• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon spot got too popular in Australia, confrontation with locals, cops called

On one hand, 1000 people is a lot. So much that it almost makes me doubt the number, but I'll assume it's accurate to some degree. On the other, the apartment are near a shopping mall and IKEA. Some degree of noise should be expected. Edit: Although I'm not sure how things work in Australia. The nearby shopping mall in my city is open almost 24 hours. I could be missing something.

I think both "sides" are in the wrong. The players obviously more so since they "started" it.

On the church and cemetery aspect, both are tax exempt so I feel that - within reason - there isn't a real reason people can't play there assuming there isn't a service of some sort.

You don't assault people over noise pollution. You call the cops and let them handle it.

Unorganised large crowds can be very nasty. The longer one exists, the more likely it is that someone gets hurts or property gets destroyed. Cops should be called in case of unorganised large crowds that get disruptive, if for nothing else than to observe the situation.

Fuck those residents then. I was with them up until then, but now I hope they trash that park every single night for the rest of the year. "You're loud, so I can assault you" yeah no...

One person in apartment building fucks up and you blame all of them? Once again, call the cops instead of harassing the culprits family and friends.

Jintor

On one hand, 1000 people is a lot. So much that it almost makes me doubt the number, but I'll assume it's accurate to some degree. On the other, the apartment are near a shopping mall and IKEA. Some degree of noise should be expected. Edit: Although I'm not sure how things work in Australia. The nearby shopping mall in my city is open almost 24 hours. I could be missing something.

I think both "sides" are in the wrong. The players obviously more so since they "started" it.

On the church and cemetery aspect, both are tax exempt so I feel that - within reason - there isn't a real reason people can't play there assuming there isn't a service of some sort.

most aussie shopping malls are not 24 hours. Probably shuts down at 8 or 9. The ikea definitely doesn't.

I mean loud or not assault is a pretty uncool way to deal with the problem. A lot of people shaking their heads about human decency in this thread seem to be advocating assault at the same time which is a really boggling thing to me. What should have happened is the police should break up the congregation and no one should be throwing anything at anyone. The Pokemon Go guys are definitely lacking manners here, too. It should be common decency to come and go to Pokestops that are populated, not to sit there all night having some kind of party.

Yeah, the 1,000 number has definitely been inflated to an absurd degree by Buzzfeed (or rather, whoever Buzzfeed spoke with). Having been to the park a few times now, it simply isn't that big, and initial reports had it at 300 people.

Fox Mulder

I'm just waiting for promotions like every Mcdonalds becoming a pokestop. It's just a matter of time.

yep, the current pokestop/gym locations are from an older less popular game. Lots of local businesses or even churches are unwillingly tagged when Gamestop and Mcdonalds would probably gladly pay for the traffic.

For reference, I'm in the US and I live directly across from a Jewish cemetery that's only closed at night and on Saturday. Literally, it is right across the street from me. I don't see any harm in traveling to a cemetery for a stroll with some Pokemon Go, but if you're disrespectfully loud or otherwise that's when there's a problem. Otherwise if someone has a problem I'd say that's an issue with them and not with anyone passing through.

I think the big problem here isn't that it's one or two guys walking quietly around a cemetery with their phones out. It's big groups of people gathering there and being a nuisance to everyone else.

I like Pokemon Go but the obsession for some people is too much.

The heart of Melbourne CBD isn't much better. The crowds around the state library and other major places playing Go are so loud and obnoxious. One dude had the nerve to yell at the tram he nearly walked in front of while obviously playing it and made a stupid gesture and put a show.
Only a matter of time until the first Pokedeath.

Haha, its not even released in Sweden yet, but still the police made an official statement about "Big Group of people wandering around in a zombie like state can be hazardious” and every newspaper is reporting about this now

Also another incident last evening where the cops were called out to a place where people had seen a mysterious man walking around with a gun. When the police surrounded him ready to trigger it turned out he was playing Pokemon Go…

Cant wait for the news from China and Japan once this gets released

My wife was at the park with our son today and she knew there was a gym there so she had a go at her first gym battle to see what the fuss was about. Apparently almost immediately someone across the road opened their front door and yelled across the road and park "you'll never beat me!" and then slammed the door on her. Incredible.

Taruranto

Do these residents know Jesus loves Pokemon Go?

mMlPuC6.jpg

Rikkun

Feels like people living there should grow up a bit.
If you want to get rid of it just let the cops get in touch with the developers and ask to move the pokestops in another place.
I live in the city center of a town with a big university. People will party all night, every night, you can't stop people from visiting a public place.

Neiteio

My wife was at the park with our son today and she knew there was a gym there so she had a go at her first gym battle to see what the fuss was about. Apparently almost immediately someone across the road opened their front door and yelled across the road and park "you'll never beat me!" and then slammed the door on her. Incredible.
Haha, this sounds like a Scooby Doo villain. "And I would've gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids!"

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
100% on side with the residents. Hundreds of people hanging outside your place at 1am on a weeknight? Get the hell out.

Feels like people living there should grow up a bit.
If you want to get rid of it just let the cops get in touch with the developers and ask to move the pokestops in another place.
I live in the city center of a town with a big university. People will party all night, every night, you can't stop people from visiting a public place.
Yes you can.

There are laws about public disturbances and noise ordinances for a reason.

Does these residents know Jesus loves Pokemon Go?

mMlPuC6.jpg

I know a couple of pastors. They're both trying very hard to take advantage of this Pokemon Go craze. Reading this story about PokeStops in a residential area causing unwelcome issues, sticking so many of them at churches makes all the sense in the world to me. They're some of the only people who would welcome a crowd of strangers milling around outside.

One of them has actually been dropping lures outside his church when he has time to talk to people.

Asd202

Throwing water balloons?
What about ear plugs?
I guess I have a high tolerance for noise if it's not ultra repetitive.
The game isn't even out since one week, I think it's a bit premature to call the cops already.
Low tolerance IMO.

lol this post.

UltraJay

You can make a request to remove your location as a Pokestop or Gym.

Problem solved.

That goes for this place, that cemetery and any other place that doesn't want all the attention. No need to put up signs saying "NO GAMING ALLOWED" and having to deal with enforcing that rule.

The stop will simply cease to exist and people will flock elsewhere, maybe to a church or local business that welcomes the crowd.

EDIT: For the people saying they live there: Let your building's administration know that they can contact Niantic.

Game's not out here yet, but I downloaded the apk anyway. Couldn't find more than a single Pokemon (Shellder) on our property. :(

But yeah, they can fill out a contact form easily to move the pokestop.

Rich!

Game's not out here yet, but I downloaded the apk anyway. Couldn't find more than a single Pokemon (Shellder) on our property. :(

But yeah, they can fill out a contact form easily to move the pokestop.

the only location I found near me (here in the UK) was in the middle of a 70mph dual carridgeway

The_Kid

I don't know, the second residents started throwing water bombs they lost my sympathy. Getting hit with one of those could destroy a phone, something someone probably hundreds of dollars for.

I don't know, the second residents started throwing water bombs they lost my sympathy. Getting hit with one of those could destroy a phone, something someone probably hundreds of dollars for.
What a loss that would be.

But yeah, you know, a few residents chucking water bombs really makes me lose sympathy for all the residents of that apartment block. What a bunch of shits amirite?

2 guys in a car did a traffic violation hunting for Pokemon in my city. Cops tried to arrest them but they didn't pay attention. They went to a parking to catch one and backed up right in the police car following them. What?

The_Kid

What a loss that would be.

But yeah, you know, a few residents chucking water bombs really makes me lose sympathy for all the residents of that apartment block. What a bunch of shits amirite?

I know it'd be a huge loss to me. Maybe not to you. And I didn't emphasize all residents, really only meant the ones who threw the balloons and eggs.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Brexit wouldn't have happened if there where Pokestops at the polling stations.

Top Bottom