• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread: Gotta Catch 'Em All!

I wonder why HGSS's colours were so garish?

Seriously, compared to DPPt and BW1/2, it's eyemelting.

Pt was even worse, with Gen II-like grass at post-game. I think they started to use much more... lighter tones and desaturated colours starting with BW.

Also, I found this quiz off another site, referred to from another Pokemon forum. I got Snivy. Should I be an adorable Snivy now?

Snivy
Your spirit pokemon is Snivy! Your spirit pokemon has chosen to guide you as you are quite clever and can be cunning, yet you also make a good friend. You may like money and can tend to look down on people. You also may have a calm mind. Snivy will help you get on the good side of people and will help you look at people more equally.

Kokonoe

Banned
It also has my favorite Flareon sprite.
HnUVZ.png

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nah, the desturation started in D/P. In fact I would say those games have the lightest, most pastel-like colorscheme.

Nah, the desturation started in D/P. In fact I would say those games have the lightest, most pastel-like colorscheme.

I've always thought that the Gen III games were just not saturated enough, and DP cranked it up, especially if you had a DS with a higher-quality display with even backlighting, which means the DS Lite and newer. It gets really irritating when you have the brightness at at least 50%. (level 3 on a DSi)

I got Cubone too but there were a lot of dark/ghost or sinister looking Pokemon near the top. What does it mean?

It probably is implying something. Unless it's that cute widdly Zorua.

Does this only happen in pokemon yellow? I'm playing Red (only played blue as a kid) on my GBA and everything is a shade of red/orange.

Red, BLue, and Japanese Green requires Super Game Boy or Pokemon Stadium.

They're just so dated nowadays. :(

That's probably true for competitve battling, but that's something I've never been interested in. I've been playing Red and Silver recently and they hold up pretty well imo. The battles and plot seem to move at a much smoother pace than recent games.

That's probably true for competitve battling, but that's something I've never been interested in. I've been playing Red and Silver recently and they hold up pretty well imo. The battles and plot seem to move at a much smoother pace than recent games.

No, I was referring to the games in general. RBY's UI hurts to use, especially the bag, and the lack of run buttons in both gens hurts. Also, the graphics in RBY are straight up crap. At least this is fixed in Gen II.

I like Gen II, but it's hard to go back to, in this Gen V world. I have moving sprites now, and I can't go back.

No, I was referring to the games in general. RBY's UI hurts to use, especially the bag, and the lack of run buttons in both gens hurts. Also, the graphics in RBY are straight up crap. At least this is fixed in Gen II.

I like Gen II, but it's hard to go back to, in this Gen V world. I have moving sprites now, and I can't go back.

I will admit I have not played gen 5 yet, so all my opinions are void when it comes to that. Yeah the UI in gen 1 was pretty bad, mainly the abyss that was the item bag. Gen 2 made that infinitely more convenient.

I hope to play Black or White soon.

Kokonoe

Banned
I don't like the moving sprites because they use scaling to animate.
wPEbJ.gif

When the very likely chance Pokemon becomes 3D for Gen 6, animation will actually be good.

Can't forget the whole box dilemma on top of that, also the antiquated method of cutting bushes down with a journey through the menu screens.

And being a Snivy should mean that I'll eventually one-shot all of you with Grass moves, along with a healthy helping of Aqua Tail for these Fire types. Hehe.

How can you be so cruel?

wPEbJ.gif

When the very likely chance Pokemon becomes 3D for Gen 6, animation will actually be good.

The amount of scaling used isn't as bad as I was anticipating, to be fair. I think it looks good. Regardless, it makes the battles visually interesting, which the series has never really had before.

wPEbJ.gif
I wouldn't call that scaling alone though - scaling/rotation/deformation and 2-frame animations was what Gen 4 and 3 used for animation. G5's type of animation is much more complex internally than those in comparison. I like the sprites used in this gen, and will miss them in 6 (although I like some of the animations in Dex 3D).

A more interactive of pokemon snap is all i need. something where you can walk around the pokemon world, and discover fully 3d pokemon. being able to capture them would be a nice bonus

Top Bottom