• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Direct June 5th 2019 - 1 PM GMT, 9 AM E.T

Which version will you be getting?

• Pokemon Sword

Votes: 27 55.1%
  • Pokemon Shield

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • n/a

Votes: 7 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Then I would argue that it has less to do with the designs and more the art direction that you have a problem with. Personally I loved the more muted colours and water-colour-esque art direction that the original two games had compared to the 3D and more modern colour pallettes. There are plenty artists who have drawn all new pokemon since gen 2 in the original artstyle and they look like they fit in perfectly.

Saber

Gold Member
I would argue having the same origin animals is okay due to it's ecosystem and new region features. I mean if you really count 'repetitive design' we already had tons of it, but at least not on the same entry.

Not sure this can be used as an argument though. The fact that is repetitive doesn't make them less wrong. They're clearly running out of ideas.

But hey who cares, we got a new ability that is basically Gooey or Tangling Hair with different names. Thats not what I would call something new.

As for fake pokemon artist, please it's not that simple kind of situation. It's even the same thing with official ones, out of millions of garbage fake pokemon designs, only handful of them are truly great and acceptable on mainstream. Even then some of them are too complicated and tone-deaf. It's truly a subjective topic.

Tbh the same can be applied to original mons, but ok lol

Also, I would believe the official artist are truly working hard on creating their designs, their effort is not to be dismissed that easily.

You don't work there and neither me. No one really knows whats happening there and how their work is going. But we can have impressions of whats happening and mine so far is that they aren't really bring any big of deal in general(I mean, theres a big difference in whats new and whats new for the pokemon series). And it's not like I'm saying this 100%, the Corviknight surely is one good design. But Wooloo? My Mareep would like to have a word with it.

Edit: Why did you hate the rotom phone btw?

In my case I would say because Rotom is a piece of shit pokemon that feels like they're licking their boots constantly. I would wish this thing could be nerfed, but the way things are going they probably gonna press through the troat of people.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Allo

I probably should’ve phrased my post a little differently but god damn those designs are simple, great and get the point across. I kinda feel their elements are perfect whereas the newer ones have too much going on in terms of design where they come off more like a toy instead of a creature you might find in the wild in the Pokémon universe. I truly don’t think it’s a nostalgia thing with liking the gen 1-3 designs over the newer stuff. The art (especially in gen 1) is absolutely breath taking and you can see the passion put into it and see it clearly meant something to that artist. I do like a bunch of the newer mons but imo nothing beats the older gens. Nidoking being my favorite 😎
tumblr_ncxtp7dtow1rms5n7o4_1280.png
Pokemon have ALWAYS been designed to be shilled, yet Gen One is always the most pushed in marketing and toys even in present day? Doesn't really make sense to make that statement. The water colour of Sugimori's early designs are great, I think the prime of his artwork was the early 2000s. He's not even the main artist/designer now although Ohmura the dude who took over left Gamefreak and went freelance.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Running out of ideas for Pokemon and yet in real life there's how many breeds of sheep? Hundreds? If you don't like it, don't buy it. 😏

Saber

Gold Member
Running out of ideas for Pokemon and yet in real life there's how many breeds of sheep? Hundreds? If you don't like it, don't buy it. 😏

Are we again running out of excuses with the "if you don't like it, don't buy it"? Feels like I'm in reera. That's old stuff dude, try being more like pokemon and change the name at least.

Something like "You don't need to purchase something that you're not fond of" or "Theres no necessity of spending money in something that you're not appreciating" :messenger_smiling:

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Are we again running out of excuses with the "if you don't like it, don't buy it"? Feels like I'm in reera. That's old stuff dude, try being more like pokemon and change the name at least.

Something like "You don't need to purchase something that you're not fond of" or "Theres no necessity of spending money in something that you're not appreciating" :messenger_smiling:
Why are you mentioning that website? Literally has nothing to do with it. Weird that you know. I'm just giving you some helpful advice after all, if you like Mareep then go play HG/SS, it's not going anywhere. 🤔

Not like the Mareep line deviates entirely from being a sheep into an electric not a dragon though....

Codes 208

With each gen comes the age old argument of pokemon designs.

Each gen has strange and out of place pokemon. May i remind you the existence of a pokemon thats a literal keychain in X/Y?
Or that ice cream cone in B/W?

Saber

Gold Member
Black White is my favorite pokemon of all and the my best gen so far. Even so, its not like avoid of criticism.

Why are you mentioning that website?

Because I feel like already read something like that there.
Like "Hey, it gonna sells anyway"

Literally has nothing to do with it. Weird that you know. I'm just giving you some helpful advice after all, if you like Mareep

Dude theres no need to be so white knight here lmao

But feel free to insert the game name whenever someone dislike a design of pokemon.

Wooloo is cuter don't you get it.

Cute is something that Pokemons have a lot, although it varies from person to person. Not that I'm against it though, different folks different likes.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Dude theres no need to be so white knight here lmao

But feel free to insert the game name whenever someone dislike a design of pokemon.

I don't think you know sarcasm. But Pokemon designs are the LEAST of this games worries. It's okay if you have bad taste though, unfortunately Gamefreak doesn't sell that.

Saber

Gold Member
I don't think you know sarcasm. But Pokemon designs are the LEAST of this games worries. It's okay if you have bad taste though, unfortunately Gamefreak doesn't sell that.

Theres no need to be upset. Its not like what I like or not gonna hurt your feelings. And its not like I said this game gonna be a trash...but you're almost coming closer to post "it gonna sells anyway", which sounds very era like.

As for what Gamefreak does I wouldn't worry if I were you. New gen with new mons are their bread and butter, so they don't need to leave their confort zone.

Lanrutcon

Theres no need to be upset. Its not like what I like or not gonna hurt your feelings. And its not like I said this game gonna be a trash...but you're almost coming closer to post "it gonna sells anyway", which sounds very era like.

You need to get over your creepy obsession with Era.

Barbaracle is one of the most creative Pokemon designs out there, and it's based on a real creature. Look up a goose barnacle sometime.
Internet critics thought Barbaracle was just hands.
"Laziest design ever lmfao! TPC running out of ideas brah!" etc
because there's no low bar for criticism.

usually when I see people talking shit on a Pokemon design I'll look at the design and wonder how that person ever thought that their design criticism is deep or meaningful or worthwhile when they can't even work out obvious design inspirations/justifications for themselves 80% of the time

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I don't know. Can we? You're the one shitting up the thread, buddy.

At least try to be argumentative in...whatever you were doing.

Barbaracle is one of the most creative Pokemon designs out there, and it's based on a real creature.
Internet critic kids thought Barbaracle was just hands. "Laziest design ever lmfao! TPC running out of ideas brah!" etc
because there's no low bar for criticism.

I remember something about its pre evolution. And tbh, its kinda lamish. But Barbaracle isn't a bad looking...well, except for the head.

The point is, theres aways room from criticism because they can't appeal everybody. Which I think its fine. Whats not fine its people hurting themselves because some may not like a certain pokemon.

I like Black/White and even like pokemons like Vaniluxe. But I understand the criticism and even agree to an extend. But its not like I'm 10 years old to say to you to play another game if you dont like Vaniluxe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom