• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB 2: Electric Boogaloo (New X and Y info)

The problem with the new Pokemon isn't the design but the coloring technique used in the art

The old Pokemon art have a washed out water color look to them, while the newer one are very solid and looked to be drawn in a computer program.

This is why people feel that they aren't "natural" or are "fan made"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ahh well, no news then.

The problem with the new Pokemon isn't the design but the coloring technique used in the art

The old Pokemon art have a washed out water color look to them, while the newer one are very solid and looked to be drawn in a computer program.

This is why people feel that they aren't "natural" or are "fan made"

Eh even old Pokemon get done in new art.

Hell, I'd say the old style is terrible. I agree with a poster in /vp/, Sugimori was mimicking Toriyama and it looked terrible. I'm glad he finally managed to make his own style come Gen III.

Hell, I'd say the old style is terrible. I agree with a poster in /vp/, Sugimori was mimicking Toriyama and it looked terrible. I'm glad he finally managed to make his own style come Gen III.

Gen III is when i started disliking the art style so i'm definitely opposite to you.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Gen III is where the designs started becoming truly unique imo, and where the series found the style it seemed to be looking for. My fave gen for designs, definitely.

Boken

Banned
1338341-1228537089642.png

my nigga tyrannitar. I miss designs like him. Not saying the newer GENs suck, but older designs had this "rough edge" look sometimes. You know what I mean? I don't think they have lost their originality. I think the way they design their Pokémon is different. It's like they're using a different art style

There are exceptions to this rule like:

braviary.jpg

I have hope for X & Y though. Yveltal looks amazing and even the X legendary looks good. Not really liking the starters (except for chespin, he's the only one that looks badass tbh) but I'm not writing them off until I see evolutions. Here's to hoping the rest of the Pokémon look awesome.

ttar for life yo

best allrounder OU rse team

Espada

Well, unless Coro Coro literally just prints the Newtwo art and leaves it at that, we'll get something from this issue. We know NOTHING.

That's PROBABLY what's going to happen. Just a repackaging of the media assets released about the Mewtwo form. Seems like most of the X&Y info we're going to get will be centered around the movie. At least until it's released anyway.

JoeM86

That's PROBABLY what's going to happen. Just a repackaging of the media assets released about the Mewtwo form. Seems like most of the X&Y info we're going to get will be centered around the movie. At least until it's released anyway.

The Mewtwo form is in the movie, so...

Hilariously enough I'm the opposite lol

That's why I don't believe that Ethan comparison. Yeah Gen IV Ethan design sucks, but Gen II Ethan artstyle sucks as well.

I'm going to be honest i'm not really a big fan of the designs of any of the human characters in pokemon.

Just as a note that's not to say that i hate gen III or all the designs. Not sure why but ludicolo became an instant favorite of mine Then again when i like using a pokemon to battle i think it makes me biased about their design (and i love using ludicolo).

Boss Doggie

I'm going to be honest i'm not really a big fan of the designs of any of the human characters in pokemon.

Just as a note that's not to say that i hate gen III or all the designs. Not sure why but ludicolo became an instant favorite of mine Then again when i like using a pokemon to battle i think it makes me biased about their design (and i love using ludicolo).

Who doesn't love mexican pokemon?

Ludicolo_Lord_of_the_Dance_by_DrawerOfThings.jpg

Espada

The Mewtwo form is in the movie, so...

Yup, and I suspect most of the Gen VI info revealed before the movie's release will relate to it in some way. We already have that one screen with Mewtwo facing the Genesect squad with two empty spaces below him. It seems like those two will be taken up by forms he'll assume in the movie (rather than new pokemon).

tajd

Banned
Yup, and I suspect most of the Gen VI info revealed before the movie's release will relate to it in some way. We already have that one screen with Mewtwo facing the Genesect squad with two empty spaces below him. It seems like those two will be taken up by forms he'll assume in the movie (rather than new pokemon).

were getting a new movie 16 trailer next week with that newtwo in it

Brickhunt

Ahh well, no news then.

I am not an expert or enthusiast about designs, but in my opinion Sugimori's style became bland as hell. I do say FR/LG's Red is the most boring design he ever did.

JoeM86

joe do think maybe mewtwo cloned himself to make a x & y form ?

No I don't. It makes no sense in the context of the movie.

In this movie, Mewtwo is concerned because the Genesect are not meant to be in the world, like itself. I don't see it making a clone of itself

Boss Doggie

Dark/Steel is better, only giving it 3 weaknesses. Rock/Steel makes it screwy lol

I am not an expert or enthusiast about designs, but in my opinion Sugimori's style became bland as hell. I do say FR/LG's Red is the most boring design he ever did.

You say bland, I say improved.

Boss Doggie

Japanese covers are like that. These things like Jump and Coro Coro tend to be thick and feature so much different content, so there's that.

And eh, while his old art has their charms a lot of the stuff that bother me were off model stuff. Hell, sometimes I think the anime did the Pokemon better at some points.

So, when can we expect new Newtwo info?

I like Sugimori's new style too, I just miss how creative and dynamic some of the art was before. Gen 1 had some awesome poses. Like we would never see anything like this now:

1l8wZJB.jpg

or this
5WmSbra.jpg

Yup, I vastly prefer the old art style.. Its a small difference, but for me it goes a long way.

DaBoss

The old art style has a lack of color, I like my colors. The old one looks pale due to the lack of color. It never looked bad though, but the newer style looks a lot better due to the colors.

zroid

Banned
The old art style has a lack of color, I like my colors. The old one looks pale due to the lack of color. It never looked bad though, but the newer style looks a lot better due to the colors.

I was thinking the same. I don't mind the old art at all really, but I find it too subdued. I prefer vibrancy.

Tomorrow morning is likely

Cool.

To me the colors were vibrant, but then toned down and earthy due to the pallet. I just love the texture and look, especially the water color style. It gives it a unique fantasy feel, and it helped it stand out from others. I just prefer than hand drawn/colored look, and the art style that came with it. That said, their were a few instances were the revised versions look better, but I always prefer the old coloring style.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
This is probably the best New Sugimori Art:
LN2lUmB.png

Your opinion on the design might vary, but I love the pose he drew it in that really gives it more personality than the usual stock Sugimori Art.

I always thought the Anime (and TCG) does the best job at making me like a Pokemon over the Sugi and Sprites, although I imagine the full 3D models might do a good job too.

Gen III is where the designs started becoming truly unique imo, and where the series found the style it seemed to be looking for. My fave gen for designs, definitely.

YES! Looking back, Gen III is my favorite still, a nice mix between simple and complex, and the art style isn't totally washed out but not as "safe" as the Gen IV and up art.

There's so many Pokemon I find interesting in Gen III, including a lot of dudes who basically have faded away from general Pokemon knowledge, but are still pretty interesting designs...Cradily, Grumpig, Huntail, etc.

Also, I love the Gen III Legendaries...all except perhaps the Lati@s. But Weather Trio, Regis, Jirachi, and Deoxys rock.

2Gt9Hzh.jpg

DaBoss

YES! Looking back, Gen III is my favorite still, a nice mix between simple and complex, and the art style isn't totally washed out but not as "safe" as the Gen IV and up art.

There's so many Pokemon I find interesting in Gen III, including a lot of dudes who basically have faded away from general Pokemon knowledge, but are still pretty interesting designs...Cradily, Grumpig, Huntail, etc.

Also, I love the Gen III Legendaries...all except perhaps the Lati@s. But Weather Trio, Regis, Jirachi, and Deoxys rock.

2Gt9Hzh.jpg

I have to say, looking back now, I have to agree. It could be because I had the most hours put into that gen or the huge facelift the games gotten, but I do know I loved all of the legendaries.

Also, I'm glad you posted that poster. It is epic as hell, so glad it came with Emerald. I drew the poster with my hand on a large piece of paper and just added more lightning and weather effects. That was my favorite thing to recreate.

Though I lost the poster and my hand drawn version. :(

Izick

So I'm really excited for this game. I haven't been this excited about a Pokemon game since probably Silver and Gold. Random question, but as someone who hasn't really followed the series since Ruby, is there anything I should really know or brush up on before X/Y?

DaBoss

So I'm really excited for this game. I haven't been this excited about a Pokemon game since probably Silver and Gold. Random question, but as someone who hasn't really followed the series since Ruby, is there anything I should really know or brush up on before X/Y?

Well it depends on how much you remember Gold and Silver. There have been many changes in mechanics and gameplay, but you'll probably learn it in X/Y.

There are 649 currently and X/Y will take the total to somewhere over 700.

There really isn't anything to really know about. The Pokemon series is very easy to pick up and play.

Well it depends on how much you remember Gold and Silver. There have been many changes in mechanics and gameplay, but you'll probably learn it in X/Y.

There are 649 currently and X/Y will take the total to somewhere over 700.

There really isn't anything to really know about. The Pokemon series is very easy to pick up and play.

just realized we'll have a #666, I hope they do something cool for that one. or just make it a shitty fish or something.

Top Bottom