• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PokéBOMB 2: Electric Boogaloo (New X and Y info)

Jofamo

Burgh's Insect Badge
castelia_badge.png

Looks familiar to the bit below Sylveon.

It's IMPOSSIBLE to tell based on this, it really is

So what are you saying? It's either Bug or something new? Do you not think that if it was Bug, it'd be a little more obvious? More green in it's design, a more bug related name, more bug motifs surrounding the promotions?

This
bug2.gif

Does not fit into here
MikLCCp.jpg

All you've showed me here is that the motif from the video looks like it has an insecty/small wing in it. Kind of like Clefairy's wings. CleFAIRY. :p OH i'm going there with retroactive typing too.

JoeM86

So what are you saying? It's either Bug or something new? Do you not think that if it was Bug, it'd be a little more obvious? More green in it's design, a more bug related name, more bug motifs surrounding the promotions?

This
bug2.gif

Does not fit into here
MikLCCp.jpg

All you've showed me here is that the motif from the video looks like it has an insecty/small wing in it. Kind of like Clefairy's wings. CleFAIRY. :p OH i'm going there with retroactive typing too.

I'm just saying that there's so much pointing at so much that it's impossible to tell

zroid

Banned
I'm just saying that there's so much pointing at so much that it's impossible to tell

I agree. I just feel that, where upon Sylveon's reveal, I wouldn't have even entertained the possibility of a new type, it's actually something they could drop on us now.

persongr

I'm not saying it's for definite Love or Fairy. That's why I left New Type there as well.

But so far, every single piece of evidence has in no way suggested it's one of the known types.

-They've went out of their way to not mention it's typing at all.
-It's name is Sylveon. Eevee evolution names are always explicit giveaways about their types.
-It's design does not explicitly match any of the known types. Every Eevee evolution design explicitly matches their type.
-Every colour/design motif/promotional material surrounding it has been explicitly pink, again, not matching any typing, not in line with Eevee tradition.

It's a new type.

In that regard, sylvan means ...foresty (!). (yeah, i googled it)

I don't think it's a bug type though, I believe the X/Y female/male theory is true. Especially after the amorous meowth in the trailer.

Jofamo

In that regard, sylvan means ...foresty (!). (yeah, i googled it)

I don't think it's a bug type though, I believe the X/Y female/male theory is true. Especially after the amorous meowth in the trailer.

Female/Male typing is an interesting thought, but one that I personally hope doesn't happen.

Pokemon actually does pretty damn well nowadays with gender roles and designs. Near every Pokemon has a male and female member. You can choose to play as either a girl or boy, and it doesn't matter a single bit (dialogue, story). It's very evenly spread which gym leaders/elite 4/team leaders/champions are male and female. It's pretty much a perfect gender game. Specific Pokemon are only one gender, but they're usually understandable.

If they put in Male/Female related typings, and Sylveon is solely Female? They just took one huge step back in my eyes. Enforcing cutesy, pink, ribbons and such are for girls only. I'd hate to see what the other Pokemon along those types are.

Neo Child

Banned
Umbreon is the only one that isnt obvious to me.

Umbra is latin for shadow/ghost according to bulbapedia.

Sylveon confuses me

Sylva means forest of truth/ and is female in latin soooo

maybe Eevee will get a boy/girl normal evolution? goes with the XX/XY theory. there is a bit of evidence that points it to being a bug type but it doesnt look like a bug evo.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
You have to look at all of the names of Sylveon across the languages.

The common factor is relation to "fairy".

I did read an interesting idea that Nymphia is meant to be a pun on "nymph" (the fairy, and the bug class named after the fairy from Greek myth) and how in Japan "yosei" can mean fairy/pupa, and that the rest of the countries focused on the "fairy" part over the implied bug pun, but I'm not sure if the localizers would be that blind.

RagnarokX

Umbreon is the only one that isnt obvious to me.

Umbra is latin for shadow/ghost according to bulbapedia.

Sylveon confuses me

Sylva means forest of truth/ and is female in latin soooo

maybe Eevee will get a boy/girl normal evolution? goes with the XX/XY theory. there is a bit of evidence that points it to being a bug type but it doesnt look like a bug evo.

Sylvan means "of the woods" hence Transylvania (beyond the woods) and Pennsylvania (Penn's woods). It refers to inhabitants of the woods, which would include things like fairies. Sylveon's Japanese name is more direct, since people think of nymphs more as fairies than as bugs, but perhaps NoA felt that was too risque for the US market since nymphs traditionally are very sexual, hence nymphomania, and they didn't want more disturbing fanart than they already got.

Watch Da Birdie

Saw this on Dogasu's Backpack translation of the Manga Adaption:

Eric explains that the Ortus flowers (which is my best attempt at romanizing オルタス) were brought over to Pokemon Hills from the Alssace Natural Park (アルサス自然公園). Alsace, as in the region of France, is written out as アルザス in Japanese and is, like New Tork City, is only a single letter off from the original. There's speculation that the Pocket Monsters X & Y are based on France, so is it possible that Alssace is the name of one of the cities in the new game? Raimon City got namedropped in the Zorro'ark movie before we knew about the location in Black & White, after all, so it is possible.

I'm wondering if this Ortus Flower might end up being a real item in XY that unlocks Genesect's speculated Original Forme, just like how the Gracidea Flower from Movie 11 ended up being included in Platinum as a way to change Shaymin's Forms.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
RE: Sylveon

You sure it's not flying? I want you guys to look up on Tennin

It's actually... Digimon-ish than DBZ :p

Also I was right that one of the Genesect becomes Ash's friend.

Also who's Mewtwo's new VA? A bit feminine.

Hugs

I've out of the loop since before the new eevee was announced. Does anyone think its just a normal type evo of Eevee?

Boss Doggie

Wow, an actress rather than a voice actress. This is interesting.

Also Serebii has summary of the film.

After escaping from Team Plasma, the Genesect get distressed because the place they knew as their home before they died has been completely changed by sweeping snowstorms. They head to New Tork City wanting to regain their former home. Mewtwo senses their voices as, just like the Genesect, it too was created by human hands, born from the genes of Mew. Ash and friends arrive in New Tork City, having travelled there in order to check out Pokemon Hills but then the Genesect show up, and the super fast Red Genesect fires off an energy ball towards Satoshi and the other yelling out "ELIMNATE THE ENEMY". Mewtwo sweeps in and blocks the attack. It says that it understands how the Genesect feel - it too was not meant to exist in this world but despite that, it's still going to stop them from attacking the Pokemon of the city. The two clash, the shockwaves from their incredible fight flying all through the city. Does Mewtwo display its true power after awakening? How does this battle guided by fate end? Ash promises to take the Genesect to their home. How will he an Pikachu manage to fulfill their promise and save the city!?

So it's like a weird ET!

Jofamo

RE: Sylveon

You sure it's not flying? I want you guys to look up on Tennin

That just makes me think it's Fairy even more. Nice catch.

Tennin (天人), which may include tenshi (天使), ten no tsukai (天の使い, lit. heavenly messenger) and the specifically female tennyo (天女) are spiritual beings found in Japanese Buddhism that are similar to western angels, nymphs or fairies.

Boss Doggie

But why create "fairy" type when it can pretty much mean they can be pure flying? See, most common "flying" types are usually half because they aren't really "pure". The one that is pure flying doesn't even resemble your average flying type. Hence I consider Sylveon Flying and not "fairy".

Also I wonder how people would take in the voice change of Mewtwo lol

Avixph

But why create "fairy" type when it can pretty much mean they can be pure flying? See, most common "flying" types are usually half because they aren't really "pure". The one that is pure flying doesn't even resemble your average flying type. Hence I consider Sylveon Flying and not "fairy".

Also I wonder how people would take in the voice change of Mewtwo lol
It would be cool if the English dub has two voice actors ( Male and Female) voicing the "Awakened Mewtwo" at the same time.

Box

So it's a new forme?

Well I guess that means that Mewtwo proper is more likely to be in SSB4, but it's also unnecessary and lame.

I also think Sylveon is probably a new type. I'm not particularly excited about that though. I think just adding a random type this late in the game would be a little awkward unless it was part of a larger re-typing and re-balancing to include all the previous Pokemon.

I might be annoyed if they go with boy version and girl version. I'd like to be able to play the game I want without making a statement about my gender.

HardRojo

Wow, pretty disappointed it turned out to be a new form for Mewtwo, he went from great to horrible in like 2 seconds.
Reminds me of the Tall Buu > Kid Buu transformation btw.

So it's a new forme?

Well I guess that means that Mewtwo proper is more likely to be in SSB4, but it's also unnecessary and lame.

I also think Sylveon is probably a new type. I'm not particularly excited about that though. I think just adding a random type this late in the game would be a little awkward unless it was part of a larger re-typing and re-balancing to include all the previous Pokemon.

I might be annoyed if they go with boy version and girl version. I'd like to be able to play the game I want without making a statement about my gender.

That was kinda a jump. Sylveon is probably going to be a new type that would extend to other creatures as well. I seriously doubt they would add a brand new type to just ONE type of Pokémon.

Vidiot

Wait so let me get this straight, Mewtwo can change back and forth between old Mewtwo and mini Mewtwo? Or does he change and then that's that?

backlot

Wait so let me get this straight, Mewtwo can change back and forth between old Mewtwo and mini Mewtwo? Or does he change and then that's that?

I'm pretty sure all forms in the past have been able to change back. There's nothing yet to suggest Mewtwo will be any different.

Daingurse

So it's a new forme?

To be fair the game needs some re-balancing. Poison and Ice need to reexamined IMO.

Vidiot

I'm pretty sure all forms in the past have been able to change back. There's nothing yet to suggest Mewtwo will be any different.

Ah thanks, good to hear. I've been out of the Pokemon loop for a while and was thinking of jumping back in with X/Y. I had no idea how "forms" worked.

Box

That was kinda a jump. Sylveon is probably going to be a new type that would extend to other creatures as well. I seriously doubt they would add a brand new type to just ONE type of Pokémon.

I think it would be awkward to start creating a new type of Pokemon without bringing the old ones up to speed in some way. I didn't say Sylveon would be the only one with a new type.

They've got about 650 Pokemon already. Unless they add a substantial number of new ones for a new generation, the new Pokemon are always going to be dwarfed in prominence by the old ones. If they're coming up with new ideas, then they ought to extend to all of the Pokemon, not just the new ones. To suddenly start making Pokemon of a new type after 650 Pokemon of all kinds have been created without that type could feel awkward. It would be way less prominent than every other type. Adding types in the second generation was easier to do because there were already a lot of types that had only a few Pokemon. Now every type has all sorts of Pokemon except a potential new type.

I'm interested in how GameFreak intends to handle the ever-growing number of Pokemon. They're already at the point where they can't really incorporate all of the Pokemon in just two games. If they're going to keep adding 100-150 new ones every few years, then they're going to have to either increase the content of their games, make more games, or de-emphasize a lot of the older Pokemon.

Each Pokemon has a certain amount of content associated with it. You can't just stick 400 Pokemon in a game that's the same size as the others. So far, they've been only doing two games per generation so it's not really enough to cover them all. I think it would be really nice if the 6th generation is complete meaning that you don't have to trade back to older generations to get all the Pokemon. I just hope that the answer to that is to make more content and not to shove all the unwanted Pokemon into a Safari Zone or something.

Watch Da Birdie

That Hiro dude actually "confirmed" Sylveon's Type months ago...but, you know, who knows if he's right. He got into big trouble for the BW leaks iirc, so it's doubtful he has the same sources as before.

He did say that the Mewtwo Forme was official though...and was right about that but, then again, I said it was real too and I don't have any insider sources.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh apparently the Spanish leaker has stated Sylveon's type:
it's Flying
If that's true they dropped the ball HARD on the looks. That doesn't look like a goddamn flying type to me. Ever other Eeveelution has pretty explicit design cues that relate to it's type, and for good reason.

DaBoss

If that's true they dropped the ball HARD on the looks.
That doesn't look like a goddamn flying type to me. Ever other Eeveelution has pretty explicit design cues that relate to it's type, and for good reason.

It's spoilered for a reason. :p

It seems the whole design is intentionally ambiguous.

Top Bottom