• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon: I Choose You getting international theatrical release on Nov 5th & 6th

yuoke

Banned
This image is disingenuous at best

"plants" are hardly the same thing as "ice cream" and "balloon"

i don't really get whats so complicated about nidoking and feraligator as well

I don't agree with using oddish there, or maybe even sunkern. You get the point though, and they could have put magnemite there instead.

Nidoking and feraligatr aren't super complex, but they are on the same level as like Garchomp.

Aleh

way more things on it =/= way more visually interesting

250px-464Rhyperior.png

give me a single reason on why rhydon had to turn into... this

i dare you

steelix was a great cross evo
mamoswine was a good crossevo (from gen IV)
alolan raichu is a good cross evo/form

togekiss, magnezone, electivire and lickylicky are abominations

Woah woah, Togekiss an abomination? It's one of my favorite Pokémon and a huge upgrade over Togetic.
I also like Electivire and Lickilicky. Magnezone isn't that good but Magneton isn't either.
It's all mostly subjective.

way more things on it =/= way more visually interesting

250px-464Rhyperior.png

give me a single reason on why rhydon had to turn into... this

i dare you

I don't think even most Pokemon fans like Ryperior's design. He's a pretty pointless evolution that also manages to be pretty ugly.

Every gen has a few duds.

Seiniyta

I don't inherently object to replacing Brock and Misty, even though I vastly would prefer them. They were a big part of what I enjoyed of the original show. Them not showing up in a re-imagining does sting especially as this movie is absolutely playing hard on nostalgia for older fans. It feels weird, it feels...wrong. Regardless if the movie is better off for it or not.

I totally get why they took these trainers as they have Pokémon from different regions and these trainers clearly emphasize that. However, the designs of these trainers is rather uninspired and feel like characters you see in the X&Y show that pop up for a episode or so before their plot is resolved and they go on. Their designs are so...lackluster compared to Brock and Misty.

I can't judge on their personalities and the like as I have not seen the movie. But he first impressions of these characters is rather rough and makes the absence of still rather popular characters sting more.

On the other hand, I have no problem with Pokémon from newer regions showing up. That's totally fine by me.

Yukinari

Gen 1 nostalgia and they cant even be bothered to use Brock and Misty.

I know brock stayed for far longer in the main show but damn son.

JoeM86

Gen 1 nostalgia and they cant even be bothered to use Brock and Misty.

I know brock stayed for far longer in the main show but damn son.

You don't know much about this movie if you think it is Gen 1 nostalgia :p

Considering the rival in it has two Gen 7 Pokémon, and the antagonist is a Gen 7 Pokémon...

batfax

Whoa, I didn't expect this to get an international release. I was actually thinking about looking into finding out if it was subbed or not the other day. Definitely hype to see it in theaters. Also good to hear Misty and Brock are in to some degree.

Also, since it's a subject right now, I totally gotta agree that Origins was pretty meh after all the hype. It rushed the story, only really looked good in battle scenes, used the Gen 3 art style in spite of being constantly billed as being based on Gen 1 (including using the Gameboy as a framing device) and even threw the Gen 1 thing away at the end to be an advertisement for Gen 6. It was so, so far from perfect and the first season of the anime definitely got the feel better overall, as well as having some retroactive bonus points for Ash actually looking like Gen 1 Red more than the Red in Origins did at all.

I get that people are diehard fans of Gen 1 and want to love Origins, but it was not the Gen 1 anime it was (and still is by fans) hyped up to be. At all.

Saw the
the Marshshadow goes Bessel scene and pikachu battles it
Never mind about Gary fuckin Oak it was hype as hell.
Definitely a better movie then most of them so far.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Isn't this the one where they wrote out Misty and Brock for two nobodies?

Hard pass, especially regarding Kasumi. I don't know what whoever drafted the movie is thinking. Or maybe the bigger issue is that they haven't thought.

Seriously cannot believe that people would have wanted a literal copypaste of the first season of the anime in movie form. That would have ensured that I stayed FAR fucking away from this.

This is, by contrast, actually interesting. I guess unless you're one of those people who doesn't actually like Pokémon and just likes your memories of it. New Pokémon being included instantly made this more worthwhile.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
No Brock or Misty? Sweet! Was worried this was gonna be ultra pandery, so their exclusion brings it down a notch or two. Hope it comes to a theater near me!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Seriously cannot believe that people would have wanted a literal copypaste of the first season of the anime in movie form. That would have ensured that I stayed FAR fucking away from this.

This is, by contrast, actually interesting. I guess unless you're one of those people who doesn't actually like Pokémon and just likes your memories of it. New Pokémon being included instantly made this more worthwhile.

This post is dumb. Nobody asked for a literal copy, just the characters that people actually gave a crap about and were central to the television show for years instead of two irrelevant movie only characters.

They didn't even have to add Satoshi in or bother to remake the early series in the first place if they were not going to bother to put in the things people cared about from the original anime episodes. Just use another trainer with a completely different backstory and call it something else.

Granted i'm in the unique position of never caring about the games proper and was into the anime and trading card game instead, so maybe the allure of the Pokemon alone are not worth it to me personally to see, the characters themselves and their relationship with the Pokemon and each other made a big part of why i enjoyed the franchise.

Keinning

"i was worried that this movie based on the first season of the anime would pander to the people who watched the first season of the anime and could have nostalgia towards it instead of pandering to a new generation who doesn't even know what a Kanto is"

A lot of anime movies do compressed versions of earlier arcs with better animation and sometimes with additional scenes. (Gurren Lagann for example). It's pretty insulting to accuse anyone who wants that as somehow not being a fan or just blinded by nostalgia.

Im not sure how two new characters that have no history with the franchise hijacking supporting roles celebrates the 20th anniversary but hey whatever floats your boat

Isn't this the one where they wrote out Misty and Brock for two nobodies?

Hard pass, especially regarding Kasumi. I don't know what whoever drafted the movie is thinking. Or maybe the bigger issue is that they haven't thought.

This post is dumb. Nobody asked for a literal copy, just the characters that people actually gave a crap about and were central to the television show for years instead of two irrelevant movie only characters.

They didn't even have to add Satoshi in or bother to remake the early series in the first place if they were not going to bother to put in the things people cared about from the original anime episodes. Just use another trainer with a completely different backstory and call it something else.

Granted i'm in the unique position of never caring about the games proper and was into the anime and trading card game instead, so maybe the allure of the Pokemon alone are not worth it to me personally to see, the characters themselves and their relationship with the Pokemon and each other made a big part of why i enjoyed the franchise.

"i was worried that this movie based on the first season of the anime would pander to the people who watched the first season of the anime and could have nostalgia towards it instead of pandering to a new generation who doesn't even know what a Kanto is"

A lot of anime movies do compressed versions of earlier arcs with better animation and sometimes with additional scenes. (Gurren Lagann for example). It's pretty insulting to accuse anyone who wants that as somehow not being a fan or just blinded by nostalgia.

Im not sure how two new characters that have no history with the franchise hijacking supporting roles celebrates the 20th anniversary but hey whatever floats your boat
Oh my freaking gosh you guys. This isn't supposed to be a remake of the original series. It's a retelling. Re-telling can also include changes to the source concept. Are Brock and Misty important characters? Yes. Are they absolutely crucial to the plot point where if they aren't there then Ash has no meaning or purpose? No. This isn't their journey, it's Ash's as they're tagging along. Yes they also have their moments and eventually also do a little bit of growing up themselves, but in the end it was always Ash's story.

You say that they should have done the story with them in in order to get nostalgia people on board since the kids will have no find memories of Kanto? That's another point to this movie, it's supposed to introduce new audiences to the original 1st region with updated graphics and a newer story. Even though sites like Polygon call it a nostalgia fest, it's catered to the younger audiences. It always has been. Us older guys were just caught along for the ride. It wouldn't make any sense to have a remake of the original with none of the Pokemon from 152 and higher cause it wouldn't make any sense. They have technology in that world if theirs. They would know about the other species by now, only that Kanto would have its regional group of Pokémon.

You don't have to watch it, and that's fine. But not for the sheer lack of Brock and Misty accompanying Ash on HIS journey. Some of you would cry foul if Brock and Misty were never part of this journey before and they decide to add it to this movie.

Besides, even if they were in the movie as companions again, some of y'all would start complaining that they aren't voiced by the original actors.

At least give the new one a chance.

Now to wait for the responses saying "Good for you. I still think that what I say is right". It never changes.

Oh my freaking gosh you guys. This isn't supposed to be a remake of the original series. It's a retelling. Re-telling can also include changes to the source concept. Are Brock and Misty important characters? Yes. Are they absolutely crucial to the plot point where if they aren't there then Ash has no meaning or purpose? No
You can retell things with them in it. Whoooooaaaaa. You can change other things instead. Whooooooaaaa.

Sou Da

I mean by this logic I could argue that this would have been a more interesting movie if he got Bulbasaur first.

Keinning

That's another point to this movie, it's supposed to introduce new audiences to the original 1st region with updated graphics and a newer story.

Wouldn't the new audience be more interested in newer games/anime content, the ones they're familiar with? What reason do they have to be so eager to be introduced to not-Kanto like that, what's the appeal of ash's first adventure to them when they never saw it and truly care to begin with? You can believe that if you want, but i strongly disagree. Everything we knew about the movie before it was finally released was banking on nostalgia, not on new audiences.

And even if it was just about introducing the region to a whole new public.... did they really had to change Brock and Misty? What difference would it make to people not familiar with the first season anyway?

batfax

This would have been a more intesting movie if he was a girl.

150px-Ashley.png

Wouldn't the new audience be more interested in newer games/anime content, the ones they're familiar with? What reason do they have to be so eager to be introduced to not-Kanto like that, what's the appeal of ash's first adventure to them when they never saw it and truly care to begin with? You can believe that if you want, but i strongly disagree. Everything we knew about the movie before it was finally released was banking on nostalgia, not on new audiences.

Weellllll, maybe having the newer popular Pokemon that the kids might know better than Farfetch'd and Butterfree would help them have more interest in the movie where they get to see a re-imagining of how Ash's story began but also with newer Pokemon they know included.

Can ash be allowed to grow up please.

The concept of forever being 10 and not being able to ever win a tournament and move on with one's life is disturbing to me

The cool part about the games is that each generation gets new protagonists, even if they're voiceless muppets. Would've been cool to see previous protags grow up in the Poké world like they did with digimon.

Kalentan

Fucking god the Misty and Brock replacements are so freaking generic. It's almost scary how much. Their designs leave no impression at all. I guess the best thing I can say about them is that they exist.

yuoke

Banned
Fucking god the Misty and Brock replacements are so freaking generic. It's almost scary how much. Their designs leave no impression at all. I guess the best thing I can say about them is that they exist.

That's my issue. They literally look like they could be the protagonists of gen 8, or more even just like npcs. There have actually be a lot of interesting OC designs in the anime throughout the gens, and those are worse than pretty much all of them.

Georgia was probably my favorite
100px-Georgia_BW.png

It's still like the dumbest decision in the world to make a retelling of Ash's origin story and not bring back his companions for it. You know, the really iconic characters that are beloved and sorely missed in the current anime? You know?

Might as well have retold Ash's journey without Pikachu ffs. Though that might have actually been interesting - an alternate universe retelling where he gets up on time and gets a normal starter.

Origins was terrible
What on earth is this opinion

Origins was the best piece of Pokemon animated content ever made I don't understand

MAtgS

It's still like the dumbest decision in the world to make a retelling of Ash's origin story and not bring back his companions for it. You know, the really iconic characters that are beloved and sorely missed in the current anime? You know?

Might as well have retold Ash's journey without Pikachu ffs. Though that might have actually been interesting - an alternate universe retelling where he gets up on time and gets a normal starter.
We already got that with Origins.

LotusHD

Banned

That would be interesting...
But also worse than the Misty/Brock thing

Even better, an alternate universe retelling where Ash actually wins his tournaments!

That's Red though.

Origins has functionally different characters for the most part. The original Pokemon anime - and also recent seasons I believe - adapt characters more than translate them. So you get Ash who is very different from Red, and even the anime versions of characters like Misty, Brock, Gary, Giovanni, and more who are decidedly different from their game counterparts even as they pull from the same base.

There is an interesting story to be told in the original anime with a slightly different original premise, I think. Does Ash become Team Rocket's rivals if he doesn't have a "special" Pikachu? Does he run into Misty in the same way? Does he beat Brock easily and not recruit him on his journey?

This just looks fucking boring though, it doesn't give me an interesting retelling of elements I care about from the original anime. It's missing the point - original trailers were shot-for-shot recreations of scenes from the original episodes, with some twists and implications for some alternate plot. But instead of having a small, interesting twist to explore, it seems like they just went off on some other random direction and only really used episode one of the anime as any sort of basis - and even ignored parts of that, seeing as Misty is absent. And, again, missed out on one of the most iconic and memorable parts of the anime's first season, the companions. Bad, bad move that leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Also it's super disingenuous to call it an origin story when it's barely based on Ash's original journey at all.

Also, to everyone saying "if you want a remake, go watch the original", there is no original movie adaptation of "Ash's origin story" or any of the original anime for that matter.

Hydrus

I'm still not over the fact they changed Ash's voice 10(ish) years ago, but I'll probably see this anyways.

Same here. I gave up on the English dub. I miss Veronica Taylor and Eric Stuart. I got to meet her last year, and she really misses voicing the anime. She's so sweet. It was liking talking to ash's mom in real life. She ended up signing my Ash hat.

b3b0p

I'm in. I'll give it a chance. Reviews of the Japanese release seem rather positive.

To those complaining about it not being a remake. Seriously? Has there been a remake in recent in anime, movies, games that has superseded the original? If there has, it seems to be rare. All that ends up happening on GAF, Reddit, the blogs is bitching, moaning, complaining how it's not like the original. If you want the original again, go get the original, watch the original,

Top Bottom