• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

Does it get any better than this, or is it just not a game for me? Any tips on how to play it (what to look for, what to think about) to make it more enjoyable? How long does it take to beat the game from where I am now?

The story will pick up pace in a little while, but the gameplay won't change. I'd still recommend to finish the game. But yeah, it's a rather passive game. You wander around the train and observe the other passengers. I love the game because of how well it's doing this, but I can very well see why that's not everyone's cup of tea.

I finished Resonance a few days ago. I wasn't really feeling it until the twist near the end of the game. That really came out of nowhere and got me engaged in the story again. I liked it overall, especially that there was a number of puzzles that were not centered around your inventory.
I just started The Longest Journey, which I also got during the Steam sale. I didn't play that one for at least a decade. So far the writing is really good.

Doomshine

Just played the prologue for A New Beginning. I've heard a lot of talk about how bad the voice acting is, but I don't think it's bad enough to ruin the game so far. It's not stellar but I'd rather have this than no voice at all.

I enjoy it so far, looks great and the setting seems interesting.

epmode

Finished Gray Matter not too long ago. While it definitely has its problems, I thought it was fantastic.

Any recommendations for adventure games with a similar tone/style?

I guess it's kind of similar to the Gabriel Knight games?

Roubjon

I just completed Still Life and it was pretty good. The way the story was handled was interesting and it's fun to play some adventure games that are more grounded in reality.

I'm going to start To The Moon next, and considering I've heard only good things about it I'm looking forward to it.

The concert where you are now is awesome, it plays in real time and you basically can do everything you want.

But what does "everything" in that game mean :). I played a bit more, but all I can find to do, is sit down, stand up, cough, look at things, and wander the train back and forth at some parts hear people talking.

statham

I just completed Still Life and it was pretty good. The way the story was handled was interesting and it's fun to play some adventure games that are more grounded in reality.

I'm going to start To The Moon next, and considering I've heard only good things about it I'm looking forward to it.
I want a follow up. No man tears.

Roubjon

I want a follow up. No man tears.

I'll let you guys know what I think when It's completed for sure. I started it today and played for around 30 minutes and I'm enjoying it. It's got some good music already too, which is nice. The only downside so far would have to be the use of RPG Maker, but hey, it's used well and looks good for a game with it, so I can't complain too much.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
beating TWD made me remember how much i loved point n clicks growing up. going to replay monkey island 2 - can't remember it at all so it'll be like powying it for the first time all over again.

just copped the last express and the journey down chapter 1. gonna get ghost trick too. hooray adventure games!

Instro

Started Deponia recently, seems pretty good. Animation could use some extra frames, but I suppose that's to be expected.

BluWacky

Sorry about the bump but it seems a new game got added to Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/218700/?snr=1_7_7_204_150_1

Anyone heard about this game before?

It's a "casual" game, like the ones Ghaleon was talking about earlier. While it will feature basic puzzles like an adventure game, much of it will be padded out by "hidden object" scenes, where you get a list of items to find and have to pixel hunt over the screen to find them (and they won't be highlighted). Some games of their ilk aren't bad, but most are tedious busywork exercises. I wouldn't take a chance on it, not with the number of games you've bought recently :p

BluWacky

Looks nice, but lost a bit of interest when I read their description that they had toned down the puzzles in it. I know that it works in some cases but I´m always more impressed by developers who tries and make good puzzles instead of getting rid of them.

Will buy later.

Based on your feelings about Last Express I'm not sure how you'd react to Kentucky. As I've said in the OT for it, there are basically no puzzles at all - certainly nothing that requires thought. It's very much about the story and the dialogue.

It's well-written and smoothly executed, but if you're looking for a more "hardcore" point-and-click experience you definitely won't get it from Kentucky.

How's Edna and Harvey? Heard the first game was pretty good but I...didn't feel like getting it during the gog.com sale

I tried edna and harvey the breakout over the weekend since it is part of gamefly unlimited pc play. On my win8 64 bit system the game ran horribly. I also was unable to save because the game would crash. Mechanically the game is dated since your cursor doesn't change based on context and that could make the pixel hunting for items extremely tedious. The first game is also on ios and the interface looks different. Might be worth a try since the game looks nice and the first section of the game I was able to play was decent.

Personally I think I'll skip to part 2 since I've read some good impressions about that one and the game doesn't run like crap since it's not based on java. I believe the story is also unrelated.

The recent resurgence suddenly spiking in 12/13 is exciting as hell.

...now we just have to buy the damn things. In recent years people seem to be more and more interested in point 'n clicks again but I get the feeling there aren't actually more people buying them.

Berto

But what does "everything" in that game mean :). I played a bit more, but all I can find to do, is sit down, stand up, cough, look at things, and wander the train back and forth at some parts hear people talking.
Almost everyone will be at the concert and it's your chance to be detective. The goal is to find the
firebird egg
=)

I love Still Life, I was obsessed by it at the time, even with the shitty cliffhanger ending.
Milena's death
was heartbreaking =( The baking puzzle was so stupid...

iammeiam

Personally I think I'll skip to part 2 since I've read some good impressions about that one and the game doesn't run like crap since it's not based on java. I believe the story is also unrelated.

I've only played Part 2, and I played it over the weekend. It's a fairly decent game. It's a sequel to the first and features characters from the first game, but the protagonist is brand-new and everything makes sense without having played the first game. It does have context-sensitive cursor, so it's playable. It's a fun, if twisted, game with mostly decent puzzles and a few weird spots. The Steam achievments are pretty awful (a lot of them amount to repeating random actions over and over until the achievment pops, absolutely nothing happens in-game when you reach the milestone.)

The second game, at least, is better to go into blind because of one specific thing the game does that I wish I hadn't known about in advance. It's something introduced early on, but I still wish I'd been surprised.

Only part of the game I didn't like was the ending--there are three potential endings, but they're all really rushed. I liked the idea of what they were trying to do, but it feels like they're missing two or three pages of game-script to give some fleshing out to the Big Reveal.

Still, liked it enough that I'm downloading the iOS port of the first game to try it out. The sense of humor is pretty bent.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
...now we just have to buy the damn things. In recent years people seem to be more and more interested in point 'n clicks again but I get the feeling there aren't actually more people buying them.

i know it's a lot easier for the the smaller shops to just get it to PC/Macs but i reward these niche developers bringing their wares to my iPad or 360. gotta vote with your dollars

Roubjon

I love Still Life, I was obsessed by it at the time, even with the shitty cliffhanger ending.
Milena's death
was heartbreaking =( The baking puzzle was so stupid...

Seriously, that baking puzzle was ridiculous. I tried googling some gingerbread cookie recipes to try and match them to what the game wanted me to do and it was no help at all. At that point gameFAQs was my friend.

I'm unsure if I should even bother with Still Life 2. I read some mediocre things about it and when I started it up I was pretty much instantly disappointed. The character models are basically the same, but for some reason they decided to zoom in on them so they just look so bad at times. But if you think I should play it then I will, I just need some motivation for completing it.

ShaneB

Just finished to the recent Retronauts episode on Day of The Tentacle. Tim Schafer and Dave Grossman guest and it is really hilarious, a definite recommendation to listen if you haven't already :)

Everyone here should check out Kentucky Route Zero, Episode 1 is out. Thread here.

ibfRKgNkcc3fUu.jpg

It's something very special, and starts off 2013 in a great way for adventure games. I suggest if you're in for a quiet, mysterious road adventure with the atmosphere of a ghost story, play this.

It has quite a bit of spooky moments.

bootie101

Neo Member
I bought so many adventure games from the steam sale. I'm currently playing resonance which I'm liking the old graphics a lot. Starting to get back into adventure games since I first played the walking dead. I finished walking dead last night second ep was my favourite.

vareon

Does anyone play Deponia? I crashed everytime I want to enter the assembly hall. No error warning. Anyone has the same problem?

Everyone here should check out Kentucky Route Zero, Episode 1 is out. Thread here.

ibfRKgNkcc3fUu.jpg

It's something very special, and starts off 2013 in a great way for adventure games. I suggest if you're in for a quiet, mysterious road adventure with the atmosphere of a ghost story, play this.

Damn I'm really digging that style, will have to check out.

Tr4nce

5LGm1.png

This looks so great! I've said it before but f*ck I miss games like this! The way this game looks, it takes me back to my youth immediately. A youth of happy days point 'n clicking!

ibfRKgNkcc3fUu.jpg

watching the QL. the presentation is pretty neat.

I wanted it to come to iOS

Top Bottom