• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT| As in "Go Outside"

SoulUnison

Banned
How often can you "use" the same PokeSpot?
There's barely any around me, but if I find one and sit on it for a while with a cup of coffee or something, how many times would I get something out of it?

Red

How often can you "use" the same PokeSpot?
There's barely any around me, but if I find one and sit on it for a while with a cup of coffee or something, how many times would I get something out of it?

They refresh every five minutes. I know the feeling. There are none around me and it would not be feasible for me to visit the two or three local ones for pokeballs over and over. I ended up spending ten bucks and buying a shit load of balls.

So how much money have people spent on this game so far? Zero for me, but i feel like some people are rushing their characters to crazy levels.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Went walking around Downtown Disney with a friend for about an hour. got a few commons, a bunch of Eevees. But I missed a Jynx!

The signal is terrible by me so I can't do much unless I'm not home.

Hachitora

I feel like the terrible servers may be a blessing in disguise. If the servers were always up I would always feel compelled to check the game, lol.

Also, I have a few 2km and 5km eggs, as well as two 10km eggs. I have a lot of jogging to do

thespot84

i really think the pokemon mirror the surroundings (water features, parks have pidgyes etc).

Anyone else find it impossible to dodge when gym fighting?

Holy shit sitting at the gym at a park and I counted 14 people playing and two cars yelled Pokemon as they drove by. This is in rural Utah.

Shit is huge.

wwm0nkey

i really think the pokemon mirror the surroundings (water features, parks have pidgyes etc).

Yeah so far all the pokemon are very accurate to where I think I would find them, have a tiny lake near me so sometimes a water Pokemon appears in my house lol

thespot84

so this gym near me has a 100 nidorino and a 250 graveler guarding it.

I could throw a 47 abra, 58 bulbasuar, 125 nidorino, 62 paras, 92 pidgeotto, 79 pidgy and 53 rattata at it. would I even have a shot? how does the CP thing work?

eyesradar

so this gym near me has a 100 nidorino and a 250 graveler guarding it.

I could throw a 47 abra, 58 bulbasuar, 125 nidorino, 62 paras, 92 pidgeotto, 79 pidgy and 53 rattata at it. would I even have a shot? how does the CP thing work?

Well they are all weak to ground type....maybe try catch a Diglett?
(Never actually played GO cuz Canada....)

MajorMane

Honestly, I thought this too. Earlier I could only find water type Pokemon at my campus's fountain.... but then I just walked outside of my house into the circle and caught a Seel, so I don't know.

And regarding the dodging... yeah, it's spotty at best. I can't seem to get it to work.

Quonny

I really, really wish this game could go on standby, even if it "punished" you for it.

Like, I was at the mall today with my wife and she and I are both playing. Going "hey, honey, hold up" and stopping for 5-10 seconds every time we encountered something was a real drag. I'd rather have the Pokemon I pass put in a queue so I can get to them when I get to them, even if it means I encounter 50%/75%/90%/whatever less Pokemon.

I can see myself only playing this when I walk alone, and that's kinda a drag.

wwm0nkey

I really, really wish this game could go on standby, even if it "punished" you for it.

Like, I was at the mall today with my wife and she and I are both playing. Going "hey, honey, hold up" and stopping for 5-10 seconds every time we encountered something was a real drag. I'd rather have the Pokemon I pass put in a queue so I can get to them when I get to them, even if it means I encounter 50%/75%/90%/whatever less Pokemon.

I can see myself only playing this when I walk alone, and that's kinda a drag.
have your phone go to sleep after 30min, turn on power saver and then turn your phone upside down. It will vibrate and everything in your pocket for 30min then

Game worked really well for me on my bike ride today. Used that item that makes more pokemon appear and was able to get to level 5 and become a gym leader at a park I ride by.

Quonny

have your phone go to sleep after 30min, turn on power saver and then turn your phone upside down. It will vibrate and everything in your pocket for 30min then

The issue isn't the battery, though. It's the constant stopping when you're with someone else. I know I could just not play, but I'm with my wife or someone else 99% of the time when I'm out walking so ignoring them or halting our walk every time something happens sucks.

Everyone in my town seems to be on Blue team. :/ Every single gym is already blue. Kind of lame I can't actually challenge and battle anyone.

Are you sure they're not all just captured by the same few people?

This game makes me remember how superior gen 1 is.

No need to add anymore Pokemon to this game.

you sound dummmmmmm

It's crazy how many people are playing this. My girlfriend and I have run into multiple groups of people playing it and are discussing strategies with a couple at a restaurant right now.

What kind of strategies were you guys discussing?

I've been running into a lot of random people playing the game. Talked to a few of them. We have a Lake Club (country club type thing) in our community. Today me and my friend were checking in at the front and the guy who worked there asked if we were playing it too, and told us about the pokestop inside of it. Pretty cool.

We also came across a friend who was driving around and playing it, and later on passed by another person we knew who was looking for a Lickitung lol. Wonder how long this kind of thing will last.

From the FAQ posted earlier in this thread

http://mylifeasjoekim.tumblr.com/post/146990537154/new-pokemon-go-trainers

Granted that doesn't say you might not have an even higher ceiling if you maxed out CP then evolved.

Does say like I said that the CP cap raises as you level like I said.

Does that mean all Pokemon have the same potential then? Still don't quite fully understand this.

Walked around for about 3 hours today. Ran into a whole lot of people playing the game as well. Fun was had.

Until I tried taking over gyms that was. This aspect of the game is incredibly broken at the moment. I don't know if it's just the battle game mechanic, server issues, or a combination of the two, but I wasted like 20 revives and health potions on battles that ended with the enemy Pokemon becoming invincible at 1hp, and mine continuing to take damage until all of my Pokemon died or I closed the app manually.

Has anybody had any luck with gym battles? I won two consecutive battles at a nearby gym, was 1 battle away from defeating the team who occupied it, and then I encountered the bug I described above where the enemy Pokemon became invincible with a sliver of health left. I closed the app, came back, and despite the battle breaking, the game still made me heal and revive my Pokemon. I tried to battle again, and the big "GO" would show up on the screen and then immediately back me out.

What's the purpose of beta testing this stuff? Now everybody who occupied these gyms at the start have an advantage due to how broken the battle system is.

I was walking in my house, corner of my eye I see a guy in my front yard out the window, wearing a Marvel shirt on his phone. I watch for a few then he move even closer into my front yard and turns at a weird angle and gets on his phone more. At this moment, I realized there was a Pokemon in my yard.

If I want to listen to music while I've got the game running, will the game play a sound to indicate when a Pokemon is nearby? Do I need "Sound Effects" enabled?

ryan299

Drove around the neighborhood and captured a ton tonight. Took over a Gym also. Saw a Charizard nearby but couldn't find him.

How do gyms work? I battled against one pokemon against my six. Afterwards I put in one pokemon and my friend put in one. Would the next challenger have to face both of us for the gym?

How do you think the pokemon distribution algorithm works?

I've been hearing about Ghost Pokemon actually being at cemeteries, so maybe the system tracks certain words and tries to put some pokemon there based on that?

I also just read someone on reddit saying they live in a place related to "moon" and he finds a lot of Clefairies and Clefables.

I live in a place with Sunny in the name, and I find a lot of fire types like Vulpix, Growlithe, Magmar and Ponyta (along with others).

I assume it would at least distribute water pokemon near water, and maybe weather conditions as well.

I I I I I I I I

If I use incense while laying in my bed, will Pokemon come to me in my bed or do I have do move?

Yes thats the point of incense... Make them come to u over you randomly walking around to find them...this is why people will pay the micro transactions and grind with incense and modules

Now i know the mechanic is distance based but im beginning to realy feel the carrot on the string here. Also, im pretty sure pokemon encounters are set to some kind of timer. Maybe if you limit out, then the timer kicks in or something.

AdanVC

I'M DYING
fd6hj85.jpg

So how does the egg hatching work? Do I have to have the game on while I move? Does it have to be actual walking, will driving around count towards hatching?

ramyeon

Forked out for a Incense in hopes that it might attract that nearby Squirtle for me. Just loads of Zubat popping up fml.

ramyeon

I haven't seen any Zubat. Endless Weedles though.
I've caught tonnes of them. I've evolved one (Using 50 candies) and still have 100+ Zubat Candies from catching and transferring them. The troll is real.

Squirtle disappeared from my nearby list. Now it's just 6 Zubats a Pidgey and a Caterpie. Sydney CBD sucks.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
Pokemon Go has taken over my life! GO Team Blue! This game is definitely set to take over the entire world! It won't be long before we see it in the news.

I have a few questions though:

1. When I challenged a gym leader I beat him and then had to fight round 2 as well - why was there a second round? In the end I just couldn't do a second round.

2. Are there any disadvantages of teaming up with a team leader rather than actually being the leader of that gym?

3. If I'm a member of a gym (on the team), is it possible at all in future to become the leader of that gym?

Top Bottom