• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
>December 3: XY&Z006 Welcome to the Ninja Village! The Legend of the Heroic Greninja!!

Aww yiss! The digital broadcast for this is Venusaur, so one of Sanpei's bros. Next ep has Greninja in the db.

brinstar

Yeah the plot to X/Y just felt weird and disconnected coming off of B/W. And AZ just comes across as a weak character design to me. I don't think the idea of the story itself was bad, it just needed to be peppered across the game more. I remember really liking the credits sequence though.

Like with B/W... man even if you thought the story was stupid I think that game used its characters so much more effectively. All the NPC's and Gym Leaders and stuff felt much more present in my mind than the ones in X/Y.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh and the summary of XYZ05: Pikachu Dreams of Squishy

>Pikachu wakes up one night the group is camping out to find that Ash and his friends' Pokémon are all talking human language for some reason. Pikachu is completely confused, having no idea what's going on at all, but just then, it hears someone tell it "Help me!"...

Hype!

Interesting project: this person is going to attempt to create a device that will let you trade from Gen 2 to Gen 3 (!)

http://obskyr.io/lanette/devlog/

Will keep a eye on this while it progresses - it will be interesting to see how, aside from the physical aspects, they'll handle the data conversions involved.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Doing nuzlock Leaf Green run. Named my Rattata Ricky. Tried to fight a trainer's magnemite in Mt. Moon.

1AJgmDy.gif

Ricky! :(

brinstar

So I'm organizing my Pokemon in the Bank to try to make a living dex. I'm sitting there for like an hour when I got to the middle of Hoenn, I go to save it and it fucking crashes and I lost all my progress.

:(

So I'm organizing my Pokemon in the Bank to try to make a living dex. I'm sitting there for like an hour when I got to the middle of Hoenn, I go to save it and it fucking crashes and I lost all my progress.

:(

I've almost finished my living dex, I've just got a few Gen 5 and 6 mons left to grab!

Mr-Joker

Banned
Yeah, the story in Gen VI is pretty normal most of the time, you go through towns and encounter the Flare guys a few times, hear some blabbering by Lysandre and then, out of nowhere, the giant dude appears and you get some super sad backstory and it's like "Wut?". The whole backstory then is fully ignored until you beat the champion. It feels like something completely unrelated to the main game.

Yeah I will admit that gen 6 had problem with its pacing. In fact X and Y had three story running at the same time.

-Mega mystery, resolved at Shalour City and during post game.

-Team Flare story, got crammed into one huge section with no breathing space what so ever.

-The War that occurred 3000 years ago, this was peppered within the region with NPC mentioning but then we got the biggest part of the story from AZ which was crammed in during Team Flare.

The biggest problem was that Game Freak did a poor job in pacing the story, which seem like a step backward from gen 5 which told its story effectively.

Plus to this day I have no idea how Yveltal/Xerneas plays into the story of the great war or where they fit within the Kalos lore.

Which is why I get the feeling that "Pokémon Z" story is going to much better than what X and Y offered as Zygarde will play a big part in the game, plus Game Freak will go all out to end gen 6 with a bang.

While nothing really happens in XY until the end, I can't really understand when people say BW had a good story. It's probably the best in the main series but that's not saying much lol. It's pretty much talking about "what if Pokemon were liberated from humans/shouldn't be in Pokeballs" but it doesn't really go anywhere with it. Oh and Ghetsis being just evil and not caring was obvious but still pointless.

There were other good moment like how Ghetsis messed up N just to get what he wanted.

Honestly if you focus on Ghetsis and Team Plasma "liberating" Pokémon you will most out on the story of gen 5.

For example I really dug Unova lore and how the Twins raged wars with their dragon and pretty much destroyed their kingdom.

Yeah the plot to X/Y just felt weird and disconnected coming off of B/W. And AZ just comes across as a weak character design to me. I don't think the idea of the story itself was bad, it just needed to be peppered across the game more. I remember really liking the credits sequence though.

Like with B/W... man even if you thought the story was stupid I think that game used its characters so much more effectively. All the NPC's and Gym Leaders and stuff felt much more present in my mind than the ones in X/Y.

Agreed, Korrina is the only character that actually played somewhat of a role during the game.

Heck she did more than Diantha.

Billyman

Neo Member
Z will definitely have a way better story than X/Y. Platinum did so much to reinvent the bare bones story with D&P so I'm sure they'll do that again.

Nightbird

Question:

Would you prfer Z to be a

a) re-telling of XY with Zygarde added to the Story

or

b) a sequel with a new Story that focuses entirely on Zygarde?

I know that there are more possible scenarios, but out of those two basic ideas, what would you prefer?

JoeM86

Question:

or

I know that there are more possible scenarios, but out of those two basic ideas, what would you prefer?
Both at once

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Am I alone in mainly caring about the gyms?
I'd rather they'd do away with the standard evil-team concept and just let the gym-leaders/towns have a bigger role with mini-quests throughout, and the actual focus/climax being the league.

Oswen

Question:

or

I'd prefer a sequel, I enjoyed BW2 way more than the other "third versions" since it felt more original and unique.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Cyrus is still the best villain, in Platinum at least.

Agreed, Cyrus is a twisted individual who will do anything to obtain his goal and this includes hiding his true plan from his underling.

Plus he's the only villain in the entire Pokémon series to actually succeed with his plan.

Question:

or

The section option.

Honestly what I want out of Pokémon Z is,

-Less gen 1 pandering, lets use Z to celebrate Gen 6 coming to a close.

-The ability to take off roller skates, I didn't like them.

-More option in customizing trainers, especially for boys.

-The option to turn on auto-run like how Heart Gold and Soul Silver had.

-The return of Challenge mode but not version exclusive and not locked till post game.

-No forced Mega tutorial, granted OR/AS didn't do this but I would like that to continue.

-Don't force me to send a Pokémon back to the PC just to add a legendary to my team in the middle of the adventure, it was annoying how OR/AS forced me to do that for Latias/Latios. I will take them but I didn't want them in my team.

-Less of the hand holding, OR/AS literally pointed out where you needed to go and do, I get that the game is aimed at young kids but at least dial back on that.

-Better pace the story, X and Y was really bad at story pacing and just squashed it all into one section with no breathing space.

-Fix Lumiose City camera issue.

-Have the camera pan back when surf in Azure Bay, I couldn't see anything due to how close the camera was.

-Let the Gym leaders play a bigger role within the story, so far only Korrina is the only one to that.

-Make Korrina the Champion instead of Diantha.

-Change up some of the Gym leader and give dark a gym, they are the only type not to get one.

-Give Gym Leaders and Elite 4 mega, it just seems silly that you make a big deal about them and hide them post game or give them to select people.

-Let us rebattle gym leaders, so far none of the gen 6 games let us do that.

-Have one and only one rival, the group of friend things was dumb and didn't work.

-Better post game please, Delta Episode was cool albeit poorly done.

-Bring back Zinnia, I liked her.

-Let me catch another event Pokémon in-game, it was cool finally being able to catch Deoxys and I would like to see more of that.

-Please please bring back the VS. seeker

-Cynthia cameo please.

... I don't think that I am asking for me.

I'd rather they'd do away with the standard evil-team concept and just let the gym-leaders/towns have a bigger role with mini-quests throughout, and the actual focus/climax being the league.

There's room for both if they are done well and personally I like challenging the gym while taking down the evil team.

JoeM86

So, Masuda's appearance in Pokénchi next week is due to him creating Pokémon music, not any announcement. Don't expect an announcement.

Chase17

So, Masuda's appearance in Pokénchi next week is due to him creating Pokémon music, not any announcement. Don't expect an announcement.

One day Z will be announced (not that I was expecting much from this event). I wonder if they'll wait until next year to announce it at this point.

Edit: Does any one know how Pokemon TV works? They have the first ten episodes of XY on there which I'd like to watch. Do they ever put up more of them or just keep the first ones?

JoeM86

Would be legitimately surprised if we heard about it before 2016 now.

As would I. Feb reveal for June launch is my new theory but who knows. I've given up predicting things, especially as when I post predictions here, parts of the Internet go crazy, act like it's scripture and then insult me when it comes to not pass.

Busaiku

As would I. Feb reveal for June launch is my new theory but who knows. I've given up predicting things, especially as when I post predictions here, parts of the Internet go crazy, act like it's scripture and then insult me when it comes to not pass.
February reveal confirmed.
I'll make the thread.

Gengahrrr

Any chance the reveal happens during the final Nintendo Direct of this year?

Development has to be nearing completion as this point.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Sooo you're saying I should expect an announcement and be hyped? :D :D :D

Game Freak please there is only so much I can take before I disappointed.

lol gawwwd I feel like I'm crawling through a desert

Same, it's worse for me as Europe doesn't get Yo-kai Watch till 2016 and that point I won't be bothered.

Well at least we get Mario and Luigi Paper Jam Bros.

brinstar

Same, it's worse for me as Europe doesn't get Yo-kai Watch till 2016 and that point I won't be bothered.

Well at least we get Mario and Luigi Paper Jam Bros.

I'm finishing up Xenoblade in time to play X, so I've got no shortage of games to play, but I'm getting more and more in a Pokemon mood again and would love a new title to speculate over, haha.

I guess this wait is a good thing... try and get people revved up again after the back to back releases of X/Y and OR/AS.

In the meantime I guess I'll chip away more at the free copy of Y I got from Club Nintendo a while back.

Hydrus

No. I really wish they would go the route of gen 1 and just have the evil team sort of be something that gets in your way but doesn't affect what your goal is. When I played yellow, I was always pumped when it was time for a gym battle so I could get that little badge on my player info screen and then eventually the elite four. Now a days I completely forget there apart of the game as I'm supposed to focus on stopping evil team from catching legendary pokemon, to take over world.

Fusebox

Banned
Hey I just started playing Pokemon X!

Why does the game freeze for a bit whenever I try and pick an item up?

Also I think I just triggered a random battle by simply turning around, not taking a step - if that a thing now?

Also it wouldn't let me call my Fletchling, 'Felching'. :(

Ahnez

Hey I just started playing Pokemon X!

Why does the game freeze for a bit whenever I try and pick an item up?

Also I think I just triggered a random battle by simply turning around, not taking a step - if that a thing now?

If you're playing without sound, them it looks like the game freezes when you pick up an item, but actually its waiting for the sound effect to play

And turning is considered a step when triggering battles against wild pokemon

But I don't know why its restricting that name :p

Fusebox

Banned
Ahh, yeah I had the sound down coz I'm at work. :D

Thx for the answers. Feels weird playing a Pokemon again after so many years - I'm loving it so far!

Seil

Yeah turning has always counted for encounters, that was extensively used in the Safari Zone to avoid running out of steps while hunting for certain Pokemon =p

Mr-Joker

Banned
I'm finishing up Xenoblade in time to play X, so I've got no shortage of games to play, but I'm getting more and more in a Pokemon mood again and would love a new title to speculate over, haha.

I guess this wait is a good thing... try and get people revved up again after the back to back releases of X/Y and OR/AS.

In the meantime I guess I'll chip away more at the free copy of Y I got from Club Nintendo a while back.

Yeah I am just whittling away at Chibi Robo Zip Lash, it's okay but not amazing. then I am going to play the first Mario and Luigi game before Paper Jam releases.

Then after I have finished Paper Jam, I will be playing Pokémon Crystal to scratch that Pokémon itch.

I just worried that I start Pokémon Crystal and then Pokémon get released while I am playing it... though that will be unlikely.

I am guessing the the "Ching" part is what triggering the swear word censor.

Honestly Pokémon is teaching me swear words with it's censorship system and I don't think Game Freak intended for that.

If you're playing without sound, them it looks like the game freezes when you pick up an item, but actually its waiting for the sound effect to play

Oh I didn't know that.

ash_ag

Despite a 1-hour special and the premiere of a new season, Pocket Monsters XY&Z didn't manage to chart on last week's Top 10. While that doesn't suggest it necessarily did bad, this must be quite concerning for the production. They are trying a lot of novelties lately, and that doesn't seem to increase the series' output. If introducing original content on the TV anime prior to the games doesn't help, I'm not sure what could. It is worth noting however that the XY finale did a 4.5% last week, which means that XY&Z + Mega IV could still have had a slight increase over that (since #10 is at 4.7% this week).

Incidentally, Pokémon TV has added XY episodes. Just the first 10 for the time being, but pretty nice. I have to say that Pokémon TV (and by extension the Nintendo Anime Channel) is a solution they haven't properly presumed upon yet. That relates to Yo-Kai Watch's mediocre premiere in the US as well. Digital distribution (coupled with the proportionate advertising) in such services should play a major role in the future.

Hatchtag

Banned
After how X and Y were, they can take as long as they want on Z. It needs a lot of improvement.

Ideally, it should be much less linear. I mean, there's a central city connecting the whole region that appears about 1-3 hours into the game, the perfect moment to let the player start making their own decisions about where to go. I mean, everyone thought that was going to be how the map was for a reason pre-X/Y. It lends itself so well to openness. Just do it.

Nightbird

After how X and Y were, they can take as long as they want on Z. It needs a lot of improvement.

Ideally, it should be much less linear. I mean, there's a central city connecting the whole region that appears about 1-3 hours into the game, the perfect moment to let the player start making their own decisions about where to go. I mean, everyone thought that was going to be how the map was for a reason pre-X/Y. It lends itself so well to openness. Just do it.

Seconded.

You could easily scale the levels of the gym leaders, and trigger story events by the number of badges you have.

Chase17

I don't really mind having a linear order of gym leaders. It would be neat to have it more open I guess, could make replaying the game more interesting.

Top Bottom