• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Shuffle to be released on iOS and Android later this year

Dryk

So interesting thing

7dLJ2aW.png

Has the Notices option, the book option, the shopping cart option and a menu option, but there's a weird present option that doesn't currently exist in the 3DS version.
I wonder why they decided to take the screenshot halfway through Bulbasaur animating. It looks really off.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Actually good news as the game is quite generous and is a pleasure to go through.

I personally spent $10 on the game and have played well over 20 hours.

Wonder if Nintendo will take care of the publishing duties or will TPC.

megalowho

Makes sense. Has the production values and timer mechanics of your average F2P game. Kind of hated it when I messed with it on 3DS, there's way better match 3 games out there. If this is the direction Nintendo is looking to go for mobile iterations of their properties I'm not sure they're for me.

JoeM86

But Pokemon Conquest & Mystery Dungeon

Is that meant to sway me? Those are the worst spin-offs :p

Actually good news as the game is quite generous and is a pleasure to go through.

Japanese press release says The Pokémon Company

DNAbro

I used to buy anything Pokemon, but honestly I'm really starting to just not care about the franchise anymore...

It's got NOTHING to do with the Pokemon themselves, I really like the characters and world still and I like the designs and everything, and I found XY and ORAS to be fun enough. But I just...I guess am outgrowing it now?

well then play the main games. most of the spin-offs are kinda dumb.

Busaiku

The video has no mention of Nintendo.

Hopefully between now and final release they can change up some things. Stamina capping at 5 and not regening if you have more than that basically means you should never buy additional stamina as you have to get it down to <5 relatively quickly.

Now if you could increase max stamina instead...that could be really good and change up how the game is digested.

Wasn't this already doing pretty well on 3DS? Assuming they market this properly, Shuffle has the potential to be pretty big on mobile.
It has had millions of downloads (no that home icon present is not the game so doesn't count). Of course gem purchases seem to be far fewer. I don't think it offered enough content. I imagine they are not allowed to do buying Pokemon outright or megastone gatcha as that seems like an obvious area.

JoeM86

Hopefully between now and final release they can change up some things. Stamina capping at 5 and not regening if you have more than that basically means you should never buy additional stamina as you have to get it down to <5 relatively quickly.

Now if you could increase max stamina instead...that could be really good and change up how the game is digested.

They actually fixed that in 1.2. Now, the 5 will always regenerate and be used before any you have in the back.

Zeldana

Neo Member
Will I be able to transfer my progress from the 3ds? I would hate to start again
This... I've already sunk a ton of time into Shuffle 3DS, I don't think I could do it all over again.

Echoing sentiments re: streetpass goodies. I wonder how they'll be handled on mobile. The game's F2P mechanics and time limits are relatively benign compared to how bad it could be, I suppose, so I'm interested in seeing how this performs and what sorts of differences they'll integrate by virtue of platform.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I'm excited to sell how well it performs, especially in Japan, Pokemon's strongest market.

JoeM86

I'm excited to sell how well it performs, especially in Japan, Pokemon's strongest market.

I'm personally hoping it bombs.

Rumble World hasn't seemed to have done well. No trumpeting about any of its accomplishments.

I really hope this F2P experiment of Pokémon has failed and has got them to wise up to how horrific it is.

I could go on my rant about mobile gaming, but I won't. I'll probably get banned :p

4.7 million downloads on the 3DS though. I question if it'll even get that many.

Vena

I finished it eithout spending a dime, havent gone back for mega farming as I got bored of match-3. It was a solid little romp, though, and not as predatory as other offerings. We'll see if that holds over from 3DS to mobile.

That said, Ive been expecting this for some time. The game had mobile written all over it with its control scheme.

Nintendo isnt involved in any way? I never understood the relationship between The Pokemon Company and nintendo...

Its comolicated but Nintendo would also make bank.

Dee Dee

The "this will make so much money on mobile" thing will depend on whether TPC treats this as a service (with events and stuff) or just throwing a game and just waiting for the money to come in. IIRC there was no such thing on the 3DS version.

You had login bonuses (help, how do I plural bonus?) and daily and weekly event pokemon, but it really didn't work that well with the 3DS since you had to have internet access to receive them. And - unlike mobile phones - the 3DS has no access to mobile internet services, so you could only play the events at home or some other place with a fitting WiFi net.

It is blatantly obvious that this game was designed as a mobile game from the ground up, and the 3DS version was nothing more then a test run.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Rumble World hasn't seemed to have done well. No trumpeting about any of its accomplishments.

I really hope this F2P experiment of Pokémon has failed and has got them to wise up to how horrific it is.

I could go on my rant about mobile gaming, but I won't. I'll probably get banned :p

4.7 million downloads on the 3DS though. I question if it'll even get that many.

Source?

Draxal

I've seen you discuss how awful the f2p works in this game, but It's incedibly generous compared to other f2p mobile games, so it shows how completely fucked up the mobile market is in Japan atm.

It's at least 4.5 million since Manaphy was just released as the special 4.5 million pokemon in Shuffle a week ago.

Swamped

Banned
Ahhh, as soon as Nintendo made the announcement that they were going to go mobile, I knew this was one of the first games they would bring over. This game will be fun to play on my phone. I just hope they would change the pokeball catch jingle, but that's probably a little too Farfetch'd.

Also, hoping for some option that allows us to transfer our stuff from the 3DS version...

My son will love this. Hate the IAP model. My son knows when we're out of hearts and stops playing. If there was an unlimited heart option I would consider paying.

neto

Hard to say. It does have the weird client number on it. Maybe they'll use that as a way of syncing.
That would be great, I really hope there is a way to sync the game, I would play it more on my phone than on the 3ds, but I don't want to start again, I have already sunk over 40 hours on the 3ds

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Good stopped playing the 3DS version a while ago might come back for a mobile version though.

It's at least 4.5 million since Manaphy was just released as the special 4.5 million pokemon in Shuffle a week ago.

I imagine it's been pushed to a hell of a lot of 3DSs and downloaded but never played. It's telling that they always talk about "downloads" rather than "players."

Is that meant to sway me? Those are the worst spin-offs :p
I have such a love/hate relationship with PMD. I want to love them so much! PMD2 has a wonderful story! But what I don't get is why they keep reusing plotlines that somehow revolve around you and your partner Pokemon not being able to evolve during the main storyline or in the case of PMD2, not only not being able to evolve them during the main story, but not until you actually finished off all the post-game content as well, just leaving shitty challenge dungeons to use their evolutions in! Just stop it! Stop it and let me evolve them! Let me evolve all the Pokemon! :D Seriously, of all the things to become a staple of the series, why is that one of them? I don't get it, and despite SPMD otherwise looking great (aside from the return of the hunger mechanic as well, which is also part of my love/hate relationship as it's just a boring mechanic and waste of valuable inventory space, IMO), I'm guessing that mechanic will also find it's way back as well and I just don't get why, especially with Mega Evolutions and stuff having been introduced since Gates of Infinity. Bah...

Griss

I've beaten it up to around stage 175 (I'm on Timburr), must be near the end.

It's terrible but addictive. Shallow and heavily luck based, with an easy start ramping up to a difficulty that absolutely begs for your money. It's THE quintessential mobile game.

If they'd sold it for 10-15 euros with out the play restrictions and without the stupid difficulty spikes designed to open your wallet it could have been very enjoyable.

Dryk

It looks a lot nicer then the 3DS version in the ad IMO.
Well it is in a significantly higher resolution

Stamina bars are shit. But there's other design elements I hate more in Shuffle that are in the main Pokemon games too, and they show up in Puzzle & Dragon Z and some other things so I guess they're pretty common in Japan.

Copyrights have no mention of Nintendo... so I'm figuring this is another TPC rogue venture.

I've beaten it up to around stage 175 (I'm on Timburr), must be near the end.

It's terrible but addictive. Shallow and heavily luck based, with an easy start ramping up to a difficulty that absolutely begs for your money. It's THE quintessential mobile game.

If they'd sold it for 10-15 euros with out the play restrictions and without the stupid difficulty spikes designed to open your wallet it could have been very enjoyable.
Eh, usually you can farm coins rather fast so you never have to spend actual money in order to blast through some hard enemies.

Meier

I would bet that this will hit over 5m downloads within the first few days/first week of availability.

Rumble World really wasn't very fun and felt like more of a time investment than Shuffle and I think that didn't help it. The inventory management is REALLY laborious too.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I think we all expected this. Probably a good move, keep the real titles on Nintendo hardware and casual spin offs on mobile.

JoeM86

So, to make the discussion of who owns what even more confusing.

This game is developed by Genius Sonority.

Genius Sonority was created by Hiroshi Yamauchi's Q Fund as a start up to focus on Pokémon spin-off titles. It is owned by a few people including Nintendo (19.5%) and The Pokémon Company (19.5%).

That's right, in addition to Nintendo owning part of Genius Sonority, they own a third of another company that owns part of Genius Sonority.

Mind blown.

Top Bottom