• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun/Moon new info - Starter evolutions, Demo, Ash-Greninja

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I think people only see Meganium as gendered because Ash's was a female. All three of the Johto starters have always seemed completely gender neutral to me. Probably the most neutral of all the generations.

Yeah, agreed. Meganium is a dinosaur with a flower frill. There are no clear sex traits and nothing that conforms to any specific gender role, other than perhaps a general association of flowers with feminity, which is pretty weak. Both of the first two generations are pretty clear of gender associations for the starters.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Actually it's probably that way to make breeding harder so that there's less starters getting bred. It would make sense if of course there wasn't a ditto farm so readily available like in X/Y (seriously pokemon village has no other purposes).

But gender was introduced in gen 2, where Ditto could be caught the route immediately preceding the daycare center, so it made absolutely no difference. Just a baffling decision.

Delio

Yeah, agreed. Meganium is a dinosaur with a flower frill. There are no clear sex traits and nothing that conforms to any specific gender role, other than perhaps a general association of flowers with feminity, which is pretty weak. Both of the first two generations are pretty clear of gender associations for the starters.

I know a friend of mine simply called it girly cause it had pearls around it's neck AND then pointed to the flower. It's annoying that a flower makes someone think that.

But gender was introduced in gen 2, where Ditto could be caught the route immediately preceding the daycare center, so it made absolutely no difference. Just a baffling decision.

Egg moves used to only be passed through the father. I always assumed it to make it harder for egg moves to be passed to "rare" Pokemon. Other Pokemon, like the fossils, have the same gender ratio, for what I assume is the same reason.

DylanEno

Reading Torracat's description on the official website...

The cat punch that this Pokémon can dish out with its strong forelegs is extremely powerful. It can bend iron bars and knock out large men with a single blow!

...yeah, this thing is gonna be a bipedal fire fighting type 100%.

CloudWolf

I continue to be very unhappy with how this gen is turning out.

I'm running spreadsheets to track my score for every design out of 10 and so far the numbers look like this:

Average Score for a new Pokemon: 5.0000
Average Score (including Alolan Forms): 4.842105263
Average Score (including Alolan AND New Forms): 4.850746269
Average Score (All Designs): 4.828571429

To contrast, by far my least favorite Gen is Gen V which has an average score of 5.91025641.
Favorite Gen (II) has an average score of 8.41.

Gen VII continues to be the slow meteor of doom for me.

Never change, Cipher.

Neiteio

Reading Torracat's description on the official website...

...yeah, this thing is gonna be a bipedal fire fighting type 100%.
I hardly think that's proof of anything. Dark-types have all kinds of moves that would sound like Fighting-type on paper. That's because they are "fighters," but not the honorable sort. They're thugs, ruffians, heels.

It's entirely possible Torracat will evolve into a heel wrestler who's Fire/Dark, who uses his muscles to rough up people like a thug. This is what I'm currently expecting.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
With Torracat's eyes not being full circles anymore and a bit more angular, will people stop with the "HIS FACE IS SULFUR" nonsense?

DylanEno

I hardly think that's proof of anything. Dark-types have all kinds of moves that would sound like Fighting-type on paper. That's because they are "fighters," but not the honorable sort. They're thugs, ruffians, heels.

It's entirely possible Torracat will evolve into a heel wrestler who's Fire/Dark, who uses his muscles to rough up people like a thug. This is what I'm currently expecting.
Idk but I hope you're right.

I also always perceived the Chikorita line as feminine. It's really the only starter that appears to be distinctly female - all of the others appear to me as male.

I am sure the fact that most starters actually are gendered male mechanically has contributed to that. Somehow, though, Meganium has escaped it for me.

Talking about Pokémon genders is always interesting to me because Pokémon are obviously non-human creatures with unrelatable sex characteristics. If we perceive a particular Pokémon as male or female, it is mostly a projection of our psychology.

MicH

Can I just say that Torracat looks a million times better than Litten? I really like the design, didn't care much for Litten at all. Too bad it's inevitably turning into yet another bipedal Fire/Fighting starter :(

Neiteio

Idk but I hope you're right.
I mean, sure, I can also see it being Fire/Fighting, if only to continue the tradition. But I think there's a good chance he'll be a Fire/Dark, the idea being he's a heel wrestler who uses his muscle to rough up people. His leaked concept art had a note that he "uses dirty tactics," for example, like "spitting embers in his opponent's face." (Spitting in an opponent's face is a classic heel trick.) Masuda is a big wrestling fan, judging from his Twitter, so I think a Fire/Dark heel wrestler may be in order.

DylanEno

Which is basically Mega Evolution.
Yes.

But it's not. Hence why they don't call it "Mega Greninja." It's not something you can trigger by just pressing a button and instantly evolving it. You have to take out an enemy Pokémon with it, and then it'll transform into Ash-Greninja as a result of its ability.

CloudWolf

I don't get why the return of Mega Evolutions is considered news by the way. I mean, they were introduced in the last generation, it's not like they've been gone.

Neiteio

I also always perceived the Chikorita line as feminine. It's really the only starter that appears to be distinctly female - all of the others appear to me as male.

I am sure the fact that most starters actually are gendered male mechanically has contributed to that. Somehow, though, Meganium has escaped it for me.

Talking about Pokémon genders is always interesting to me because Pokémon are obviously non-human creatures with unrelatable sex characteristics. If we perceive a particular Pokémon as male or female, it is mostly a projection of our psychology.
Thinking back, I mainly perceive Serperior to be female (I think it's the eyes), and the entire Fennekin line (for obvious reasons). And now the Popplio line.

DylanEno

My biggest issue with Brionne is the Love Live eyes. It sticks out to me. Give it Popplio's eyes and I'd be fine with it.
Well I mean it is the idol / pop star Pokémon. It fits. And it looks unique from other Pokémon eyes, so I don't get the hate for it. :U

Neiteio

Brionne looks unique among Pokemon (an increasingly difficult feat with 700-800+ creatures in existence). And yet, she still looks like a Pokemon. That makes her a good design in my book.

In general, I like it when Pokemon surprise me with their designs. The ones that seem the strangest to me at first usually end up being my favorites. Especially once I see them from other angles and in motion and understand their layered motifs.

My favorite design among the midforms is Torracat, though. I'm increasingly leaning toward the Litten line, if I had to pick one, although I really love all three and would like to go through the main adventure with all three starters.

JoeM86

Oh yeah, menus are a thing

Ct8VWtrWIAEn0hr.jpg
Ct8VczlXEAE9cIM.jpg

It's split into two pages
Page 1
-Pokémon
-Pokédex
-Bag
-Save
-Quick Communication
-Festival Plaza
Page 2:
-Trainer Pass
-Poké Pelago
-Pokémon Refresh
-QR Scan
-Battle Video
-Options

Not as slick and quick as the PSS and UI in general in Gen VI, but at least you can access all these things so easily.

My only issue is that accessing GTS, Battles, Trades etc. in the Festival Plaza seems more cumbersome than what we have had the last 3 years

I've always really disliked this. It's just annoying and borderline discriminatory. You can't really retcon it now for previous starters because of trade compatibility, but I would really like to see newly designed starters have equal gender ratios from here on in.

I was also hoping this would eventually be dropped, since breeding your male starter for more of 'em is still very much possible with a Ditto that can be easily traded to you nowadays (ignoring the fact that at the beginning of each gen, if Ditto isn't available, there's no way to do so until post-game). Regardless, I say; ENOUGH.

My only issue is that accessing GTS, Battles, Trades etc. in the Festival Plaza seems more cumbersome than what we have had the last 3 years

Hopefully "Quick Communication" let's you use those from one menu. Otherwise that would be a huge step back from how convenient it all was in Gen VI.

Oh yeah, menus are a thing

Not as slick and quick as the PSS and UI in general in Gen VI, but at least you can access all these things so easily.

I'm pretty impressed on the loading for the Festival Plaza. While it's definitely more cumbersome than the PSS, it doesn't seem like they killed the feature by having it take forever to load.

Delio

holy shit why

even the king's stripe doesn't look like the supposed brimstone symbol anymore!

I think it's mostly people wanting to dismiss Lucha Litten as much as possible.

I mean, sure, I can also see it being Fire/Fighting, if only to continue the tradition. But I think there's a good chance he'll be a Fire/Dark, the idea being he's a heel wrestler who uses his muscle to rough up people. His leaked concept art had a note that he "uses dirty tactics," for example, like "spitting embers in his opponent's face." (Spitting in an opponent's face is a classic heel trick.) Masuda is a big wrestling fan, judging from his Twitter, so I think a Fire/Dark heel wrestler may be in order.

Isnt it already breaking tradition if it did turn Fire/Fighting? All of the other Fire starters who went that way got Fighting in their mid evolution. Unless im wrong.

Spyware

Hrm. Aside from Braixen I don't see any old starter as feminine. No, not even Delphox. It can just as well be a wizard dude for me. Some art make it seem slightly more feminine but in game it's whatever for me.
Most are gender neutral and some are more masculine.
Mermaid Popplio is the first really, really feminine one and the reactions to that are... saddening. :/

Gleethor

Poke Pelago is something I've wanted for a long time. I hope future gens include it in higher fidelity and level of interaction.

I hope this is the end of official trailers. I don't want any more new Pokemon reveals at all from Nintendo, because I still want to be surprised. The final evolutions will be a mystery to me when the game comes out, since I have not clicked on any pre-trailer leaks.

That said, I'm not digging these starters. I don't know if the final forms will affect my opinion. This set may be the weakest aside from Gen 5. Rowlet and Dartrix are the only bright spots now.

Neiteio

I think it's mostly people wanting to dismiss Lucha Litten as much as possible.

Isnt it already breaking tradition if it did turn Fire/Fighting? All of the other Fire starters who went that way got Fighting in their mid evolution. Unless im wrong.
Not sure. But yeah, tradition has already been broken, if nothing else by way of Fire/Psychic Delphox. A Fire/Dark heel wrestler seems like a nice follow-up to that (completing the triangle of Fighting - Psychic - Dark).

Neiteio

I think today's announcement of sharing teams for rental is probably the point at which I'm now really, truly excited to actually PLAY this game. Like, the way this opens up our ability to experiment with new Pokemon and new strategies is just amazing. I can see myself just trying out different teams online and using Pokemon, moves, abilities, etc, I might not use ordinarily because I don't want to put in all the time raising them.

JoeM86

I hope this is the end of official trailers. I don't want any more new Pokemon reveals at all from Nintendo, because I still want to be surprised. The final evolutions will be a mystery to me when the game comes out, since I have not clicked on any pre-trailer leaks.

That said, I'm not digging these starters. I don't know if the final forms will affect my opinion. This set may be the weakest aside from Gen 5. Rowlet and Dartrix are the only bright spots now.

Don't worry, there's plenty of reveals from The Pokémon Company to come :p

Mael

-_-', GF giveth, GF taketh away.
Maybe they forward thought of future game where they could make dittos rare and thus make starter breeding harder.
It kinda makes sense in a weird way.
Like in ROSA, dittos are a pain to get so if you don't have a female you're not going to be farming starters like there's a famine of starters to quench somewhere else.

Neiteio

Still plenty of surprises left. Like the (highly probable) evolutions for Komala, Pikipek, Pyukumuku, etc. Oh, and that dragon they announced alongside Type Null. Wonder what he'll evolve into.

Dekuboy

Neo Member
I just hope we will get a Ditto in the National Dex. Resetting all the starters for them beeing female will be really annoying.

Also I am curious about the Popplio gender. Still 87,5% Male? So I think I will now avoid all the trailers, just watch if there will be split-evos for starters (I don´t think so). Maybe I look stats and attacks up, so I can at least get Litten with the Nature I want.

My biggest issue with Brionne is the Love Live eyes. It sticks out to me. Give it Popplio's eyes and I'd be fine with it.

I think everyone allows themselves one bone-deep rejection of a common design motif, and this one is mine: I hate pop idols.

I dislike virtually everything about them, their aesthetics among the offending, so Popplio becoming a Pop-Idolio is particularly disappointing for me. I liked it better as a circus seal.

Thankfully, I have been wooed by the other two midforms quite successfully. I look forward to using and encountering them, especially since I have not been really pleased with the starters since Generation IV.

I really love our fire tiger.

Delio

Not sure. But yeah, tradition has already been broken, if nothing else by way of Fire/Psychic Delphox. A Fire/Dark heel wrestler seems like a nice follow-up to that (completing the triangle of Fighting - Psychic - Dark).

It would be nice to complete the triangle. I'm sticking with Fire/Dark till the end. If im wrong im wrong.

Top Bottom