• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Black & White (Thread #3) - Seasons, Infinite-use TMs, Deru Powah, and More

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Dream World might be the best change for the metagame. Imagine Flareon with useful ability like Huge Power instead of Flash Fire
lolz 260 attack, it will never happen.
, or Dragonite with Thick Fat.

The fact that they're changing older abilities, like Sturdy (which will now function like Focus Sash when a Pokemon is at full health), gives me hope that many old Pokemon won't be forgotten in favor of the new generation.

Kurtofan said:
Weather animations are replaced by icons.

OH.MY.GOD

Seriously this is too good to be true. If they get rid of HM's I'm going to go nuts.

kyo_daikun said:
I thought the point of the ability was for example, ok my enemy just sent out a gardevoir i'll use dark pulse and own it!

Zomg it was really a zoruark and it my move did hardly any damage because it wasn't the type of pokemon i thought it was, basically its good at nullifying an attack, you then move it back into your party and im guessing its ability will activate again and you can do the same thing, its an ok ability.

It they give him good stats, a decent movepool, and a stat boosting move (swords dance, calm mind, nasty plot) it has the potential to be devastating. Imagine the best case scenario.

Send out Zoru into Tyranitar
Opponent switches thinking it is Infernape
Nasty Plot/Swords Dance (Infernape learns both of these, so they wouldn't yet catch on)
Opponent uses X
Does negligable damage to Zoru... Zoru used Nasty Plot/Swords Dance
Opponent realizes what happened and now has to deal with a +4 boosted Pokemon.

The only problem would be faster Pokemon/priority but you could work around that. Perhaps a paralysis team.

Galang

Banned
Ice Body will really compliment my glaceon well! I'm just worried the dream world will mess up some of the pokemon on my team with all the ability switches.

Galang said:
Ice Body will really compliment my glaceon well! I'm just worried the dream world will mess up some of the pokemon on my team with all the ability switches.

Dream World is separate from Pokeshifter.

I'm actually more worried that Dream World will make some of my old buddies obsolete. A fair amount of Pokemon in my Soulsilver game go as far back as Ruby.

Eteric Rice

So, did they get rid of HMs?

Because that's the problem I have with Pokemon. Always having to take up one slot for the HM slave is retarded.

Cynar

Ushojax said:
I still don't understand why they can't just have the weather effect on permanently. A little icon is a good idea but they could make the battles much more atmospheric with some actual weather that stays visible for the duration.

yup, I would've rathered have had rain shown all the time

ColtraineGF said:
I don't know if anyone has posted this, but in the first video on this page detailing Hydration Vaporeon/Ice Body Glaceon

http://www.pokemon.jp/portal/html/summer10/eievui/

it shows that Vaporeon has a sleep animation (which would lead to every Poke having one). I wonder if there will be other animations for other status conditions.

So they slow down the animation and close the Pokemon's eyes? I hope they do actual sleep animations, seeing a Swellow sleep-flying would be too weird.

udivision

Green Scar said:
So they slow down the animation and close the Pokemon's eyes? I hope they do actual sleep animations, seeing a Swellow sleep-flying would be too weird.

Pokemon Stadium had that going on.

thefil

Just came in to post that this game sounds hella cool. I had planned on only catching new Pokemon this time around, but apparently that's going to be the case for everyone. :lol

I had a lot of fun with SoulSilver and pretty much loathed Platinum after the first few hours, so I hope this feels more like the former.

mooooose

Why is this game such a huge improvement? Really, this is as big a leap as Gen 1 to Gen 4... I'm more than happy that a ton of things are getting fixed and improved on but what inspiried GameFreak to even do all this?

mooooose said:
Why is this game such a huge improvement? Really, this is as big a leap as Gen 1 to Gen 4... I'm more than happy that a ton of things are getting fixed and improved on but what inspiried GameFreak to even do all this?
Probably 3 reasons:
1. They are used to the DS by now, they can probably spend less time on some things (graphics) and focus on other things.
2. GameFreak always brings in minor/major changes every new gen.
3. GameFreak makes new gen more appealing, game brings in lots of $$$, GameFreak uses the cash to improve base game more, bring in more $$$, wash, rinse, repeat.

NeonZ

mooooose said:

Every previous generation was released for a new hardware. This is the first one that will be limited by old hardware, so they need to justify this new generation by changing more elements than the other ones did.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
ColtraineGF said:
Probably 3 reasons:
1. They are used to the DS by now, they can probably spend less time on some things (graphics) and focus on other things.
2. GameFreak always brings in minor/major changes every new gen.
3. GameFreak makes new gen more appealing, game brings in lots of $$$, GameFreak uses the cash to improve base game more, bring in more $$$, wash, rinse, repeat.

Number 1 I can see, but in truth, we should really be on Gen 13 or something based on all these changes that should have happened a long time ago. So many archaic design choices.

The game will sell regardless of what they change, thus, they don't really have to change anything. Still, that con only last so long.

I really doubt that it's a money issue. They rake in the cash regardless of what they change and they always have.

jrricky

Banned
So...what are we going to be able to make in this game? for eg. apricorns for pokeballs, berries for cures and boosting pokemon stats etc...

Wiseblade

SuperAngelo64 said:
That would suck since the only Pokemon that can take down Garchomp with ease in Tyranitar, which has Sand Stream.

What world is this in? There isn't a standard Tyranitar set capable of switching in on Garchomp. Tyraniboah is the only thing that comes close, but it definitely doesn't work as a counter. It's bloody Garchomp, for goodness sake.

Note: Bloody has to be my absolute favourite expletive ever.

Wiseblade said:
What world is this in? There isn't a standard Tyranitar set capable of switching in on Garchomp. Tyraniboah is the only thing that comes close, but it definitely doesn't work as a counter. It's bloody Garchomp, for goodness sake.

Note: Bloody has to be my absolute favourite expletive ever.

My Dragondance/Outrage Tyranitar usually OHKO's Garchomps and Dragonites.

But I could just be fighting people with really shitty Garchomps and Dragonites.

SuperAngelo64 said:
That would suck since the only Pokemon that can take down Garchomp with ease in Tyranitar, which has Sand Stream.

Weaville/Mamoswine with Ice Shard can... unless Garchomp uses a Yache Berry -_-

Scizor can also do a lot of damage with Bullet Punch.

Gravijah

"Mijumaru has a high Attack stat and they speculate that its final evolution may be Water / Fighting."

OH HO HO HO HO MOTHER FUCKERS

upandaway

Gravijah said:
"Mijumaru has a high Attack stat and they speculate that its final evolution may be Water / Fighting."

OH HO HO HO HO MOTHER FUCKERS
Fighting is kind of overused on starters as is. Not that Water/Ice will be better but y'know.

I can see it happen based on his second evolution

Firestorm

SuperAngelo64 said:
My Dragondance/Outrage Tyranitar usually OHKO's Garchomps and Dragonites.

But I could just be fighting people with really shitty Garchomps and Dragonites.
Well, that means you already set up Tyranitar. He can't come in on a Garchomp seeing as Garchomp has a STAB super-effective Earthquake, gets Sand Veil as soon as T-Tar switches in, and either resists or is neutral to all of T-Tar's common attacks with his absolutely bullshit defenses.

Garchomp is such a troll.

Gravijah

upandaway said:
Fighting is kind of overused on starters as is. Not that Water/Ice will be better but y'know.

I can see it happen based on his second evolution

SHHHHHH

WATER/FIGHTING MANG, GIVE ME IT GAME FREAK

I'm floating on ecstasy, having just beat Bayonetta for the first time. Currently looping the Space Harrier theme in the sound gallery.

Firestorm

Gravijah said:
SHHHHHH

WATER/FIGHTING MANG, GIVE ME IT GAME FREAK
i7B7g.png

upandaway said:
He's ok

Water just sucks in general so I guess he's about as good as water/fighting can be

???

Water is one of the best types in the entire game, both in terms of defense and offense.

D-Pad

upandaway said:
He's ok

Water just sucks in general so I guess he's about as good as water/fighting can be
gby006.gif

I saw weather animations in the videos and panicked, but I then I realized that it's probably just a first time only thing.

I think this video is pretty new. It just popped up on /vp/. It's from the Japanese Pokemon Yahoo site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1H1xriRFzk&feature=player_embedded#!

upandaway

SuperAngelo64 said:
I think this video is pretty new. It just popped up on /vp/. It's from the Japanese Pokemon Yahoo site.

Battle music = yes

Anth0ny

SuperAngelo64 said:

pause at 3:00

goatse-mon confirmed. Thanks for pointing that out /vp/, you assholes, I'll never unsee :lol

This is almost as bad as that time they pointed it out in Lttp:

gzl.jpg

*shudders*

SuperAngelo64 said:

Simultaneous damage in double battles? I'll take it. Although that does remove a tool for figuring out relative speeds.

Shiggie

HiddenWings said:
Simultaneous damage in double battles? I'll take it. Although that does remove a tool for figuring out relative speeds.
Are you talking about the worm poké? Because that's it's ability.

Vice

NeonZ said:
Every previous generation was released for a new hardware. This is the first one that will be limited by old hardware, so they need to justify this new generation by changing more elements than the other ones did.
I thought Gold and Silver were Gameboy titles with enhancements when put inside a GBC.

NeonZ

Vice said:
I thought Gold and Silver were Gameboy titles with enhancements when put inside a GBC.

Yes, they were playable on the standard GB, but they still had those GBC enhancements. This would be the equivalent of releasing Gold and Silver only as GB games.

Shiggie

NeonZ said:
Yes, they were playable on the standard GB, but they still had those GBC enhancements. This would be the equivalent of releasing Gold and Silver only as GB games.
Dont forget B&W's DSi enhancements.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So I decided to watch the anime's current arc.

...why can't all episodes be like this? Battle battle battle battle. Battles are awesome, why do I have to wait four years for the good shit to happen?

upandaway said:
He's ok

First you say Zoru has a useless ability, and now you say Water is a bad type?

I'm guessing you only play ingame... please tell me that is the case because Water is one of the better offensive/defensive types in the metagame.

Hmm what even resists Water/Fighting besides Dragon/Flying? Mijumaru has the potential to be an absolute monster if he gets a physical Ice type attack and some decent speed.

Top Bottom