• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2013 The pixel hunt continues.

epmode

[Grey Matter's] music is INCREDIBLE.

Yep.

I liked the game, too. But maybe that's because I expected something awful after reading about its troubled development.

I think I used a walkthrough for the very end since I didn't like the last area. Most everything else was enjoyable.

Tizoc

What Jane Jensen Point n' Click games are currently available via digital distribution, and which that aren't are worth getting?

dreamfall

I finally read up on some of the Gone Home previews- needless to say I'm more than excited! Also, did Face Noir ever get translated to English?

Did anyone play Louisiana Adventure? I was thinking about getting it.

BluWacky

What Jane Jensen Point n' Click games are currently available via digital distribution, and which that aren't are worth getting?

All three of the Gabriel Knight games are available through GOG, and Gray Matter is available for $5 at Amazon (assuming you're based in the US). Those are the only ones I'd really call Jane Jensen games, but for other graphic adventures she's been involved with:

Police Quest III and King's Quest VI - both available on GOG and Steam I believe
EcoQuest 1 - not available digitally but not really worth your time, it's fun enough for an edutainment title but not a patch on the Gabriel Knight titles

Tizoc

Heh I own the first four you mentioned already haha.
Looking forward to Moebius hope it'll be good =)

Just posting to say this thread is amazing. 2013 looks like a great year for adventures. The effort put into those first few posts is much appreciated!

I finally read up on some of the Gone Home previews- needless to say I'm more than excited! Also, did Face Noir ever get translated to English?

Believe there will be some news in the next few weeks about Face Noir's English translation. I like the Noir style, always works well for adventures.

Mr. Hyde

Gonna make 2013 my adventure year.

Already playing Hollywood Monsters on iPhone

I still need to play that. I think this is my year to catch up on adventure games I never got a chance to play. I never got far in Sanitarium growing up, nor did I beat Gabriel Knight 2 or 3. I also have a lot of newer ones such as the Blackwell saga and Gemini Rue. Oh, and Grim Fandango! Here is to a year of old and new adventure games.

Just discovered this, I've added it to the list.

Randal's Monday

Just check out the trailer on the site people, very impressive and nicely put together.
Really hope it gets the attention it deserves, I'm going to keep an eye on this one.
Looked quite funny too, also play spot the reference with some background stuff.

Roubjon

Has the Daedalic bundle gone on sale yet, or has it ever? I want A New Beginning, The Dark Eye, and both Deponia games so I might as well just get the bundle, but I want to make sure I'm not potentially missing out on any deals.

I also started playing through Still Life and it's really good so far. I didn't expect the shift in story telling and it made the game more interesting than it would have been, which isn't to say I wasn't already enjoying it a ton.

Tizoc

Has the Daedalic bundle gone on sale yet, or has it ever? I want A New Beginning, The Dark Eye, and both Deponia games so I might as well just get the bundle, but I want to make sure I'm not potentially missing out on any deals.

I also started playing through Still Life and it's really good so far. I didn't expect the shift in story telling and it made the game more interesting than it would have been, which isn't to say I wasn't already enjoying it a ton.

Only game I'd want from this bundle is Chaos on Deponia, I already own Deponia 1 and Dark Eye.
Dunno if I'd like Edna and Harvey TBH, but if A new begging goes for under $5, I'll prob. get it lol.

Will get Jack Keane, it's only $2, but will get it by the time the sale/repeats end on Steam.

How is Gray Matter?
Really wish there's a steam version

It's probably in my top 10 overall list for the genre. It has it flaws, but it's well written, has a great puzzle structure, is challenging without becoming to irritating, and has great music. The 3d models aren't that pretty, but the locations are for the most part.

nny

gog had a similar bundle (didn't have the second Deponia but had Whispered World) for a little more than $20, but I fear it is no longer available.

Chaos on Deponia is pretty much the only game I'm hoping gets a bigger discount on the Steam sales.

Kyari

Only game I'd want from this bundle is Chaos on Deponia, I already own Deponia 1 and Dark Eye.
Dunno if I'd like Edna and Harvey TBH, but if A new begging goes for under $5, I'll prob. get it lol.

Will get Jack Keane, it's only $2, but will get it by the time the sale/repeats end on Steam.

A new beginning is $4.99 on GOG if that counts as less than $5

Tizoc

Goddammit, I knew I should have waited for the flash sales. Oh well, I only bought Dreamfall for $2 more, so it's not that bad. I just thought the game would never pop up.

Well we never expected Steam to troll us with repeat sales but...lol.
I've learned from the last sale, HOLD! and it will go on a bigger discount.

Tizoc

So Primordia...seems this game has been getting mixed opinions at least from the last time it was brought up. If anyone's played it, I'd like to hear more impressions about it.

MBison

I played Primordia a few weeks ago. I personally loved it.

- cool game world enhanced by some background info but not overly so.

- great voice acting IMO. Interaction between sidekick and main character is good

- decent puzzles, well integrated with mostly inventory but some other types

- starts slow but eventually offers some very interesting philosophical points

- graphics are drabby but fit the game world

- music is incredible

Any specific questions?

Fjordson

I think Primordia is great. MBison basically covered the basics. Certainly not revolutionary, but it's a quality adventure game in the classic mold. I'll just add that the soundtrack is really good.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I liked Gemini Rue but couldn't stand Primordia. The puzzles were unrewarding and the characters barely had a 'voice' of their own.

It's hard for me to articulate exactly what it was about the game that rubbed me the wrong way. I'd describe it as "aggressively mediocre". It wasn't a complete fiasco. It's wearing the same clothes as much, much better games, so when it trips up and is only "good enough", suddenly "good enough" feels kind of insulting.

I played up until I got the train working and then uninstalled it. I'd pick up Resonance, if you haven't already.

megalowho

Seeing all those titles in the OP (and many of them legitimately relevant) warms my heart. Going to be an exciting year for adventure games.

nny

Do you like adventure games? Cute things?

Pre-orders for Plush Josef (from Machinarium) are up:

robot-josef-machinarium-001.jpg

http://amanita-design.net/store/robot-josef.html

<3

Yeah, came home after work today to buy the Daedalic Bundle and it's just the encore sale.
I waited TOO LONG :( ach it will come around again I suppose.

In other news The Dream Machine has an Opt In beta patch at the moment via Steam.

http://dreammachinegame.blogspot.se/2013/01/steam-public-beta.html

We're currently running a beta of the latest Steam patch. We've been hearing about some problems with the Mac version of the game, but we're hoping most of the issues have been solved by now. But in order to test this out, we're running a beta.

If you want to opt in and try it out, simply right click on The Dream Machine in your Steam games library, select Properties > Betas and then select "Public Beta - Jan 2013" in the drop down menu. The game should start to update immediately.

Aside from addressing Mac stability issues, this update contains the musical overhaul that we've rolled out during these past months.

Full patch notes:

&#8226; Engine: Rebuilt Mac version to address stability issues
&#8226; Engine: Changed how the save system works on Mac
&#8226; Engine: Removed text-to-speech function on Mac
&#8226; Engine: Made it possible to click outside the walkable area
&#8226; Engine: Removed the feet cursor indicating walkable areas
&#8226; Engine: Fixed bug that occasionally caused Victor's dialogue to be drawn too high on screen
&#8226; Engine: Musical system totally overhauled
&#8226; Game: Next chapter teaser texts now displays correctly
&#8226; Game: Music volume reduced by 60% when viewing menus
&#8226; Game: Displays overlay if helmet is worn when viewing a close-up
&#8226; Game: Swapped some graphical assets to high resolution
&#8226; Game: UI tweaked
&#8226; Chapter 1, 2 & 3: Reworked background tracks
&#8226; Chapter 2: Added telephone interactions
&#8226; Chapter 2: Fixed bug that would place Victor strangely after visiting the blacksmith
&#8226; Chapter 2: Fixed navigation problem in Morton's basement
&#8226; Chapter 2: Fixed graphical bug during the machine's attack
&#8226; Chapter 3: Removed 'invisible' book in cabin 1
&#8226; Chapter 3: Fixed faucet related bugs
&#8226; Chapter 3: Autosave points added

As always, we really appreciate if you report any problems you're having.

Cheers,

epmode

I like those guys. That guy. Whatever.

The increased resolution update they put out a few months back was amazing.

I liked Gemini Rue but couldn't stand Primordia. The puzzles were unrewarding and the characters barely had a 'voice' of their own.

It's hard for me to articulate exactly what it was about the game that rubbed me the wrong way. I'd describe it as "aggressively mediocre". It wasn't a complete fiasco. It's wearing the same clothes as much, much better games, so when it trips up and is only "good enough", suddenly "good enough" feels kind of insulting.

I played up until I got the train working and then uninstalled it. I'd pick up Resonance, if you haven't already.

Whoa. You didn't play nearly long enough to get an opinion on that then. The game really picks up once you get to Metropol. Even before then it has some incredible characters and writing.

Zaph

Finished Gray Matter not too long ago. While it definitely has its problems, I thought it was fantastic.

Any recommendations for adventure games with a similar tone/style?

Been playing The Last Express for a couple of hours. Just reached
the part where violinist and Kronos are playing for the other passengers
. And I'm not really feeling it. Heard lot's of good things about the game from others, and adventuregamers.com listed it quite high on their top 100 list. But I'm finding it to be really boring quite frankly, with an interface that very seldom helps me.

Does it get any better than this, or is it just not a game for me? Any tips on how to play it (what to look for, what to think about) to make it more enjoyable? How long does it take to beat the game from where I am now?

Berto

Been playing The Last Express for a couple of hours. Just reached
the part where violinist and Kronos are playing for the other passengers
. And I'm not really feeling it. Heard lot's of good things about the game from others, and adventuregamers.com listed it quite high on their top 100 list. But I'm finding it to be really boring quite frankly, with an interface that very seldom helps me.

Does it get any better than this, or is it just not a game for me? Any tips on how to play it (what to look for, what to think about) to make it more enjoyable? How long does it take to beat the game from where I am now?
It might not be your cup of tea, by that point I was already completely amazed by the realism, attention to detail and atmosphere. Was amazing to just wander on the train trying to find more about all those characters, I felt like an Agatha Christie character ^^ The concert where you are now is awesome, it plays in real time and you basically can do everything you want.

Top Bottom