• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

ash_ag

"Ash Greninja" may be anime exclusive, but the concept behind it probably isn't.

Besides, we shouldn't assume. Seriously. It doesn't say in Pokémon Fan that it is anime exclusive. Until it does, we should not assume.

It does say we "won't be able to see [Ash-Greninja] outside the anime". It's a bit of a stretch to say this doesn't imply it to be exclusive to the anime. Maybe wording is supposed to be deliberately deceptive (or the author is potentially misinformed by the producers), but that would be an assumption.

The concept isn't necessarily anime-exclusive, of course. I could see it as a means to freshening the metagame, particularly in the scenario of Gen 6 continuing with another game.

Busaiku

I decided not to buy Yokai Watch for a number of reasons, but one of them is the fact that all the Yokai speak human.
Them I realized that Pokémon is actually one of the few monster collection games, at least the bigger ones (cause I dunno about all the junk on phones) that has unique speech for the monsters.

JoeM86

It does say we "won't be able to see [Ash-Greninja] outside the anime". It's a bit of a stretch to say this doesn't imply it to be exclusive to the anime. Maybe wording is supposed to be deliberately deceptive (or the author is potentially misinformed by the producers), but that would be an assumption.

The concept isn't necessarily anime-exclusive, of course. I could see it as a means to freshening the metagame, particularly in the scenario of Gen 6 continuing with another game.

Having looked at the wording, it is a bit ambiguous. It could easily mean won't be able to see it outside the anime at this time.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I decided not to buy Yokai Watch for a number of reasons, but one of them is the fact that all the Yokai speak human.
Them I realized that Pokémon is actually one of the few monster collection games, at least the bigger ones (cause I dunno about all the junk on phones) that has unique speech for the monsters.

I am still on the fence about Yo-kai watch and when the demo release in Europe I will use that to decided.

May I ask how do you feel about Digimon, because while they have been shown to speak human there are some Digimon that are wild and incapable of talking.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I don't know who I'm gonna use for Super Mystery Dungeon...

My two favorite Starters, Tepig and Turtwig?
Or should I give the XY ones a chance and use Chespin and Froakie?
But I also kind of want to use a Kanto and Hoenn dude so I can have Mega Pokemon.

It seems weird to dislike Yokai Watch because they speak human. The Yokai are more spiritual creatures than "animals" so I didn't find it odd at all, especially as many of them are human-like anyway.

I think you're doing yourself a disservice by not checking it out. It's a really fun game.

Speaking of Super Mystery Dungeon, was there an OT for that? The game comes out (in the US) in a few hours.

I think I've decided I'm going to try the quiz, but if I hate the result I'm just going to go with Totodile.

Daemul

Tbh it's always bothered me that Pokemon can understand human speak fluently yet most of them can't speak it, it makes no sense and it's an unnecessary barrier. The only reason why it's probably like this is, in the anime at least, is because the show runners don't want to spend more money on VA's.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Tbh it's always bothered me that Pokemon can understand human speak fluently yet most of them can't speak it, it makes no sense and it's an unnecessary barrier. The only reason why it's probably like this is, in the anime at least, is because the show runners don't want to spend more money on VA's.

Think of it as a dog understanding human speech, except in this case this dog can breath fire out of its mouth.

Watch Da Birdie

The arc in Best Wishes where Meowth joined was interesting because of this, and I kind of wish if Team Rocket was ever dropped from the show, he'd stay and join with Ash for real to serve as that role to help flesh out the Pokemon.

Actually, the show has flip-flopped on that first point---there are a few episodes where they act like Pokemon can't understand humans, like one Johto filler where Misty asks Meowth to translate her words for the Pokemon.

Welp I just realized that Eternal Flower Floette not only has different stats than normal Floette, but actually has an arguably better stat distribution than Florges...

I'm really hoping we get this thing in Z or whatever it ends up being.

Chase17

I wonder when reviews will be coming out for mystery dungeon. Kind of odd not to see any yet (not that they will impact my decision to get the game, just curious).

Corginand

Eshop says Mystery Dungeon is releasing at midnight EDT. Do they mean EST? I remember getting ORAS at around 10pm (GMT -7) and it was November 21, but EDT release would mean less than an hour from now. Timezones are confusing.

Chase17

I could be wrong but EDT is EST -1. Because daylight savings are not in effect EDT is not currently used. Anyways EDT is GMT-6 and EST is GMT-5.

I think people use EST and EDT interchangeably for the most part though.

Corginand

My preloaded copy isn't activating, so it was EST. Oh well, dinner time while I decide which 2 pokemon I'll choose.

Blue Rescue Team was my first DS game, this will bring back some memories.

TrickRoom

I've always wondered about whether I would've preferred it if Pokemon could talk to humans like Digimon or that one manga. It was only until HgSs's walking feature and Twitch Plays Pokemon did I understand its merits in conservation of detail.

I say this as I wait excitedly for that one Pokemon game where you get to hear what all of the monsters have to say, and talk to them back...

Watch Da Birdie

30 minutes away and I still haven't decided on a Starter...

Seems like going with someone who can use Ice attacks might be important because of that one boss.

I so wish they added non-Starter Pokemon, loved playing as Machop and Phanpy in the older games. There's so many non-Starter 3-stage Pokemon Generation V introduced who would be perfect like Lillipup, Sandile, Timburr, and Gothita, plus some Generation VI Pokemon like Pangoro and Litleo also seem ace.

Chase17

Yeah it would have been great to have some more non starters. I mean riolu got thrown in there at least. The power of lucario continues.

Corginand

I so wish they added non-Starter Pokemon, loved playing as Machop and Phanpy in the older games. There's so many non-Starter 3-stage Pokemon Generation V introduced who would be perfect like Lillipup, Sandile, Timburr, and Gothita, plus some Generation VI Pokemon like Pangoro and Litleo also seem ace.

If Pancham/Pangoro was an option, I'd pick it without a doubt.

I think I'll pick Totodile and choose a fire type as my partner, probably Cyndaquil. Haven't decided yet.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah it would have been great to have some more non starters. I mean riolu got thrown in there at least. The power of lucario continues.

Probably giving us more Pokemon who could become Mega would be neat as well---Snover, Numel, Buneary, Ralts, Mareep, Electrike, and Aron seem like they'd fit.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
X5hOeF2.jpg

Anime has "Character Song Project", with Vol. 1 coming in January with the three revealed songs (well 4, but one is a karaoke version of the first song). Ash's song is XY&Z (the opening), Bonnie and Squishy is Squishy's Song (the ending), and Team Rocket's song is Team Rocket's Stuff.

I wonder what the other three songs are about - Clemont and Serena already got their songs (Kirakira and Dori Dori respectively, one being an insert song and the other being an old ED), so I wonder if they'll be counted.

why are all the pokemon in there final evolved forms, that is really throwing me off

Not all of them. Frogadier is a Froakie. I guess Jessie's Gourgeist is a Pumpkaboo and James's Inkay is a Malamar.

And it's a dream world Darkrai put them into.

I don't see how that's weird. I mean do you complain about Groot? :p

Not all of them. Frogadier is a Froakie. I guess Jessie's Gourgeist is a Pumpkaboo and James's Inkay is a Malamar.

And it's a dream world Darkrai put them into.

thanks doggie i'm interested in how that episode plays out tho i ready need to set some time aside to play catch up one day

Battlechili

Banned
Is there going to be a thread specifically for Super Mystery Dungeon or will it all just go in here? I'm really hyped now that its coming out.

Chase17

I think I was able to play as psyduck in the first mystery dungeon, which was great since I love psyduck.

I'll probably have to hold off until after this weekend to start but I'm looking forward to see what people think of the game.

JoeM86

Is there going to be a thread specifically for Super Mystery Dungeon or will it all just go in here? I'm really hyped now that its coming out.

There should be a thread.

Should I make it, or has someone else? I'd prefer someone else so that certain resources could be linked to since I'm not allowed to do it, but I'd happily do it otherwise.

I'm on the fence towards PSMD, and apparently the review copies are coming in late so I'm depending on all your impressions as to whether I should take the plunge.

Battlechili

Banned
I'm on the fence towards PSMD, and apparently the review copies are coming in late so I'm depending on all your impressions as to whether I should take the plunge.
Well....I haven't played Super Mystery Dungeon yet, PMD games are almost always great, and Super Mystery Dungeon in particular is adding a lot of neat features. I wouldn't be out of the line to expect it to be good.
Copy/paste from what I've seen elsewhere:

New features:
-All 720 Pokémon that were officially revealed at the time are present in the game.
-Accessories are now visible on both the player and partner in the overworld and in dungeons.
-As the first entry in the series released during Generation VI, it introduces Mega Evolution and the Fairy type to the series.
-Mega Evolution allows Pokémon to become more powerful, attack multiple enemies, and break down walls.
-The Progress Device allows players to save inside of dungeons.
-Wands, items that can be used multiple times, are introduced.
-The Connection Orb replaces the bulletin boards as the interface for taking jobs. -By completing jobs, clients become friends and connections to more Pokémon appear.
-In addition to returning stores, stores called Hawlucha's Slam School, Café Connection, Klefki's Rockin' Lock, (Japanese: ニャースシアター Meowth Theater), and (Japanese: ラプラス大陸便 Lapras Intercontinental Travel) are available.
-When all team members surround an enemy Pokémon, called an Alliance, moves that would normally be not very effective ignore type matchups.
-Items called looplets and emeras are introduced. By putting emeras into a held looplet, Pokémon can be powered up. Any emera obtained in a dungeon disappear when leaving it.
-A (Japanese: ジュークボックス jukebox) feature allows players to listen to music from the games and even previous titles in the series.

Returning features:
-The Deposit Box once again replaces Kangaskhan Storage.
-The Belly mechanic makes a return.
-The personality test that featured in the first two installments returns; however, it is optional.

I can however personally confirm that the soundtrack is fantastic.

JoeM86

Well....I haven't played Super Mystery Dungeon yet, PMD games are almost always great, and Super Mystery Dungeon in particular is adding a lot of neat features. I wouldn't be out of the line to expect it to be good.
Copy/paste from what I've seen elsewhere:

New features:
-All 720 Pokémon that were officially revealed at the time are present in the game.
-Accessories are now visible on both the player and partner in the overworld and in dungeons.
-As the first entry in the series released during Generation VI, it introduces Mega Evolution and the Fairy type to the series.
-Mega Evolution allows Pokémon to become more powerful, attack multiple enemies, and break down walls.
-The Progress Device allows players to save inside of dungeons.
-Wands, items that can be used multiple times, are introduced.
-The Connection Orb replaces the bulletin boards as the interface for taking jobs. -By completing jobs, clients become friends and connections to more Pokémon appear.
-In addition to returning stores, stores called Hawlucha's Slam School, Café Connection, Klefki's Rockin' Lock, (Japanese: ニャースシアター Meowth Theater), and (Japanese: ラプラス大陸便 Lapras Intercontinental Travel) are available.
-When all team members surround an enemy Pokémon, called an Alliance, moves that would normally be not very effective ignore type matchups.
-Items called looplets and emeras are introduced. By putting emeras into a held looplet, Pokémon can be powered up. Any emera obtained in a dungeon disappear when leaving it.
-A (Japanese: ジュークボックス jukebox) feature allows players to listen to music from the games and even previous titles in the series.

Returning features:
-The Deposit Box once again replaces Kangaskhan Storage.
-The Belly mechanic makes a return.
-The personality test that featured in the first two installments returns; however, it is optional.

I can however personally confirm that the soundtrack is fantastic.

Wherever you copy/pasted from seriously needs to check their facts. Jukebox isn't a new feature. It was in Gates and it was in Explorers of the Sky :p Accessories are also not visible on the Pokémon except for the one story focused one on your starter and partner for a duration in the game. Wands are also one-use only, not being able to be used multiple times. You can just get a crapload of them.

I question whether that place has even played the game :/

I have played this game and it's definitely a solid title. Up there with Explorers. Still has annoying mechanics, granted, but it's solid.

Wherever you copy/pasted from seriously needs to check their facts. Jukebox isn't a new feature. It was in Gates and it was in Explorers of the Sky :p Accessories are also not visible on the Pokémon except for the one story focused one on your starter and partner for a duration in the game. Wands are also one-use only, not being able to be used multiple times. You can just get a crapload of them.

I question whether that place has even played the game :/

I have played this game and it's definitely a solid title. Up there with Explorers. Still has annoying mechanics, granted, but it's solid.
I just started last night, but the bolded statement is untrue. Wands show how many uses they have when you pick them up.

JoeM86

I just started last night, but the bolded statement is untrue. Wands show how many uses they have when you pick them up.

I took that to mean the quantity of the wand because it's displayed the same way as the Geodude Pebble etc.

This is especially true as you can deposit x amounts of the wand and withdraw x amount and it's added to that value, and it doesn't really make sense if the number is times it can be used.

JoeM86

how does mega evolution work in the new dungeon game? you still can't evolve during the main story right?

You can't evolve your Pokémon until the postgame

Mega Evolution works once you get the Looplets and can find Emera. If you find an Awakening Emera (may be called something else in English), attach it to the Looplet that is attached to your Pokémon and it will Mega Evolve if it can. If it can't, it gets similar boosts anyway such as being able to inflict massive damage. It only lasts for a short while.

Watch Da Birdie

Super M.D. is pretty fun so far.

Went with the personality test and was pleased to see I ended up with my favorite Starter of all time, Turtwig. Made Tepig my Partner, since he's my second favorite Starter,and I'm glad I did because the Partner's personality fits him so well---it also hits way close to home as I was *that* kid in school too. :(

Still at the early game part where it's basically a tutorial, but the game doesn't pull punches, the Drilbur Mine was filled with close calls due to all the Fire-type Pokemon, and I'm surprised how long these early game dungeons are.There's some minor quirks I have---certain words are oddly lowercase such as the status of the dungeon (like "clear" instead of "Clear"), it seems to ask me to save after every little cutscene, and for some reason when you get the "you must" dialouge branches it always defaults to "no" for some reason meaning if you're replaying the game and skipping through the plot quickly you'll get annoyed, but everything else is pretty peachy, wands seems neat and I can see a lot of interesting strategies with the Looplet in later dungeons. Hope I get to the more "open" part of the game soon.

Also Vice Principal Watchog is amazing!

Battlechili

Banned
Back when I played Red Rescue Team, the personality test almost always gave me Charmander.
Wonder what SMD will give me. Part of me is hoping for Fennekin, but it might be nice to be Charmander for nostalgia's sake.
Jukebox isn't a new feature. It was in Gates and it was in Explorers of the Sky :p.
I thought it meant new as in it now features old tracks too. But its possible that there's some false information in there. Perhaps I shouldn't have shared it. I just keep seeing it all over the place.

JoeM86

I thought it meant new as in it now features old tracks too. But its possible that there's some false information in there. Perhaps I shouldn't have shared it. I just keep seeing it all over the place.

Na, I think I know what site it is. The information there is just outdated. Don't worry, not your fault :)

Since there doesn't appear to be for PSMD yet, I'm just going to give out my current thoughts of it here. Of course without spoiling anything vital story-wise.

I actually like the Connection Orb feature since it makes recruiting a whole lot more easier. Once again, you can do up to three(?) jobs in one dungeon, which is good since Gates to Infinity limited itself to one job. I may be in the minority in saying this, but defeating Pokemon and only having a slight chance of recruiting them wasn't very enjoyable for me in previous games, especially when you spent that hard work reaching the end of a dungeon for a legendary.
The game caught me way off guard with it's difficulty. It's harder than the other PMD games and others appear to agree. I've had several near-defeat moments in Drilbur's Mine (it's the second real dungeon after the two tutorial ones and there is already a Fire-type to inflict Burn on you.). Like the other poster said, this game will take no punches. Luckily, Emeras are a very welcoming addition to the game, giving off several bonus effects like moves that shouldn't be effective actually turn out more powerful or even having the chance of making your attack hit twice in one turn.
I'm glad that they brought back leveling up moves from Gates to Infinity, although this "Push" feature this game has is both useful and a bit awkward.

As of now, I've reached the part where you're finally free to do as you like and take care of Connection Orb requests, and overall I'm having a much better time compared to Gates to Infinity, even the characters feel fun to see. If things continue well, I'd say this is comparable to Sky in terms of quality.

Top Bottom