• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon: Gen 1 had some of the laziest, funniest, and dumbest names in Japan

It always seemed weird to me that Pokemon have such different names in different languages. It's like the Street Fighter issue x100.

As you can see, the prototype names were working under a seven character limit, and while some of them are attempts of varying quality to fit within them, most of them aren't even trying. My favorite is the obvious attempt to localize Gyarados as "Skullkraken".

I almost like "Slowmo" more than "Slowpoke" just because it rhymes.

It always seemed weird to me that Pokemon have such different names in different languages. It's like the Street Fighter issue x100.

It's for the best, really. A lot of them are puns that won't work in a different language, or just aren't memorable. What's more iconic, "Hey, it's Charmander!" or "Hey, it's Lizard!" Or easier to remember for a poisonous frog: "Croagunk" or "Greggle"?
IIRC it was his boss at the time who named Mr. Mime, and Nob specifically asked him about the chance they add genders in later games.

Holy shit.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
While we're talking trivia about Pokemon names, here's some more. Pikachu apparently has specific nicknames for major characters in the anime, as well as some other consistent phrases.

Pika Pikachu or Pika-Pika Pikachu: My name is Pikachu. When Ash and his friends are introducing themselves to others, he says this.

Pikapi: Satoshi (Ash)

Pikachu-Pi: Kasumi (Misty)

Pika-Chu: Takeshi (Brock)

PiPiPi: Togepi

PikakaPika: Bulbasaur

PikaPika: Squirtle or Staraptor or Infernape

PiPi-kachu: Team Rocket

Pi-Pikachu: Gotta Catch em all! He says this after Ash wins a badge, catches a new Pokémon or anything similar.

Can you imagine how many nicknames he can shout? I mean, it's not hexadecimal shit, but it's pretty close

GunBR

While we're talking trivia about Pokemon names, here's some more. Pikachu apparently has specific nicknames for major characters in the anime, as well as some other consistent phrases.

Pika Pikachu or Pika-Pika Pikachu: My name is Pikachu. When Ash and his friends are introducing themselves to others, he says this.

Pi-Pikachu: Gotta Catch em all! He says this after Ash wins a badge, catches a new Pokémon or anything similar.
Well, now I gonna spend my next weekend watching 20 episodes of classic Pokemon to check this

Rob2K19

Clearly Thunder evolves into Thunders.

My 4th graders always freak out when I tell them the difference between the American and Japanese names. They lose their shit when I tell them that Lizardon is called Charizard in America.

Lose their shit as in they are mad that the source material has been altered or just lose their shit in laughter?

brinstar

As you can see, the prototype names were working under a seven character limit, and while some of them are attempts of varying quality to fit within them, most of them aren't even trying. My favorite is the obvious attempt to localize Gyarados as "Skullkraken".

I get the intent behind "Ny" and "La" for Koffing and Weezing but that would've been fucking awful. lol

RomanceDawn

Wow for real!? This is pretty cool!

As for those old crappy localized Pokemon names. I remember when the anime first started in America 12 year old me found a list of all the Pokemon online with these names and mailed them in to 4kids saying they got the names wrong.

Griss

It's only funny because we speak English. To Japanese people, Raichu is just "Thunder Squeek".

Exactly. And when you purposefully change the japanese symbols to actual english rather than what is actually pronounced like that it makes it more obvious.

For example, Sandaasu sounds cool. To a Japanese person it probably 'reads cool'. But when presented as 'Thunder' it seems different, too basic and obvious. Because you've taken an extra step there and turned the implication into a statement of what the name actually is.

But a typical Japanese person wouldn't be aware that Sandaasu is meant to reference Thunder (unless they're all REALLY attentive in english class, I guess). Obvious to us, sure, but still.

Sounds exotic in Japanese. I remember the translator of MGS saying that's why we get names like Revolver Ocelot, who has the same name in the Japanese version. He said Japanese people might have a vague idea that the first word has something to do with a gun but not much else.

Sounds exotic in Japanese. I remember the translator of MGS saying that's why we get names like Revolver Ocelot, who has the same name in the Japanese version. He said Japanese people might have a vague idea that the first word has something to do with a gun but not much else.

Or why the main character of FF6 is called "Tina", which was changed to "Terra".

Then on the flipside you have "Gouki" being changed to "Akuma", because it sounds exotic even though it's actually less threatening (going from "great demon" to... "demon").

platocplx

I just realized the naming of articuno,zapdos and moltres

Lmao artic zap molten uno dos tres lmao

The naming is pretty funny

Jolteon is totally named Sanders.

7bba9d6932231399ed1a0f14eeea0ea4.png

FinKL

Fun fact. My friend named the Pokemon outside Japan. He also refuses to download Pokemon Go because of the fear that it will end his life haha

That's AMAZING that you know him! He did a great job, they are very iconic I feel. Wonder if there are more easter eggs to go over on names?

yeah Koffing was named Ny after New York and Weezing La after Los Angeles.

LOL
OMFG the etymology is so mind blowing. I swear there was a thread on this stuff a few year agos here.

As a diehard Gen1 player, I blew my friends' mind w/ EKANS/ARBOK and the Chan/Lee bros.

Septic360

Banned
Huh. How did you guys become friends?

Randomly. Was on holiday in Budapest. Met him and his gf in a bar. He invited me and my mates to a poker game the next day. Since then we've been mates for a while. Coolest/funniest guy I know.

[yes he always takes my money at poker]

MuchoMalo

Banned

In Explorers of Sky there was a lottery run by a Wynaut and Wobbuffet, and the Wobbuffet would only say "That's right!", so they could only have coherent communication from the Wynaut prompting with the right questions.

I've always thought that even the final English Gen 1 names were really one-the-nose.

Then I saw this.

PsionBolt

Also I believe Bulbasaur's name in Japanese is "Strange isn't it?" And Ivysaur's name is "Yes it is strange."

This is actually underselling the pun, even. It's pretty good.
You can easily read Bulbasaur and Ivysaur as "that's weird" and "seems weird", but once you get to Venusaur, that trend breaks; you can only really read it as "weird flower". That's when you do a double-take and realize you were supposed to read Bulbasaur as "weird seed" and Ivysaur as "weird herb".

MuchoMalo

Banned
This is actually underselling the pun, even. It's pretty good.
You can easily read Bulbasaur and Ivysaur as "that's weird" and "seems weird", but once you get to Venusaur, that trend breaks; you can only really read it as "weird flower". That's when you do a double-take and realize you were supposed to read Bulbasaur as "weird seed" and Ivysaur as "weird herb".

That is amazing. What the hell happened to that creativity afterward? I mean, two spots down from that you have "Lizardo"... and that evolves into Lizardon...

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
That poster with the original English names is mindblowing. I kinda like some names better, like Aria more than Clefairy.

Well, now I gonna spend my next weekend watching 20 episodes of classic Pokemon to check this

It's true. I noticed it while watching the anime day after day as a teenager.

OmegaX0

Ess Kargo. Att Lantis.

Really? Really?

That works fine because the names sound exotic in Japan, like many people mentioned before. As a kid that spoke only portuguese, the english names went mostly over my head too, they sounded exotic but I didn't get a lot of references.

Altough some of them changed a little here, mostly because of accents. Off the top of my head:
Bulbasaur - Bulbassauro (because dinosaur is dinossauro)
Meowth - Miau (pronounced mee-ow, also without the lisp)
Pikachu - pronounced as PeekaSHOO instead of PEEkachoo, as you would read it in portuguese

ASIS

In Explorers of Sky there was a lottery run by a Wynaut and Wobbuffet, and the Wobbuffet would only say "That's right!", so they could only have coherent communication from the Wynaut prompting with the right questions.
Ess & Kargo, lol that is fantastic.

But why is Staryu and Starmie flipped? Seems like a very odd choice to make considering that one is not inherently better than the other.

Fuck me sideways

Top Bottom