• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poi - 3D platformer coming to PC/Wii U, Kickstarter live, PS4 stretch goal

Hey All, Paul here again from PolyKid. Our Kickstarter just went LIVE an hour ago!

We've been working like crazy to put together a new trailer, the Kickstarter page and a playable demo for those who are able to attend our local launch party in San Francisco tomorrow night. We appreciate all the feedback from everyone so far and we'll need YOUR support to get Poi across the finish line, so please Back Us Here on Kickstarter if you can. Thanks all, back to work for me!

OK guys I believe in you. Don''t disappoint. First Kick-Starter also. You are from DigiPen so I know you are good.

I don't know if I am wondering about nothing, but your goal seems low for a console Indie. Are you sure you will be able to release to the eShop with $80K? This is for 2 guys to make it until July right?

(I see that this has also been green-lit)

Mighty

Fix the typo and I'll back it. ;)

oerrMuW.png

LOL nice find! How embarrassing. :S After staring at that page for weeks now everything tends to blur together. Should be fixed now!

TheJoRu

14th backer here! Love the visual design, and the trailer just oozed adventure and fun. The game already looks great, so am excited to see how it looks a year from now.

Neat, and on time for an early bird discount for once!

Really hope this not only succeeds, but blazes through to the local co-op and PS4 stretch goals now.

Knuf

Tried to back the early bird tier, but KS refused my cc since it's expiring this very month. Oh well.
Let's see where this project is going to be when KS reminds me in less than a month.
Good luck guys!

Looks awesome. My interest will be even more piqued if it gets close to that PS4 stretch goal (I don't have a gaming PC or WiiU).

Good luck regardless.

Anony

quick glance, there's no info about anything with special wiiu tablet functionality
guessing there is none then

I subbed to this thread because the game looks great, but now that the Kickstarter actually started someone should start a new thread about that.

I see a lot of Unity AssetStore assets here, I hope those are just placeholders for the alpha build.
I dont see any problem with that... At all, the game is in alpha stage and already looks beautiful . Damn i wanna play this game right now...

Yarbskoo

That looks like a lot of fun. I see some parts that look like Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, and The Wind Waker. I hope it does well, we need more 3D platformers.

maxcriden

Looks super fun.

Getting some Skyward Sword vibes + Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon vibes + SM64: Slip Slidin' Away vibes, from those last three .gifs, respectively, under the "How to Explore" section. :D

Oneself

Someone should add "175k for PS4 vers." or something in the title.

We need more platformers on current gen.

Flink

Wow - this looks wonderful! It seems full of heart and the devs speaking about the game are adorable :)

This game looks adorable. When I get paid Friday I plan to back it. Love the art style and the characters, and the game looks like one where you can just run around having fun.

Looks pretty good, plus 3D platformers ARE one of my very favorite genres...

However, from seeing that latest trailer, there's something a bit "off" for my tastes... This may sound dumb but i really have no other word for it, the world seems a bit empty or "soulless" to me from the looks of things...

Then again, this may not actually be such a bad thing after all if it is indeed the case, since i recently completed a quirky little 3D platformer named Jett Rocket, and while at first i thought this same effect would bother me, it actually turned out to be quite charming BECAUSE of how isolated i felt and how "empty" the world was besides the platforming.

I will follow this one for sure :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any chance of pre-release access being brought forward to September (i.e. soon after the campaign ends)?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Lovely. I'll have to back this.

krizzx

I find it strange that is chose the PC and Wii U as opposed to PS4 and XBone where it would not have competition from what I'm guessing is its source material.

Well, good luck to them.

Looks good, I donated. Hopefully the first 50 people donate another $10 or more each as a show of confidence. Hopefully they can raise $80k, game looks solid.

udivision

I find it strange that is chose the PC and Wii U as opposed to PS4 and XBone where it would not have competition from what I'm guessing is its source material.

Well, good luck to them.

There's competition, but there'sthe "these are the people who are most likely to buy your game since they bought similar ones" factor.

To be honest, it's not like any console is drowning in 3D Platformers, not even Nintendo's.

So refreshing to see a dev show that it runs on Wii U from the start, even if it needs polishing. Usually mentioning Wii U is just to get people to back them and then say "oh, sorry, we can't do Wii U anymore because reasons".

The game looks charming and fun. It's also nice to see that it's a project they've already worked on for some time. Makes backing it much easier than to just see 2 pieces of concept art and a WIP 3D model.

Durante

I'd love for this to reach the local coop stretch goal, but currently it looks unlikely to be funded at all.

weekev

Banned
There's competition, but there'sthe "these are the people who are most likely to buy your game since they bought similar ones" factor.

To be honest, it's not like any console is drowning in 3D Platformers, not even Nintendo's.
This and is porting Unity from PC to WiiU not meant to be super simple.

Stencil

It piqued my attention with the main character design but that trailer wasn't very convincing.

Wind Waker + some Mario mechanics = this game? Not enough for me, frankly.

It's missing something new...

Damn, thought a game this far ahead already, with perfectly clear intentions and reasonable stretch goals, would be most of the way to funded by now.

I wonder if this is some shitty knock on from the Red Ash debacle, or just the problem of third party titles not selling on Nintendo platforms even spreading to Kickstarter now?

Seriously though, this should be doing better. Bloody annoying.

DonMigs85

Looks pretty bad, I'd say Gex Enter the Gecko in HD would look nicer
I hope the environments don't look that stark and blocky in later builds

@MUWANdo

Banned
Damn, thought a game this far ahead already, with perfectly clear intentions and reasonable stretch goals, would be most of the way to funded by now.

I wonder if this is some shitty knock on from the Red Ash debacle, or just the problem of third party titles not selling on Nintendo platforms even spreading to Kickstarter now?

Seriously though, this should be doing better. Bloody annoying.

It has more to do with them lauching their KS with no warning and no fanfare, pretty much.

Kawika

Not what I expected when I entered this thread.

'Shoots Braddah, ain't no ono poi grinds here cuz'

I actually dig the vast environments that appear to function more as just landscapes to traverse. Of course, it could just be because it's early and they plan on adding more elements(animals, shrubbery etc.), which would be fine, but I dig it as is.

Corpekata

Banned

Well, good luck to them.

Why wouldn't they choose PC? PC is the platform like 95 percent of KS games come out on because there is no barrier to entry.

Well, good luck to them.
Because more people are likely to buy a game like this on a Nintendo console and it's probably the least expensive home console to develop for.

Top Bottom