• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon: I Choose You getting international theatrical release on Nov 5th & 6th

Keinning

Boy people are fickle did they just want to sit in a theater watching the original tv show episode but with nicer art?

you wash your mouth

Pokemon Origins proved that you could make a different story with the same "area and feel"

But if you want to tell a kanto story taking the things that made kanto unique and replacing them with generic stuff, of course people will be bothered

This is ingoring context with this movie, which surprise, is focused on the beginnings of Ash, which surprise again, took place originally during gen 1. It's not a totally unreasonable opinion to want it to be focused on the original 150 too.

You guys are so busy getting angry at perceived slights against the latter parts of the franchise that it's really weird

No you don't get it if you dont want a gen 1 story to have mega evos and z-moves you're a genwunner

This is ingoring context with this movie, which surprise, is focused on the beginnings of Ash, which surprise again, took place originally during gen 1. It's not a totally unreasonable opinion to want it to be focused on the original 150 too.

You guys are so busy getting angry at perceived slights against the latter parts of the franchise that it's really weird
Yes, and this is a reimagining of Ash's origins. With more Pokémon and changes made to it.

JoeM86

you wash your mouth

Pokemon Origins proved that you could make a different story with the same "area and feel"

But if you want to tell a kanto story taking the things that made kanto unique and replacing them with generic stuff, of course people will be bothered

Origins was terrible

MrBadger

Not to mention he was also at the very start of the original TV series. OG or bust folks are fucking stupid haha.

Especially considering that Pokemon has been pretty focused on gen 1 since X/Y, with less original Pokemon and more alternate versions of Gen 1 Pokemon. Not to mention Pokemon Go only having the first 150 for the longest time.

Origins was terrible

Origins was fine. It was just way too short

I'm just tired of seeing a huge focus on the original 151. There are much more Pokémon out there. Focus on the Gen 2 area dang it!

Pyrokai

Origins was AWESOME. I loved it.

They made a Gold/Silver version of it?!?! On that wasn't part of the Pokemon Generation series????

Boy people are fickle did they just want to sit in a theater watching the original tv show episode but with nicer art?

You can't blame people for feeling kinda weird about seeing a familiar story directly remade but with key characters replaced in the same roles for seemingly arbitrary reasons.

I love that they really want to pretend like Lucario is a Gen I Pokémon
Except they're not. It isn't Gen 1 only Pokémon.
Isn't that Pokemon Generations on YouTube last year?

Also found what I was referencing to but it was made in 2001 so nevermind lol
Oh you mean The Legend of Raikou? Yeah that was three episodes! But it was more of a side story with nothing much to do with the original plot minus the characters.

It did have Typhlosion though so that's a huge plus.

Why should I see that? The reboot plot sounds awful and the last movie i saw had so much awful 90s cgi in it that I never want to trust them again.

Robin64

Gym leader belong in gyms, not on an adventure with a stupid kid who can't keep his Pokémon in a ball and totally lucked out in an electric vs rock battle.

Keinning

If anything I'd hope they added more newer Pokemon to this. The originals are so boring at this point. I far prefer the newer ones.

I hope they never listen to you

Didn't liked a single Kalos pokemon, Unova and Alola were okay but nowhere near gen 1-2-3 in favs for me. Gen IV never existed

Robin64

I hope they never listen to you

Didn't liked a single Kalos pokemon, Unova and Alola were okay but nowhere near gen 1-2-3 in favs for me. Gen IV never existed

Gallade would like a word with you. Awesome Pokémon.

(And the best damn catcher, too)

Keinning

Gallade would like a word with you. Awesome Pokémon.

(And the best damn catcher, too)

There are some stuff in gen IV i like (like blue shellos) but if i recognize gen IV exists i'm also acknowledging the horrible cross evos are real and i can't do that

RRockman

Banned
Guys, it's not that deep. Really. X and Y's designs don't tickle my fancy but I acknowledge they have their fans.

I for one am very ready for a rebuild type remix of the first pokemon season since we would be able to do very interesting things with the newer pokemon back then.

JoeM86

*151, oops

Because all the Pokémons past 151 are trash. Actually, up to Gen II is ok. Everything from Gen III on out is abhorrent, however.

It'll never happen tho and that's fine.

Nostalgia, thy name is finalflame

I always hate that complaint. How are they trash? Do you honestly expect me to believe you find 651 designs trash?

Gorillaz

them doing an alt history story of the beginning removing Brock and misty is pretty much their way of starting over completely new with a new gen of fans. Having Pokemon past gen 1 just further drives the point home that they don't want it to be a nostalgia trip.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
*151, oops

Because all the Pokémons past 151 are trash. Actually, up to Gen II is ok. Everything from Gen III on out is abhorrent, however.

It'll never happen tho and that's fine.

Man, I was there practically day one with Pokemon in 1998 in the states and I even think this is a terrible opinion.

I'll do what I've done with Pokemon movies since they've started making them: watch it on television. See you on Cartoon Ne....Disney XD.

I wonder who's doing the dub theme this time. The same people who did Stand Tall and Under the Aloan Sun?

Keinning

Guys, it's not that deep. Really. X and Y's designs don't tickle my fancy but I acknowledge they have their fans. .

I'm not saying they don't have fans, i'm saying they're not for me. And if the "genwunner pandering" most people herel seem to hate ends, then i'm probably not buying pokemon products anymore. I know i would never give Pokemon Go a single glance if it only featured Kalos/Alola pokemon

go ahead, tell me all about my personal opinion on how i feel about pokemon designs being wrong
you know you want to. dawn wants you to.

go ahead, tell me all about my personal opinion on how i feel about pokemon designs being wrong
you know you want to. dawn wants you to.

a healthy contingent of genwunners hold new designs up against this imaginary standard of excellence, a standard that only (the monsters the person making the argument grew up with) meet

it's amazing how, if someone grew up with gen 2 and stopped at Emerald, then these are Pokemon

250px-194Wooper.png
250px-206Dunsparce.png

but this guy ain't

250px-357Tropius.png

grew up with gen 3? then these guys are Pokemon

250px-194Wooper.png
250px-206Dunsparce.png
250px-357Tropius.png

but this guy ain't

250px-695Heliolisk.png

because ALL designs beyond (the gen that I, the unquestionable arbiter of quality, last had fond memories of)... are just trash!, and since that's just my opinion, you can't point out how silly of a generalization that is, or how it's just steeped in a refusal to admit the influence of nostalgia.

Keinning

a healthy contingent of genwunners hold new designs up against this imaginary standard of excellence, a standard that only (the monsters the person making the argument grew up with) meet

my standards remains the same, the same type of thing that i disliked in gen I (which made me dislike some pokemon as well - liking gen I most doesn't mean liking EVERY gen I design) i dislike in gen VII. It's just that they used these types of design more lately.

wasn't a fan of clefairy back in 1998 and i'm still not a fan of clefairy (and most of pokemon that follow the same "template") today. same with objectmons and voltorb/electrode. it's not hypocrisy to dislike stuff like vanillice and garbage just because muk was a thing in gen 01 too. you don't even know if the people saying that likes muk to begin with.

Mr. Mime. Lickitung. Jinx. Tangela.

What's exactly wrong with Lickitung? Could have used Muk or Magnemite at least.
Tangela is not bad, just boring (just like the pokemon). You want bad, see Tangrowth

because ALL designs beyond (the gen that I, the unquestionable arbiter of quality, last had fond memories of)... are just trash!, and since that's just my opinion, you can't point out how silly of a generalization that is, or how it's just steeped in a refusal to admit the influence of nostalgia.

Never said all designs past gen III were trash. Read my post again or go argue with the person saying that instead.

my standards remains the same, the same type of thing that i disliked in gen I (which made me dislike some pokemon as well - liking gen I most doesn't mean liking EVERY gen I design) i dislike in gen VII. It's just that they used these types of design more lately.

wasn't a fan of clefairy back in 1998 and i'm still not a fan of clefairy (and most of pokemon that follow the same "template") today. same with objectmons and voltorb/electrode. it's not hypocrisy to dislike stuff like vanillice and garbage just because muk was a thing in gen 01 too. you don't even know if the people saying that likes muk to begin with.

Never said all designs past gen III were trash. Read my post again or go argue with the person saying that instead.

that's fair. I actually edited my post right after making it, to try to remove the implication that I was calling you out specifically, instead of just airing my grievances with what I consider unabashed 'genwunners'. Actually had a snippet in there where I noted that I'm not specifically talking about you, but I guess I removed that too :x

GoldStarz

What's exactly wrong with Lickitung? Could have used Muk or Magnemite at least.
Tangela is not bad, just boring (just like the pokemon). You want bad, see Tangrowth.
Tangrowth is way more visually interesting than Tangela and most of the Gen IV evos are good designs, people just get mad about them "messing with their childhood" and use the excuse that they're poorly designed.

Keinning

Tangrowth is way more visually interesting than Tangela

way more things on it =/= way more visually interesting

250px-464Rhyperior.png

give me a single reason on why rhydon had to turn into... this

i dare you

steelix was a great cross evo
mamoswine was a good crossevo (from gen IV)
alolan raichu is a good cross evo/form

togekiss, magnezone, electivire and lickylicky are abominations

Keinning

This image is disingenuous at best

"plants" are hardly the same thing as "ice cream" and "balloon"

i don't really get whats so complicated about nidoking and feraligator as well. could have used mewtwo and one of the dogs instead, but they're legendary, can't really escape overdesigned legendaries in any gen, any game

Top Bottom