• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon spot got too popular in Australia, confrontation with locals, cops called

Permanently A

Is there some kind of advantage to playing this so late?

The reason people are sticking around is because those stops are being equipped with lures constantly resulting in a never ending stream of pokemon. At night time you might get different types of Pokemon, like I've seen a noticeable uptick of Ghost types at night.

Also, I can't really tell from the article - is the park public or private property? Are they legally allowed to be there at night?

Acerac

Banned
Luckily for me the best place to catch pokemon in my area is a park open 24 hours, people stay up catching at all hours there as well.

For those asking about prefering to catch at night, it's a lot more cool then, and you can turn the brightness way down, saving significant battery life.

Alucrid

Banned
I live just down the road from that spot. Went there yesterday afternoon and it was still packed.

Eventually someone yelled out that they found a new Pokemon across the street, so everyone started moving in a big group.

Crazy stuff.

see, the residents of the apartment just should have yelled that they found an articuno down the street and then bask in their peace and quiet

Are you fucking kidding me? 1000 people make fuckloads of noise and they shouldn't have to get ear plugs at night fuck that shit. Its called noise pollution and it is within their rights to call the cops.

Nah bruh just gotta build your tolerance to 1,000+ crowds outside your bedroom at night. This IS only the first week after all, let people have their fun!

dezzy8

Why is it annoying?

A group of people can't make that much noise. It's not like they're playing loud techno music or something.

Can you not imagine the amount of noise 100 or more people talking at the same time can make? Shit, 3 crackheads in front of my house is annoying as shit. I could see how these residents are pissed off.

saunderez

Like, what exactly is the problem with people playing videogames on their phone outside a cemetery or church? Are they bothering anyone?

Are you serious? Do you realise what the point of cemeterys and churches are?

And do you really think they would put up a sign if it was restricted to outside of the property?

DR2K

Banned
Are you serious? Do you realise what the point of cemeterys and churches are?

And do you really think they would put up a sign if it was restricted to outside of the property?

There's no harm unless there's a service going on.

saunderez

There's no harm unless there's a service going on.

Sure theres no harm if you have no respect for the people visiting to pay regards to their deceased love ones. A cemetery isn't a place for you to mill around with your friends staring at your phone. I'm absolutely amazed that I have to spell this out. And a church is private property so you sure as hell shouldn't be on the premises unless you are a member of the congregation.

Niantic needs to do something about the lure system. In crowded urban area with lots of pokestops clustered it can cause real congestion and noise problems. I think some kind of limit on how many times a lure module can be used on a pokestop in a day would help things.Or have a cooldown after one has been used.

DR2K

Banned
Sure theres no harm if you have no respect for the people visiting to pay regards to their deceased love ones. A cemetery isn't a place for you to mill around with your friends staring at your phone. I'm absolutely amazed that I have to spell this out. And a church is private property so you sure as hell shouldn't be on the premises unless you are a member of the congregation.

There's an open cemetery smack dab in the middle of my park. It's almost impossible not to jog by it or interact with it on some level.

saunderez

There's an open cemetery smack dab in the middle of my park. It's almost impossible not to jog by it or interact with it on some level.

In that case it's probably fine. Most cemeteries aren't like that though. The one in the picture with the sign says its a lawn memorial. You shouldn't be there unless you've got a family member buried there.

Tsunamo

I haven't played the game (phone's too old sadly) but is it possible to request getting your place taken down as a PokeStop?
throwing waterbombs and eggs at the people?

really?
Happens more often than you'd think in Aus at night.

Still a dick move though and the residents could have tried to handle it in a more civil way.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The only people that can do anything about this is Niantic and have them move poke spots to areas that aren't located in living spaces or controversial ones like the news keeps bringing up now.

On the contrary, controversial poke spots are getting this game even more airtime and press than before. If Niantic were smart they would add them to increasingly inappropriate locations, culminating in the announcement: Mewtwo can now exclusively be found in the Oval Office.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
the dead ain't gonna say shit they're dead
8HffpUN.gif

There's a time and place. Use your head.

In all honesty, I'm not being facetious here, if I'm at the cemetery to honor a loved one's grave, the fact that some bystander is standing on the sidewalk using their phone is probably the last thing I would care about or even notice. It wouldn't even occur to me to be bothered by it. Provided they're not being loud or getting in anyone's way.

Nosgotham

Niantic needs to do something about the lure system. In crowded urban area with lots of pokestops clustered it can cause real congestion and noise problems. I think some kind of limit on how many times a lure module can be used on a pokestop in a day would help things.Or have a cooldown after one has been used.

hell no. if i drive 15 minutes to hit up my park just to find out the ''limit has been reached'' ill be really deflated. it will discourage me and most people. they already said they are more than happy to remove stops if the owner contacts them

Nosgotham

In all honesty, I'm not being facetious here, if I'm at the cemetery to honor a loved one's grave, the fact that some bystander is standing on the sidewalk using their phone is probably the last thing I would care about or even notice. It wouldn't even occur to me to be bothered by it. Provided they're not being loud or getting in anyone's way.

it would be the ''fuck yeah! bulbasaur'', ''team mystic rules!!'', damnit my game froze fuck my life, i wish i was dead'' type shit that would put people of. i hear that stuff, obviously not all the time, but that type of banter by some people daily in te crowded spots

it would be the ''fuck yeah! bulbasaur'', ''team mystic rules!!'', damnit my game froze fuck my life, i wish i was dead'' type shit that would put people of. i hear that stuff, obviously not all the time, but that type of banter by some people daily in te crowded spots

Well then sure, not a good idea to have that around. I'm with you there.

Koyuga

the dead ain't gonna say shit they're dead

It's not for the dead, its for the families.
But yeah I really disagree with never going into a cemetery unless you have relatives buried there. Yeah, don't camp or have a picnic or anything but a stroll through is completely fine.

I love that shit like this is becoming a thing. Like, sincerely. It's hilarious what happens when people go outside.

Pokemon Go to be a solution to child obesity?

Wanna play this game? Yeah go fucking outside and collect them. Yes, you gotta walk and interact with other people. Deal with it.

Top Bottom