life.

Abounder

Banned
Well.....it's time to make a kickstarter.

Let's design drones that can help out wildlife refugees by netting poachers and shooting down helicopters. It's time these black markets got a taste of their own medicine

Poona

How big was he?

Not really sure. He was known as Satao, and have tried to do a search using his name and find a few things more but they only say he was the worlds biggest elephant, without saying how big he actually was. Closest thing to measurements is saying the following on his tusks:

http://www.outsideonline.com/news-from-the-field/Worlds-Largest-Elephant-Poached-in-Kenya.html

Kenya has deployed significant personnel and resources to protect what are known as the last "great tuskers," large bull elephants carrying genes that make their ivory outgrowths reach weights of more than 100 pounds per side.

Then the following page (which shows a photo of him with his face and tusks removed) says he was at least 45 years old.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....268100646626483.41921.260365420733339&type=1

Satao would have been at least 45 years old. During his lifetime he would have weathered many droughts and seen many other poached elephants, and he would have sired offspring that, given a safe environment to grow up in, may become tomorrow’s generation of great Tsavo tuskers.

Reading further into his story it seems like quite a sad one. As he seem to be aware that his tusks which should otherwise naturally help him, put him at a greater risk than others::

http://markdeeble.wordpress.com/2014/03/23/last-of-the-great-tuskers/

Other elephants stood sleeping, clustered in the shade of acacias, apparently unaware of the bull’s approach. He didn’t walk straight to water. It took him almost an hour to cover the final kilometer as he slowly zig-zagged from one bush to another. The glint I’d seen, came whenever he turned his head and appeared to bury it in a bush. Each time he did, he’d wait a few minutes, partially hidden, then continue zig-zagging upwind, scenting the air, to check there wasn’t a poacher hidden at the waterhole.

I was mystified at the bull’s poor attempt to hide – until it dawned on me that he wasn’t trying to hide his body, he was hiding his tusks. At once, I was incredibly impressed, and incredibly sad – impressed that he should have the understanding that his tusks could put him in danger, but so sad at what that meant.

Toxi

Banned
but ... cancer cure!

:(

Thank you cultural dipshits and your voodoo cures for the sniffles.
Ivory is a status symbol. The demand for it comes from people trying to show off their wealth.

People are committing crimes to contribute to this anyway.
That's why laws need to be targeted against buyers. The poachers try to hunt animals even with a shoot-on-site policy. You're better off threatening the rich fucks who buy this shit in the first pace so that they don't buy it and there is no market.

Ivory is a status symbol. The demand for it comes from people trying to show off their wealth.

That's why laws need to be targeted against buyers. The poachers try to hunt animals even with a shoot-on-site policy. You're better off threatening the rich fucks who buy this shit in the first pace so that they don't buy it and there is no market.

Aren't they mostly in China? China is going to wipe out the native African animals I think. Stupid ancient Chinese medicine crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom