• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Black & White (Thread #3) - Seasons, Infinite-use TMs, Deru Powah, and More

upandaway

Wichu said:
Fair enough. However, you could still abuse it if HMs were deletable and could be taught anywhere: imagine you're going through the Elite Four, and you run out of PP of Surf. You could just overwrite Surf with Waterfall, then Waterfall with Surf again, and voila: instant PP restoration for free.
You could practically do that right now with the appropriate TMs. And regardless, I am always in favor of tricks and abuses that make it easier on players.

Wichu said:
Fair enough. However, you could still abuse it if HMs were deletable and could be taught anywhere: imagine you're going through the Elite Four, and you run out of PP of Surf. You could just overwrite Surf with Waterfall, then Waterfall with Surf again, and voila: instant PP restoration for free.

Wouldn't the same count for powerful TMs that you can reuse?

Wichu

Neoriceisgood said:
Wouldn't the same count for powerful TMs that you can reuse?
I have a feeling they'll limit TMs and HMs to only be usable at PCs for that reason. But now that I think about it, if they make HMs deletable normally (with restrictions), but only learnable at certain locations, it would save a lot of trouble :)

Andrex said:
The manga basically is the games, though. If anything, the manga needs an anime adaptation.

That would be so awesome. Pokémon fights in which pokémon FIGHT. Bastards being BASTARDS. Shit actually happening. Elite 4 being psychopaths. And more importantly, STEROIDS.

So awesome.

A Link to the Snitch said:
For the love of God Nintendo make HMs into TMs so we don't have to ever ever ever go through some convoluted bullcrap to erase them and get old moves back.

Only thing that can be considered remotely "convoluted" is getting old moves back. Erasing HMs is straightforward in comparison, you just find the guy and ask.

Galang

Banned
Wiseblade said:
Wow, I just realised. Pikachu won't be immediately available in this game. :lol

That's kind of weird to imagine!

I wonder what abilities they'll give Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle from the Dream World. I personally really hate all the abilities that only boost stats when HP is low, so anything to me will be probably be an improvement.

Big One

Banned
Wiseblade said:
Wow, I just realised. Pikachu won't be immediately available in this game. :lol
I thought Dream World was before National Dex? At least that's where I got the impression. Not saying Pikachu is in the Isshu Dex, but you could probably get him in Dream World under a ??? number.

just turn HMs into a separate natural ability

aka a bit on their info pages where it's like "this pokemon can swim/fly/illuminate/break rocks/etc."

you still need to beat a gym leader to unlock the ability but it's now an inherent species trait

D-Pad

EmCeeGramr said:

aka a bit on their info pages where it's like "this pokemon can swim/fly/illuminate/break rocks/etc."

you still need to beat a gym leader to unlock the ability but it's now an inherent species trait
As long as they don't make HM moves a requirement for Victory Road. Shit sucks when I reach VR's final battle and only have 1/2 of my team with me.

Firestorm

Wichu said:
Why are you speaking as if single player is balanced or even needs to be balanced?

Varion

thefil said:
If anyone planning to import? I'm considering it, but I'm worried it wouldn't run on my DSi...
Confirmed to be region locked for DSi/XL so yeah, unless you have a Japanese one it won't run.

I'm importing it but my XL is Japanese anyway so.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
EDIT: No worries, I'll post in the official fanart thread.

I would love to import, but knowing Nintendo the DSi features will be just enough to prevent this game from being region free. The wait will be agonizing though. ;_;

Varion said:
Confirmed to be region locked for DSi/XL so yeah, unless you have a Japanese one it won't run.

I'm importing it but my XL is Japanese anyway so.

I don't think that was confirmed anywhere...

TheOGB

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:

Are you reading this, GameFreak? Nintendo? Anybody?

Gravijah said:
It's DSi enhanced, isn't it? Doesn't that basically confirm it?

Well it's a DS game with DSi exclusive features...I think I read somewhere that only those features are region-locked but everything else acts like normal DS games do

Ondore

OK, since Serebii's site does not allow copy/paste, I'll summarize what I saw there: A book coming out in Japan on the 10th of September has passwords that unlock Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle in the Dream World.

Of course, this being the Dream World, they'll have alternate abilities.

I'll open the bidding at the following:
Bulbasaur - Leaf Guard
Charmander - Flame Body
Squirtle - Intimidate (The Squirtle Squad + Blastoise's FUCKHUGE cannons = I'd be intimidated)

Vanille

Zoramon089 said:

It was confirmed by NCSX.

Zoramon089 said:
Well it's a DS game with DSi exclusive features...I think I read somewhere that only those features are region-locked but everything else acts like normal DS games do

Nope, the entire game is locked.

Gravijah

Ondore said:
OK, since Serebii's site does not allow copy/paste, I'll summarize what I saw there: A book coming out in Japan on the 10th of September has passwords that unlock Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle in the Dream World.

Of course, this being the Dream World, they'll have alternate abilities.

I'll open the bidding at the following:
Bulbasaur - Leaf Guard
Charmander - Flame Body
Squirtle - Intimidate (The Squirtle Squad + Blastoise's FUCKHUGE cannons = I'd be intimidated)

You know, you can press ctrl+c and ctrl+v to copy/paste, right?

Like so!

Pokémon Black & White - Kanto Starter Givaway

A new book coming out on September 10th in Japan, containing articles and interviews about Pokémon Black & White in addition to an introduction of various game elements, is going to include some passwords for the Pokémon Global Link's Dream World which will allow you to transfer and capture a Bulbasaur, Charmander or Squirtle from the Dream World into your Black and/or White games. Like the other Dream World Pokémon, these starters have alternate abilities to normal. We'll provide more details as and when they're out. Click the picture to read up on the Dream World

Also, if you ever want images off of Serebii and you use firefox, go to tools->page info->media and then it'll list everything on the page. He doesn't own most (any?) of the stuff since a good portion of it is ripped from the games, corocoro or other sources, so I don't see the big deal.

Shiggie

I just had to post this.:lol :lol
R3RuY.jpg

Wiseblade

Man, I really hope GF introduce a way to inherit abilities when breeding. Then, introduce and ability that increases a Poké's speed when hit with a fire attack and give it to Blaziken.

Regarding PP, I think it should be restored after battle anyway, and just have reduced allowances PER battle. Like a move that has 15 now, has 5 or 10 in that system.

Otherwise, how is it fair, at all, to go up against the Elite Four, and find yourself at the champion with no PP for half your moves, yet he has full PP because he hasn't had to do any battling yet? Talk about a home advantage!

I'd like to see PP and HP both restored after battles, and just make trainer AI and levels higher throughout the game. So every battle is a challenge to overcome, but you can go into each battle without any disadvantages.

Seriously, its annoying to have to go back to a Pokemon centre after getting halfway through a trainer filled area to go and "refuel".

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Android18a said:
find yourself at the champion with no PP for half your moves
Stop plowing through the game with one Pokemon then!

All I use my Ethers/Elixirs for these days is on Spore when legendary hunting. Stupid Pressure.

Ever since the advent of Leppa Berries, I don't see how that's really an issue.

I remember screwing myself over in RBY because the only Pokemon I used was a Charizard with Cut/Mega Punch/Fissure/Mega Kick.

Sixfortyfive

I am pretty sure I had a Pikachu with Thundershock/Thunderwave/Thunderbolt/Thunder at some point.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Zoramon089 said:

Yeah it was, we have the product code, and the fact that there are DSi features guarantees a total region lock on DSi units. It will still play on a standard DS or a Lite.

Sixfortyfive said:
I am pretty sure I had a Pikachu with Thundershock/Thunderwave/Thunderbolt/Thunder at some point.

I think most of us had some sort of moveset like that back in the Red and Blue days.

I for one fondly remember my Charizard with his epic Slash/Fire Blast/Fire Spin/Flamethrower.

Sixfortyfive

I actually played through Yellow like a year ago. Let's see what I've got on the team. *boots GB*

Blastoise: Bite / Tail Whip / Withdraw / Hydro Pump

Man, some of the level-up movepools sucked back then. I mean, even discounting the fact that I wasn't using TMs, that's still pretty terrible.

Pappasman

Ushojax said:
Yeah it was, we have the product code, and the fact that there are DSi features guarantees a total region lock on DSi units. It will still play on a standard DS or a Lite.

it'll work on a regular DS lite? that's awesome.

Gravijah

vectorman06 said:
Nothing new wont be revealed, if you didn't follow the leaked coro coro info.

nothing new won't be revealed?

ARE YOU SAYING SOMETHING NEW WILL BE REVEALED?

OH GOD STOP THE PRESSES GUYS, NEW INFORMATION! YES! WOOHOO!

Well I changed my mind and just ordered all of the Manga on Amazon. They are having a 4 for 3 promotion right now which I didn't even know about until I checked out.

I thought I was going to get 8 volumes for $65, but instead I'm going to get 12 volumes for $65!

Pokémon Diamond & Pearl Adventure Volumes 4, 5, 6, 7
Pokémon Adventures Volumes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Subtotal of Items: $95.88
Shipping & Handling: $14.88
4-for-3 Promotion: -$15.98
Super Saver Discount: -$14.88
------
Total: $79.90
Gift Cards: -$15.00
------
Total for this Order: $64.90

I already own 1 & 2 in the old version but decided I wanted the new one. :D

I know this has nothing to do with Black & White...but who knows when we'll get those Manga. We'll be lucky if Viz decides to start translating it concurrently like they are doing with Gold/Silver and Diamond/Pearl.

Firestorm

SuperAngelo64 said:
Anyone else watching Pokemon Sunday?

Right now they're showing the boring repeat of the animu.
Why watch Pokemon Sunday when I can watch VGC :O

Pokémon Diamond & Pearl Adventure Volumes 4, 5, 6, 7
Wrong manga. That's not a part of the Pokemon Adventures / Pokemon Special series. I'd cancel it if I were you.

Firestorm said:
Why watch Pokemon Sunday when I can watch VGC :O

Wrong manga. That's not a part of the Pokemon Adventures / Pokemon Special series. I'd cancel it if I were you.

Dude I know that! I own DP Adventure 1, 2, and 3. It's actually pretty funny sometimes. Hareta & Mitsumi <3

Ironically that's like the same price I'm spending on importing Pokémon White. Barnes & Noble sucks, they only have a tiny ass manga section and they only had DP Adventure 6 sitting there...damaged -_-;

SalsaShark said:
Was about to watch Pokemon Sunday but.. im lazy. Ill trust you on posting the news (if any) here.

I guess this is news, from pokejungle:

Pokemon cardboard boxes were confirmed to have the different packaging, while the plastic box will have the previously released boxart.

Top Bottom