• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon: Gen 1 had some of the laziest, funniest, and dumbest names in Japan

600px-005Charmeleon.png

Lizard (リザード)

600px-014Kakuna.png

Cocoon (コクーン)

600px-017Pidgeotto.png

Pigeon (ピジョン)

600px-027Sandshrew.png

Sand (サンド) Yep... just fucking 'sand'.

078Rapidash.png

Gallop (ギャロップ)

093Haunter.png

Ghost (ゴースト)

096Drowzee.png

Sleep (スリープ)

098Krabby.png

Crab (クラブ)

126Magmar.png

Boober (ブーバー) because...the head looks like boobs?...

135Jolteon.png

Thunders (サンダース)

145Zapdos.png

Thunder (サンダー) ...not to be confused with the above.

146Moltres.png

Fire (ファイヤー)

151Mew.png

Mew (ミュウ), yes, take off the nostalgia shades; it's a cat-like Pokemon called 'Mew', that's sadly actually more unoriginal than 'Meowth'.

Yes, this is another one of my drunk threads.

Septic360

Banned
Fun fact. My friend named the Pokemon outside Japan. He also refuses to download Pokemon Go because of the fear that it will end his life haha

Thunder/Thunders is hilarious.

Fun fact. My friend named the Pokemon outside Japan. He also refuses to download Pokemon Go because of the fear that it will end his life haha

That was... Nob, right? Didn't he translate all the games up to Diamond and Pearl (which he filled with Something Awful references as an in-joke)? That's pretty cool that you know him.

EDIT: What did he think in Gen II when they added genders and made it so Mr. Mime could be female?

Amalthea

Banned
Yeah, I noticed this after getting a Japanese Pokemon Pinball cart a while ago.

"What's your favorite Pokemon?"

"Sand."

Lkr

surely the difference between Thunder and Thunders is a bit more pronounced in actual Japanese as opposed to the translation? either way it is p funny

Meffer

Also I believe Bulbasaur's name in Japanese is "Strange isn't it?" And Ivysaur's name is "Yes it is strange."

surely the difference between Thunder and Thunders is a bit more pronounced in actual Japanese as opposed to the translation? either way it is p funny

It's not, because they're using katakana english. Look at the text, it's only one symbol different.

My 4th graders always freak out when I tell them the difference between the American and Japanese names. They lose their shit when I tell them that Lizardon is called Charizard in America.

L Thammy

"That's the best thing about English. It doesn't mean anything!"

Is there a reason the images get increasingly larger? Like your case is literally building?
KuGsj.gif

I had to look at the OP again after reading this. I think OP is trying to trying to subliminally affect us.

BlueMagic

That's awesome. Imagine having that legacy behind you.
Could have done with more work on Ekan's and Arbok's name though. Just kidding of course.

It's the difference between "Thundaasu" and "Thundaa".

I had no idea they were named this. I only knew of Bulbasaur being named フシギダネ, fushigidane which at least works as a pun.

Boober is great, but in Gen II, Magby's Japanese name is literally "booby".

It's because they're based on this bird.

"Sandaa" versus "Sandaasu".

Also I believe Bulbasaur's name in Japanese is "Strange isn't it?" And Ivysaur's name is "Yes it is strange."

You're thinking of Wobbuffet and Wynaut.

I know it's Gen 2 but isn't Umbreon called "Blacky" in the Japanese games?

It is. Fun fact: "Blacky" is also the Japanese name of Foreman Spike from Wrecking Crew. Obviously the same connotations aren't really present, but to us... yeah...

Wiped89

I remember before Pokemon was properly localised, the first set of English names and the Pokemon were revealed, and they were pretty rubbish. They were later changed to the ones we know today before the game released.

Mr.Mime was Magic if I remember right and Chansey was Lucky. They were very close to the lame Japanese original names translated, just slightly improved in some cases.

No they aren't. Wobbuffet is "That's the way it is."

Oh, that might be right. Though not the same phrase, Wobbuffet and Wynaut's names were meant so that one is a question and the other's is a response.

I don't know if Bulbasaur is the same or not.

Bulbasaur's name is fushigidane, which can mean "isn't it strange" or something along those lines. Ivysaur's name is fushigisou, which can mean something like "it is strange".

Oh shoot, wow.

Fireblend

Banned

He did an outstanding job. I wonder if there's any interview available with him? That'd be fun to read about.

udivision

Pokemon confirmed to have the best localization, in an ironic twist. Jelly filled doughnuts for everyone on that team.

Syril

I remember before Pokemon was properly localised, the first set of English names and the Pokemon were revealed, and they were pretty rubbish. They were later changed to the ones we know today before the game released.

Mr.Mime was Magic if I remember right and Chansey was Lucky. They were very close to the lame Japanese original names translated, just slightly improved in some cases.
As you can see, the prototype names were working under a seven character limit, and while some of them are attempts of varying quality to fit within them, most of them aren't even trying. My favorite is the obvious attempt to localize Gyarados as "Skullkraken".

Wobbuffet's name is closer to "That's right" which is why it's always interjecting in Team Rocket conversations in the anime. Wynaut is more like "is it really?"
In Explorers of Sky there was a lottery run by a Wynaut and Wobbuffet, and the Wobbuffet would only say "That's right!", so they could only have coherent communication from the Wynaut prompting with the right questions.

Septic360

Banned
He did an outstanding job. I wonder if there's any interview available with him? That'd be fun to read about.

There are some interviews with him but in French on Youtube. Julien Bardakoff is his name. He's also the voice of Luigi in many games. Coolest guy ever.

L Thammy

While we're talking trivia about Pokemon names, here's some more. Pikachu apparently has specific nicknames for major characters in the anime, as well as some other consistent phrases.

Pika Pikachu or Pika-Pika Pikachu: My name is Pikachu. When Ash and his friends are introducing themselves to others, he says this.

Pikapi: Satoshi (Ash)

Pikachu-Pi: Kasumi (Misty)

Pika-Chu: Takeshi (Brock)

PiPiPi: Togepi

PikakaPika: Bulbasaur

PikaPika: Squirtle or Staraptor or Infernape

PiPi-kachu: Team Rocket

Pi-Pikachu: Gotta Catch em all! He says this after Ash wins a badge, catches a new Pokémon or anything similar.

Fireblend

Banned
As you can see, the prototype names were working under a seven character limit, and while some of them are attempts of varying quality to fit within them, most of them aren't even trying. My favorite is the obvious attempt to localize Gyarados as "Skullkraken".

lol @ pudding and custard.

Top Bottom