• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Black & White (Thread #3) - Seasons, Infinite-use TMs, Deru Powah, and More

Regulus Tera said:
So I decided to watch the anime's current arc.

...why can't all episodes be like this? Battle battle battle battle. Battles are awesome, why do I have to wait four years for the good shit to happen?

Yeah, it's amazing how many eps, often in a row, don't feature any real battling other than sending Team Rocket packing again.

I hope the new season puts an emphasis back onto the battles.

I didn't watch the Advance years of Pokemon, but got back into it with Sinnoh League Victors.

Slermy

Shiggie said:
Pokéjungle Translated the Japanese site.

"Moguryuu’s abilities BOTH activate when sandstorm is active ‘Sand Scatter’ raising speed and ‘Sand Power’ raising the base attack for ground, rock, steel type moves."

Wait, what? Has this been confirmed? Do all Pokémon with two possible abilities now have both at the same time?

upandaway

Obsessed said:
First you say Zoru has a useless ability, and now you say Water is a bad type?

I'm guessing you only play ingame... please tell me that is the case because Water is one of the better offensive/defensive types in the metagame.

Hmm what even resists Water/Fighting besides Dragon/Flying? Mijumaru has the potential to be an absolute monster if he gets a physical Ice type attack and some decent speed.
I just don't like the type. What's so hard to grasp about that

Vhalyar

Slermy said:
Wait, what? Has this been confirmed? Do all Pokémon with two possible abilities now have both at the same time?
You're reading it wrong. He's saying that both abilities require Standstorm to be active before kicking in, not that both can be active at the same time. Pokejungle could have phrased it better, bleh.

Vhalyar said:
You're reading it wrong. He's saying that both abilities require Standstorm to be active before kicking in, not that both can be active at the same time. Pokejungle could have phrased it better, bleh.

I don't like the steel type, all the steel pokemon look dirty.

Slermy

Vhalyar said:

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

upandaway said:
I just don't like the type. What's so hard to grasp about that

Maybe it was stating your opinion of a type as fact... I don't know but "I personally dislike the water type" is a very different statement from "Water is a bad type."

upandaway

Obsessed said:
Maybe it was stating your opinion of a type as fact... I don't know but "I personally dislike the water type" is a very different statement from "Water is a bad type."
Aren't you too hung up on details? Obviously I wasn't objectively saying Water's bad.

upandaway said:
Aren't you too hung up on details? Obviously I wasn't objectively saying Water's bad.

How was that supposed to be obvious?

Charizard is a bad Pokemon... tell me in what way I mean bad. If you guess right I will concede that the meaning of your statement should have been obvious.

upandaway

Obsessed said:
How was that supposed to be obvious?

Charizard is a bad Pokemon... tell me in what way I mean bad. If you guess right I will concede that the meaning of your statement should have been obvious.
"water sucks" -> "i don't like water"
I think discussing it any further is just silly, there are much better things we could both do right now

(and sorry for conveniently trying to have the last word but we really need to stop this)

ivysaur12

Banned
Slermy said:

I got the impression that it meant that whatever ability he has, both are activated via Sandstorm.

Teknoman

Cool that the weather appears once and then has an icon...but it would've been nice if the weather was constantly displayed on screen until it wore off.

Not like the older versions where it happens each turn, but just stays as a background environment effect. Looks like there is some sort of background animation going on though.

EDIT: Dynamic battle music too?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
...shit, Ash is fucking balling now.

Seriously he comes up with the fucking craziest ideas. I wish the anime were a video game.

TheOGB said:
Pohkaymon

Why are they advertising a game that came out in March?

Surprise simultaneous worldwide launch of Black & White ZOMG!

Gravijah

Boney said:
You read the pokemon manga?

Are you perhaps.. this person?

Pokemon_GSC_Pokefan%E2%99%82.png

You don't? You're missing out, boy! Get to reading it!

Salsa

The Pokemon manga is awesome.

Even Tajiri said that the first volumes are as close as it gets to what he had originally in mind when conceiving the whole idea.

How many edits does the manga have now?

I bought the first 2 volumes from Amazon a few years back. I've been thinking about buying the new ones. I've seen stuff that I thought was kinda risque in the Diamond & Pearl Adventure Manga I have, but I haven't bought any of that in a while. I really don't want to buy any edited Pokémon manga...

Barnes & Noble seems to barely even have a shelf for manga these days, so the only place I can get it from is Amazon.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
They should stop reusing characters in the manga though. Kill the old characters or have them retire!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I read like ten chapters of the manga and it was awesome but I had to stop because that place I read it at no longer had it. :(

Ookami-kun said:
They should stop reusing characters in the manga though. Kill the old characters or have them retire!

They sort of did that during the DPP arc.
None of the original characters showed, it was just Diamond, Dawn, and Barry.
Speaking of manga, BW manga will be in next month's issue of coro coro. Male trainer has a Smugleaf :)

Edit: I should probally put a spoiler tag for those who dont read the manga :x

Wichu

A Link to the Snitch said:
For the love of God Nintendo make HMs into TMs so we don't have to ever ever ever go through some convoluted bullcrap to erase them and get old moves back.
[while surfing]
BLASTOISE forgot Surf! ... BLASTOISE learned Hydro Pump!

[starts sinking]

... yeah. You could get stuck in remote locations too, assuming that they make TMs only learnable at a certain place (to avoid abuse).

Wiseblade

I'm not really all that bothered about HMs, maybe because I've never felt like I actually needed more that 4 slots and half of them are more than usable in the main game. I wouldn't expect them to be gone either. they're a legacy feature of the series, encourage type diversity in teams and "ride on the back of your Pokémon across the oceans!" makes a nice bullet point.

upandaway

Wichu said:
[while surfing]
BLASTOISE forgot Surf! ... BLASTOISE learned Hydro Pump!

[starts sinking]

... yeah. You could get stuck in remote locations too, assuming that they make TMs only learnable at a certain place (to avoid abuse).
"BLASTOISE can't forget this move right now because it's in use!/you need it to escape!"

Oh, wait, circumstantial dialogue is too complicated for Pokemon.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I view HMs as a legacy in the same way I view hereditary diseases as legacies.

Wichu

upandaway said:
"BLASTOISE can't forget this move right now because it's in use!/you need it to escape!"

Oh, wait, circumstantial dialogue is too complicated for Pokemon.

Fair enough. However, you could still abuse it if HMs were deletable and could be taught anywhere: imagine you're going through the Elite Four, and you run out of PP of Surf. You could just overwrite Surf with Waterfall, then Waterfall with Surf again, and voila: instant PP restoration for free.

Top Bottom