• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poi - 3D platformer coming to PC/Wii U, Kickstarter live, PS4 stretch goal

Edit: Kickstarter is live
In Poi, you'll free-roam through big open world levels and smaller challenge levels in a search for explorer medallions. Getting those medallions won't be easy though as you'll need to pull off classic 3D platforming feats in order to grab them. Run, jump, flip, bounce, balance, climb, slide, swim and more to collect them all for every level. As you collect more explorer medallions, you'll meet new characters and discover more worlds for you to explore!
New trailer
---
http://www.poi-game.com/
Pre-alpha teaser

mAVsixO.jpg
ZZe7pbw.jpg

Poi is an indie 3D adventure platformer inspired by classics like Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, and Super Mario Sunshine. It follows the journey of a rambunctious kid on an adventure to become a master explorer. Players will run, jump, flip, and collect treasure across many exciting locales to gain explorer medallions. From larger exploration based levels to small intense platforming challenges--we think Poi has a little bit of everything that gamers love about 3D platformers.

Ltv5ey0.jpg

2qhnaeR.jpg

WUaJB5U.jpg

a2jaFDI.jpg

shiyrley

Banned
It looks rough (obviously, it's a pre-alpha, there's not even a kickstarter yet) but it also looks extremely fun to play and cute. I can't wait to see how this turns out.
EDIT:
tbh, the more I watch the trailer the less rough it looks and the more cute it looks.
EDIT2:
I need this.

Lijik

I wonder how this game looks in motion now, that trailer is a few months old at this point
The recent screenshots on twitter have been looking nice

Seems fun! Though there's something about the jumping is done that seems a little off-putting to me.

Other than that, I hope it pans out.

Cmagus

I really like the character design and with the right environment visuals this could look great. That being said the gameplay doesn't look that good and it really feels like the art style doesn't match the "get the collectibles" type gameplay but would work better as more of an adventure type game. I'll keep an eye on this though I'm kind of interested.

Nothing, the dev just said they were aiming to get on Wii U but never did. It's in development for PC only.

More specifically, the Unreal engine they are using to make it costs like half a million per console SKU. They certainly did't have that budget.

There was wind that they might have gotten a publisher or some assistance, but that word never came outside of small little hints. I suspect a publisher was talking to them but backed out, likely as the Wii U sold so poorly in 2013.

Funny, seeing how Deep Silver is bringing Mighty No 9 and Bloodstained to Wii U, I bet they could get Hat in Time to multiple platforms, but I think that game's ship sailed.

Anyways, Poi looks real good. Hopefully people will take note at its KS campaign and help the dev out. I welcome 3D platformers!

Kanyon

That first screenshot, so gorgeous... A good art style always sucks me in, and then I end up staying for the gameplay and story. This and Rime look like they could get their hooks into me big time.

Mory Dunz

Hm, looks decent.

The up and down of the jumping seemsa bit heavy.
Also, the main character design seems world. Not that it's bad but it doesn't seem to fit the world imo.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
More specifically, the Unreal engine they are using to make it costs like half a million per console SKU. They certainly did't have that budget.

There was wind that they might have gotten a publisher or some assistance, but that word never came outside of small little hints. I suspect a publisher was talking to them but backed out, likely as the Wii U sold so poorly in 2013.

Funny, seeing how Deep Silver is bringing Mighty No 9 and Bloodstained to Wii U, I bet they could get Hat in Time to multiple platforms, but I think that game's ship sailed.

Anyways, Poi looks real good. Hopefully people will take note at its KS campaign and help the dev out. I welcome 3D platformers!

I really think that the scope of their project became way too big and they just didn't have the ability to get it out on Wii U.

Mighty

Hi NeoGAF! Paul here, developer at PolyKid working on Poi.

I'm a long time lurker (since '06) and infrequent poster, but I wanted to write a quick update thanking everyone for the feedback. We've done a TON of work since that pre-alpha teaser was posted six months ago.

We'll be releasing a new trailer next month, but I wanted to post a couple gfys to show you guys some more recent footage of the game. And yes, we've made significant improvements to the jump physics and player movement!

I'll do my best to answer any questions, but I'm also a full-time developer on the game so I'll be spending most of my time getting it ready for Kickstarter.

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook to be the first to know about new info. Happy pre-E3 week all! =D

I'm a long time lurker (since '06) and infrequent poster, but I wanted to write a quick update thanking everyone for the feedback. We've done a TON of work since that pre-alpha teaser was posted six months ago.

We'll be releasing a new trailer next month, but I wanted to post a couple gfys to show you guys some more recent footage of the game. And yes, we've made significant improvements to the jump physics and player movement!

I'll do my best to answer any questions, but I'm also a full-time developer on the game so I'll be spending most of my time getting it ready for Kickstarter.

Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook to be the first to know about new info. Happy pre-E3 week all! =D
First, welcome to the thread! Always cool when a dev drops by (and is a GAFfer!)

Second, wow this looks wonderful

MadSexual

This looks beautiful. The tone of the colors is fantastic particularly. I'm excited about all these new platformers, but they're all so vibrant. This has a much better palette.

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. At first it looked worrying that the gameplay would be 100% the geometric shape platforming from Super Mario games and Mirror's Edge time trials which isn't bad but not great for an entire game, but the extra variety and world building displayed toward the end show a ton of promise.

deleted

Looks quite nice so far, I like that the level seems to be just popping up in the overworld.

Is the movement already finalized? The character looks like he is a bit too heavy and falls quite fast, almost like Fox in SSBM which could be quite frustrating in a 3D platformer.

Mighty

I'm loving what I'm seeing. Are there going to be enemies?

There will be other characters in the game for sure (npcs like the one below, creatures, etc) but we're still ironing out the details on "enemies" in the traditional sense. We want to make sure every character we put into the game adds value in a meaningful way (our kickstarter will have a lot more details on this).

Looks quite nice so far, I like that the level seems to be just popping up in the overworld.

Is the movement already finalized? The character looks like he is a bit too heavy and falls quite fast, almost like Fox in SSBM which could be quite frustrating in a 3D platformer.

The movement in that YouTube video is SUPER old! The new player movement is much more graceful. The jumping is smoothed out, gravity has been adjusted, the player's weight was reduced, animations were tweaked and air control feels a lot better.

To put it in SSBM terms, more like Marth and less like Fox. =P

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Just saw this and im glad I did. It looks great. Reminds me of one of the games that would have came to the PS1 in terms of simple great fun that didnt have all that extra crap loaded on to it to fill a check box but actually took away from the game. Love it.

Lijik

Kickstarter is happening tomorrow, August 4th

Theres going to be a KS launch party in San Francisco with a playable demo if anyone here is in the bay area.
CLgq5dPUsAIv4Ww.jpg

Kind of bummed out because I was planning to be over there right now to visit some friends and could have checked it out, but had to move the trip back a month

Tizoc

Theres going to be a KS launch party in San Francisco with a playable demo if anyone here is in the bay area.
CLgq5dPUsAIv4Ww.jpg

Kind of bummed out because I was planning to be over there right now to visit some friends and could have checked it out, but had to move the trip back a month

Ay yo I want me some of dat Poi swag, son.

The movement in that YouTube video is SUPER old! The new player movement is much more graceful. The jumping is smoothed out, gravity has been adjusted, the player's weight was reduced, animations were tweaked and air control feels a lot better.

To put it in SSBM terms, more like Marth and less like Fox. =P
I can't wait to see how the physics are shaping up.

I'm also getting a strong Mario Galaxy vibe from the art style here:
The gif posted above is especially amazing, looks very inspired.

Definitely following this.

Mighty

Hey All, Paul here again from PolyKid. Our Kickstarter just went LIVE an hour ago!

We've been working like crazy to put together a new trailer, the Kickstarter page and a playable demo for those who are able to attend our local launch party in San Francisco tomorrow night. We appreciate all the feedback from everyone so far and we'll need YOUR support to get Poi across the finish line, so please Back Us Here on Kickstarter if you can. Thanks all, back to work for me!

Hey All, Paul here again from PolyKid. Our Kickstarter just went LIVE an hour ago!

We've been working like crazy to put together a new trailer, the Kickstarter page and a playable demo for those who are able to attend our local launch party in San Francisco tomorrow night. We appreciate all the feedback from everyone so far and we'll need YOUR support to get Poi across the finish line, so please Back Us Here on Kickstarter if you can. Thanks all, back to work for me!

Ohhhh, awesome. I was wondering about your progress here lately but couldn't remember the title. I'll bookmark this thread and share your kickstarter!

Looks great so far guys :)

Top Bottom