• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire Remakes Announced for 3DS

Mortemis

Banned
It was? I loved Ruby the most as a kid, and I played through all of them. Best legends, cool removed mechanics (berry mixing, hidden bases). Calling it a 'betrayal' is very silly.

I never understood the hate for gen 3, as a kid I played both gen 3 first but I still went back and played the first two gens and I didn't see that big of a gap in quality. Gen 3 still has my fav legendaries and some of my fav pokemon.

I get that the story lacked and the water was annoying (wasn't all that annoying to me tbh) but to say a betrayal seems way too farfetch'd to me.

Remember this?

geological_mirage.png

Me wonders how things will go for it this time around.

Zaventem

This is to be expected though. Gen 3 basically was a betryal for the original fans. New very different Pokemon designs (When I saw the original designs for Kyogre and Groudon I thought they were fake), bad selection of old Pokemon with most of the decent ones trapped in the Safari Zone. Having no access to old Pokes unless you buy a GameCube and a bunch of add-on shit. A shame a generation of kids was started on this version, the experience of an introduction to the series and then a direct sequal does so much more.
But the LTTP people are much worse from what I've seen. Look who gets bugged out of their fucking minds in overall gen popularity polls show that the first two gens still dominate.
This is why my son is starting from the origin of every game series in the home.

The most stupid post ITT. I've played since Gen 1 and from 1 - 3, I love those generations because i prefer less cluttered cleaner pokemon, Groudon and it's counterpart fit that design mold perfectly. Gen VI was a return to that with the exception of some of the mega evolutions... The only bad thing i can accuse Gen III of is an excessive amount of bland water areas.

Besides i've never met anyone that hated Rayquaza's design ( the coolest pokemon ever)... that alone proves gen III superiority.

I'd be surprised if they didn't add new areas with pokemon not found in the originals just like they did with every other remake

All Pokemon available in the base map or bust. Locking away all the "non R/S/E" Pokemon until after beating the game, or confining them to a smaller area would be shitty. X and Y allow you to catch everything with no restrictions. Anything else is a step back.

Sugimori said it is a knit cap

It doesn't mean that, at all. FRLG came out before Emerald.

Awesome; I'm really hoping to see Pokemon Z. X and Y rekindled my love for the Pokemon series, that I lost a couple of generations prior. An improved version would be sweet.

As someone who played since gen 1, I'm more annoyed at the features from Ruby and Sapphire that never returned (Secret bases, Diving that actually matters) than I am at any features it cut from gold and silver. I remember being super disappointed when diving in Black and white ended up being a glorified way to find a few high value items to make money off of

The Lamp

This is to be expected though. Gen 3 basically was a betryal for the original fans. New very different Pokemon designs (When I saw the original designs for Kyogre and Groudon I thought they were fake), bad selection of old Pokemon with most of the decent ones trapped in the Safari Zone. Having no access to old Pokes unless you buy a GameCube and a bunch of add-on shit. A shame a generation of kids was started on this version, the experience of an introduction to the series and then a direct sequal does so much more.
But the LTTP people are much worse from what I've seen. Look who gets bugged out of their fucking minds in overall gen popularity polls show that the first two gens still dominate.
This is why my son is starting from the origin of every game series in the home.

Worst post I've read in weeks.

Gen 3 is my favorite and ive been playing since 98.
I can't wait to see footage of this game.

Macka

Gen 3 basically was a betryal for the original fans. New very different Pokemon designs (When I saw the original designs for Kyogre and Groudon I thought they were fake), bad selection of old Pokemon with most of the decent ones trapped in the Safari Zone. Having no access to old Pokes unless you buy a GameCube and a bunch of add-on shit. A shame a generation of kids was started on this version, the experience of an introduction to the series and then a direct sequal does so much more.
Dude, I started with Red and am essentially a genwunner in that I love FAR more Kanto designs than I do any other region, but I fucking loved Ruby & Sapphire. I never understood the hate the game gets. There designs were great for the most part, but where the games really shined is in all the new features and improvements they added to the series. Abilities, natures, contests, secret bases...I personally liked the water routes and thought they added to the sense of adventure. Also how COOL was the Regi hunt?

Hoenn was great.

Ultratech

Huh, that definitely came out of nowhere.

What's with the Alpha/Omega names though?
(Just sounds a bit goofy to me.)

Either way, can't wait for more info!

I didn't notice the difference in Kyogre's stripes. Fair enough then. If they are indeed new forms/megalutions...they're very underwhelming.

Then again, a good majority of the Mega Evolutions last time took a 'finished' design and just added some more spikes or hair to it, so maybe less drastic changes are for the better.

Personally, i love it. A lot of megas i found to be very "over-designed". These look like natural evolutions and make sense. Look at that fucking lava flowing ghrough groudon. Bad ass.

Wichu

Regarding new Mega Evolutions in OR/AS:

I think new Mega Evolutions are likely to happen. However, any new Mega Evolutions in OR/AS will not be tradeable to X/Y. A patch will be required for X/Y to connect to OR/AS, which will contain the data for the new Mega Evolutions, but will only allow them to be battled, not traded.

This is because update data is stored on the SD card. By removing the SD card, you can downgrade physical copies back to version 1.0, which will cause problems if new Mega Stones are traded over. In addition, the developers will want competitive players to buy the new games; adding new Mega Evolutions that can't be traded back to X/Y is a good way of doing this.

Mega
Latias/Latios
will be released for Pokémon X/Y roughly when OR/AS launch for promotional reasons, and might unlock an event in OR/AS when traded over (like the Regigigas event for D/P that unlocked Regice/Regirock/Registeel in Platinum).

Hatchtag

Banned
official tier list:
RSE=FRLG=BW>>>>DPPt=HGSS=B2W2>>>>>XY
RSE, FRLG, and BW are all great in different ways.
DPPt, HGSS, and B2W2 have a lot of failings, but are still pretty good.
XY is the worst game in the series, to the point where I almost like Colosseum and XD more than it.

Dr. Buni

I think new Mega Evolutions are likely to happen. However, any new Mega Evolutions in OR/AS will not be tradeable to X/Y. A patch will be required for X/Y to connect to OR/AS, which will contain the data for the new Mega Evolutions, but will only allow them to be battled, not traded.

This is because update data is stored on the SD card. By removing the SD card, you can downgrade physical copies back to version 1.0, which will cause problems if new Mega Stones are traded over. In addition, the developers will want competitive players to buy the new games; adding new Mega Evolutions that can't be traded back to X/Y is a good way of doing this.

Mega
Latias/Latios
will be released for Pokémon X/Y roughly when OR/AS launch for promotional reasons, and might unlock an event in OR/AS when traded over (like the Regigigas event for D/P that unlocked Regice/Regirock/Registeel in Platinum).
That actually sounds plausible. You're smart, I like you.

Hopefully they release a patch for X and Y so that we can battle between games using all the new inevitable Mega Evolutions. That would be supreme.

Have we received confirmation of whether or not Groudon and Kyogre's formes on the cover are their Mega Evos? They're definitely different, but it doesn't seem like enough of a difference...
I've been at work, so I don't have much time to read this massive thread yet.

Mega
Latias/Latios
That's pretty much what I assumed. Hell, they'll probably just patch in appearances and a way to make them change when mega evolving occurs. Anything else shouldn't really be necessary since it's just reading stats, moves, and abilities and I assume they won't add new moves or abilities

IHaveIce

Banned

Mega
Latias/Latios

Hey but didn't you see the 4-5 guys who told me it is possible and everything is patchable? Because of stuff like this I asked if it is even possible to just patch in new Megaforms.

Mega
Latias/Latios

I really hope this is how it goes down!

Macka

I always find it hard to rank Pokemon games, since while I probably enjoyed Gold/Silver the most at the time, I wouldn't choose to play them these days over ANY of the newer games. They just don't hold up very well.

This would be my ranking for the games I still consider worth playing.

1. XY
2. Emerald
3. Platinum
4. Black/White 2
5. Black/White
6. HeartGold/SoulSilver
7. FireRed/LeafGreen

Wichu

Hey but didn't you see the 4-5 guys who told me it is possible and everything is patchable? Because of stuff like this I asked if it is even possible to just patch in new Megaforms.

Yes, it's patchable, but the issue is that in the case of physical copies, patches can be undone.

Also it's not in Game Freak's best interests profit-wise to let people play with the new additions without buying OR/AS.

harmonize

I really disliked Ruby/Sapphire, but a betrayal? Ha!
Seriously, I think some of you are taking this gen wars malarkey to a bizarre extreme if you think a developer releasing a game you simply dislike constitutes a betrayal.

Anyways, good for Hoenn fans, of which I'm not one of. If we get Red/Blue remakes in 2016 for their 20th anniversary, we can truly all be happy.

Come on folks, lets all stop talking about being betrayed and be optomistic for all the cool stuff that we can expect from this remake!

I dunno what you people are going on about. I loved R&S and the secret base system.

I especially loved the fact that mixing records allowed you to go fight your friend's party in their secret base! You could pretty much make your own gyms!

Top Bottom