• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon GO player shoots armed robber attempting to rob him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo_Evans

Do you think more people get shot for surrendering their wallet than those who reach for a weapon?

Do you?

“Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns (i.e., incidents in which a gun was ‘used’ by the crime victim in the sense of attacking or threatening an offender) have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies,” the CDC study, entitled “Priorities For Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence,” states.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hey, sometimes armed robbers kill the people they're stealing from. It's not always as simple as "Give the phone up, and you'll be fine!" Sometimes it's give the phone up, oops, I'm also dead. Someone in my town just got shot in the head, after a break in, she didn't have a gun. If she did, shot the intruder, and lived, the narrative would've been "She should have just let them rob her, her life isn't worth the belongings in the house." on here.

But none of those scenarios happened here. And if you're going to discuss odds it would be safer to hand over your phone.

Do you?

“Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns (i.e., incidents in which a gun was ‘used’ by the crime victim in the sense of attacking or threatening an offender) have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies,” the CDC study, entitled “Priorities For Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence,” states.

I'm assuming here that 'other self-protective strategies' is code for 'tried to throw hands', and that's just a terrible idea

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Do you think more people get shot for surrendering their wallet than those who reach for a weapon?

But none of those scenarios happened here. And if you're going to discuss odds it would be safer to hand over your phone.

Eh, the percentages on that heavily skew towards 'give your phone up and you'll be fine', but it definitely depends on far too many factors.

Definitely not gonna draw on someone though, especially in a group

Yeah man, the percentages are in their favor, so is betting on Golden state to beat the Lakers. If the outcome is everyone lived, the criticism shouldn't be "They should have just handed the phones over, they would've been fine" because we don't live in the universe where they did that and ended up alive. I'd love to see stats, but even if it's like 1/100 I'd still take the outcome that I know left us all alive, instead of rewinding time, and gambling my life on trusting an armed robber.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Do you?

This is specifically about victims who didn't hand over wallets and fought back. Unsurprisingly gun vs gun was a better gambit than karate vs gun.

Yeah man, the percentages are in their favor, so is betting on Golden state to beat the Lakers. If the outcome is everyone lived, the criticism shouldn't be "They should have just handed the phones over, they would've been fine" because we don't live in the universe where they did that and ended up alive. I'd love to see stats, but even if it's like 1/100 I'd still take the outcome that I know left us all alive, instead of rewinding time, and gambling my life on trusting an armed robber.

how the hell do you know what the outcome will be before you pull out the gun?

Gorillaz

Probably fighting over a hitmonlee
for real tho don't even think one has appeared in game tbh

Get into shoot outs while playing a app game brehs

Do you?

I think reaching for a weapon increases your odds of being shot versus surrendering whatever item the criminal is asking for. Your quote is measuring victim fighting with a gun versus victim fighting without. Which isn't what I was asking.

Philando Castile was surrendering his wallet when he was shot...

it was by the cops... But still it happens.

I wasn't asking for an example. I was asking if he thought on average drawing a weapon increases or decreases the odds of being shot versus surrendering an item.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Sure are a lot of people successfully drawing and shooting someone who already has a loaded weapon drawn and pointed at them as of late.

Does being an armed robber make you slow down by 5x or something?

Draxyle

Neo Member
What you've neglected to put in the OP is that one of the non-aggressors was struck in the stomach by a bullet.

Idiot gun owner put everyone in danger.
Instead of losing a $300 phone, now has ~10k hospital bill.

This is the thing that always gets me. He put everyone's life in danger to defend easily replaceable goods. Priorities.

Sure are a lot of people successfully drawing and shooting someone who already has a loaded weapon drawn and pointed at them as of late.

I think this is because the intent of the robbers is to not actually kill their victims unlike the people who draw their guns and fire first.

I'm not sure "feel-good" is the right word to use for this kind of story. I doubt the bystanders are feeling good about the situation, especially one having been shot.

What you've neglected to put in the OP is that one of the non-aggressors was struck in the stomach by a bullet.

OP won't even touch this post with a barge pole.

As an actual independent, not beholden to any established political party, I have awesome politics thanks very much.

I want you to explain to me how being independent precludes you from having shitty politics/viewpoints.

Nephtes

This is the thing that always gets me. He put everyone's life in danger to defend easily replaceable goods. Priorities.

Did not the robber already place all their lives in danger over replaceable goods?
Could not he have purchased his own cellphone for the purposes of capturing pokemon instead of buying a gun to threaten people with?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Is it really worth shooting someone over a phone?

Question: Would the other players have grounds to sue this guy for needlessly escalating an armed robbery to a shootout?

I mean, if I had the choice between getting robbed at gunpoint, or being put in the middle middle of a shootout between two other people, I, personally, would take the robbery. Every time.

A 500 dollar phone isn't worth gambling my life.

EDIT:

I yield the floor.

Yeah ya'll can have my phone, I don't feel like taking my chances in a shootout

I suspect at least one of those gamers had a track-my-phone system active.
Not potentially worth losing lives and a few hundred $ for. Very likely they could have tracked them after and caught them red-handed.

Yeah, I don't think this is a feel good story at all. One of the bystanding Go-players being hit perfectly illustrates that. Playing with human lives over a 100-400 dollar phone that is both replacable and declining in value every day it is used.

Just give them your wallet, get some help, call your bank and lock the credit card!

There's a lot life gambling assumptions in here. The fact is that they lived. After you know that they lived, it's dumb to put that scenario to the test again, assuming that handing the phone over leads to a better outcome, when the worst one is death.

Harmen

Yeah, I don't think this is a feel good story at all. One of the bystanding Go-players being hit perfectly illustrates that. Playing with human lives over a 100-400 dollar phone that is both replacable and declining in value every day it is used.

Moppeh

Banned
I feel good about it.
A story showing guns can be properly used for defense, not just murdering people (the narrative I tend to hear the most).

I'm just telling you that story wouldn't be defined as a feel good story. Feel good stories are uplifting and simple, and you can't really apply your politics to them.

I'm not here to critique your politics (and even if I wanted to, other members will do a better job than I), I'm just correcting you.

We can see the good in events or read stories that cause positive reactions but that doesn't mean they fit within the proper definition.

Additionally, it is clear you have an agenda. That's fine and all, but this is a really liberal-minded board and if you are posting stories like this you know what sort of reaction you will get from some vocal members (as you pointed out in your original post). If you want these sort of threads to have any significance you really should create some sort of meaningful discussion right off the bat. No one ever disputes that guns are capable of saving or protecting someone, because they are clearly capable of it. Gun control advocates are far more worried about the bad they can do, and often think shootings and negative situations outweigh any positive effects caused by guns.

Having understanding of the other side of an issue can help a lot, especially when your thread will be read by people who mostly disagree with you. Not saying you don't possess this knowledge, but it doesn't look like it going by your original post.

Also:
Pokemon GO will never appeal to me until I can sick a real Charizard on a mugger.

There's a lot life gambling assumptions in here. The fact is that they lived. After you know that they lived, it's dumb to put that scenario to the test again, hoping for a better outcome, when the worst one is death.

Well the scenario of an armed robbery gets put to the test several times a day whether we want it to or not.

Keasar

Wait, so, the two people go up to a group of 6 or so, pulls out a gun and threatens them for their valuables.

One inside the group of 6 has a gun and pulls it out and immediately starts shooting back whereupon a shoot-out ensues.

Did he consider for one fucking second that if he didn't put down the robber with a single bullet any of the other 5 people could have gotten hit if the robber started shooting back!? Plus he could have hit anyone else too if he missed considering it was a POPULAR HOT SPOT FOR POKEMON GO!?

Just give them your wallet, get some help, call your bank and lock the credit card!

Nephtes

I'm not sure "feel-good" is the right word to use for this kind of story. I doubt the bystanders are feeling good about the situation, especially one having been shot.

OP won't even touch this post with a barge pole.

I want you to explain to me how being independent precludes you from having shitty politics/viewpoints.

Bad guys lost, good guys won. Some people got hurt along the way. Peace was restored to the galaxy. Just like Star Wars. A feel good movie.

even if it all goes to shit in episode VII

Being an independent precludes me from having shitty politics for the same reason some jerk decided I have shitty politics. It's called, "opinion".

What's a barge pole?

Kurdel

Banned
Bad guys lost, good guys won. Some people got hurt along the way. Peace was restored to the galaxy. Just like Star Wars. A feel good movie.

Feel good movie?

How can this possibly be feel good?!

Does being an armed robber make you slow down by 5x or something?

Okay, let me get my wallet, it's right here...

BANG BANG BANG

It's not like these guys were cops looking at a black man where any movement means a shot

Flo_Evans

This is specifically about victims who didn't hand over wallets and fought back. Unsurprisingly gun vs gun was a better gambit than karate vs gun.

No its not. The referenced studies indicate resistance leads to lower injury rates.

Just handing over your wallet/phone is not the safest option.

0H74AsW.png

http://www.hoplofobia.info/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Resisting-Crime.pdf

The incidents in Europe have really warmed me up to armed citizens and made me more pro self defense for some reason. Would you oppose self defense if the weapon was pepper spray and you use it on someone trying to rob you?

Nephtes

Additionally, it is clear you have an agenda. That's fine and all, but this is a really liberal-minded board and if you are posting stories like this you know what sort of reaction you will get from some vocal members (as you pointed out in your original post).

I will say that it strikes me as odd that a forum concerned with videogames, predominantly ones dealing with shooting things in the face with guns is as liberal as you surmise (and I have found) it to be.

What I never understood is why being liberal automatically makes one so opposed to guns.

I really recommend the book Gun Guys: A Road Trip by Dan Baum, a self described liberal, Jewish, Democrat, and somehow a gun guy.

Kurdel

Banned
The incidents in Europe have really warmed me up to armed citizens and made me more pro self defense for some reason. Would you oppose self defense if the weapon was pepper spray and you use it on someone trying to rob you?

Sevral magnitudes less dangerous to both parties than a fucking gun

I will say that it strikes me as odd that a forum concerned with videogames, predominantly ones dealing with shooting things in the face with guns is as liberal as you surmise (and I have found) it to be.

What I never understood is why being liberal automatically makes one so opposed to guns.

I really recommend the book Gun Guys: A Road Trip by Dan Baum, a self described liberal Jewish Democrat gun guy.

Thats silly. Just because I enjoy blowing someones head off in a videogame doesn't mean I want to do it in real life.

Nephtes

Thats silly. Just because I enjoy blowing someones head off in a videogame doesn't mean I want to do it in real life.

I don't either.
I want to live in a world where no one wants to hurt anyone else.
But if the situation arises where someone wants to kill me and has the means to do it, I would like to have the ability to even the odds.

I consider myself liberal, yet, I support gun ownership. I also support stricter gun laws though.

I'm neither liberal nor conservative and I too support stricter gun laws.
Just, smarter stricter gun laws. Like eliminating the gun show loophole and allowing psychiatrists to contribute to the database where background checks pull from to prevent mental patients that should not have guns from getting them.

I wish people in the middle of the extremes of "get rid of all guns" and "no more gun laws" would actually be heard.

Sevral magnitudes less dangerous to both parties than a fucking gun

If I had to defend myself then I don't give a fuck about the opponent's safety, to be honest. And given the situation in Europe right now you bet your ass I'd feel a lot safer with a gun. I expect support for gun ownership will rise amongst Europeans now.

Maximus P

Very lucky no one was killed.

We recently had a self defence training course roll out at work which included a section with how to deal with muggers and robbers. The first half of it boiled down to...

Give them everything they want
Don't insult them in any way
Let them leave
Call the police

It was only when it got to the second half that we were taught the best way to deal with people grabbing and swinging at you, but that was mostly knocking someone down and running away before locking yourself in a 'saferoom'.

I find it utterly bizarre that someone would take a gun out with them to catch pokemon and use that gun in a busy area..

Yup, that nobody died is sheer luck.

Never hang out with people carrying. It is impossible to know the depths of their idiocy.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I don't either.
I want to live in a world where no one wants to hurt anyone else.
But if the situation arises where someone wants to kill me and has the means to do it, I would like to have the ability to even the odds.

I want to live in a world where wanna-be cowboys don't involve me in random shootouts.

Nephtes

I want to live in a world where wanna-be cowboys don't involve me in random shootouts.

I think if anyone ever saw me in person, "wanna-be cowboy" would not be the first descriptor that anyone would apply to me.
Quite frankly, I find this oversimplification of the typical American gun owner to be quite offensive to those of us that came from different ethnic backgrounds other than West Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom