• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poi - 3D platformer coming to PC/Wii U, Kickstarter live, PS4 stretch goal

rjc571

Banned
Those stretch goals seem very unrealistic to me.

The game being funded at all seems unrealistic to me, if the first two days are any indication :(

It looks so good, too. Where are all the people who were clamoring for more 3D platformers??

Portalbox

Hmm... they need to promote the KS a lot more. I've backed it already but it's going to need a strong push to meet its goal.

The game being funded at all seems unrealistic to me, if the first two days are any indication :(

It looks so good, too. Where are all the people who were clamoring for more 3D platformers??

As one who was clamoring for more 3D platformers, this doesn't capture me all that much, although i'm definitely planning on getting it eventually after it releases. I would back it anyway if I wasn't having money/debit card issues. I'm super hyped for Yooka Laylee and I didn't even get a chance to back that in the time frame because of similar issues :(

Labadal

No, I mean if the game gets funded and then stretch goals get reached, no way is that enough money to actually incorporate them into the game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Where the fuck is A Hat in Time? That game looked really good

I slacker-backed for beta access, but although the app sees hidden changes on SteamDB quite regularly (most recently three days ago), the game itself hasn't been updated since late March. Clearly development is still progressing, but it'd be nice if updates were more frequent.

I'll never understand why no PS4 version was ever planed. Seems it would be much easier to port from PC to PS4 then from PC to WiiU.

Platy

I'll never understand why no PS4 version was ever planed. Seems it would be much easier to port from PC to PS4 then from PC to WiiU.

"Poi is an indie 3D adventure platformer inspired by classics like Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, and Super Mario Sunshine."

Also, it is probably Unity. It is as easy to port to wiiu as it is to ps4

Mighty

Hi GAF!

Paul here again, developer at PolyKid working on Poi. I wanted to personally thank each and every one of you who has supported us thus far, and address some of the other feedback directly.

Looks a bit amateurish
I hope the environments don't look that stark and blocky in later builds

We know the game looks rough around some edges, but one of the main reasons we're on kickstarter is so we can afford to pay a great 3d animator to work with us and provide custom animations, starting with walk, run & jump. We'd also like to find a 3d environment artist to replace a LOT of the programmer art in the videos.

Please keep in mind that everything is very much a work-in-progress. I'd also like to point out that everything shown is actually running and functioning 100% in-game. Unlike some other projects on kickstarter that might only have impressive concept art, we've actually built everything.

It's missing something new...

We know the game doesn't have an obviously unique hook right now, but we've been hesitant to shoehorn in a gimmicky mechanic just for the sake of being different. We've certainly tried new things, like our sky hub world with the airship & soaring ability that we'd like to take farther, but I've often found that the best mechanics tend to be discovered organically during development.

In other words, I think the "something new" you're referring to could be right around the corner. We've built a robust, Mario-inspired 3d platforming foundation, now we just need a little more time to keep at it.

Also, there hasn't been a 3d platformer game structured like Mario 64/Sunshine where players are free to explore larger, non-linear-type levels since 2002! The new Mario games (Galaxy 1/2 & Super Mario 3D World, while absolutely fantastic, are a return to the more classic, bite-sized linear style levels.

You're absolutely right in that porting from PC to PS4 is easier than PC to Wii U because the Wii U is much less powerful than the PS4. However, because we are already running on Wii U and we've built a framework on top of Unity that allows us to deploy to consoles easily, it's going to be much easier for us to port to PS4. We've already built the infrastructure that allows us to handle platform specific things like different input devices, saving/loading, audio, etc.

For example, when we received our Wii U dev kits from Nintendo, we had the game up and running by the end of the week. Most of the time has been spent making sure we're doing things efficiently.

Those stretch goals seem very unrealistic to me.

As an example, we just released a tech demo of one of our stretch goals, local co-op, showing that we're committed to making sure each one is feasible.

You're telling me! (I guess all 73,206 of them backed Youka-Laylee, haha). The timing was a little unfortunate for us, as we had no idea the Rareware guys were working on something so big! We started Poi well over a year ago now.

Hmm... they need to promote the KS a lot more. I've backed it already but it's going to need a strong push to meet its goal.

We've been reaching out to the press as much as we can (I'm looking at you Kotaku, Polygon, Eurogamer & IGN!) but we did just get an article by the good folks over at Destructoid. (thanks Jed Whitaker!)

Agreed. Not sure what else I can do to spread the word.

We appreciate everything you've done so far! The last 72h of the campaign will be crucial for us -- right now we're in the normal, mid-campaign slump.

Whew! That was a lot of typing. I hope it helps that we're being as transparent as possible and we hope you keep the feedback coming!

Oh, and lastly I was really hoping my NeoGAF shirt would've given us more cred, LOL!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
The big problem for this kickstarter is to put the wiiu version before the ps4 version.The initial goal needs to be the pc and ps4 version.

ghibli99

Great to see the dev in here answering all those questions. I backed the $20 tier, and hope that this game gets made. It seems like the kind of game GAF wants any time 3D Mario games come up in conversation, but it doesn't look like it's picking up the traction it needs. Really appreciate the effort, and I get more excited about it the more I watch the trailer, which admittedly starts off slow, but by the end, I know it's a game I want to play now! :)

Majmun

It would have made even less money if they had done that. PS4 gamers aren't into colorful 3D platformers.

I'm a Ps4 gamer who's into colorful 3D platformers.

There are a lot of colorful platformers that did well on PS platforms...

KevinCow

Banned
The game looks fantastic, bit sad that its looking unlikely to get financed. What are your plans if kickstarter fails?

They answered this in the most recent Kickstarter update:

The honest answer is that we won't be able to finish Poi as we originally intended. We would not be able to pay for custom art and animations to make the game look better, and we would not be able to pay for the custom soundtrack that Poi deserves. We would also have to return our Wii U development hardware.

:(

Gah, I really think this looks SO good. I mean, I think it looks really good and that's before they even get funding to spruce things up.

Still hopeful it gains a lot of attention in this last week or so and somehow makes it to the goal.

Just got an e-mail about the addition of a "Friend pack"(you get two copies of the game for $30 instead of $40) as well as the PS4 stretch goal being lowered to $100,000.

Hitting the main goal is looking unlikely unfortunately, but not impossible!

Good luck guys!

Tizoc

Ooof Good luck getting $60K in 3 days :/

Couldn't thy approach MS or Sony to publish the game for them?

Mighty

NegativeFlatIggypops.gif

(60 FPS HD version of gif)

New 45s YouTube Trailer

Mighty

Same. I'm going to back it today.

Since it's Greenlit, what happens if it's not fully funded, Mighty?
Will you still be working on it?

Hi LucidMomentum, We're still in the process of finalizing those details, but it's a possibility. We'll be sure to post a final update within a week or so.

Also incase anyone missed it, we'll be doing a reddit AMA at 1 PM PST and a Twitch stream at 6 PM PST (I'll try to post the links to this thread here when they go live too).

Dr. Buni

It looks really good, though I am not a huge fan of the main character's voice. I hope it gets funded.

Edit: I guess it's not getting funded, huh >_>

Hey All, we are now live on Steam Early Access =)

And here's our latest trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0gpFdxcpcY

Thank you for the heads up. I found this on Steam before referring back to this thread, which is a great thing, because it means that your game has already gotten some well deserved attention on th Steam storefront and outside of NeoGaf. It is definitely worth the $10 plus change I paid for it.

I encourage anybody out there who loves 3D platformers in the vein of Mario 64 to give this one a shot.

So far I have had a few fun hours with this game. I am loving the whole explorer/adventure vibe. It has a good mix of Mario 64 game play with some Wind Waker stylings thrown in for good measure.

Hanging/holding onto ledges is a subtle refinement on the Mario 64 formula which I find fits the whole explorer/adventure thing quite well. It has saved me from falling in some of the platform stages and also saved me from death in the slide challenge. Of course it ruined my time in that challenge, but never the less, I avoided losing a life because of this move.

Also of note, is how charming and inviting every thing looks. Now if you can get some animations in the characters to match this charm, it will be an even better game for it. I also dig the adventurous music playing in the background, but I only wish the tracks were longer and more varied, because after a while they sounded a bit repetitive.
Another great touch is buying items to use in the levels. So far I skipped buying the telescope to buy the shovel which I used to dig up a couple of fossils.

I will leave a positive review on Steam to help attract more attention to this game. I hope Early Access provides you with a steady base of income to be able to finish this project to completion, as I am looking forward to your additions and refinements in the coming months.

I wish you and your team great success and hope Early Access works out for you in getting this game out to the masses.

I backed the kickstarter for this, shame it didn't quite happen. Super happy now though as Early Access has given me a chance to play it and it's definitely what I was hoping for.

It still needs more before you could call it fully fleshed out but what's there is really fun. Well done guys. Loving the Mario 64 x Skies of Arcadia vibe too!

Tizoc

Gonna get the EA soon, even if the end product becomes a short game, if it has replayability and concludes itself well, I'd say you've done a good job.

Anyone can tell me about the controls? Viewing the trailer, it doesn't seem like it's momentum based like M64 considering the inspiration but input directed, the flow seems very rigid in comparison and what makes Mario a lot more controllable is that he acts like a "ball" in a world rather than a pre-animated avatar. Of course, I'd like to be proven wrong about this because controls is a make or break for platforming especially one that takes the model from Super Mario 64/Sunshine.

Lijik

Anyone can tell me about the controls? Viewing the trailer, it doesn't seem like it's momentum based like M64 considering the inspiration but input directed, the flow seems very rigid in comparison and what makes Mario a lot more controllable is that he acts like a "ball" in a world rather than a pre-animated avatar. Of course, I'd like to be proven wrong about this because controls is a make or break for platforming especially one that takes the model from Super Mario 64/Sunshine.

Its a bit of a middle ground between Mario 64 and Mario 3D World. The base movement itself is a bit more rigid, you have a basic run speed and then can hold down a run button to move faster. However, chaining jumps together feels really smooth (although I think the consecutive double/triple jumps could use more audio oomph). I personally dont mind this overall setup, but you might.

Theres a roll move when you hold down the run button that you can transition into a long jump, but to me the move feels a little iffy (like its lacking weight behind it). I also kind of wish the game had a mid-air dive move like in Mario. It feels like glaring omission when so much of the basic Mario 64 moveset (triple jump, backflip, wallkick,long jump) is in the game.

Theres a roll move when you hold down the run button that you can transition into a long jump, but to me the move feels a little iffy (like its lacking weight behind it). I also kind of wish the game had a mid-air dive move like in Mario. It feels like glaring omission when so much of the basic Mario 64 moveset (triple jump, backflip, wallkick,long jump) is in the game.

I never attempted the long jump, but it's nice to know it's in there, but that sounds like a really awkward way to trigger it. Overall, I say this feels very good control wise. The only thing that bothers me sometimes is fiddling with the camera so I can line up my jumps or so I can slowly walk across narrow platforms, but this is no different than what I had to do in 64 or Sunshine so I won't fault it for that.

Greddleok

Looks like Wind Waker in both art style and the environments with some Mario 64 style platforming. Super cool! It's on my radar now, thanks OP.

I can't comment on the controls as I didn't play the game yet, but it feels like the platforming looks a bit stiff because of the way the characters are animated, like their movement aren't snappy enough for the type of platforming the kids are doing in-game. Maybe that's just me.

Still very happy to see we really are living a 3d platformer renaissance these days. I'll give this one a try soon.

Top Bottom