• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Shuffle to be released on iOS and Android later this year

DNAbro

The "this will make so much money on mobile" thing will depend on whether TPC treats this as a service (with events and stuff) or just throwing a game and just waiting for the money to come in. IIRC there was no such thing on the 3DS version.

doesn't Pokemon Shuffle have constant updates and weekly challenges for rare/mega pokemon?

Syntsui

This took so long, they were leaving SO MUCH money on the table by not releasing it on mobile. This shit along will bring millions after millions to them.

The "this will make so much money on mobile" thing will depend on whether TPC treats this as a service (with events and stuff) or just throwing a game and just waiting for the money to come in. IIRC there was no such thing on the 3DS version.

doesn't Pokemon Shuffle have constant updates and weekly challenges for rare/mega pokemon?
Yeah, along the standard mode has rotating weekly Pokémons, plus timed Legendaries and competitions for certain Mega Stones. I really liked the Giratina challenge

I had a feeling this would happen though, and I think TPC's plans with F2P games on mobile have the potential to undo the good work Nintendo is attempting to do (Iwata has already stated Nintendo's mobile games will not chase the "whales", or those players who have the potential to spend a lot), as a lot of people associate "Pokémon" with "Nintendo".

Still, when Nintendo's 5 mobile games do launch in the run-up to April 2017, I'd suspect they will be under a Nintendo-DeNA branding umbrella, and will integrate with Nintendo's global account system. Pokémon Shuffle will not.

and so it begins

I wouldn't be so hasty -- this is almost certainly the product of The Pokémon Company, not Nintendo. They already released Pokémon TCG last year on iPad.

Nintendo doesn't even hold the majority of their stocks.
Nintendo owns a third and controls Creatures that has another third.

Moreover, Nintendo owns the Pokémon logo and the names of every Pokémon. So de facto they have major control of the franchise and any release won't happen without their blessing.

EDIT: Moreover, TPC president was appointed by Nintendo

flohen95

Why does everything have to be a match 3 game?

The mainstream mobile market in the west is pretty limited in terms of genres. I guess that has to do with the hardware limitations (especially for controls) and with the tastes of the mainstream mobile audience.

I'm guessing this will change as more and more developers/publishers try their own stuff on mobile, but for now, if you want to be successfull in the mobile space, it might be a good idea to stick to what's popular.

TheMoon

Pokémon Shuffle was published and paid for by Nintendo as well as The Pokémon Company. This could well be the first.

Nah, they didn't put Konno on this and involved DeNA and then made a big splash out of saying how careful they were gonna be only to port a 3DS game as their big mobile debut. I also don't see the mobile debut not involving the Mario brand in some form (due to the anniversary/SMM-co-hype)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nintendo isnt involved in any way? I never understood the relationship between The Pokemon Company and nintendo...

It's a joint ownership company between Nintendo, Creatures, and Game Freak that is dedicated to handling the Pokemon brand and all related production and merchandizing.

It's not 100% clear how much decision making each individual party has. Nintendo is also going mobile however, and Game Freak is already mobile, so I can't imagine any of the three parties would actually be opposed to this.

Edit:

Since I didn't address them, Creatures is more of a merchandizing card game/toy arm, so they'd obviously be in favor of anything that gets the brand in front of more people.

Makes sense, its a gross F2P game that eventually becomes a grind begging you to spend money like all the other F2P mobile games out there. Good fit.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Nah, they didn't put Konno on this and involved DeNA and then made a big splash out of saying how careful they were gonna be only to port a 3DS game as their big mobile debut. I also don't see the mobile debut not involving the Mario brand in some form (due to the anniversary/SMM-co-hype)

I would bet it's more of an Animal Crossing port, to be honest. It lends itself perfectly to the mobile system.

Penguin

I wonder what they will do with the Streetpass stuff

Granted, nothing game-changing
But another way to ease the free to start model.

ZeroAKA

I stopped playing this on 3DS because I got a bit bored, but I'll definitely return once the mobile version is released. I'll be able to sneak in a few sessions during work too. :D

JoeM86

Yeah, just had a look and all the official material (which I could only get from Japan) lists just The Pokémon Company.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I would bet it's more of an Animal Crossing port, to be honest. It lends itself perfectly to the mobile system.

I would overwhelmingly suspect two of the first five mobile games Nintendo is making to be a Mario autorunner and an Animal Crossing town and/or house building title.

For the other three I could see them taking more risks since match-3 is already covered by Pokemon Shuffle.

That would also put their profile at about half "tried and true" and half risk, which is reasonable.

Edit:

Oh, right, they probably want something in the mobile RPG realm. Maybe Fire Emblem since they don't have much else that fits and that'd be a good fit for the mid-core both domestically and abroad.

To note I mean ""'Fire Emblem""" as in it uses the IP as opposed to actually playing like Fire Emblem.

TheMoon

They're not doing ports. This is one of the most emphasized things they said during all of this. No ports. Original software.

kiguel182

Is this one of the five games?

I didn't even download it to my 2DS because I heard it had timers or something and I can't stand those systems.

Maybe I'll try it before it comes to mobile I guess.

Dryk

Is it weird that I had no interest in playing it on my 3DS, but now that it's on phones I might try it out? I wonder why my mind works that way. Maybe it's because I can only play one thing on 3DS and have to quit out before playing something else? Maybe it's because It's a traditional 'mobile' game and i see my 3ds as a... game console? I dunno why the distinction is there in my mind, but it is.
It's not weird at all. It takes eons to change apps on a 3DS compared to mobile devices. It's part of the reason I stopped playing it, I couldn't be bothered loading it up and then loading up whatever I was playing, especially since I wasn't guaranteed to even make progress.

This is also part of the reason I stopped playing it, I didn't want to have to stay on its schedule or miss Pokemon.

Sterok

Not surprised. It was obviously made to be a mobile game that wound up on 3DS first, likely to see how the F2P model worked out for The Pokemon Company and Nintendo. I'll actually be slightly more likely to try it out on my phone.

Syntsui

Makes sense, its a gross F2P game that eventually becomes a grind begging you to spend money like all the other F2P mobile games out there. Good fit.

This is not true, I didn't spend a cent and cleared/caught pretty much anything that interests me in the game.

The harder challenges are easily beatable with items that can be bought in-game.

dickroach

I would overwhelmingly suspect two of the first five mobile games Nintendo is making to be a Mario autorunner and an Animal Crossing town and/or house building title.

I really don't think they'd do that. Iwata said that thing about watering down their IPs at the investors meeting and I think this would be doing that.
I think they'd be more inclined to do a Mario-skinned puzzle game like picross or a Tetris Attack-ish game. people can't attack it for being a shitty Mario game at that point, like they could once you put out a game with running a jumping.

Draxal

For the other three I could see them taking more risks since match-3 is already covered by Pokemon Shuffle.

That would also put their profile at about half "tried and true" and half risk, which is reasonable.

Edit:

Oh, right, they probably want something in the mobile RPG realm. Maybe Fire Emblem since they don't have much else that fits and that'd be a good fit for the mid-core both domestically and abroad.

To note I mean ""'Fire Emblem""" as in it uses the IP as opposed to actually playing like Fire Emblem.

Fire Emblem would be the card game which is getting a HUGE push. (I mean they would use the card game's art assets, not sure if it would be a 100% copy of the actual game).

Berordn

I didn't even download it to my 2DS because I heard it had timers or something and I can't stand those systems.

It did have a timer system but the one they used on the 3DS was actually really generous. The cynic in me expects that to change for the mobile version.

Well that certainly explains that "user code/ID" buried in one of Pokémon Shuffle's menu screens.

It always seemed out of place to have your data tied to an ID when the game is effectively tied to a single user's 3DS. I suspect that code will let players transfer their data from the 3DS version to the iOS/Android version. I've seen it in other server-based games.

Meier

Smart decision. It's a fun game that I've put an absolute shitload of hours into. Curious if they will somehow shoehorn a street pass-esque feature into it or if they'll just give out the hearts based on days logged in.

cheapest cash grab shit to date by TPC

it's a piece of shit

Have you actually played it? I can't imagine how someone would have played this and found it to be a "piece of shit."

Syntsui

Well that certainly explains that "user code/ID" in Pokémon Shuffle's menus.

It always seemed out of place to have your data tied to an ID when the game is effectively tied to a single user's 3DS. I suspect that code will let players transfer their data from the 3DS version to the iOS/Android version. I've seen it in other server-based games.

I really hope not, considering it would put pretty much anyone that doesn't have a 3DS on an ENORMOUS disavantage on the challenges.

It's better that everyone starts from ground zero.

vareon

Edit:

They started Fire Emblem TCG this year, so if there's any Nintendo IP for a mobile RPG I think Fire Emblem is my first choice. Then again Nintendo can be weird.

JoeM86

So interesting thing

7dLJ2aW.png

Has the Notices option, the book option, the shopping cart option and a menu option, but there's a weird present option that doesn't currently exist in the 3DS version.

I really hope not, considering it would put pretty much anyone that doesn't have a 3DS on an ENORMOUS disavantage on the challenges.

It's better that everyone starts from ground zero.

That's true, especially in regions where 3DS isn't so massmarket (basically anywhere that isn't Japan then).

TheMoon

No, see my other posts here as to why not.

So interesting thing

7dLJ2aW.png

Has the Notices option, the book option, the shopping cart option and a menu option, but there's a weird present option that doesn't currently exist in the 3DS version.

"Bombard your friends on Facebook with shit about Pokémon Shuffle to receive gifts!!"

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I used to buy anything Pokemon, but honestly I'm really starting to just not care about the franchise anymore...

It's got NOTHING to do with the Pokemon themselves, I really like the characters and world still and I like the designs and everything, and I found XY and ORAS to be fun enough. But I just...I guess am outgrowing it now?

JoeM86

I used to buy anything Pokemon, but honestly I'm really starting to just not care about the franchise anymore...

It's got NOTHING to do with the Pokemon themselves, I really like the characters and world still and I like the designs and everything, and I found XY and ORAS to be fun enough. But I just...I guess am outgrowing it now?

Just play the main games and ignore the spin-offs.

Top Bottom