• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Shuffle to be released on iOS and Android later this year

QaaQer

I've beaten it up to around stage 175 (I'm on Timburr), must be near the end.

It's terrible but addictive. Shallow and heavily luck based, with an easy start ramping up to a difficulty that absolutely begs for your money. It's THE quintessential mobile game.

If they'd sold it for 10-15 euros with out the play restrictions and without the stupid difficulty spikes designed to open your wallet it could have been very enjoyable.

any gatcha elements (randomized treasure/power ups)?

Crocodile

I never paid this game any attention. The vibe I'm getting from this thread was that it was mediocre at best? Good? Bad? Hard to get a feel but it feels mostly negative?

Draxal

I never paid this game any attention. The vibe I'm getting from this thread was that it was mediocre at best? Good? Bad? Hard to get a feel but it feels mostly negative?

It's good, but it's really Nintendo's first venture in the IAP realm that is so successful in the IOS/Android market, so there was alot of pushback from Nintendo fans for doing so.

Pokemon Conquest deserved better, an improved spin-off could almost be the best ever. Second only to an eShop Stadium mini-game collection.

Nope, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness/Time/Sky will forever hold that crown

Until another PMD on its level finally comes out

Still there, but not updated beyond Black 2 & White 2

If they were to do a battle simulator, for one it'd cannibalise their own sales, and second they make the point of bonding with Pokémon and even had an entire generation's story arc focus on that.

he was saying to import/copy your pokemon over, not a Pokemon Showdown system

ash_ag

It has its problems, particularly in balance and being pretty grindy. The puzzles aren't that intuitive, and power-ups are designed to feel kinda cheap. That said, it's still quite fun. Its artistic integrity and the process of collecting all Pokémon make it a very decent time-killer. The F2P elements are also very fair. I assure you you will rarely feel the need to play more than 5 stages at a time, and there are many ways to collect in-game coins without buying them.

Oregano

I'd be surprised if Nintendo didn't have an auto-runner in the same style as the Rayman games. They have the perfect formula in place, and they keep the same level of production values.

For those that haven't played the Rayman Run games, they are auto-runners, but they have actual levels with clear endpoints, and the objective beyond completing the levels is to find the ideal path to collect all the pick-ups to unlock extras. They're well designed and quite challenging to boot.

Not to mention they already did Auto runner Mario in NSMB2.

Also the obvious companion app for Pokémon is to make the Pokéwalker a mobile app.

Griss

any gatcha elements (randomized treasure/power ups)?

In the pokemon safari you have to enter a level without knowing what pokemon will show up. This means you have to play the Safari like 50+ times to catch all 5 pokemon. I guess that counts, although it's a mechanic fairly pulled from the main games.

meppi

No surprise there.

I do wish that they went another way with this game and released the free to play version on phones and released a modified version for the 3DS without all that crap included. Like Puzzle and Dragons 3DS.

Luke_Wal

Is this pretty much the same game as Trozei? Loved that one on the original DS, but I don't have a 3DS to get this for reference.

JoeM86

Is this pretty much the same game as Trozei? Loved that one on the original DS, but I don't have a 3DS to get this for reference.

It's match 3 but mechanics are different. Trozei was sliding left, right and down. This is dragging and dropping, to switch pieces.

The three games that share that graphical style (Trozei, Trozei Battle and Shuffle) are all pretty distinct from a game play perspective though have similar themes being matching puzzle games, how you control them changes. Watch some videos of them as that is the easiest way to see things for yourself.

Cbajd5

Japan is running a special Beta Version on Android platforms from June 30th to July 14th 2015 with a full release of the game coming later in the year

Does anyone know how this is going to work? You mention on your website it's only open to the first 10000 users, but do you think it will be through Google Play or something else?

JoeM86

Does anyone know how this is going to work? You mention on your website it's only open to the first 10000 users, but do you think it will be through Google Play or something else?

I honestly am unsure. I think it'll be on the Play Store.

jholmes

Is this game worth playing? I didn't want to download it on 3DS because I don't want to encourage this sort of IAP crap but with the DeNA deal it seems like that horse has bolted the barn, so maybe I should.

I'm glad they held off until well after DeNA though, otherwise people would treat this like the sky falling.

Cbajd5

I honestly am unsure. I think it'll be on the Play Store.

I think it's up on the Play Store now, or at least an app that looks like it has been uploaded by the Pokemon company.

EDIT: OH GOD WHAT IS HAPPENING

Z1EB7wN.png

Double Edit: Oh, I think it's because my locale is English or something. Because I get this when I hit where start should be:

And then it tries to get me to accept a ToS that doesn't have an English version (not found on the Server) and then I can't do anything. I'm going to see if I can change my locale....

Edit: In the mean time I think I'm pretty sure it won't start up if you have root enabled. Just stays at a black screen and never tries to connect to the server.

SUPER EDIT:

Yeah, changing locales fixes it. And everything seems set up for Japanese beta testers, it got in game after the ToS. It's only through level 30 as far as Google Translate can tell me, and you participation and completion of all 30 stages will get you a special reward in the full game.

Gonna try changing my locale back to English, because I'm having fun.

Probably final edit for a bit:

English seems to be working alright in game... So now I'm gonna just play it. If there's anything else interesting I'll screenshot it.

Interesting Edit:

I think this is new?

Aldo for some reason the coin stage is currently available and Meowth does the coin disruption if there's 2 combos instead of 3, along with Mew and the Rotom daily Pokemon stages. (Currently on Heat Rotom.) Otherwise the game seems up to date with the 3DS version feature wise, it's got the seperate heart counters, super catch power, and the Pokemon info after catcing them. Also, the gift box icon is for gifts they can send you, like the daily stones/orbs in other popular phone games. (P&D, Monster Strike, etc.) Currently they're giving out 10 jewels, but there's no English message for the full details.

Final edit for tonight, probably:

The English text seems to be taken from the 3DS version directly where applicable as the Mew and Heat Rotom mention end times back in March.

BREAKING NEWS EDIT:

The Mew stage costs 2 hearts to play.

JoeM86

I think it's up on the Play Store now, or at least an app that looks like it has been uploaded by the Pokemon company.

EDIT: OH GOD WHAT IS HAPPENING

Double Edit: Oh, I think it's because my locale is English or something. Because I get this when I hit where start should be:

And then it tries to get me to accept a ToS that doesn't have an English version (not found on the Server) and then I can't do anything. I'm going to see if I can change my locale....

Edit: In the mean time I think I'm pretty sure it won't start up if you have root enabled. Just stays at a black screen and never tries to connect to the server.

SUPER EDIT:

Yeah, changing locales fixes it. And everything seems set up for Japanese beta testers, it got in game after the ToS. It's only through level 30 as far as Google Translate can tell me, and you participation and completion of all 30 stages will get you a special reward in the full game.

Gonna try changing my locale back to English, because I'm having fun.

Probably final edit for a bit:

English seems to be working alright in game... So now I'm gonna just play it. If there's anything else interesting I'll screenshot it.

Interesting Edit:

I think this is new?

Aldo for some reason the coin stage is currently available and Meowth does the coin disruption if there's 2 combos instead of 3, along with Mew and the Rotom daily Pokemon stages. (Currently on Heat Rotom.) Otherwise the game seems up to date with the 3DS version feature wise, it's got the seperate heart counters, super catch power, and the Pokemon info after catcing them. Also, the gift box icon is for gifts they can send you, like the daily stones/orbs in other popular phone games. (P&D, Monster Strike, etc.) Currently they're giving out 10 jewels, but there's no English message for the full details.

Final edit for tonight, probably:

The English text seems to be taken from the 3DS version directly where applicable as the Mew and Heat Rotom mention end times back in March.

BREAKING NEWS EDIT:

The Mew stage costs 2 hearts to play.

Well this stuff is making me uneasy.

RiggyRob

Paying Jewels to unlock event stages and increasing how many hearts it takes to play them. That's not great, unless they're changing up how the heart/jewel system works, but this is definitely not 'literally the 3DS version but on mobile.'

PtM

Banned
Is this game worth playing? I didn't want to download it on 3DS because I don't want to encourage this sort of IAP crap but with the DeNA deal it seems like that horse has bolted the barn, so maybe I should.
I reckon you'd send a clearer message by playing it and not paying for it. It is worth playing, but can get grindy in the later stages.

Cbajd5

Paying Jewels to unlock event stages and increasing how many hearts it takes to play them. That's not great, unless they're changing up how the heart/jewel system works, but this is definitely not 'literally the 3DS version but on mobile.'
Paying a jewel to unlock a stage only is available for the Meowth stage, and only after you play it normally the first time. (Well, outside of the fact it' s there despite it not being the weekend.) The Heat Rotom and Mew stages can still be played as much as you want as long as you have hearts.

All in all the ublocking thing just seems to be there so that users can play the "play once" stages more times, which if you can get more than 2000 coins on the Meowth stage makes it the best way to spend jewels to get coins. (Since you get 2 plays of the stage per Jewel.)

But yeah, it's definitely 2 hearts to play the Mew stage. Which wasn't that bad for me since I caught it the first time I played it, but can definitely see it getting annoying for more difficult legendaries.

Also, EX stages are in the beta too but I haven't played any yet. As far as I can tell they should still be the same based on the pop-up text.

Cbajd5

Making a new post since I finished the main 30 stages. For the 30th there was a Capture Check, which I think is new? The pictures are self explanitory.

After beating it I got a message about the closed beta participation gift, but it was empty since I'm assuming there's nothing translated for it. I'm going to try beating the stage again with my locale set to Japan to see if it'll show up again, but I don't know if it'll display it again. (The game seemed to display every message again if you closed the game without beating a stage and reopened it, but didn't do so for this one.) I have to wait for a heart to recharge though since I can't get myself to spend a jewel on hearts.

Other than that I still need to go back and catch a couple of normal Pokemon and all of the EX Pokemon. The Special stages also updated for today and Frost Rotom is the daily Pokemon.

Edit: Yeah, that message didn't show up again after I beat Mega Sableye for a second time.

test_account

XP-39C²
I was arguing about this when the game first game out for the 3DS, that this game would be a good fit for mobile. Seems that they also agree now =)

Then the official site said some stuff:
http://www.poketoru.jp/
Google translate is making a mess but it does seem to mention data migration is named as a features that is not available. Before you get excited it could also mean save data migration between different smartphone devices.

Also it says the gifts won't come until after the beta. Maybe that is why it is blank.

Cbajd5

Then the official site said some stuff:
http://www.poketoru.jp/
Google translate is making a mess but it does seem to mention data migration is named as a features that is not available. Before you get excited it could also mean save data migration between different smartphone devices.

Also it says the gifts won't come until after the beta. Maybe that is why it is blank.

I can say at least the Client Number is in the menu options, and appears to be the same format as the 3DS Client Numbers.

There's also a "Jewel Breakdown" option that isn't selectable, which I don't know if it's new.

Edit: Oh, and you can't buy Jewels during the Beta. I think the 10 Jewel gift is so you have a good amount to spend, rather than just the 4 you'd get through normal game play. (Which includes the 1 you have to spend on hearts as part of the tutorial.)

Neo Dark

Intern At TPC: Hey I heard rumors we can make lots of money on mobile by putting Pokemon games out there. We can charge everyone real money for Pokeballs!

TPC: Interesting... Well we do have this game called Pokemon Shuffle. Let's use it to test waters... by increasing the heart cost! MWAHAHAHA

And so it begins...

Cbajd5

They released an update for the beta at some point yesterday with this for the update log:

<<不具合の修正>>
◆ポケモンゲットタイムに入る前に進行停止する不具合を修正
◆その他、一部不具合を修正

Which as far as I can tell with my limited google translating ability just mentions bug fixes.

However, it also "fixed" the locale adapting so the game's only in Japanese now. I think I got everything of interest already though, as far as I can tell the only thing I have left to do is to catch Fridge Rotom, which I guess will be available on Monday, and S Rank the EX stages. (Only the first 3 are available, although I S Ranked all the main stages.)

Cbajd5

Okay, overnight they did an in app update for the mobile beta that added some more main stages (at least 5, but I think 10 or 15 based on the number of new Pokemon spaces in the list), the Groudon and Victini special stages, and I think more EX stages but none of them have unlocked yet. (Based on a news item with a Zapdos piece icon.)

I'll add some screenshots later.

Top Bottom