• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Damn I'm not gonna be able to watch it live.

Someone PM me the Youtube link so I can watch it without being spoiled.

Must be something Pokemon related. And it was in Japanese too. Maybe an unreleased spinoff...?

Or a Pokken update or something minor.

Hmm...

Billyman

Neo Member
OHHH GOD.

MASUDA KNOWS THAT WE'RE ANTICIPATING Z AFTER ALL THESE MONTHS, HE WOULDN'T LEAD US ON LIKE THIS. THAT WOULD BE REALLY MESSED UP. I'M BETTING MY ACCOUNT THAT WE'RE GETTING Z UNVEILED TOMORROW!!!! GET HYPE BOYS!!

Not really betting my account though

Here's an example of some fun stuff you can do with Homebrew Launcher on 3DS:
http://imgur.com/a/lEV7f

This is a model hack for ORAS I discovered the other day that replaces May with Kris from Pokemon Crystal as a playable character!(made by Shadowth117) A homebrew app called HANS allows you to apply game mods of all kinds to any retail/eshop games you own. Alongside the Kris mod I'm using is the recently released difficulty mod for ORAS called Rising Ruby / Sinking Sapphire. This was made by Drayano60 who's also responsible for similar hacks for Gen 3, 4, & 5 games (FireRed Omega, Sacred Gold/Storm Silver, Blaze Black/Volt White (2)).

It takes a little while to set this up, but I like the results.

---
Masuda news sounds great, I hope we get an announcement, the teasing is killing me.

Hegarol

Whats the correlation in the past for a Masuda tweet and a Pokemon announcement in a Nintendo direct? Does he only mentions it if there is something related to the main games or does he also do it if something regarding the franchise in generell comes up?

Trey

I was playing through platinum just to do it today and I get to the Lost Tower. I have eevee in the lead spot because I'm switch training it. I come across a gastly and I attempt to run but I can't escape. Then the fucker mean looks me. Eevee only has tackle and quick attack as damaging moves, mind you. So now I'm staring down the barrell of a lengthy struggle because I haven't saved in over an hour. The purple gasball almost had me, its shit eating grin vexing my soul. I start chucking poke balls at it, and I finally catch it to cut the nightmare thankfully short.

Moral of the story kids: save often, and don't let those ghosts catch you lacking.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
M6wpBVV.jpg

Holy shit that was a really cute episode. And easily my favorite Joy representation.

Also

IT WAS ALL A LIE, PYROAR IS SCAR NOT MUFASA

and Ash gonna get Litleo?

ash_ag

I guess there's a fair chance Masuda's tweet may signify the announcement of a new Game Freak game, and my Gen 7 = 2016 theory may be thrown out of the window. If that's indeed the case, it will be interesting to see how they address all those issues created by Gen 6 staying active until 2017. We've discussed the possibility of a new region, as hinted by the Backpacker, but I also hope they tweak certain technical and design aspects. BW made a big jump from DP in numerous ways, in spite of being on the same system.

I currently take "Please note that the presentation will not feature any updates on [...] mobile" to not be in respect to just the DeNA collaboration, meaning Pokémon GO information are logically not going to be shared. But for all we know, a GO Plus update could make way for GO news from TPC's channels. Also wonder if anything related to the 20th Anniversary will be touched.

Tonight's gonna be interesting!

Weebos

Banned
Here's an example of some fun stuff you can do with Homebrew Launcher on 3DS:
http://imgur.com/a/lEV7f

This is a model hack for ORAS I discovered the other day that replaces May with Kris from Pokemon Crystal as a playable character!(made by Shadowth117) A homebrew app called HANS allows you to apply game mods of all kinds to any retail/eshop games you own. Alongside the Kris mod I'm using is the recently released difficulty mod for ORAS called Rising Ruby / Sinking Sapphire. This was made by Drayano60 who's also responsible for similar hacks for Gen 3, 4, & 5 games (FireRed Omega, Sacred Gold/Storm Silver, Blaze Black/Volt White (2)).

It takes a little while to set this up, but I like the results.

---
Masuda news sounds great, I hope we get an announcement, the teasing is killing me.

Man, I didn't know Drayano was still making hacks, his previous ones are great.

I doubt I'm going to mess with 3DS to enable homebrew though.

Oh boy, didn't know that there was more info on people designing Pokemon. Will have to go through each designer's page and update my running list soon...

Watch Da Birdie

My prediction: The Pokémon game they're going to be talking about tonight is Mystery Dungeon.

:V

Doubt it. I could see the US/UK Direct talking about them, but no way would Masuda draw attention to that since they're out in Japan already.

Again, I'd be surprised (and thrilled!) if Masuda's tweet meant that we're seeing Z tonight. He seems to be having more of a presence with the spin-offs lately- he was there for the GO reveal, and didn't he introduce the Wii U edition of Pokkén at Worlds?

As ever, expect no shocks and feel no sadness.

Boss Doggie

Oh boy, didn't know that there was more info on people designing Pokemon. Will have to go through each designer's page and update my running list soon...

People link on Bulbapedia but actually from what I heard most of those are guest work outside a few. We do know James Turner's contribution in Gen V though, as well as Pikachu's designer.

In fact, people think Sugimori designs Pokemon when in fact it's a bunch of other people and he just draws them in a unified style.

Billyman

Neo Member
Go won't be talked about since they confirmed no moble games will be discussed. Mystery Dungeon came out in Japan already and Pokken is technically already out there. I doubt Masuda would draw any attention to Pokken for Wii U since it's doing so poorly in the arcades. That only leaves XZ/YZ to be revealed, or a new Pokemon Trozei for Wii U.

I'd say we've got an 80% chance that XZ/YZ will be revealed :D

Boss Doggie

Go won't be talked about since they confirmed no moble games will be discussed. Mystery Dungeon came out in Japan already and Pokken is technically already out there. I doubt Masuda would draw any attention to Pokken for Wii U since it's doing so poorly in the arcades. That only leaves XZ/YZ to be revealed, or a new Pokemon Trozei for Wii U.

nice meme

For those who don't know, I keep track of Pokemon design contributors in this post.

People link on Bulbapedia but actually from what I heard most of those are guest work outside a few. We do know James Turner's contribution in Gen V though, as well as Pikachu's designer.

In fact, people think Sugimori designs Pokemon when in fact it's a bunch of other people and he just draws them in a unified style.
I try to follow through to an original source if possible - it's hard to find some out sometimes :(

... Looking at my original post, I already have Ariga's contribs (mentioned on one of his deviantArt pages), lucky~

JoeM86

Pokkén did poorly in one arcade. It's one of the top arcade games in Japan.

Both XY and ORAS had monthly updates and information... none of which were even covered in any Direct. XY were featured in the E3 Direct, and there were two Pokémon Directs in 2013- one for the reveal, and one for the announcement of Pokémon Bank and the Kanto Megas. ORAS had a trailer in the 2014 E3 Digital Event, and that was it- admittedly last year was a relatively quiet year for Directs, but it was still notable by its absence. Between these facts and the fact that a Coro Coro scheduled to release after the Direct has leaked with no significant news, I'd be surprised (and delighted!) to hear about any Z news tomorrow.

TPCi have their own methods of curating a Pokémon game's announcement, build-up and release, and they don't tend to go for the Direct method, by and large.

Kind of.

Black 2 & White 2 featured in a Direct in June 2012. Pokémon Bank in the December 2013 one where it revealed Celebi.

It's a bit odd.

Watch Da Birdie

With a new game possibly, on the horizon here's my wish-list/speculation for "Z".

Pokemon ZX and ZY

A sequel game like B2/W2 taking place a few years after XY. Lysandre was right, and the overpopulation of humanity has lead to various issues in the Kalos region such as the poor protesting against the rich in Lumiose City, and an environmental crisis as a tanker crash resulted in oil polluting the Kalos western coast causing the evacuation of Cyllage City and Ambrette Town. So, you know, Zygarde is PISSED. Also Malva returns as the new leader of Team Flare following in the footsteps of Lysandre.

You live in Kiloude. At beginning of game you have a vision of a Kalos Starter, and rescue it. You head to Lumiose, and Sycamore suggests going on a journey with it, giving you PokeBalls and the PokeDex, but suggests it might be best to leave it at Pokemon Village and you head towards Snowbelle to meet Wulfric. Ultimately, the Kalos Starter wishes to stay with you, and later on you bond with it and "create" its Mega Stone as the Kalos Starters would each have a Mega Evolution. Instead of getting a Kanto Starter, at the end of the game there's a quest to get all three + Mega Stones.

Gym Leader route is now Santalune (Viola), Snowbelle (Wulfric), Anistar (Olympia),due to a new route between Anistar and Lumiose as Route 17 would be blocked next is Laverre (Valerie), then you head towards top-east Kalos in an area based around the Jura Mountain Range with a Flying Gym Leader, Fire Gym Leader, and Water Gym Leader. You make your way back to Lumiose where Tierno is now a Fighting-type Gym Leader with Hawlucha.

Elite Four is now Grant, Wikstrom, Drasna, and Clemont, Malva having gone to Team Flare and Siebold retired to go back to being a cook. Korrina is the Champ, and uses Mega Lucario but doesn't specialize on Fighting-type Pokemon exclusively anymore.

You obtain Zygarde Core, "Squishy", early on near Anistar, blue in ZX and red in ZY, who acts like a Key Item but you can interact with in Pokemon-Amie. Later on he can evolve into Zygarde 10%, "Doggie", who you can ride on like a bike/Skiddo anywhere almost, and can add to your team if you wish as a usable Pokemon, although he's always with you---I'm thinking you still have to visit a Pokemon Center to add him to your team though so you don't have 7 Pokemon. Near the end of the game back around Terminus, Lysandre returns, fuses the two Zygarde Core together to create Perfect Zygarde, and goes JRPG and fuses with them into some god. Must fight it, and afterwards, Squishy appears as Zygarde 50%. You're basically given the chance to capture him as he won't attack you, will revive if killed, has a low catch-rate, and you're given PokeBalls if you run out. Once you catch him, he's yours, and you can switch him between Doggie and 50% at PokeCenters to add him to your team, but you can always still play with Squishy in Amie and ride on Doggie. Later, you must catch the other Zygarde which is far harder, and once you do, you can fuse them somehow (don't know how they'd handle this stat wise) to use Complete Zygarde.

Post-Game has "Episode M", the 20th Anniversary tribute. Mewtwo was the one who sent you the vision of the injured Kalos Starter at the beginning, and wants you to find him. One of the Legendary Birds appear, based on your Starter, and you can capture it and soar on it to new locations, such as Kiloude and Coumarine, but at first it takes you to a secret island where Mewtwo lives. There's some scientists (I'm thinking funded by Devon who ORAS depicted as being shady) after it, and you must go through a lengthy dungeon fighting them to find Mewtwo, and then catch and defeat him. Afterwards you find a new "Mewtwonite Z" and he could have a new Mega for Z, possibly Psychic/Fairy? Afterwards, you spot Mew who had been watching you the whole time, who can then be found randomly around Kalos as a random encounter and will flee, like Deoxys a classic Event Pokemon found in-game.

There'd be a host of new Mega Evolutions, including the Kalos Starters. I really think despite its appearance, "Ash-Greninja" is gonna end up simply being Mega Greninja in the games, and Chesnaught and Delphox will also get Megas, like Greninja perhaps adding more "humanoid" elements. You can re-challenge Gym Leaders and the Elite Four, who will all have their own Mega now such as Grant using Mega Aerodactyl. Some new Megas I'd like to see are Mega Masquerain for Viola (now Bug/Water!), Mega Luxray for Clemont, and him using a Luxray in the Elite Four like in the show, and Mega Hawlucha for Tierno since it's pretty popular and it'd be neat.

There'd be an anime cameo from Alan, who ORAS hinted at existing, but he wouldn't necessarily be the same one from the show. You'd encounter him during the main adventure where he'd test you with Mega Charizard X or Y depending on the version, but in the post-game he'd appear in three locations throughout Kalos. Each time you fight him, he'd use the three Kanto Starters, and one of them would Mega Evolve---after beating him, he'd give you a Kanto Starter + Mega Stone and ask you to find him again. If you picked Chespin, you'd first fight Mega Blastoise, then you'd fight Mega Venusaur, and finally Mega Charizard, and just adjust that one over based on the Kalos Starter, going from strong, to neutral, to weak. Each time his Pokemon would be higher leveled. After beating him all three times, he could be challenged as the hardest fight in the game with his Pokemon all Level 80+---he'd use the Kanto Starters, plus Gyrados, Arcanine, and Exeggutor, the latter two who'd have new Mega Evolutions, and he'd randomly use one Mega each fight.

Maison returns unchanged, as does the Battle Chateau in the post-game, but more characters will appear such as the Hoenn Gym Leaders. The highest ranking member is now Shauna. There's also a "Super Restaurant" in Lumiose owned by Siebold, which acts like the Battle Factory and you're given a team of rental Pokemon, and can switch between each fight---you use money to decide the strength of your Pokemon. The Tower of Mastery is now a "Battle Tower", focused on 3-vs-3 single battles as you make your way to the top to fight Gurkin, and you must beat 50 opponents in a row. After beating him, you unlock the Reverse Tower hidden on the underside, where you must beat 50 opponents again however this time, it uses the rules of an Inverse Battle.

That's just some general ideas.

Kinokou

Genwunners are having the biggest boners right now

Maybe.

As I said in the Direct thread I'm a bit on the fence. I want full 3d remakes, as I'm worried about something staying to true to the originals in terms of gameplay mechanics will be a huge turn off. I also want the Pokemon I train to be compatible with my other games, so I hope there will at least be a Pokemon Bank transfer option, it can even be one way only and locked away until after the E4.

Oswen

I also want the Pokemon I train to be compatible with my other games, so I hope there will at least be a Pokemon Bank transfer option, it can even be one way only and locked away until after the E4.

Doubtful, Gen I-II had different IVs, no abilities etc, they'd probably have to rework them alot to make it work.

Kinokou

Doubtful, Gen I-II had different IVs, no abilities etc, they'd probably have to rework them alot to make it work.

I don't see why they wouldn't work out those problems, it's no secret to Nintendo when the anniversaries are. Abilities doesn't even have to be overt until you transfer, if I remember right you could get a new ability on Pokemon transferred from FireRed LeafGreen onto some DS titles.

Kinokou

They could do it with a bank like app very easily. The question is...why.

I guess seeing your Pokemon appearing in glorious 3D has lost its original Stadium appeal after XY, so the real answer is so we can rub the stomachs of our champion monsters and feed them pokepuffs until they burst and love us in a whole new way and then take sparkling selfies with them in the contest mode.

I'm happy with that Red/Blue announcement. I'm not expecting anything to make me want to get Z as soon as possible anyways, if XY and ORAS were any indication.

Firestorm

I don't see why they wouldn't work out those problems, it's no secret to Nintendo when the anniversaries are. Abilities doesn't even have to be overt until you transfer, if I remember right you could get a new ability on Pokemon transferred from FireRed LeafGreen onto some DS titles.
the data structure is completely different in RBY. Gen 3 was a complete re-write. Don't expect compatibility. I also wouldn't want compatibility as I want to play RBY and not a remake. If I wanted a remake, FRLG exists.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
the data structure is completely different in RBY. Gen 3 was a complete re-write. Don't expect compatibility. I also wouldn't want compatibility as I want to play RBY and not a remake. If I wanted a remake, FRLG exists.

If these do well though I kinda want GSC remakes as well, and those six games better have compatibility.

Firestorm

GSC was a bit long for me and I don't have quite the same nostalgia for it so I probably wouldn't get that and stick to HGSS. Agreed that I would really hope for compatibility and I think it would have that if they hacked the link cable functionality to work over wireless on 3DS.

Daemul

what_i_expected_arrested_development.gif

At least they aren't another set of remakes, that would have made me jump off a cliff. Don't see how anyone who has kept up with the series up till now will find RBY VC remotely playable tbh.

Weebos

Banned
Cool VC announcement, will be fun to poke around in there from time to time.

Also happy because it probably means we're not getting gen 1 remakes for awhile, those can wait.

Boss Doggie

Eh let them have their fun, it's more cash for fuel.

Speaking of cash, what's the theme that comes with if you pre-purchase Super MD?

Top Bottom