• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon: I Choose You getting international theatrical release on Nov 5th & 6th

engposternhuus.jpg

Bellevue, WA, and Denver—July 31, 2017—The new animated film Pokémon the Movie: I Choose You!, based on the globally popular Pokémon brand, is coming to movie theaters around the world for two days this November. The Pokémon Company International announced today that it has entered into an agreement with Fathom Events, the recognized leader in event cinema distribution, for international theatrical rights to the highly anticipated movie outside of Asia.

Pokémon the Movie: I Choose You! is an origin story highlighting Ash and Pikachu's first meeting and their adventures as they search for the Legendary Pokémon Ho-Oh. The iconic pair encounter familiar faces along the way, new characters including Trainers Verity and Sorrel, and even a mysterious new Mythical Pokémon, Marshadow. Challenges and epic Pokémon battles abound in this unique new story about the beginning of one of the most beloved friendships in popular culture.

”As an origin story, Pokémon the Movie: I Choose You! is the perfect way for a new generation of Pokémon fans to experience the beginning of Ash and Pikachu's friendship, and it offers longtime fans an exciting new look into the start of their epic adventures," said Colin Palmer, vice president of marketing at The Pokémon Company International. ”We're excited to work with Fathom Events, whose expertise in unique theatrical event activations will offer families and fans the opportunity to come together and experience the excitement of Pokémon animation on the big screen."

Pokémon the Movie: I Choose You! will be shown in movie theaters for two days only, on Sunday, November 5, and Monday, November 6, 2017, in select international markets. More details, including screening times and special offers, will be available soon. The movie is already winning over crowds of moviegoers in Japan, where the franchise began, as it opened at the top of the charts for its first weekend.

”Fathom Events is thrilled to work with The Pokémon Company International to bring Pokémon the Movie: I Choose You! to the US and international event cinema markets," Fathom Events CEO-elect Ray Nutt said. ”We can't wait to deliver a high-caliber Pokémon cinema event that fans around the world won't want to miss."

More information, including participating theater locations, ticketing dates, and event details, will be available soon on www.FathomEvents.com. Parents and fans can visit the site now to sign up and receive updates and details about the upcoming limited theatrical release.

To learn more about Pokémon animation, visit www.Pokemon.com and join the conversation on social media with #PokemonIChooseYou.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/2864...i-choose-you-coming-to-theaters-for-a-two-day
http://www.serebii.net/news/2017/31-July-2017.shtml

Awesome! Hope Canada gets in on this as well. Last one was the Diancie movie and Toronto got that at the Bloor and Bathurst theater.

What's the verdict on the film anyway for those who saw the JP release?

Sealtest

Sucks Misty and Brock are gone but I'll still see it. Hopefully it'll bring back that feeling of when I saw the first movie in theatres as a kid.

If the theme song is anything as good as the first movies It'll be awesome.

yuoke

Banned
The lack of brock and misty wouldn't bother me as much if the new OC's actually looked more interesting. They look like the most generic shonen anime protagonists though.....like to the point where they make ash actually look non-generic.

Kebiinu

Banned
I've been steadily watching Pokemon X and Y which is surprisingly good. Might give the movie a watch, but I'm gonna miss Brock and Misty...

JoeM86

I'm still not over the fact they changed Ash's voice 10(ish) years ago, but I'll probably see this anyways.

Fun fact.

The new Ash voice has been Ash longer than Veronica Taylor was.

I probably wouldn't have seen a pokemon cartoon in 2017 anyway, but the exclusion of ash's og pals isn't helping.

If you want to watch the original stuff, watch the original stuff. This is a reimagining, not a remake

Robin64

If you want to see a version of this with Brock and Misty in, load up Netflix and watch the series. Tada.

Sami+

I'm not sure I would have gone out of my way to see it anyway, but when I found out how much shit they were changing I kinda lost interest honestly. Cool to see Pokemon in theaters again though.

yuoke

Banned
Is this going back to the original 150? If not, count me out.

Yes, they are retroactively eliminating every single pokemon after the first 150, including Mew who is 151. We now live in an alternate timeline where there are no more pokemon.

Fun fact.

The new Ash voice has been Ash longer than Veronica Taylor was.

If you want to watch the original stuff, watch the original stuff. This is a reimagining, not a remake

Yeah, I thought about that while typing the post out and just felt really old. The "new" voice isn't bad by any means, it's just not what I know.

God damn I really don't like how human characters look in Pokemon media these days
like, I can live without Brock and Misty
but those replacements are lame af

These two characters look like regular ass NPCs from (name a future Pokemon game). Oh hey look! It's Lass, and Super Nerd!

Alongside Ash, who looks nothing like any human design from the last 10 years of this franchise.

I guess that works, given the context. Whatever.

They're never going back to just the original 150.

^^^

kubus

Cried just as much during this movie as when I did during Pokémon The Movie.

It's a reimagining, not a remake, so it really didn't bother me that much that Misty and Brock were replaced. I liked the two new companions, they didn't bother me at all.

When I saw it in the cinema, there were only adults in the theater lol (it was a 21:00 pm showing though). That said this movie really felt like it was made for our generation, it hit all the right nostalgic buttons and Pikachu really was too adorable >_<.

It was just so great to see all those classic moments from the first season again with beautiful animation and music.

GoldStarz

That doesn't make you a genwunner

How does saying you will never be involved with a piece of media relating to the Pokemon franchise unless it only contains the first 150 (+1) Pokemon NOT make you a Genwunner? That's like the purest form of genwunner, most genwunners at least include Johto in the mix.

13ruce

Banned
I actually kinda wanted to watch this with a friend but meh no Misty and Brock:/ if it is any good i will give it a chance tho!

yuoke

Banned
How does saying you will never be involved with a piece of media relating to the Pokemon franchise unless it only contains the first 150 (+1) Pokemon NOT make you a Genwunner? That's like the purest form of genwunner, most genwunners at least include Johto in the mix.

Anyone that says "the original 150" is a redflag for being a pure genwunner. I guess they don't like Mew.

Watching it for Ho-Oh! Hopefully this thread goes better than the one in Off-topic because of-
No Brock, no money. Don't care about misty.
No Misty no money. Don't care about Brock.
I actually kinda wanted to watch this with a friend but meh no Misty and Brock:/
...dang it. Creeps it's way here too. It's like this is actually called The Marvelous Misadventures of Misty and Brock feat. Ash Ketchum doing something instead of Pokémon.
Who asked for this?
Who asks for anything nowadays?

Keinning

It's like this is actually called The Marvelous Misadventures of Misty and Brock feat. Ash Ketchum doing something instead of Pokémon.

It would be a better product. who's watching for ash's amazing personality and definiting traits like releasing his pokemon and losing leagues? as one dimensional as they were, at least misty and brock were fun.

JoeM86

It would be a better product. who's watching for ash's amazing personality and definiting traits like releasing his pokemon and losing leagues? as one dimensional as they were, at least misty and brock were fun.

Ash hasn't really released a Pokémon since 1999...

Closest is Greninja, but that doesn't count.

This is dumb. Just rewatch Movie 1 or 2 folks.

Feel free to quote me saying how you like it or how it is well reviewed, I still think it is dumb.

JazzmanZ

Boy people are fickle did they just want to sit in a theater watching the original tv show episode but with nicer art?

This is ingoring context with this movie, which surprise, is focused on the beginnings of Ash, which surprise again, took place originally during gen 1. It's not a totally unreasonable opinion to want it to be focused on the original 150 too.

You guys are so busy getting angry at perceived slights against the latter parts of the franchise that it's really weird

What's the point of teasing us with a revisit to Kanto if they're going to replace the best characters from Kanto? They were key to Ash's development.

Yes, no Brock and no Misty is a damn shame.

Top Bottom