• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow Eshop Release |OT| This Gym is Great! It’s Full of Women!

IwO1Koe.jpg

General Info

Developer: Gamefreak
Publisher: Nintendo
Release Date: February 27th, 2016
Price: $9.99
Platform: Nintendo 3DS (Originally Nintendo Game Boy)
Genre: Turn-Based JRPG

Story

Pokémon Red and Blue take place in the region of Kanto. This is one distinct region shown in later games, with different geographical habitats for the 151 existing Pokémon species, along with human-populated towns and cities, and Routes connecting locations with one another. After venturing alone into deep grass, a voice warns the player to stop, which is revealed to be Professor Oak, a famous Pokémon researcher. Professor Oak explains to the player that wild Pokémon may be living there, and encountering them alone can be very dangerous. He takes the player to his laboratory where the player meets Oak's grandson, a rival aspiring Pokémon Trainer. The player and the rival are both instructed to select a starter Pokémon for their travels out of Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charmander, or maybe Pikachu.

Differences Between the The Three Versions

Pokemon Not available in Red version: Sandshrew, Sandslash, Meowth, Persian, Bellsprout, Weepinbell,Victreebel, Vulpix, Ninetales, Pinsir, Magmar.

Pokemon Not available in Blue Version: Ekans, Arbok, Mankey, Primeape, Oddish, Gloom, Vileplume, Growlithe, Arcanine, Scyther, Electabuzz

Pokemon Not available in Yellow Version: Weedle, Kakuna, Beedrill, Ekans, Arbok, Raichu, Meowth, Persian, Koffing, Weezing, Jynx, Magmar Electabuzz

Linking WIth Other Players

Players can link wirelessly to each other to trade and battle. The players have to be in close proximity to each other and cannot be done over the internet.

FAQ

Where is green version? That version was not localized outside of Japan.

Which version allows for color? Only Yellow Version

Are glitches like Missingno still in the game? Hell Yes. They left all of the glitches intact. FOR ALL VERSIONS. Since Yellow didn't have Missingno, it will not be present in the rerelease. These are direct ports of the original releases.

Is there a physical version? Collector's Edition boxes which appear to contain download codes for the games in Japan, Digital only internationally. No physical carts

I want to get into pokemon, is this a good place to start? If you can find a way to play Firered or Leafgreen, I recommend giving those a try for your first pokemon experience. However, XY and Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are likely more beginner friendly and much easier to legally obtain.

Is Surfing Pikachu available in the VC version of Yellow?The minigame is playable without that pikachu from Pokemon Stadium now

Connecting to Pokemon Bank

On February 26th, Nintendo revealed that Pokemon RBY would be compatible with Pokemon Bank and they pokemon could be transferred to Pokemon Sun and Moon. More info on that coming soon.

Important Links
3DS Eshop Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iybdJCo78Y
Pokemon Red Eshop Page: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/pokemon-red-version-3ds
Pokemon Blue Eshop Page: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/pokemon-blue-version-3ds
Pokemon Yellow Eshop Page: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/pokemon-yellow-special-pikachu-edition-3ds
Gamestop page for Limited Edition Pokemon Red and Blue n3DS: http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3d...7&sourceID=je6NUbpObpQ-QcicjkYszOK0q24YGtmeOw
List of glitches in Generation 1: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_glitches_in_Generation_I
Smogon's list of RBY differences: http://www.smogon.com/rb/articles/differences

If you feel that something is missing in this OT, feel free to PM me and I can make changes as necessary.

Remember

- Critical hit chance is based off your speed. Which is why Slash + Persian is a legit thing
- Blizzard has 90% accuracy, and can be bought as much as you want, so just stick it on whoever.
- Once Frozen, you will never defrost
- If Hyper Beam kills an enemy or Substitute, it doesn't need to recharge
- Waking up from sleep wastes a turn.
- There are no notable STAB moves for Bug, Ghost or Dragon.
- Because of the previous point, Psychic Pokemon basically have no weakness
- Focus Energy does absolutely nothing
- Never use Rage
- Critical hits ignore the stat ups of your enemy (as they still do). But also ignore your stat ups. A crit after a few Swords Dances does less damage than not critting. It also ignores enemy Stat Downs, so if you lower their defense, crits do less damage.
- Walking around the over world while Poisoned does damage and can kill your Pokemon
- Wrap/Fire Spin trap enemies for several turns while doing damage. It's basically like Sleep, except it does damage.
- Don't use Substitute if you're around 25% HP, because if you're at exactly 25%, using Sub will kill you
- Even 100% accurate moves can miss

I'm going to copy my post from the other thread for all the Missingno. glitch fans:

Remeber that your trainer name determines which additional Pokemon you can encounter using the Old Man Glitch!

This page hosts a calculator to see which name gives wich encounters: https://web.archive.org/web/20071226115844/http://glitchcity.info/misc/namegen2

You can use it to choose a name with encounters to your liking or to see which encounters the name you are planning on using will give you.

I'll be going with tsHaDow, which results in:
MissingNO. Level 178
Mewtwo Level 160
Kabutops Fossil Level 174

Green is not being localized. I kinda wish it was so I could see those sprites.

So I guess this OT is just for localized version then... k :(

I'm going to copy my post from the other thread for all the Missingno. glitch fans:

Remeber that your trainer name determines which additional Pokemon you can encounter using the Old Man Glitch!

This page hosts a calculator to see which name gives wich encounters: https://web.archive.org/web/20071226.../misc/namegen2

You can use it to choose a name with encounters to your liking or to see which encounters the name you are planning on using will give you.

I'll be going with tsHaDow, which results in:
MissingNO. Level 178
Mewtwo Level 160
Kabutops Fossil Level 174

link is broken since you cannot directly copypaste it from another post

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I imported the yellow transparent 2DS from Amazon.fr... hoping it shows up next week and is in English. Lol, I did zero research but want that transparent yellow!

25-nintendo-2ds-pokemon-japan-9.jpg

It's funny, I always had a dream that if they ever re-released RBY on the VC, they should have it so you could buy it directly on the eshop or go to the store and buy "boxes" that look like the original games. Inside there would be a TOMY figure of Charizard, Blastoise or Pikachu depending on the version, the code for the game and a code for a download of an event Charizard, Blastoise or Pikachu for XYORAS.

Now that hasn't happened, but Japan is getting a code for Mew. I'd absolutely love it if they did something where you'd be able to download a Mew for RBY.

aett

I'll probably just end up buying this for the nostalgia factor, but I'm in the middle of a bunch of other long games at the moment, so I'm not likely to play through this any time soon. Among other things, I keep trying to finish up Alpha Sapphire and I'm 76% of the way through completing my personal Living Dex, which I'd like to complete before Sun and Moon...

Arc

So Missigno is in this?

Also Red and Blue are emulated in the og Gameboy correct? Meaning black and white only.

I'm already planning my hall of fame team.

Charizard
Persian (Cut)
Fearow (Fly)
Nidoking (Surf, Strength)
Jolteon
Maybe Articuno?

And some filler Pokemon, Butterfree or something, to use Flash in the parts where it's needed.

4/6 of those can be gotten early game and carried through the entire game. Articuno will be annoying to get. Jolteon is easy to get, I've never used an Eevee evolution, and so I'd like to try it out.

Dragoshi1

Can't wait, never owned Red, but started with Yellow version and the Yellow Gameboy Color. I remember accidentally somehow releasing my Pikachu, and blasting through the game with a Pidgeot only.

Years and years later, I found a copy of Blue from somewhere, and played it old school on a Gameboy I inherited from my Uncle.

So, here we go, Red version!

And how about a blast from the past?

I'm in for Pokemon Primeape version.
Can't wait to have those old TMs again like BODY SLAM and softboiled.

I've still got my Pokemon Master Guide laying around so I may bust it out for those Oak tips...
9FYmYBS.jpg

My n3DS Pokemon system is in the mailbox at home. First I wasn't that interested in the games (started thinking about just playing my old copy of Yellow again on my GBC after I finish refurbishing it) but the idea of being able to save things from those game to the bank, even though I haven't been interested in a new Pokemon since OG Silver/Gold, is oddly tempting.

rardk64

I wonder if they'll provide a way to get Mew. Seems like a waste not to.

I'm weirdly hyped about this. Getting Yellow hopefully at midnight!

scamander

Banned
I imported the yellow transparent 2DS from Amazon.fr... hoping it shows up next week and is in English. Lol, I did zero research but want that transparent yellow!

The Hardware sold in Europe, Australia and Africa is all the same, so one can set it to English no matter the country you bought it in.^^

Pachimari

Missigno isn't a real Pokémon but just a glitch right? I can't remember it from the days I played Red; might have encountered the glitch. And as it is a glitch I take it, it won't be transferable.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I will consider buying Pokémon Yellow once the Pokémon Bank update rolls out.

Missigno isn't a real Pokémon but just a glitch right? I can't remember it from the days I played Red; might have encountered the glitch. And as it is a glitch I take it, it won't be transferable.

There's like five different forms just of Missingno., and a whole, wonderful world of glitch pokemon besides.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
nippon-yasan fucked me over -_- had a blue 2DS pkmn center special edition pre-ordered from japan. one of my previous orders came without disc, I opened a paypal case because they did not answer my mails and now they closed my account and won't refund the money or ship the 2DS ;_;..credit card company already told me they can't help ._."..150€ just gone.

honestly, I'm sorry for the rant. but I'm sad and angry.

so now I'm playing yellow on my japanese 3DS~

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm in for Pokemon Primeape version.
Can't wait to have those old TMs again like BODY SLAM and softboiled.

I've still got my Pokemon Master Guide laying around so I may bust it out for those Oak tips...
9FYmYBS.jpg

Oh my god they had to be deliberately fucking with kids with some of these

I am gonna play this together with my girlfriend, I will get Red and she will get Blue.

It is sad that neither of us can play the Yellow Version, if we do we will not be able to complete the Pokedex :(

Top Bottom