• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

Fester Mudd is one of the best looking games to come out of AGS.

It's very old school in style but check this AGS beaut out.

The Journey of Lesir

The Journey of Iesir takes place in a land reminiscent of the medieval ages, yet has a story that integrates ideas as old as the legendary Vikings, and as modern as the hippie movement in the 1970’s.

The player takes the role of Michael, a wandering playwright among other things, and he sees Iesir and its troubles through the fresh eyes of a stranger, yet he becomes pivotal to the events that unfold in Iesir. Seeking both adventure and inspiration for his new screenplay, under the guidance of his mysterious Mentor, Mikael seeks out a Viking called Daniel Trondhjemsfjord, who needs help with a task that seems adventurous. What seems like a simple quest of stealing a old Viking painting soon turns out to be more then Mikael could have ever imagined...

Who is his mysterious Mentor, who has set Mikael on a path that leads him to places he never imagined? How do the recent viking attacks along the coastline fit into Daniel's past, and Iesir's future? Why is there a demon-possessed, moose-headed alchemist in town? The game delivers a rich and detailed plot dealing with some hefty issues along with a a large dollop of humour. The Journey of Iesir is a tale of discovery and change on many levels.

The Journey of Iesir plays like a typical point and click adventure computer game, and hopes to immerse the player in this unique world through its story, character and game play elements. With its combination of drama and humor, the Journey of Iesir will always provide something for the player to look forward to.

screenshot02.png

Look at that! That's AGS?
Been in development since 2010, believe they are finishing up on a demo to show to publishers. REALLY hope someone picks it up.

Lotto

Nice thread. I'm a bit slow at playing these games but I do enjoy them a whole lot when I do get to them. Most of these games look fantastic.

Fjordson

Fester Mudd looks really great. When exactly is it supposed to come out? Soon I'm guessing?

edit: and I forgot about Journey Down episode 2! I absolutely loved the first one.

Tizoc

Just a head's up!
(Reposting something I wrote in the Amazon thread, with some more links.) Adventure fans might be interested to know that a whole bunch of horror/mystery point-and-clicks are on sale for peanuts right now on Amazon DD. Doesn't seem to be an advertised promotion and Tony doesn't mention them on CAG so I don't know when it will end. As far as I can tell, none of these are Steam-redeemable, but hey, you can put up with a separate downloader for these prices.

Black Mirror II $1.99
Black Mirror III $1.99
Gray Matter $4.99
Alter Ego $1.99
Mystery Adventure Bundle (the above 4 games) $9.99
The Whispered World $1.99
Dark Fall: The Journal $1.99

Dark Fall: Lights Out $1.99
Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder $2.50
Mata Hari $1.99
Cursed Mountain $4.99
Sinking Island $1.99
Nibiru: Age of Secrets $1.99
Aura $1.99
Aura 2: The Sacred Rings $1.99
The Whispered World $1.99
Sentinel: Descendants in Time $1.99
Postmortem $1.99
Syberia II $1.99

Plus a ton more $1.99 games if you look at the related links for any of these, although it looks like most of them are hidden-object. I tried to pick out most of the "real" adventures I saw.

Tempted to get that bundle @ $10, but would like impressions for the other games. I've read that Aura 1 and 2, and Sentinel are like Myst.

Roubjon

I picked up the Syberia and Still Life bundles off Steam today and ended up playing Syberia for a pretty decent chunk of time. I'm pretty sure I'm more than half way done with it and I'm really loving it. I don't really know why really. I guess I like the main character and the game's atmosphere is interesting and enjoyable. The environments look really nice too. The story itself is pretty boring when you examine it closely, but there are enough quirky things going on within it to keep me engaged. I booted up Still Life for a little bit to check it out and it seems pretty cool too, so I'm looking forward to playing those two as well.

Either way, any of you guys have some more suggestions for games to pick up if I'm liking Syberia? I've already purchased the Longest Journey a while ago, but haven't really gotten too deep into it, but that will probably be the next game I continue after beating Syberia because I've only heard really great things about it and I really like what I've played of it so far. Do you think it's worth it to get Dreamfall? I've played point n' clicks my whole life, but I grew up on Lucas Arts adventures and for some reason never explored outside of Lucas Arts and Sierra games, so I'm sure there are plenty out there that I'm oblivious of.

statham

I picked up the Syberia and Still Life bundles off Steam today and ended up playing Syberia for a pretty decent chunk of time. I'm pretty sure I'm more than half way done with it and I'm really loving it. I don't really know why really. I guess I like the main character and the game's atmosphere is interesting and enjoyable. The environments look really nice too. The story itself is pretty boring when you examine it closely, but there are enough quirky things going on within it to keep me engaged. I booted up Still Life for a little bit to check it out and it seems pretty cool too, so I'm looking forward to playing those two as well.

Either way, any of you guys have some more suggestions for games to pick up if I'm liking Syberia? I've already purchased the Longest Journey a while ago, but haven't really gotten too deep into it, but that will probably be the next game I continue after beating Syberia because I've only heard really great things about it and I really like what I've played of it so far. Do you think it's worth it to get Dreamfall? I've played point n' clicks my whole life, but I grew up on Lucas Arts adventures and for some reason never explored outside of Lucas Arts and Sierra games, so I'm sure there are plenty out there that I'm oblivious of.
get dream fall, both games are great. first is better but your want to play the second afterwards and hopefully the third gets released. Still life is also a very good game.

Wretcher looks awesome.

Has there been any update on Kentucky Route Zero? I know they said to expect it November/December, but I don't see anything about it coming out or being delayed. That one looks cool.

Also how did Grey Matter turn out. I remember a lot of people being interested in that, but I never followed up.

SparkTR

Looking forward to Dreamfall Chapters, but it sounds like it's going to take more from Dreamfall rather than TLG. TLG was one of my favourite games, the only one that I felt sad about finishing, Dreamfall was a mess. I'd hate to get a repeat.

Any word of what King Art are working on, possibly another adventure?

Roubjon

Culpa Innata is $2.50 on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035WTZ6U/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Deal will end on 1st January 3 AM EST.

Do we have any idea of the game registers on Steam or not because I have a shitload of Amazon credit and nothing in my steam wallet.

EDIT: And I just bought Dreamfall. I don't know what it is, but for some odd reason I just want to gorge myself on adventure games. Probably has to do with the Walking Dead reminding me how awesome they are. I also started Sanitarium and man that game is awesome. It's so goddamn disturbing and interesting.

Fjordson

Resonacne is my first click and point game in ages. I really love it a lot. Any game similar to it?
Wadjet Eye's other recent games are somewhat similar and well worth it in my opinion.

Namely Gemini Rue (awesome cyberpunk) and Primordia (interesting take on post-apocalyptic sci-fi starring robots).

edit: just noticed Gemini Rue is on sale for $4.99 on Steam and GOG. Definitely a no brainer at that price I think.

Wadjet Eye's other recent games are somewhat similar and well worth it in my opinion.

Namely Gemini Rue (awesome cyberpunk) and Primordia (interesting take on post-apocalyptic sci-fi starring robots).

edit: just noticed Gemini Rue is on sale for $4.99 on Steam and GOG. Definitely a no brainer at that price I think.

Thanks! Those titles are on my Wishlist now. Going to get them once I get paid later on the day.

Mington

What about the cave coming out in jan. it's a proper adventure game with combining items and stuff. And the PC version will have an optional point and click control scheme

Looking forward to Dreamfall Chapters, but it sounds like it's going to take more from Dreamfall rather than TLG. TLG was one of my favourite games, the only one that I felt sad about finishing, Dreamfall was a mess. I'd hate to get a repeat.

This is one of those cases where I'll happily take more of the TLJ/Dreamfall universe than none at all. I felt the same about Telltale's Monkey Island series... it wasn't perfect and it wasn't Monkey Island 5 but given that the choice was either this or no Monkey Island at all, I'd pick the former any day.

GhaleonQ

I'm 1 of the staunch defenders of the series, and it's mostly because the tone is unique. Other drama-oriented series are either 1st person, horror, or more fantasy-oriented like the The Longest Journey series.

I would actually recommend the other White Birds games (Amerzone and Paradise, though they are worse) and, actually, Cing's big 4 games about memory for the DS and Wii.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just posting here to tag it for later.

Fester Mudd looks really great. When exactly is it supposed to come out? Soon I'm guessing?

Fester Mudd should be out January. I will tidy thread up in new year and be adding rough release dates or if I can get confirmed dates I will update.

Will also try and do some previews of the titles too and highlight specific ones coming sooner.

Cool thread!
I got Resonance in the Steam sale. The character switching and memory mechanics are cool, but sometimes confusing in knowing what options I have. I'm also not a fan of some of the voice acting. Some of it feels like it's read out rather than acted.

I've bought "The Last Express" last year, art style is workable in todays climate. but http://howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakdown.php?gameid=5254 is saying 60 hours to beat the game? any truth to this? way too long for me. even 15 hours pushes it for me.

The actual train ride with the Orient Express from Paris to Constantinople took about 60 hours. That site probably mixed something up when writing the description.
As others have said the actual game can be beaten in 10 hours or so.

do you recommend the game, I rather play some more recent titles, but since I bought it, I feel I need to beat it.

It's not your typical adventure game. There are only a few traditonal puzzles and those are fairly light. The game is more about following the main story, taking in the atmosphere and listening to the numerous conversations the passengers (and conductors) have. Outside of a few clichés the dialogue is very well written and the star of the game, in my opinion.
The game is running in sped up real time and the people aboard the train also walk around. For example the main conductor will come through the train at a certain time to announce that dinner is served and then the passengers will go to the restaurant car. That means that you won't (and can't) witness all the things going on in the train in one playthrough.
To advance the story you also have to do certain things within a time limit. But this is telegraphed very well and especially so if something is urgent. An awesome feature of the game is the clock in the menu. With it you can rewind time. And if you mess up the game will automatically rewind to a point in time when you can can deal with the situation at hand.

Before starting the game you should make sure to know a few things about what happened in June and July of 1914, because there's little historical expostion in the game. That'll help you to better understand the motivation of a few characters.

I must have missed that Fester Mudd DID get greenlighted then hmm... Or will it be out just not on Steam?

Either way, it looks like a must have for PnC fans :))

RPGCrazied

I'm looking forward to Syberia III the most. Also, can't believe Adam Syndrome isn't out. I remember following that game a few years ago. I think it even had a name change.

This is beautiful. I want this game.

Agreed. Not only did the puzzles in Dreamfall suck, I also thought that the story wasn't even close to par to TLJ's. April was so much more interesting in TLJ than in Dreamfall. Still, I'll play whatever Tornquist puts out.

Was it really necessary for Activision to lie? Undiscovered Underground came out in 1997 to promote Zork: Grand Inquisitor.

Didn't you read the fine print on the leaflet they left in the mailbox? It says 'unreleased (in shops)' :D

Before starting the game you should make sure to know a few things about what happened in June and July of 1914, because there's little historical expostion in the game. That'll help you to better understand the motivation of a few characters.
Or you should read the newspapers you find in the restaurant every day. It's not needed to finish the game, but it's there to get you more into the setting.

mclem

A question about Cognition:

I'm thinking of picking this up, but I'm umming and ahhing about whether to dive in on a full Season Pass. For those of you who've played it, does it feel like a project that's going to make it to completion, or is it showing signs of being way too ambitious?

Also, regarding that Amazon sale: It's fine to order from outside the US, right?

Do I get a cookie for checking out all those games, their Greenlight pages, and the trailers?

I'm excited in like 10 of these, although Richard and Alice's incredibly cheap look will be hard to get past.

Excited too for Knock Knock.

iwwZ6iSBTLWuy.gif

i1VjssGr9JFlS.gif

Bought Resonance on Steam during the sale, I'm sure its worth 2.50... I liked the atmosphere of Gemini Rue, just thought that the engine was very glitchy and overall aesthetics highly irregular in quality. I understand wanting to go for a retro appeal, but old SCUMM games looked better than this.

I need to go back and finish I Have No Mouth and I must Scream, amazing atmosphere in that.

A question about Cognition:

I'm thinking of picking this up, but I'm umming and ahhing about whether to dive in on a full Season Pass. For those of you who've played it, does it feel like a project that's going to make it to completion, or is it showing signs of being way too ambitious?

I finished episode one the other day. I don't think there's any reason to doubt they'll complete it. Episode two is supposed to be out soon, which is there halfway mark.

The game shows promise. It's not perfect, but it definitely held my attention, and has me wanting to see what happens next.

Tizoc

MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
iwRqF5C7wXBAh.JPG

Yes I have Croc 2, I also have Billy Hatcher for PC.
...and yes I have 2 copies of Full Throttle. No not thinking of giving one of them away any time soon >=P

nny

Great recommendation. It's an awesome game - some of the puzzles are a little strange, but only a few! :)

Indeed! One of my favorites was when you had to pass the gorilla
and you had an infinite stock of bananas available, but what you had to do was talk with him until you made him speak...and then convincing him such a thing was impossible, so he evaporated.

MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
iwRqF5C7wXBAh.JPG

Yes I have Croc 2, I also have Billy Hatcher for PC.
...and yes I have 2 copies of Full Throttle. No not thinking of giving one of them away any time soon >=P

Tsk tsk, big boxes is where it's at:

DSC05553.jpg

DSC04870.jpg

;P

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Those big boxes are making me drool! <3

epmode

I love this thread.

Here's hoping for better localizations of awesome-looking European games! I've gotten to the point where I avoid them by default now.

inm8num2

How is Gray Matter?
Really wish there's a steam version

It's a fantastic game. The story is really great and draws you in. The game itself has gorgeous background art, but do keep in mind that it went through a complicated development and had budget issues. There are some minor technical shortcuts, and the cutscenes are done in a graphic novel style (I loved them but apparently others didn't).

The music is INCREDIBLE.

Anyway, well worth a couple bucks and your time.

Also, here's a Greenlight link to bring GM to Steam.

Roubjon

I finished Syberia and it was a real treat honestly. I haven't blown through an adventure game like that in a long time; it took me around 10 hours in two days time. I'm looking forward to playing part II considering it begins exactly where the first ended.

I also finished the fourth episode of The Walking Dead, which was pretty damn good, like all of the other parts. The ending makes me worry about how the series will conclude though...
Goddammit Lee, why did you have to get bit?

It's a fantastic game. The story is really great and draws you in. The game itself has gorgeous background art, but do keep in mind that it went through a complicated development and had budget issues. There are some minor technical shortcuts, and the cutscenes are done in a graphic novel style (I loved them but apparently others didn't).

The music is INCREDIBLE.

Anyway, well worth a couple bucks and your time.

Also, here's a Greenlight link to bring GM to Steam.
Thanks will vote

Top Bottom