• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go is live on the Google Play Store

Teknoman

hgjyhto68n7x.png

I'm claiming this one after work

I wonder if people are going to start trying to make certain gym spots type focused?

Wait, do you actually have to walk right up to grass rustling? Oh god. I'm definitely gonna end up looking stupid playing this.

A grown up playing pokemon? Did you expect anything different?
Today, I was mocked by my whole office after I explained to them the game... And you know what? Fuck them, I'm going to be the very best.

Kssio_Aug

How can I log in with the Pokemon Club account? It only gives me the option to login with my google account chained to my Android device (wich I made a mistake to not name the trainer correctly).

Ragnaroz

I already have a 171 CP monster prepared for a Gym close to my house. BTW Level up Pokemons is a great idea too.
Two of my closest gyms are in the middle of a fucking cemetary. At least I know where my Ghastly is going. :)

Does this game track your steps if the screen is off or do you have to have it be active every second?
You can turn off the screen, but the phone has to stay unlocked.

MattyG

Banned
How do you get more candies? Seems like you need a ton to evolve, and powering up is just wasting candies?

A grown up playing pokemon? Did you expect anything different?
Today, I was mocked by my whole office after I explained to them the game... And you know what? Fuck them, I'm going to be the very best.
giphy.gif

Platy

Bamboo 竹;209304057 said:
Another fallen country... ;_;

Come on, Niantic. Stop this madness!

The weird thing is that Brazil is not even in the list of supported countries so it is weird to have ANY pokemon here anyway

Restart your phone, same happens to me.

My cellphone does not run it, but I will let my friends know that ! Thanks

Here's my team after day one. I've got control of three gyms, but obviously they won't last. Two of them I challenged for so that's nice.

Also, a Slowpoke was by the lifts in my office and that amused me. So you can see that too.

Setsuna

"This app is incompatible with your device."

Why have you forsaken me LG G3

EDIT: Why have you forsaken America, not even a week after its birthday!

Arrrammis

Man, I feel spoiled work at a college here... the campus and surrounding blocks have 2 gyms and 19 pokespots! I guess it balances out the fact that so far I can only get the most basic pokemon ( normal, flying or bug types, think Rattata, Pidgey, Wurmple). Still, I feel like it's really easy to level them when you can find so many repeats. Also, it looks like the pokespots refresh every 5 minutes or so, so if you're just hanging out near one, you can pick it up multiple times.

Lucifon

I feel like if this wasn't Pokemon the hype would be next to nothing. The novelty of the game wears off super quickly - you're effectively just walking around with the app open and playing a pretty janky "swipe up accuracy" style game and that's mostly it. There's some light algorithms going on as to what Pokemon appears where but nothing too smart - you can literally sit on the toilet for a while (not moving obviously) and something will appear. Just feels very very thin as a 'game'.

I feel like if this wasn't Pokemon the hype would be next to nothing. The novelty of the game wears off super quickly - you're effectively just walking around with the app open and playing a pretty janky "swipe up accuracy" style game and that's mostly it. There's some light algorithms going on as to what Pokemon appears where but nothing too smart - you can literally sit on the toilet for a while (not moving obviously) and something will appear. Just feels very very thin as a 'game'.

What a joyless life you must live.

MattyG

Banned
I swear a pokeball throw was just effected by my fan. It's blowing from my left across to my right. a Tauros appeared, and I was throwing the balls but they were drifting to the right no matter how straight I threw them.

Ragnaroz

That is completely true. But, there are gyms and that's what will make or break this game. If there are plenty of people playing in your area, fighting over gym control will be incredibly interesting.

Lucifon

What a joyless life you must live.

There certainly isn't much joy here, or game for that matter. I think the game could be awesome if it was more like actual pokemon with proper battles etc, but you're effectively playing a skinned swipe up accuracy game with AR and long breaks in-between. There just isn't much to it.

That is completely true. But, there are gyms and that's what will make or break this game. If there are plenty of people playing in your area, fighting over gym control will be incredibly interesting.

This might be the problem for me. I live in a village where there appears to be pretty much nothing surrounding me. There's one landmark near my office but I'm still yet to come across a gym today. The game should really account for this though, not all of us live in cities.

Blunoise

well i just created an AUS account for IOS. Hopefully it wont mess up my saves when i delete this and re download the us one

Where this has a much better chance of lasting longer than Miitomo is Niantic's experience of what releasing an app these days involves - you have to continually evolve it and improve, add new things, and learn from it. You can see on their blog they already have been doing that, adding more elements in rather than considering it 'done' and then only tweaking it after.

You mean Dragonair and not the worst dragon Pokemon in the series, right?

Nahh, all the other dragon pokemon have to growl and snarl to prove their tough shit. Dragonite doesn't have to. He's just a happy lug that you know is powerful. Dragonite is the best. (Goodra is pretty cool to for the same reasons).

Top Bottom