• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon spot got too popular in Australia, confrontation with locals, cops called

massoluk

Banned
Some background: Rhodes is a suburb with a ton of high-density apartments, all clustered around the waterfront and a big IKEA/shopping mall.

When Pokémon Go was released last week, a combination of the high population density and a number of Pokestops in the suburb’s Peg Paterson Park meant that it was one of the best (and most popular) places in all of Sydney to catch some pocket monsters.

Massive crowds, sometimes peaking at over 1000 people, have flocked to the park, often late at night, and after a few evenings of this noise and bustle the residents of the apartment buildings overlooking the action have had enough.

“The reason why this location is so desirable is because there are three intersecting ‘PokéStops’,” a Rhodes resident who wanted to remain anonymous told BuzzFeed News.

“It results in triple experience points, triple monsters [Pokémon], and triple coins. There are also continual ‘lures’ in this zone, which means there is a constant flow of monsters.”

“The place is in complete chaos with crowds of well over 1,000 per night. There is a massive level of noise after midnight, uncontrollable traffic, excessive rubbish, smokers, drunk people, people who are ‘camping’ in the site, and even people peddling mobile phone chargers,” the resident said.

Last night, residents living in the apartment blocks surrounding the park took the law into their own hands, hurling waterbombs and eggs from balconies at people gathering below.

“Last night police threatened every attendee with a $200 fine for hanging around,” he said.

CnR_g6EW8AA7tHG.jpg

https://www.buzzfeed.com/bradesposito/pokemon-go-rhodes?utm_term=.uhv9AxBwo#.jh8EAQq94

via Kotaku

Don't be a nuisance, Pokemon Trainers
PS:To be fair, the cops said the crowd was generally well behaved.

Dennis

Banned
“The place is in complete chaos with crowds of well over 1,000 per night. There is a massive level of noise after midnight, uncontrollable traffic, excessive rubbish, smokers, drunk people, people who are ‘camping’ in the site, and even people peddling mobile phone chargers,” the resident said.

lol we all need to make a buck.

So how exactly do PokeSpot areas get decided? Because in my local newspaper today, I was reading about how the US Holocaust Museum had to ask people not to come there to play Pokemon.

Zambayoshi

I think some common decency is called for. These Pokemon Go users wouldn't like the situation to happen to them, so why inflict it on others?

throwing eggs and water bombs is pretty cold man

It's winter here, so you're right both literally and figuratively.

saunderez

They should arrest the residents for assault.

Not fond of people thinking they own public spaces.

And they should arrest the assholes camping out there after midnight making enough noise to disturb residents and trashing the place for being a public nuisance.That photo is fucking ridiculous.

Inumbris

I live here. So annoying.

I saw that a friend of a friend of mine on Facebook lives here as well, and was actually one of the people in the building who started throwing water bombs.

Understandable considering that according to him it was 1am on a weeknight and there were still tonnes of people outside making heaps of noise.

Tyrus

Banned
I like Pokemon Go but the obsession for some people is too much.

The heart of Melbourne CBD isn't much better. The crowds around the state library and other major places playing Go are so loud and obnoxious. One dude had the nerve to yell at the tram he nearly walked in front of while obviously playing it and made a stupid gesture and put a show. Neckbeard type so I cringed even harder.

They should arrest the residents for assault.

Not fond of people thinking they own public spaces.

Lmao, oh no they hurt the poor Pokemon Go trainer's feelings!

Never mind the sound pollution, mass littering, rudeness and general disregard for everyone else not playing the game who live nearby or have to move through the crowds.

The news about people going to graveyards and churches and other inappropriate places just to catch an AR-enabled Pokemon also makes me cringe for humanity.

So how exactly do PokeSpot areas get decided? Because in my local newspaper today, I was reading about how the US Holocaust Museum had to ask people not to come there to play Pokemon.
They were decided by the players and some team of devs with Ingress.

Players would register an area, and the devs would go through these registered areas and make them portals in Ingress.

Pokemon Go took most of these portals and turned them into gyms and Pokestops.

Kind of ridiculous that only three Pokestops are getting that much attention. Also, what could be a Pokestop at an apartment complex?

Inukage

Kings Park in Perth Western Australia is getting the similar flack from local residents as Pokemon Go players are apparently ruining the vibe :S

Lol, so out of control.
Not much time will pass before we know about the first accidents with people playing this thing and not noticing they're actually on the street.

massoluk

Banned
The way Ingress portals functions generally didn't encourage people to camp in just one spot with a lure. It encourage people to put up nodes/defense at the portals, move to the next to establish territories before the other team get in the way.

Last night, residents living in the apartment blocks surrounding the park took the law into their own hands, hurling waterbombs and eggs from balconies at people gathering below. “Last night police threatened every attendee with a $200 fine for hanging around,” he said.

"I gotcha Exeggcute right hyeah!"

True Fire

There are places like this all over Canada too. Free Wi-Fi/phone charger spots with 4 intersecting Pokestops. I checked my Pokemon Go emulator last night and I saw people there at like 4am.

MisterHero

Holy shit at that mass of people.

Do people have no self-control?
Each of them has to farm 100+ Magikarp

There's at least 1000 people at the gathering

that's 100,000 that need to be caught to even get a Gyarados.

the crowd repeats until they get a 'dos with good moves

also you have level the Gyarados, so get even more Magikarp

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I love that shit like this is becoming a thing. Like, sincerely. It's hilarious what happens when people go outside.

Neiteio

Uh-huh, suuure.

If that's really Australia, where are all the kangaroos? The crocodile hunters? EatsChildren?

Clearly fake.

Top Bottom