• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon spot got too popular in Australia, confrontation with locals, cops called

SuomiDude

Are you serious? Do you realise what the point of cemeterys and churches are?

And do you really think they would put up a sign if it was restricted to outside of the property?
I thought it was about being outside of the actual cemetary area, so unless that outside area is private property, there shouldn't be any problem hanging there. At least here where I live, we have at least 3 cemetaries in the middle of the city, public roads passing by just beside them as well. And that's totally normal for many Finnish cities.
Maybe in US for example, cemetaries are some well hidden places in the middle of nowhere, so I could understand if people don't just accidently go past them.

I thought it was about being outside of the actual cemetary area, so unless that outside area is private property, there shouldn't be any problem hanging there. At least here where I live, we have at least 3 cemetaries in the middle of the city, public roads passing by just beside them as well. And that's totally normal for many Finnish cities.
Maybe in US for example, cemetaries are some well hidden places in the middle of nowhere, so I could understand if people don't just accidently go past them.

I also assumed that we're talking about a road or sidewalk adjacent to the actual church or cemetery (I can't imagine that there are Pokestops inside churches or cemeteries, yikes). At least where I live in the U.S., churches and cemeteries are just normal places on normal roads, so... yeah. I don't agree with being offended if people are just being there, using their phones quietly and not making a scene. Being loud, drawing attention to yourself, that's a different story of course.

Jintor

On the contrary, controversial poke spots are getting this game even more airtime and press than before. If Niantic were smart they would add them to increasingly inappropriate locations, culminating in the announcement: Mewtwo can now exclusively be found in the Oval Office.

there's a snorlax already controlling the pentagon iirc

saunderez

At least here where I live, we have at least 3 cemetaries in the middle of the city, public roads passing by just beside them as well. And that's totally normal for many Finnish cities.

I can't speak for the US but in Australia cemeteries aren't necessarily hidden or in the middle of nowhere but the majority I've been to (for funeral services, or to visit relatives etc) aren't somewhere you would pass through to get to somewhere else. They're fenced and well kept and you generally have no business being there unless you're attending a funeral or visiting a plot. Most are technically public land since they're owned by local councils etc, and obviously I don't have a problem if people are respectful, but considering the article in the OP there are clearly problems with respecting the locals with at least some of the people doing this and these people shouldn't be encouraged to camp out cemeteries.

Dr. Worm

Banned
Would it be feasible for Niantic to decrease the Poké Spot regeneration rate, but increase output somewhat to compensate? It'd probably stop people from sitting around and abusing overlapping Spots, at the very least; five minutes is absurdly short, and it definitely contributes to people forming crowds like this and milling around near private property.

kennyamr

I wonder if someone could sue Nintendo or the respective subsidiaries for inducing people into doing something that may disturb others.

Let's say there is a very sick person that needs rest living in one of those apartments and the noise coming from outside doesn't stop even at night.

Sadly I'm not a lawyer :p

bunkitz

Damn. Pokemon Go's really... making an impact. At least they were generally well behaved, though. It's gonna get really crazy once it launches in other countries.

Were they bogans?

Fucking Bogans.

I wonder what kind of pokemon a Bogan is.

That is kind of nuts that people would get in a fight over that stuff... then again looking at all the other Pokemon GO news... eh somehow I am not surprised that much.

Atomski

Part of me find this funny.. reminds me of the 90s when teens would mass congregate at malls and places around town. It's like we forgot what this was.

Wait people are like outside chilling with each other? Wtf.. go home and watch TV you filthy outsiders.

redcrayon

Throwing water balloons?
What about ear plugs?
I guess I have a high tolerance for noise if it's not ultra repetitive.
The game isn't even out since one week, I think it's a bit premature to call the cops already.
Low tolerance IMO.
You're looking at this only from the perspective of an adult.

Do you know who also has a low noise tolerance and can't use earplugs? Babies. If there were a thousand players gathered around my house when I was trying to get my family to sleep I wouldn't be very happy either. Complete lack of social awareness outside of the social requirements to gain Xp and pocket monsters.

SuomiDude

I can't speak for the US but in Australia cemeteries aren't necessarily hidden or in the middle of nowhere but the majority I've been to (for funeral services, or to visit relatives etc) aren't somewhere you would pass through to get to somewhere else. They're fenced and well kept and you generally have no business being there unless you're attending a funeral or visiting a plot. Most are technically public land since they're owned by local councils etc, and obviously I don't have a problem if people are respectful, but considering the article in the OP there are clearly problems with respecting the locals with at least some of the people doing this and these people shouldn't be encouraged to camp out cemeteries.
Of course cemetaries here are fenced a well, but there's even bus stops right beside them. Especially one cemetary is in the centrum of the city, has a bus stop next to it (lots of tourist busses stop there), is a normal pass though place to get to the other side (no cycling allowed though) where there's a shopping center etc. And we don't see anything disrespectful to pass by it. Sure if you just stay there all day long looking at your phone, then yeah, it'd be kind of weird. But we aren't really overly religious people anyway, so maybe our culture differs from countries where religion is much highly popular.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Part of me find this funny.. reminds me of the 90s when teens would mass congregate at malls and places around town. It's like we forgot what this was.

Wait people are like outside chilling with each other? Wtf.. go home and watch TV you filthy outsiders.

Teens still did that before Pokemon Go, you know.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Do you know who also has a low noise tolerance and can't use earplugs? Babies. If there were a thousand players gathered around my house when I was trying to get my family to sleep I wouldn't be very happy either. Complete lack of social awareness outside of the social requirements to gain Xp and pocket monsters.

Exactly. I would be super pissed if idiots did this at midnight around my apartment block.

Rich!

If I lived there, and this bunch of cunts kept me and my daughter awake each night when I have a job to be up for early each morning, you bet your ass I'd be leading the charge with the eggs and flour raining hell from above.

And baked beans.

redcrayon

A few dozen people chilling and making some noise at a shopping centre is different to a thousand gathering in the middle of the night in a residential area. One of those areas has large numbers of people trying to sleep.

Hah @ people peddling mobile phone chargers. I should laugh though, feel bad for the residents. During the day is one thing, but after midnight...? That's uncalled for. Especially this many people.

Codeblue

I don't understand the water balloons and eggs. No one there is going to respect anything you have to say or care. In fact, you've just increased the noise level because now people are yelling at you from several stories down. The cops said the crowd was generally cooperative. Why not just call an authority figure that people will actually listen to? Seems like a good way to resolve the situation without being a total dick.

saunderez

If I lived there, and this bunch of cunts kept me and my daughter awake each night when I have a job to be up for early each morning, you bet your ass I'd be leading the charge with the eggs and flour raining hell from above.

And baked beans.

A hose from one of the balconies above the park would do a pretty good job of watering the grass. Amongst other things.

And baked beans.

I dunno, free baked beans would likely draw an even bigger crowd.

Rich!

I don't understand the water balloons and eggs. No one there is going to respect anything you have to say or care. In fact, you've just increased the noise level because now people are yelling at you from several stories down. The cops said the crowd was generally cooperative. Why not just call an authority figure that people will actually listen to? Seems like a good way to resolve the situation without being a total dick.

No. Throw a few washing up bowls full of soup and baked beans at them and eventually they'll get the message.

Going to a residential area and being a total cunt requires the favour to be returned swiftly.

And yes, a hose would be a great idea too.

Last night, residents living in the apartment blocks surrounding the park took the law into their own hands, hurling waterbombs and eggs from balconies at people gathering below.

Fuck those residents then. I was with them up until then, but now I hope they trash that park every single night for the rest of the year. "You're loud, so I can assault you" yeah no...

Rich!

Fuck those residents then. I was with them up until then, but knowing this, I hope they trash that park every single night for the rest of the year.

If I went to your home and started a party on your doorstep and the police did fuck all, you'd be alright with it then? Oh, and it's going to be every night for the foreseeable future, thanks.

Fuck your sleep, fuck your career and if you've got children, I guess to hell with them too.

The point is, don't be surprised that people lose their temper.

saunderez

If I went to your home and started a party on your doorstep and the police did fuck all, you'd be alright with it then? Oh, and it's going to be every night for the foreseeable future, thanks.

Only one way to find out.....I'm good for one carton of beer, you good for bringing one too? That'll at least get things started.

saunderez

Australia's a bit of a walk for me from south england

If I can convince Niantic to put a few (thousand) Pokestops in the Pacific eventually the assholes will find their way to you. (I'm nearly 2000km from Sydney so I'm not that close myself).

redcrayon

Fuck those residents then. I was with them up until then, but now I hope they trash that park every single night for the rest of the year. "You're loud, so I can assault you" yeah no...
"A tiny minority of you got frustrated after night after night of this gathering happening with no end in sight, and threw eggs. That means we can continue to have fuck-all social awareness, trash your estate every night and ruin the sleep of hundreds of innocent adults and children that actually live there for the rest of the year" Yeah, no. There is no equivalence there.

Sure, the crowd was largely co-operative. But I bet the residents were largely non-violent too. The answer is for Niantic to reduce the number of poke stops there to one, or shift them to a local park or something instead. Thing is, this is going to happen globally due to the nature of the stops- it's not like Niantic deliberately placed them there, and they are going to be swamped with requests to remove them once this thing takes off worldwide.

Codeblue

No. Throw a few washing up bowls full of soup and baked beans at them and eventually they'll get the message.

Going to a residential area and being a total cunt requires the favour to be returned swiftly.

And yes, a hose would be a great idea too.

There's a difference between being an ignorant, oblivious moron and being deliberately malicious. You're not the only one capable of short sighted aggressive behaviour. There's a thousand people down there, someone's eventually going to return the favor.

Rich!

There's a difference between being an ignorant, oblivious moron and being deliberately malicious. You're not the only one capable of short sighted aggressive behaviour. There's a thousand people down there, someone's eventually going to return the favor.

I'm an ignorant, short sighted moron because I choose to react to a bunch of cunts are keeping me awake all night each night and affecting and potentially ruining my career and income?

Nah, it's best to have a sensible chuckle and let them play. Of course.

I mean it's irrelevant, I don't even live there, but I've been in similar situations here in the UK and I've ended up in physical fights. So whatever.

I swear, some people live in cloud cuckoo land where everything is right and dandy all the time regardless of real world responsibilities and commitments.

Anger wins out nearly all the time, and it's a shame, but it's life. Mess with people's homes and livelihoods and of course there will be a reaction.

DanielJr82

I give the hype a few months before it dies down. Kind of a scary that a crowd like that gathers for a game, though. I certainly wouldn't want a crowd that late at night where I live; I gotta go to work bright and early! (Edit: Although I'm currently on vacation. =) )

For reference, I'm in the US and I live directly across from a Jewish cemetery that's only closed at night and on Saturday. Literally, it is right across the street from me. I don't see any harm in traveling to a cemetery for a stroll with some Pokemon Go, but if you're disrespectfully loud or otherwise that's when there's a problem. Otherwise if someone has a problem I'd say that's an issue with them and not with anyone passing through.

Codeblue

I'm an ignorant, short sighted moron because I choose to react to a bunch of cunts are keeping me awake all night each night and affecting and potentially ruining my career and income?

Nah, it's best to have a sensible chuckle and let them play. Of course.

I mean it's irrelevant, I don't even live there, but I've been in similar situations here in the UK and I've ended up in physical fights. So whatever.

I swear, some people live in cloud cuckoo land where everything is right and dandy all the time regardless of real world responsibilities and commitments.

Anger wins out nearly all the time, and it's a shame, but it's life. Mess with people's homes and livelihoods and of course there will be a reaction.

Man, I didn't call you a moron or suggest these things should slide. I'm just saying getting into fist fights and dumping crap on people is going to escalate the noise level. You're exacerbating the problem and you join the mob of people being inconsiderate to your neighbors.

Justinh

My local cemetery had to put up a new sign today

http://imgur.com/oitUJgf
Geez, do people have no shame/respect anymore?
NlPZ6Oj.jpg

your ass I'd be leading the charge with the eggs and flour raining hell from above.

And baked beans.
So, you're going to feed them? Probably not the best strategy...

How are these spots being established? Is it just where people gather?
These people in the group need to seriously go somewhere else.

Fuck this idea the whole way. Not only is it a shitty thing to say, but it's just going to make people look even less favorably on people who play Pokemon Go.

Some people in this thread. Fucking hell. Are you this clueless in real life?

Mate it ain't the dead we should be respecting, it's the fucking families who need to grieve over them. The dead mean something to them. (Saying this as some who agrees with your perspective on death) How do you not get that??

And baked beans.
Hahaha, what a hit.

First water. Then eggs. Then flour. Finally, the baked beans for good measure. There's a poster in this thread that lives in the neighbourhood. Do it and take some pictures, please ;-)

3phemeral

Why is it annoying?

A group of people can't make that much noise. It's not like they're playing loud techno music or something.

The last event I went to, there was a guy who thought he was funny telling awkward jokes into a megaphone. Luckily, it was downtown among shops that had already closed, but using a megaphone when you're a few feet from a group of people isn't a very pleasant experience. The guy he was with was also playing loud techno music.

Don't ruin it for the rest of us!

Top Bottom