• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Shuffle to be released on iOS and Android later this year

JoeM86

the previous apps weren't games.

Au contraire

2006: PokéMate
catch2.jpg

More of an app which had game features. You could catch Pokémon in it, but also check e-mails etc. Fun fact...that was developed by Square Enix

2011: Pokémon Say Tap
pokemonsaytap.jpg

Rhythm game

2014: Pokémon Trading Card Game Online
pokemontcgonline.jpg

TCG game

2014: Camp Pokémon
camppokemon.jpg

Mini-games

2015: Dance? Pokémon Band!
band.jpg

Rhythm game

DNAbro

Au contraire

2006: PokéMate
catch2.jpg

More of an app which had game features. You could catch Pokémon in it, but also check e-mails etc. Fun fact...that was developed by Square Enix

2011: Pokémon Say Tap
pokemonsaytap.jpg

Rhythm game

2014: Pokémon Trading Card Game Online
pokemontcgonline.jpg

TCG game

2014: Camp Pokémon
camppokemon.jpg

Mini-games

2015: Dance? Pokémon Band!
band.jpg

Rhythm game

huh. never heard of any of those.

Hatchtag

Banned
They should really bring a companion app to mobile. Like just bring a Pokemon Showdown esque app that requires you to import a team from the main games. I would absolutely love that.

Oregano

It's quite interesting that Nintendo is allowing their partners to us their IPs before launching their own mobile games. First Terra Battle, now this.

I assume Mario content for P&D isn't too far off.

Pachimari

Can't wait for this to come out, even though it is a pretty standard fare. Liked what I played on my N3DS.

Wasn't there a Pokedex app on the Android Play Store? Have it been pulled?

JoeM86

They should really bring a companion app to mobile. Like just bring a Pokemon Showdown esque app that requires you to import a team from the main games. I would absolutely love that.

Yuck. For one, that'd ruin the idea behind Pokémon. It turns them into just data. Second, TPC follows Nintendo's edict of not main games on mobile so.

JoeM86

Can't wait for this to come out, even though it is a pretty standard fare. Liked what I played on my N3DS.

Wasn't there a Pokedex app on the Android Play Store? Have it been pulled?

Still there, but not updated beyond Black 2 & White 2

The fuck?

If they were to do a battle simulator, for one it'd cannibalise their own sales, and second they make the point of bonding with Pokémon and even had an entire generation's story arc focus on that.

Pachimari

Still there, but not updated beyond Black 2 & White 2

If they were to do a battle simulator, for one it'd cannibalise their own sales, and second they make the point of bonding with Pokémon and even had an entire generation's story arc focus on that.
I really can't find it.
I have searched on Pokedex and Pokédex.

Frodo

I foresee people mortgaging their homes to buy jewels so they can play.

Wish there was an option to fully purchase the game, though.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Yuck. For one, that'd ruin the idea behind Pokémon. It turns them into just data. Second, TPC follows Nintendo's edict of not main games on mobile so.

Data, in contrast to small mythical creatures living inside cartridges? That would suck.

diaspora

I would actually buy a Pokemon Box app for Android. Keep the games on 3DS, absolutely but the box manager can benefit from mobile.

Halabane

If they use the same system of getting money out of you then it will only effect whales and people who don't watch their kids. 5 turns is about all the time you want to play before putting it down. The hearts seem refresh not that long...hour? But I guess if you have to catch them all quickly then your wallet will take a beating. Wonder if they will put a max dollar on this like they did on the other free to play game?

Random IVs rather than encouraging bonding encourage Third Reich-level eugenetics.

It's pretty disheartening when after going through the entire adventure you find out your Pokémons are actually shit because they lost at the genetic lottery. And it's not like they don't encourage PvP, they even issue sanctioned tournaments.

JoeM86

Random IVs rather than encouraging bonding encourage Third Reich-level eugenetics.

It's pretty disheartening when after going through the entire adventure you find out your Pokémons are actually shit because they lost at the genetic lottery. And it's not like they don't encourage PvP, they even issue sanctioned tournaments.

To be fair, it wasn't meant to be this way. It only happened due to cheating. Chain breeding great IVs was a crapshoot in previous gens. They've made it easier this gen to try and discourage cheats, but alas it happened anyway.

Syntsui

Let's not pretend this won't have 5 million download in less than a month guys. It's Pokémon on mobile. Pokémon in a form that attracts the mainstream mobile market.

Seems like a good fit.

Really not looking forward to where this goes if it's successful. Mobile not necessarily being bad but F2P definitely being bad; it's just the wrong financial incentive for producing the kind of games I want to play.

ash_ag

Took them a while. Not surprising at all, but makes you wonder if they're going to adopt Nintendo's platform once that's out. Pokémon Shuffle uses Nintendo login in the first place, and it would be really convenient if you could sync your progress between 3DS and mobile.

Still nice. Hope it picks up with casual users. It's really the ideal game to start with on these platforms.

JoeM86

Isn't this just the Pokemon Company though? Has nothing to do with Nintendo...

Yeah it is

Though The Pokémon Company is part owned by Nintendo, as is the franchise while Nintendo owns all the trademarks.
The developer of the title is also part owned by Nintendo, and also part owned by The Pokémon Company which is part owned by Nintendo.

So in essence, it still is Nintendo in a bizarre roundabout way.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I really don't think they'd do that. Iwata said that thing about watering down their IPs at the investors meeting and I think this would be doing that.
I think they'd be more inclined to do a Mario-skinned puzzle game like picross or a Tetris Attack-ish game. people can't attack it for being a shitty Mario game at that point, like they could once you put out a game with running a jumping.

Rayman was very well received on mobile: http://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/rayman-jungle-run

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Any established brand has a F2P game on mobile in some capacity and all things considered this is a very generous game in the F2P realm.

I hope people try the game and is a success.

Pokemon Rumble can die though, I hate it with a passion.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
But do we know if this will have the same heart limit?

The heart limit is effectively the same format used by almost every single F2P smartphone game on the market. It's going to be in there.

I want a real Pokemon game on my phone so I don't have to bother with 3DS anymore.

You're not going to get that. Nintendo's future strategy is to make games similar to their existing franchises available for smartphones, not only as a means to generate cash but to also create exposure for the franchise itself - and when they see the BIG titles in these games available on one and only one place (Nintendo NX), they go buy that machine. At least that's the plan.

You're getting all of the naff spinoffs like this and Pokemon Dash, and you're going to like it.

I wonder if there's going to be a mainline Pokemon game this year. Pokemon Z?

Shuffle is basic but addictive. The perfect mobile F2P game.

I do worry a bit about the power creep though: some levels are nearly impossible to beat without items, yet some are laughingly easy. Competitions and some events are unfair for those starting out

Ridley327

I'd be surprised if Nintendo didn't have an auto-runner in the same style as the Rayman games. They have the perfect formula in place, and they keep the same level of production values.

For those that haven't played the Rayman Run games, they are auto-runners, but they have actual levels with clear endpoints, and the objective beyond completing the levels is to find the ideal path to collect all the pick-ups to unlock extras. They're well designed and quite challenging to boot.

ash_ag

Is that actually the in game music?

Oh god

It's just one of the tracks. I think you'll be surprised by how much Shuffle's music stands out, both in quality and quantity. It's composed by Tsukasa Tawada who previously did Pokémon Colosseum and XD, and many tracks are inspired by these two. The only downside is that there are only 3-4 battle tracks, so the battle music does get old.

Example:
Pokémon Colosseum - Outskirt Stand
Pokémon Shuffle - Pedra Valley

Top Bottom