• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Black & White (Thread #3) - Seasons, Infinite-use TMs, Deru Powah, and More

upandaway

Zorua’s Illusion ability transforms you into the second Pokemon you’re holding but even if it looks like another Pokemon it says “What will Zorua do?” Illusion’s effect is that when Zorua is hit by an attack that causes damage, even if it is weak, Illusion breaks. While you’re disguised, you don’t even become the transformed Pokemon’s type nor can you use its moves. In the demo, Zorua knows Faint Attack and Fury Swipes.

what a shitty ability
major disappointment

Parts

upandaway said:
Zorua’s Illusion ability transforms you into the second Pokemon you’re holding but even if it looks like another Pokemon it says “What will Zorua do?” Illusion’s effect is that when Zorua is hit by an attack that causes damage, even if it is weak, Illusion breaks. While you’re disguised, you don’t even become the transformed Pokemon’s type nor can you use its moves. In the demo, Zorua knows Faint Attack and Fury Swipes.

what a shitty ability
major disappointment
This is an awesome ability! So much potential for metagame...

Pappasman

upandaway said:

what a shitty ability
major disappointment

Great. An ability that does nothing.

OMG Aero

upandaway said:
what a shitty ability
major disappointment
Not really. Unless there is an ability which sees through illusion, then there is no way of knowing when battling someone else whether they are using Zoroark or not. Depending on the way you play it, you could get the opponent to waste their first turn or even swap Pokemon just by tricking them.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Holy shit at the TM news. Wow.. I didn't even consider that a possibility.

All GF has to do now is get rid of the HM's, so I can for first time in my life enjoy a Pokemon game whilst using a genuine full roster.

If they do get rid of the HM's or at least make them less of a hindrance... this will be the Poke Game of the forever. And it's not even fucking close.

Talwind

upandaway said:

what a shitty ability
major disappointment

In terms of competitive battling, I can see it as big mindfuck. Predicting switch-ins and countering can get confusing.

Edit: OMG Aero just explained it.

Shiggie

Talwind said:
In terms of competitive battling, I can see it as big mindfuck. Predicting switch-ins and countering can get confusing.

Edit: OMG Aero just explained it.
Just nickname Zourark 'Mindfuck'. :lol

Soloist

Neo Member
AzureJericho said:
NON HYPE EDIt: Read all of the OP now and truly this is the GSC of our time.

Better. In GSC only half of the gym leaders in Johto had new pokemon. I particularly love the emphasis on having mostly new pokemon in the last 2 generations and B/W seem to be keeping this up. That and along w/ infinite TMs and the insane amount of new content/modes makes me hyped up for the pokemon generation of forever.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
upandaway said:

what a shitty ability
major disappointment
Say what?

We've known about this for a while, and it still sounds just as incredible as it did initially.

Wiseblade

Zorark's ability seems like it could have a lot of potential for messing with prediction but it seems really situational. To start with, you'd either have to put your best "bluff" Pokémon in the second slot or a really good pivot Pokémon and be careful how you switch things around in it.

Example: One of you Pokémon has been knocked out by a DD Tyranitar. Instead of using your CB Scizor in the second slot to revenge kill, you send out Zorark to bluff and get a NP in on the switch. All of a sudden your opponent realises too late that the Skarmory they just sent out is in serious trouble.

Green Scar said:
That's why you name all of your other Pokemon Mindfuck too.

If Illusion doesn't temporarily change the name too, then it'll be dissapointing.

Pappasman

upandaway said:
Zorua’s Illusion ability transforms you into the second Pokemon you’re holding but even if it looks like another Pokemon it says “What will Zorua do?”

doesn't this make the ability useless?

Firestorm

His is under the assumption that Zorua has a movepool for a good lead to back up that ability =P second Pokemon you'd want to be one that also functions as a lead commonly so they don't call your bluff.

PounchEnvy said:
I think it's finally time for Game Freak to put a skateboard in this game.

Now now, one step at a time. We all know Gamefreak is afraid of sudden changes. Wouldn't want them to stress themselves out.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
^Wait...

HOW COME NO ONE ASKED WHAT WILL BE THE FAST TRANSPORT IN THIS GAME?

What will be today's bikes?

Shiggie

Pokéjungle Translated the Japanese site.
The new information we got in CoroCoro has now been added to the official Japanese website for Black/White. If you wanna see some clear screenshots head on over to the site. Very little new information, but some confirmation on a few things:

Moguryuu’s abilities BOTH activate when sandstorm is active ‘Sand Scatter’ raising speed and ‘Sand Power’ raising the base attack for ground, rock, steel type moves.

Kurumiru’s ‘Bug Resistance’ attack hits two opponents and has a chance of lowering Sp Def.

They have also added a new video feature Global Link information which has not been previously seen. Here’s a quick summary:

Items you get in the dream world can be transferred over, the video showed a number of berries and Fresh Water being obtainable.

The Dream World also features short maps that you can traverse by clicking arrows (forwards/backwards/right/left) and encounter items/pokemon.

Your berry garden needs to be watered and I can’t help but be reminded of FarmVille.
Interior of your house can be decorated

You can add your friends and visit their houses over the internet and your pokemon can “hang out”.
‘
Global Battle Union’ is the name of the site portion which houses Rankings. They are updated continuously as you battle people and will show the results of your battle.

GBU battle video shows off Desukan and Doryuuzu again in a single battle against each other. Been waiting to see their animations :3

You can also add your friends, mail them, and interact in other ways

Wiseblade

Sand Throw: Doubles speed in a sandstorm

2zh3wc2.jpg

Gen 5 - All weather, all the time?

TheOGB

Banned
I almost hate bringing up the topic of location, but this is really something everyone should think about:

Manhattan's Chinatown is one of the largest and oldest ethnic Chinese communities outside of Asia. (from Wiki)

upandaway said:

what a shitty ability
major disappointment

I thought the point of the ability was for example, ok my enemy just sent out a gardevoir i'll use dark pulse and own it!

Zomg it was really a zoruark and it my move did hardly any damage because it wasn't the type of pokemon i thought it was, basically its good at nullifying an attack, you then move it back into your party and im guessing its ability will activate again and you can do the same thing, its an ok ability.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Yeah, I didn't even remotely like Zoroark until its ability was revealed. Now it's the first Pokemon I'm going to try out.

The trolling potential is so great.

Wichu

I can already see all the clueless kids being like 'WTF PIKACHU CAN'T LEARN NIGHT SLASH'.

It's a shame it (probably) doesn't 'copy' the ability (i.e. show the text, but not apply the effect); an Illusion of a Pokémon with Intimidate would be easy to identify if you're observant.

'WTF WHY YOUR REGIGIGAS NOT HAVE SLOW START'

OMG Aero

Your berry garden needs to be watered and I can’t help but be reminded of FarmVille.
Interior of your house can be decorated.
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I like the idea of growing berries in my web browser since it'll be easier to water them at the right time instead of having to turn on your DS just to do it. On the other hand, I really don't like the idea of not being able to grow berries without being on the internet and connecting to WFC to get them. I really think the best implementation of berries so far was HGSS's berry pots.
Wiseblade said:
Sand Throw: Doubles speed in a sandstorm

If ground types start getting abilities like this I hope we finally get non-legendary Pokemon with drought and drizzle. The biggest argument I've heard for not having them so far is that limitless rain is too overpowered due to water Pokemon abilities.

At the very least they should tweak sand stream and snow warning (Like maybe after the user of the ability leaves the field the weather reverts to a 5 turn limit again). I tried making a sunny day team in HGSS and feel like it could really do with a buff.

Wiseblade

OMG Aero said:
If ground types start getting abilities like this I hope we finally get non-legendary Pokemon with drought and drizzle. The biggest argument I've heard for not having them so far is that limitless rain is too overpowered due to water Pokemon abilities.

At the very least they should tweak sand stream and snow warning (Like maybe after the user of the ability leaves the field the weather reverts to a 5 turn limit again). I tried making a sunny day team in HGSS and feel like it could really do with a buff.

Sunny day teams really could do with a buff. I don't think it hits hard enough to justify the effort. A decent Fire/Grass would work wonders. As far as weather inducers, I always thought that Castform would eventually get a branched evolution for every weather inducing ability.

To be fair, constant rain would have been pretty broken this gen. Rain dance teams have major wall breaking power that could have been unstoppable with a drizzle pokemon to lead it. But with other weather teams knocking about that threat would be lessened.

Wiseblade said:

Gen 5 - Don't even bother playing on wifi.

Thank Colin for shoddy battle. I don't have time to sit through weather animations, and text reading "In case you didn't notice graphics it is sandstorming." "You're Pokemon is buffeted by the sandstorm."

Oh shit, I hope they fix the acid rain glitch. Pursuit is going to be the most hated move in the game.

Kurtofan

Obsessed said:

Thank Colin for shoddy battle. I don't have time to sit through weather animations, and text reading "In case you didn't notice graphics it is sandstorming." "You're Pokemon is buffeted by the sandstorm."
Weather animations are replaced by icons.

Obsessed said:

Oh shit, I hope they fix the acid rain glitch. Pursuit is going to be the most hated move in the game.

Well, they've replaced the weather information with a HUD displaying the current weather.

It really does seem like weather effects are becoming more and more prominent.

CoolS said:
Didn't know this yet O_O!
God, if they replaced HMs now this would really be the best Pokemon game EVER!
Seriously, I skipped the last few versions of Pokemon, but if they change the HM system to something a lot less annoying, I will buy this day one.
Sounds awesome so far.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Kurtofan said:
Weather animations are replaced by icons.

I still don't understand why they can't just have the weather effect on permanently. A little icon is a good idea but they could make the battles much more atmospheric with some actual weather that stays visible for the duration.

Wiseblade said:
To be fair, constant rain would have been pretty broken this gen. Rain dance teams have major wall breaking power that could have been unstoppable with a drizzle pokemon to lead it. But with other weather teams knocking about that threat would be lessened.

'Pretty' broken indeed. They ran a suspect test on Shoddy and a level 1 Kyogre completely and utterly broke the OU.

Whats everyone's favourite pokemon so far out of the new ones?

Im going to go for Tsutaja the grass starter, for some odd reason I love his smug look, just looks so damn confident!

kman3000

kyo_daikun said:
Whats everyone's favourite pokemon so far out of the new ones?

Im going to go for Tsutaja the grass starter, for some odd reason I love his smug look, just looks so damn confident!
I like Fraterpie and 420 Mole

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I really like Hihidaruma and Tsutaaja the best so far. Honestly most of the new Pokemon have been surprisingly good in my eyes, though I don't like Gigaiasu and HATE HATE HATE Mirohoggu.

...I still miss Sadfish though. Poor, poor Sadfish. :(

kman3000

SovanJedi said:
I really like Hihidaruma and Tsutaaja the best so far. Honestly most of the new Pokemon have been surprisingly good in my eyes, though I don't like Gigaiasu and HATE HATE HATE Mirohoggu.

...I still miss Sadfish though. Poor, poor Sadfish. :(
I love Miruhoggu :(

He looks like a safety patrol on crack.

Top Bottom