• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Nonlinearity for the next game again would be very nice but, please, at least give each Gym Leader more than 3 Pokemon this time. I've no idea how anyone could think that limiting Gym Leaders to 3 Pokemon was in any way a good idea.

Can easily be done by having teams which the game accesses based on the amount of badges you have already.

true but i think the problem with trying to do a non liner design is with wild Pokemon and trainer battles, there isn' really a good lore reason for that

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Zoroark was always different from Lucario. You just have to watch their debut movies to see that...

Lucario is basically a stand-alone Pokemon who's very heroic and humanoid, with a tacked-on pre-evolution.

Zoroark was introduced alongside its evolution, and is very feral and motherly. It was never shown to be anywhere as capable of Lucario, and I recall it basically jobbed in its debut.

It's a pretty notable difference people miss by trying to trip over themselves and accuse it of being a soulless copy of Lucario when it's got a pretty different personality and character. Only similarities are both being mammalian Pokemon who premiered before their respective game.

GoldStarz

Zoroark was always different from Lucario. You just have to watch their debut movies to see that...

Lucario is basically a stand-alone Pokemon who's very heroic and humanoid, with a tacked-on pre-evolution.

Zoroark was introduced alongside its evolution, and is very feral and motherly. It was never shown to be anywhere as capable of Lucario, and I recall it basically jobbed in its debut.

It's a pretty notable difference people miss by trying to trip over themselves and accuse it of being a soulless copy of Lucario when it's got a pretty different personality and character. Only similarities are both being mammalian Pokemon who premiered before their respective game.
There's also while most Lucario are presented as male, most Zoroark are presented as female (despite their gender ratio skewing otherwise).

Hatchtag

Banned
Problem with non-linear gyms is that their difficulty never scales.

Do it like previous games, let the difficulty pave a suggested order, but allow the order to do it however they feel. Since gyms focus around one type and every player's team is different, players will naturally deviate from the path. It works and I'd love to see it return to the series.

Nightbird

So i am going to start my first Nuzlocke run later today.

I am going to use the Fangame "Pokémon Glazed" to do so, since i really want a new Game to do so.

This is going to be fun lol

Nightbird

Well,that went over fast.

“Goku“ the Chimchar got wiped out by the rivals Cyndaquil since we were slower.

What a laughable result lol

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Never noticed this shot until now in the intro

7qLEXG3.jpg

dat cross-arms

Watch Da Birdie

I honestly don't even mind a linear Gym Leader path, I just want some more side routes to explore on my own between each Gym. Open-world Pokemon just seems like it might be a bit messy---I would be interested in a decent-sized hub area that evolves throughout the game that you come back to, Pokemon's never really done that except kind of with Lumiose, but playing Yokai Watch makes me wonder how a Pokemon set up like that where you explore a large, centralized area might feel like.

Anyway, Gym Leaders are so much more fun if you limit yourself to using the same amount of Pokemon as they do and using them throughout the Gym.

Sometimes I think it'd be cool if Game Freak made every battle with a Trainer like in the Stadium Games, everyone using the same amount of Pokemon (or less for the player if the only want to use 1 Pokemon), and change the game a bit to reflect that. If you lose to a Trainer you black out, but your Team is healed between each fight automatically, but of course the average Trainer would be tougher to accommodate this. Not sure how they'd handle that deal with Wild Pokemon, so it might be more fitting for a Colosseum-type spin-off where there's basically only Trainers.

ash_ag

There was some talk about the Ranger series on a different thread recently, and it made me realize that 2016 is Pokémon Ranger's 10th Anniversary. What if "Super Pokémon Ranger" became a thing? Or rather "Pokémon Ranger Z"?!

A lot of fans seem to think that a Game Freak-made Pokémon Z could still be in the pipeline even after the anime has proceeded long into the arc. While not impossible (especially considering that the actual plot could deviate from what happens in XY & Z), it makes me wonder if their strategy has more into it. Specifically, a new Ranger entry (or a different spin-off) fleshing-out certain Z-related things in the same way Pokémon Ranger (penned by GF's Toshinobu Matsumiya) introduced Manaphy's origin.

It goes without saying that such game would eventually link with the next Game Freak game, be it a next-Generation game (as in Manaphy's case) or something else. The suggestion that the 2016 game could be something quite big also fits with the fact that there's a chance it won't be releasing until the second half of 2016, judging from the fact that Worlds 2016 will seemingly be using ORAS. The rules update happens somewhere near December, and while a game could still theoretically be announced before then, it would be a first to change the usable games after announcing them in the first place.

Basically:
  • Q1 2016: Major 3DS spin-off featuring Z (be it "Pokémon Ranger Z" or something else)
  • Summer 2016: Movie 19 concludes the Z arc and introduces Volcanion -- a Volcanion event is distributed to the aforementioned spin-off and/or a distribution Volcanion is directly handed to XY/ORAS via movie tickets
  • Q3 2016: Ash finally competes in the Kalos League, the Pocket Monsters XY anime concludes
  • Q4 2016: Generation VII

A Z-based spin-off could fill the early 2016 slot without having to receive the same amount (and type) of promotion core games usually receive. That means that it could be announced in a more unsuspected time and be promoted in tandem with Generation VII, with the connectivity between the two being used as a major selling-point (as was the case in Ranger).

Incidentally, introducing Gen 7 on late 2016 is the only sensible option if they want a second generation on 3DS.

Watch Da Birdie

Pokemon Ranger is amazing, I'd love a new one.

Outside of a few specific Events held at certain locations, there's really no easy way to get Manaphy except through trading one up from Generation IV via Pokemon Ranger, right? And even then can you still access those with global Wi-Fi down?

ash_ag

Pokemon Ranger is amazing, I'd love a new one.

Outside of a few specific Events held at certain locations, there's really no easy way to get Manaphy except through trading one up from Generation IV via Pokemon Ranger, right? And even then can you still access those with global Wi-Fi down?

Yep. In fact, Manaphy hasn't been distributed directly since 2007 in North America, and has never been available outside Ranger in Europe. All three Ranger games have Manaphy Egg missions, but they are unfortunately locked behind Ranger Net time-limited Wi-Fi distributions, hence inaccessible now.

Interestingly, Gen 5 still had data for Manaphy's Egg despite it never being distributed there. I wonder if that's the case with Gen 6 as well.

ash_ag

I'd be utterly gobsmacked if that is what they want.

Considering 3DS's sales are 1/3rd of DS's (albeit with a higher software adoption rate), I wouldn't be surprised if they ended it with a final Gen 6 game in 2016. That said, this would mean that Game Freak, who are known to take their time, will have to do a major NX release within the system's first year. On top of that, this generation's content (as adapted by other media, like the TV anime) has nearly been utilized fully. It's not that they can't stretch it an awful lot, but scheduling definitely suggests they are nearing conclusion. Same can be said about the competitive scene -- the Gen 6 metagame is highly saturated. Two more years of that?

A highly competent Generation VI game could help with some of these issues, of course. But I don't see a third-version or a B2W2-esque sequel in their agenda. A "Gen 6.5" solution of sorts, continuing the Kalos arc, while still introducing a small amount of new Pokémon and a new region, maybe? More viable, but still... It may be unnecessary when they can just as easily move on to Gen 7.

Man, screw Articuno in the Battle Maison.

-Rock Slide misses Articuno.
-Articuno hits with Sheer Cold 3 times in a row.
-I lose streak at 47 wins :(

JoeM86

We do need a new spin-off. We're at the point again where we have nothing on the horizon (Pokkén doesn't count) aside from the weekly Pokémon Shuffle updates and bi/tri-weekly Collectible Badge Center updates.

Something to tie in with Zygarde Core would be neat. Small little download title where you play as Zygarde Core and have to collect Zygarde Cells.

Note: The above is clear pulled-from-butt stuff and not indicative of insider knowledge

Incidentally, introducing Gen 7 on late 2016 is the only sensible option if they want a second generation on 3DS.

Which won't happen. They won't start a new generation hype machine when there's still Pokémon to be released in the current generation.

A highly competent Generation VI game could help with some of these issues, of course. But I don't see a third-version or a B2W2-esque sequel in their agenda. A "Gen 6.5" solution of sorts, continuing the Kalos arc, while still introducing a small amount of new Pokémon and a new region, maybe? More viable, but still... It may be unnecessary when they can just as easily move on to Gen 7.
I think it's quite clear right now that it is on their agenda.

They're also not going to randomly add new Pokémon mid-generation. That will not happen.

ash_ag

Which won't happen. They won't start a new generation hype machine when there's still Pokémon to be released in the current generation.

I think it's quite clear right now that it is on their agenda.

They're also not going to randomly add new Pokémon mid-generation. That will not happen.

While it would be unprecedented to announce Generation VII before Volcanion is distributed, I don't think it would be that big an issue -- especially if the latter is revealed earlier (through Movie 19 details or potentially the supposed spinoff).

The fact is that this is the most sensible option if a second 3DS generation is to happen. Granted, it's not necessary this is the plan, but if it isn't, it does raise the question of whether Game Freak is inclined to release an NX game within a year of its debut.

In any case, only time will show. I wouldn't preclude a sequel significantly more content-heavy than B2W2 (regardless of whether it does anything to freshen the metagame), but I do think a third version would be too little, too late.

Watch Da Birdie

I wouldn't mind. I thought Black and White benefited from sticking with the DS, and I think Game Freak will benefit more by sticking and improving on the system as opposed to jumping to the next one and possibly giving us another XY where it's clear they can meet the basic specs of the system.

I also remember folks got pissed as fuck when XY was announced for the 3DS as opposed to the DS, Pokemon fans are weird when it comes to natural system progression.

Fusebox

Banned
Hey guys is there anywhere to view Pokemon type strengths and weaknesses in-game or do I need to get the app for my phone?

JoeM86

While it would be unprecedented to announce Generation VII before Volcanion is distributed, I don't think it would be that big an issue -- especially if the latter is revealed earlier (through Movie 19 details or potentially the supposed spinoff).

The fact is that this is the most sensible option if a second 3DS generation is to happen. Granted, it's not necessary this is the plan, but if it isn't, it does raise the question of whether Game Freak is inclined to release an NX game within a year of its debut.

In any case, only time will show. I wouldn't preclude a sequel significantly more content-heavy than B2W2 (regardless of whether it does anything to freshen the metagame), but I do think a third version would be too little, too late.

Why do you think a second 3DS generation is happening? That seems to be the entire crux of your argument when there is nothing to support it.

Look at it this way. NX is bound to be out next year. Gen 7 in 2017, that gives it a 1 year space. That's equivalent to how RS was on the GBA. They don't have to wait 2+ years after a new console is out

I wouldn't mind. I thought Black and White benefited from sticking with the DS, and I think Game Freak will benefit more by sticking and improving on the system as opposed to jumping to the next one and possibly giving us another XY where it's clear they can meet the basic specs of the system.

I also remember folks got pissed as fuck when XY was announced for the 3DS as opposed to the DS, Pokemon fans are weird when it comes to natural system progression.

Black & White came out months before the 3DS as well. That's why it "stuck" to the DS.

Watch Da Birdie

Hey guys is there anywhere to view Pokemon type strengths and weaknesses in-game or do I need to get the app for my phone?

No, the only game that did this was the Gen III Kanto remakes if I recall correctly. It's weird no game has done this beyond that as far as I remember.

ash_ag

I think a better question is whether Game Freak would be happy with sticking to the 3DS for three years after it's been replaced.

To put things into perspective:

GBA release: 2001/03
RS release: 2002/11
1 year and 8 months

NDS release: 2004/12
DP release: 2006/09
1 year and 9 months

3DS release: 2011/02
XY release: 2013/10
2 years and 8 months

Until now, Game Freak has been choosing to launch on new systems after they have grown at least a fair audience. A late 2016 launch for NX is possible, but not guaranteed. It's especially uncertain if the handheld will launch along with the console, and it's important to consider that work on the next generation has likely started for some time now.

Why do you think a second 3DS generation is happening? That seems to be the entire crux of your argument when there is nothing to support it.

Look at it this way. NX is bound to be out next year. Gen 7 in 2017, that gives it a 1 year space. That's equivalent to how RS was on the GBA. They don't have to wait 2+ years after a new console is out

Black & White came out months before the 3DS as well. That's why it "stuck" to the DS.

"Nothing" is a bit harsh. I'm talking about a reasonable scenario here. The fact that this is exactly what happened in the last switch between systems should be reason enough to consider the possibility. As I said, the circumstances of DS's and 3DS's success are different, so I'm not taking anything for granted. But until we know the concrete plans for NX, it can't be denied that a second generation on 3DS should hardly be to anyone's surprise.

JoeM86

"Nothing" is a bit harsh. I'm talking about a reasonable scenario here. The fact that this is exactly what happened in the last switch between systems should be reason enough to consider the possibility. As I said, the circumstances of DS's and 3DS's success are different, so I'm not taking anything for granted. But until we know the concrete plans for NX, it can't be denied that a second generation on 3DS should hardly be to anyone's surprise.

But there's no evidence to support it. It's based on the idea that the next generation will come next year when there's ample evidence to the contrary.

I don't think it's a case of refinement, honestly- the battle scenes were simply too ambitious for the 3DS in terms of polygons. The future-proofing of the Pokémon models was laudable (if daft), but the console simply cannot handle it.

Eh. It has to happen at some point- may as well be sooner rather than later.

I was under the impression that G5 was on DS because the DS was so popular. And that it was around for 7 years.

The initial release of gens coincide with either 4 year periods or 2 years post handheld release, so G7 2017 is more realistic than 2016 IMO. 2018 at the absolute ridiculous latest.

ash_ag

But there's no evidence to support it. It's based on the idea that the next generation will come next year when there's ample evidence to the contrary.

The anime's state (1 badge left for the League) and the use of ORAS in Worlds 2016 could be seen as evidence. If a "Pokémon Z" was planned for the second half of 2016, it would be incredibly odd to market its elements almost a year ahead. They would be old news by the time the game releases, making the whole point of Z-related evidence kinda moot (in that the same things could be incorporated in a new-Generation game).

Admittedly, a final Gen 6 game could be much more than just "Z". The reason they are nearing the conclusion of the Kalos saga could be related to the new content such game would provide -- maybe a new secondary region and whatnot. Likewise, maybe it could put a hand in improving the state of the metagame (through a mechanic related to Ash-Greninja, for example) for Worlds 2017. But all of these conditions take a lot of assumptions, and I'm merely suggesting an alternate scenario.

GoldStarz

Isn't the current theory that Z is releasing in early/middle 2016 though?

And the anime's state doesn't really matter tbh, they can just make up another endless filler arc if they want to.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Gen 5 was on the DS because it sold by the bucket load and lasted longer than normal.

Now while I think that Game Freak could easily get away in releasing gen 7 on the 3DS, I think that they will just move onto the NX.

Man, screw Articuno in the Battle Maison.

-Rock Slide misses Articuno.
-Articuno hits with Sheer Cold 3 times in a row.
-I lose streak at 47 wins :(

That's the battle Maison/Frontier/subway/towers for ya, the higher the rank you climb the more likely the AI resort to cheap hax wins.

I remember that, that was funny.

Watch Da Birdie

I don't know, I could easily see them stretching that "one badge" much longer when all is said and done.

I remember Diamond and Pearl really stretched out the end with Platinum and Heart Gold and Soul Silver stuff---the latter which I found to be probably one of the most transparent marketing stunts in the entire series run with the N.E. Pichu bullshit, and the random Johto Festival. I sort of respect XY for not making the ORAS advertising as obvious as that was, going for a bit more subtlety and using the Mega Evolution specials to mainly serve that purpose instead of the actual show. The most flagrant element is really Shota, but he's a pretty cool dude so I can't complain.

ash_ag

And the anime's state doesn't really matter tbh, they can just make up another endless filler arc if they want to.
I don't know, I could easily see them stretching that "one badge" much longer when all is said and done.

This is definitely true. It would be easy enough to pull a slightly more stretched Decolore Islands-esque arc too, especially if XY&Z is to be compared with Best Wishes Season 2.

Guess I'm simply assuming they couldn't have possibly rushed to this point if there are two more years of XY, only to follow with an endless filler arc. Granted, with history being indication, one might as well claim they could. :p

jnWake

Sometimes I think it'd be cool if Game Freak made every battle with a Trainer like in the Stadium Games, everyone using the same amount of Pokemon (or less for the player if the only want to use 1 Pokemon), and change the game a bit to reflect that. If you lose to a Trainer you black out, but your Team is healed between each fight automatically, but of course the average Trainer would be tougher to accommodate this. Not sure how they'd handle that deal with Wild Pokemon, so it might be more fitting for a Colosseum-type spin-off where there's basically only Trainers.
Issue with that system is that it'd be very very luck based. Say, you find a trainer that only owns a Garchomp and you're forced to pick one Pokemon. There's a very high chance you'll lose the battle unless you luck out and pick something fast with an Ice move.

It's the issue I had with Sky Battles were I kept wiping because my random Pokémon were no match or some of the stuff the Sky Trainers had. The one with Rotom was major bullshit, as was the one with Emolga.

aceloop

Neo Member
3DS has been pretty dry this year imo, I need that next main pokemon game fix.

Its like Nintendo doesnt want money.

Mr-Joker

Banned
By the way where do we stand with the new region hint that the backpacker in X and Y teased about?

Originally I felt that Pokémon Z would be set in a new region but after seeing that the Animé is dealing with Zygarde in Kalos is making me think otherwise.

Damn it Game Freak what are you cooking up for Pokémon Z.

Issue with that system is that it'd be very very luck based. Say, you find a trainer that only owns a Garchomp and you're forced to pick one Pokemon. There's a very high chance you'll lose the battle unless you luck out and pick something fast with an Ice move.

It's the issue I had with Sky Battles were I kept wiping because my random Pokémon were no match or some of the stuff the Sky Trainers had. The one with Rotom was major bullshit, as was the one with Emolga.

Yeah Sky battles were garbage, as they felt limiting since only a select type of Pokémon could do it.

GoldStarz

Yeah Sky battles were garbage, as they felt limiting since only a select type of Pokémon could do it.

I can't believe they put more effort into scattering Sky Battles in the overworld and just completely abandoned Triple Battles and Rotation Battles to multiplayer and the Battle Maison.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I can't believe they put more effort into scattering Sky Battles in the overworld and just completely abandoned Triple Battles and Rotation Battles to multiplayer and the Battle Maison.

That's Game Freak for ya, they giveth and they taketh away.

Watch Sky Battle to be dropped in gen 7, I mean after all it wasn't in the Hoenn remake. Just hope that they fix some of the flying Pokémon model, some just bad with them just gliding still on the spot.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Is it crazy to think it would be cool if there was a system where a pokemon would get the stat upgrades of evolving while keeping the previous form? The most famous example of this would be Ash's pikachu never evolving into a raichu yet still being powerful enough to go up against higher tier pokemon. I love so many pre-evolved versions of pokemon, it always makes me sad to evolve them into bigger, dumber looking pokemon. Like I'd love to get the stats of a dragonite on a dratini. That'd be my version of Ash's pikachu.

GoldStarz

That's Game Freak for ya, they giveth and they taketh away.

Watch Sky Battle to be dropped in gen 7, I mean after all it wasn't in the Hoenn remake. Just hope that they fix some of the flying Pokémon model, some just bad with them just gliding still on the spot.

don't worry, they'll do the same with sky battles (if it even returns)

Yeah I know, maybe we'll get lucky and eventually triple battles will get reintroduced at some point (even though I love them, rotation battles were always kinda gimmicky). I at least hope horde battles stick around because that was an interesting concept.

Chase17

I asked this in the amiibo thread and haven't gotten a response so I figured I'd post it here just in case. Does anyone know if the Mewtwo amiibo will be available on Amazon (in US)? I'm pretty sure it comes out soon and would love to pick one up. Going hunting at stores isn't really an option for me.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Yeah I know, maybe we'll get lucky and eventually triple battles will get reintroduced at some point (even though I love them, rotation battles were always kinda gimmicky). I at least hope horde battles stick around because that was an interesting concept.

I think horde battle is going to be a series staple since it was in the Hoenn remake and it's helps with EV training.

As for triple battles getting reintroduced, that will probably happen for the gen 5 remake, though it will be interesting to see how they do that.

Top Bottom