• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Black & White (Thread #3) - Seasons, Infinite-use TMs, Deru Powah, and More

Wichu said:
As TMs are now infinite use, I can see these things happening:
- Brand new TM list.
- Only one of each TM can be obtained.
- TMs cannot be transferred from 4th gen games (when attempting to transfer a Pokémon holding a TM, it will tell you to remove it first).
- TMs cannot be held (and therefore cannot be traded), just like HMs.
- TMs (and HMs) can only be used at a PC in a Pokémon Centre (to avoid abusing them for PP restoration and Elite 4 runs).

Yeah its pretty obvious you will only get one of each (im assuming they won't even have a number next to them seeing as they are infinite, probably you just unlock the TM in a database)

The point about only being able to learn them at the PC is spot on I think, like I said some sort of unlocked database.

OMG Aero

Metroid Killer said:
:O

No more fucking grinding for stupid Battle Points to get those popular expensive TMs, and no more holding back when assigning moves to your pokemons!!!!
Actually, I see this as an excuse to make TMs harder to get since you'll only need to do it once. Like maybe instead of finding the earthquake TM once in the world and then paying 80BP to get it again like in the current games, they will make it so that the only way to get it is through paying BP and then you have it forever.

Excited to see the final product!

I have this feeling in my gut that we're gonna see a lot of surprising and interesting legendaries this Gen that haven't been revealed at this time till release. :D

beje

Banned
I'm happy to see this thing I drew some months ago is not going to happen:

5d6cb99d1d7be31917eb12a2224dbf4f.jpg

Andrex said:
Err, the names are in Japanese anyways. And I don't think there's any plot stuff in the OP.
I don't care >:-(

Descriptions about what they are are spoilers enough. I don't want to *know* that Ziritachi-kun is the "Cheese maggot" pokemon, that its ability is called "Pungent Poop" which either casts attract on an opponent or makes them switch out after a random number of turns (whichever effect it has depends on the opponent's gender and IVs) or that its signature move is "Sharp Flavour", which lowers the opponents defenses.

Please, just *mark* them in the next thread, even if you aren't willing to put them behind spoiler tags.

OMG Aero

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I don't care >:-(

Descriptions about what they are are spoilers enough. I don't want to *know* that Ziritachi-kun is the "Cheese maggot" pokemon, that its ability is called "Pungent Poop" which either casts attract on an opponent or makes them switch out after a random number of turns (whichever effect it has depends on the opponent's gender and IVs) or that its signature move is "Sharp Flavour", which lowers the opponents defenses.

Please, just *mark* them in the next thread, even if you aren't willing to put them behind spoiler tags.
If you don't want to see spoilers of the games, why don't you just not look at the thread until they are out?

OMG Aero said:
If you don't want to see spoilers of the games, why don't you just not look at the thread until they are out?

To be fair it doesn't say the thread has spoilers in the title even tho most of us are discussing every little bit of info thats released, then again it is a news thread so its a bit of a conundrum :S

Neo Child

Banned
kyo_daikun said:
I just really don't like 90% of the new pokemon, not sure what it is but somethings off :(

most of them look bat-ass stupid?

go to serebii and click the first spoiler box bit, 2 new pokemon - also look knobends. Theyve spent years making this, it looks like they just drew the first things that came to their heads.

firepig + smugleaf are pretty cool designs, munnas evolution, green jelly blob thing, pidgeon, kibago, hawk + legendaries look awesome.

rest look like shit.

i think it's their eyes, in the original games most of the pokemons eyes were pretty traditional jp anime eyes... now half of them in the b/w games look like theyre on crack

OMG Aero said:
I pretty much do. Here's my routine on Pokemon B/W threads:

- See a thread title with BW news
- See that some bit of news is groundbreaking, earth shattering and relevant to my interests
- Click thread, look at first sentence of each dot point in OP
- If the first sentence dot point suggests story details/ new pokemon / new move details, I glance away, try my hardest to forget and scroll down
- Repeat until I read about the information I want
- Have a mini geek-out
- Read new replies on the topic I'm interested in, ignore others, scroll over ones with images
- Complain about the layout of the OP

I'm not saying it's a perfect system, but I have a system.

Linkified

Neo Child said:
most of them look bat-ass stupid?

go to serebii and click the first spoiler box bit, 2 new pokemon - also look knobends. Theyve spent years making this, it looks like they just drew the first things that came to their heads.

firepig + smugleaf are pretty cool designs, munnas evolution, green jelly blob thing, pidgeon, kibago, hawk + legendaries look awesome.

rest look like shit.

i think it's their eyes, in the original games most of the pokemons eyes were pretty traditional jp anime eyes... now half of them in the b/w games look like theyre on crack

For instance the plant owl one looks like something I would expect to see in a virtual pet game not pokemon. Theres a few that have that cheap web look though.

beje

Banned
Akainu said:
Can't infinite tm's potentially be completely broken?

Not if they manage to balance it out with other limitations: only usable at a Pokémon Center PC, harder to find, can only use them once per day/week...

Neo Child

Banned
Linkified said:
For instance the plant owl one looks like something I would expect to see in a virtual pet game not pokemon. Theres a few that have that cheap web look though.

yeh... what the fuck is this too
miruhoggu-werbetrailer.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wichu said:
As TMs are now infinite use, I can see these things happening:
- Brand new TM list.
- Only one of each TM can be obtained.
- TMs cannot be transferred from 4th gen games (when attempting to transfer a Pokémon holding a TM, it will tell you to remove it first).
- TMs cannot be held (and therefore cannot be traded), just like HMs.
- TMs (and HMs) can only be used at a PC in a Pokémon Centre (to avoid abusing them for PP restoration and Elite 4 runs).

I agree with this. The radical change of TMs imply that they will be unique and most likely cannot be purchased, but rather found/given, and that you cannot bring them over to other games (only via teaching the mon before sending him to another game would make it work).

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Akainu said:
Can't infinite tm's potentially be completely broken?
Not if you're kept from obtaining the strongest ones until the post-game.

And honestly, what kind of loser uses up TMs to clear the quest anyway?

Those wondering about Luvdisc's evolution- it'll probably need an Incense in order to breed, an Incense that's unobtainable until post-E4.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Mush said:
/raises hand
I did it once on FireRed. Because fuck Gary in that game.

Green Scar said:
Those wondering about Luvdisc's evolution- it'll probably need an Incense in order to breed, an Incense that's unobtainable until post-E4.
IIRC, only pre-evos introduced after gen 2 have required incense. Luvdisc isn't a pre-evo.

D-Pad

[...] different areas of the map will be accessible during different seasons. It shows that during the winter, enough snow will pile up to allow you to go on top of a cliff.
1gnd6x.jpg

Except, ya know, out of our control. XP I'm a pretty impatient guy. Waiting a couple of months to access an area I pass all the time is going to be torture!

Also fuzzy-spherebat thing will never be able to replace Zubat, no matter how cute, round, and irresistable it may be. That posh looking catepillar thing looks like it has potential to evolve into something cool. The rest of the Pokemon look cool, besides the two I said I disliked before (the stalagmite- and goth-looking pokemon).

Team Plasma... No way am I going to be able to take them seriously in that get-up. Maybe this was intentional. :lol

Deru power sounds amazing. The more I think about the possibilities the more excited about it I get. I definately going to get me in on some of that high-link action.

kman3000

Linkified said:
Plant Owl was fake.

Anth0ny

D-Pad said:
http://i33.tinypic.com/1gnd6x.jpg[/I MG]

Except, ya know, out of our control. XP I'm a pretty impatient guy. Waiting a couple of months to access an area I pass all the time is going to be torture! [/QUOTE]

dat internal clock

At least I hope we can do that.

Verilligo

beje said:
I'm happy to see this thing I drew some months ago is not going to happen:
Y'know how we're supposed to only see new pokemon before finishing the Elite 4? Would that mean that we actually WON'T have to fight this time with a Fisherman that somehow thinks a team of six Magikarp is the most awesome thing in all creation? ...would that mean that the Old Rod will actually get us DECENT catches? Have we finally sent Magikarp into extinction in some small, sacred section of the planet?

TheOGB

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
:lol

Shiggie said:
The Owl plant is confirmed fake. Just so you know.
Plant owl and Rockfish were both fake. I don't know if the sprite for Rocky is also fake.

Verilligo said:
Y'know how we're supposed to only see new pokemon before finishing the Elite 4? Would that mean that we actually WON'T have to fight this time with a Fisherman that somehow thinks a team of six Magikarp is the most awesome thing in all creation? ...would that mean that the Old Rod will actually get us DECENT catches? Have we finally sent Magikarp into extinction in some small, sacred section of the planet?
No silly, they just got a fresh coat of paint and a new lease on (a terrible, miserable, pathetic) life.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
viciouskillersquirrel said:
I pretty much do. Here's my routine on Pokemon B/W threads:

- See a thread title with BW news
- See that some bit of news is groundbreaking, earth shattering and relevant to my interests
- Click thread, look at first sentence of each dot point in OP
- If the first sentence dot point suggests story details/ new pokemon / new move details, I glance away, try my hardest to forget and scroll down
- Repeat until I read about the information I want
- Have a mini geek-out
- Read new replies on the topic I'm interested in, ignore others, scroll over ones with images
- Complain about the layout of the OP

I'm not saying it's a perfect system, but I have a system.
Your system sucks and you have nobody but yourself to blame for getting "spoiled".

Galang

Banned
Shiggie said:
The Owl plant is confirmed fake. Just so you know.

This is good news, it's the only one so far that I really really hated.

Most of the Pokemon I really liked from previous generations were always revealed after the game hit. There's no way I can really judge if I really like designs or not so far, especially considering most of the Pokemon shown will probably have evolutions.

Firestorm

Boney said:
You too rawr!!
Well, I'm just saying it's not broken. As far as I'm concerned I always had infinite TMs with trading around... This isn't that major a change for me. I never really used TMs during the main quest but maybe I'll do so now. The game has always been fairly easy in the main quest.

Boney

Banned
Firestorm said:
Well, I'm just saying it's not broken. As far as I'm concerned I always had infinite TMs with trading around... This isn't that major a change for me. I never really used TMs during the main quest but maybe I'll do so now. The game has always been fairly easy in the main quest.
I said rawr!

But yeah I agree, it should be a non issue.

Top Bottom