• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

BlackJace

Super jealous of everyone who can play.

I guess I gotta hope it comes to Windows Phone 10 at some point.

I can't even play it on my old android cuz it has an intel processor! Crying rn

adamy

Banned
had fun playing this on my commute but is there any way to have a decent time playing this from home?

incense fucking sucks, at least if you aren't moving. i get like 1 pokemon encounter every 5-7 mins, and it's always a shitty one

maybe ill tie a phone to my dog to hatch some eggs

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh shit, you guys seen this app?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.parse.gochat&hl=en

Apparently it's getting its own servers pounded and barely usable at the moment either. But what a brilliant concept, could instantly help to make the game a bit more social. If you're on the same team around some gyms you could actually kind of coordinate and put in Pokemon of different types or whatever.

Lol the dev responded:
Hey man, jsut for the record I'm only one guy here and to keep the servers up I've spent close to $2,000 in the last 48 hours. The servers are at their max and just passed 150k users. Please understand that it will take a few days to get this sorted and I am doing everything I can to fix this server issue
Poor guy.

massoluk

Banned
This is pretty damn cool. Someone posted on Facebook:

“Guy ‘Yug’ Blomberg has invited you to a Facebook event.” A Pokemon Go walk, with a few friends? Sounds awesome. We’ve got three gyms in the park across the road alone, this should make for a chilled Sunday walk — weather permitting. *clicks attend*

Next minute, thousands of people are attending.
Guy expected 300 attendees, now 12k interested, 4k going.
Then Bam, police is now involved.

PSA: NSW Police are aware of the event and will be monitoring attendance and posts to this page.

All attendees MUST stick to the footpaths and walkways when moving throughout the city, and all NSW road rules must be adhered to.

Please keep in mind that this is a fun event for Poké-fans in Sydney, and for it to be a success will take cooperation and teamwork from everyone... No matter which team you've chosen.

TL;DR: Be Excellent to Each Other.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/07/m...-walk-and-now-thousands-of-people-are-coming/
https://www.facebook.com/events/205243773206046/?active_tab=posts

Skrams

So I've got 15 pokeballs left after barely reaching level 6 with my last pokemon caught. I guess I need to drive to an area with more pokespots to get free balls or something. Walking around with my dog isn't going to cut it.

The power levels on pokemon I'm seeing here seem insane. I caught a Venonat with 128, but haven't powered up anyone. I've got a fuckload of Ratatas though. Coolest thing I seem to have caught was Eevees, Nidorans, and a Pikachu. I turned the app on and just caught a Pinsir too.

I'll also need to find out how the fuck nice, excellent, and curve ball catches work with the ring movement or whatever. Or if there grass effects on the map mean anything at all. Or any fucking way to know what direction to go in to catch this fucking Pidgeotto that is supposed to be around here. It has 2 footsteps under it, but I don't know if that just means it's close or what.

Uh. Are you supposed be losing Pokéballs? I get some whenever I catch Pokemon for some reason so I've been completely smothered in 'em. Have like 200 right now.

WarAdept

Uh. Are you supposed be losing Pokéballs? I get some whenever I catch Pokemon for some reason so I've been completely smothered in 'em. Have like 200 right now.

Just chuck em out. Pokespots give you Great Balls in addition to Pokeballs once you reach Rank 12. Obviously keep a good stash because there will be some (just like in the mainline games) that don't want to stay in the ball.

adamy

Banned

for me my commute passes by so many pokespots in los angeles i've stopped clicking on them

i can get 100 pokeballs in about 5-10 mins?

ramyeon

You get them from Pokespots. I have never got them from catching a Pokemon, don't think that's a thing.

Scyther in the vicinity. Can't leave work to go find it. Story of my life. Least I got another Growlithe. More candy towards Arcanine.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If i do my loop nearby a few times I could stock up easily but earlier today it was down and the spots didn't work while I was riding. I also use a lot of pokeballs on nonsense fights, lol. I don't pay that much attention to the minigame unless it's something I MUST catch.

edit: yeah how do you get pokeballs from catching stuff

Damn it, hit up the dog park tonight and had a Raichu on my radar but was lassoed into a conversation and by the time I was done, the Raichu was gone. :(

Edit: Also saw a lot of people walking around and playing the game. One even asked me about Legendaries lol but I don't know anything about them

This is pretty damn cool. Someone posted on Facebook:

Guy expected 300 attendees, now 12k interested, 4k going.
Then Bam, police is now involved.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/07/m...-walk-and-now-thousands-of-people-are-coming/
https://www.facebook.com/events/205243773206046/?active_tab=posts

4 thousands! Holy shit, TPC and Nintendo must be laughing
while Niantic working their asses off to bring the server together.
Now, ladies and gentlemen, how about release it in Asia and so we can hold some peaceful walks at our cities?

BTW, Nintendo's stock went up 10% in Japan this morning, probably due to Pokemon Go.

Meier

I have been trying to sign in for the first time with my Pokemon Club information and it just will not work. For ages it wouldn't authenticate, but now it just permanently spins like a now loading thing. Should I sign up for a new account with google? Is there any benefit to sticking with my old Pokemon Club account?

wanders

Guys the hype is crazy!!! There's so many people playing at my mall of all ages. All my co workers and workers of other stores are all playing. Sounds corny but it put a smile on my face haha

adamy

Banned
But click anyway because they give Rank XP!

too many to click on while commuting

you get like 4 or 5 right next to each other and you don't time to click on them all before you pass em

speaking of which, is there any ways to battle at gyms while moving? it seems like even if you start a battle in front of the gym, if you start moving too far it drops?

Oh shit, you guys seen this app?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.parse.gochat&hl=en

Apparently it's getting its own servers pounded and barely usable at the moment either. But what a brilliant concept, could instantly help to make the game a bit more social. If you're on the same team around some gyms you could actually kind of coordinate and put in Pokemon of different types or whatever.

Lol the dev responded:

Poor guy.
That's neat. I was wondering why the game didn't have a chat feature like Ingress. It was nice getting advice and help from people in my local area.

My boyfriend and I went out tonight at sunset to find Pokemon and ran into another guy doing the same and then a group of 5 people, one of which I knew, out using the app.

Made a lot of Snapchat friends just for a casual stroll.... Was actually pretty cool.

I haven't been able to log on I over 12 hours with my PTC account, I just get an infinite load screen. I guess there is always tomorrow. Anyone else have issues with this? Or is it just the PTC side of things having the most issues?

I was walking with my girlfriend here in San Diego and saw four couples clearly playing Pokemon Go, everybody looking happy but a little embarrassed.

I didn't care, I wanted my Pokemon. Cool to see Pokemon coming back into the mainstream again!

Meier

I haven't been able to log on I over 12 hours with my PTC account, I just get an infinite load screen. I guess there is always tomorrow. Anyone else have issues with this? Or is it just the PTC side of things having the most issues?

Same boat for me. I suppose I'll just create a new account, but I hate to not have my general user name..

A'ight guys, be fucking honest.

Anyone feel a bit embarrassed walking around with their phones out, standing still swiping at your phone, obviously playing Pokemon? I was playing today at the mall with a group... and I felt a little ashamed. :c

Just walking back from lunch to the office. Saw a young guy looking at his phone.
Thought "haha, dead giveaway". He kept stopping at pokestops.
There was a duduo and a pidgeotto around the corner. I could see what he was chasing.
Get around the corner and there is a crowd of 20 people. All playing PG on their phones. Some of them give me Fight Club style nods. They know what I'm doing there too.
I felt like yelling out "pokeymans is for kids!!1!" at them.
But I couldn't.
I was late for work and I wasn't going to miss out on that pidgeotto too.

Anyone feel a bit embarrassed walking around with their phones out, standing still swiping at your phone, obviously playing Pokemon? I was playing today at the mall with a group... and I felt a little ashamed. :c

Of course not, I'm an adult, I do what I want. Who's judgment makes you uncomfortable and why does it affect you?

WarAdept

What? No way. I whip out my 3DS all the time while I walk through business districts and playing Pokemon go on my commutes to and from work.

dezzy8

I wish I lived in an urban area. I live in the country and its pretty dry and I have to drive everywhere. Feels like I'm missing the best part of the game. Reading about seeing people walking around the same area looking for Pokemon sounds so hilarious.

WarAdept

I wish I lived in an urban area. I live in the country and its pretty dry and I have to drive everywhere. Feels like I'm missing the best part of the game. Reading about seeing people walking around the same area looking for Pokemon sounds so hilarious.

I've never seen anything like it. Young kids to adults, just with their phones out and taking photos/catching stuff in the city. Last night in Sydney was crazy, all the Pokespots were lit up from Lures and so many people were just running around trying to catch something.

And then there's our 4k+ attendance walk on Sunday which police are now monitoring for public safety...

Dunno if it's been addressed yet, but despite picking a male trainer, all my achievements that are gendered use girl (Punk Girl, etc). I'm guessing it's a bug? Anyone else with the same issue?

You play CSGO with a controller, that's shame enough kappa

Well, since PTC is still down, I think I'll just start over with a Google account. Will my PTC progress still be there if I log in with it again later?

eyesradar

No. I have been actively involved in both Pokemon VGC and TCG for over 16 years. And I collect plushies too.

I have a normal job, a normal social life and a normal partner. I never feel embrassed or ashamed to show other ppl my love of Pokemon.

Only if you think "Pokemon is for kiddos you would think that way".

Ferrio

Banned
Congrats to the ingress guys. They had a good concept that never really took off, but they stuck to their guns, applied a new coat of paint and now they have a social phenomenon on their hands.

adamy

Banned
so whats the consensus on evolving pokemon...first focus on increasing CP and THEN evolve, or evolve as soon as you can?

Yes, absolutely!

I've seen couples go around with their phones out. I've seen old men walking around college campuses swiping with glee. I've seen cool kids on skateboards telling one another to wait up, I want to get that Zubat(tm). I've probably annoyed people who walk with me on my commute because I couldn't put my phone down as I was delivering praise unto last year's classic movie Creed.

The thing is though, we're having fun. We're smiling like idiots because WE KNOW what people holding their phone out like morons are trying to do, but heck. First time I've felt this way about a phone app in a looong time.

udivision

Dunno if it's been addressed yet, but despite picking a male trainer, all my achievements that are gendered use girl (Punk Girl, etc). I'm guessing it's a bug? Anyone else with the same issue?

You play CSGO with a controller, that's shame enough kappa
Those are references to trainers from the main game.

RedFox85

I live in Virginia Beach and I just got back from the boardwalk and there were huge, roaming bands of Pokemon GO players down there at midnight. A bunch of Pokestops had lures on them which was awesome and there were rumors that some players were catching wild Gyrados' down at the water's edge. Going to walk down there as soon as I get out of work tomorrow.

I just wanted to say that I read your post and had this huge grin on my face.. total nerdgasm moment for sure. You look at the classic pokemon games on the gameboy and you think how enthusiastic all of these people in this world were over pokemon, how it was just such a part of their lives and how EVERYONE was in on it. You then apply all of that stuff to what is actually happening in the real world right now with this app.. am I the only one with just the biggest smile on his face over this right now? That is super cool.

massoluk

Banned
Congrats to the ingress guys. They had a good concept that never really took off, but they stuck to their guns, applied a new coat of paint and now they have a social phenomenon on their hands.

I kinda missed Ingress territory war, tbh. Just controlling a spot on a map is nothing compare to gaining territory for your team.

MattyG

Banned
Yes, absolutely!

I've seen couples go around with their phones out. I've seen old men walking around college campuses swiping with glee. I've seen cool kids on skateboards telling one another to wait up, I want to get that Zubat(tm). I've probably annoyed people who walk with me on my commute because I couldn't put my phone down as I was delivering praise unto last year's classic movie Creed.

The thing is though, we're having fun. We're smiling like idiots because WE KNOW what people holding their phone out like morons are trying to do, but heck. First time I've felt this way about a phone app in a looong time.
I hope this is true because it makes me so happy to think about.

Top Bottom