• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokken Tournament co-developed with Harada and Namco Bandai Announced for arcades

Prepare for a Gundam Extreme Vs-style release. This game will come out on Arcades, then two years later on consoles. However, right after they announce a home port, they'll announce a new version with new characters and modes for Arcade. Then two years later THAT will come out on consoles, only to have a new arcade version announced right after.

ZeroX03

Banned
I actually like that idea. There are enough traditional Fighting Games out there. Trying something new is always good in my book. This doesn't mean it won't be competitive. It's just gonna be easier to get into.

Smash does things it's own way and has forged a unique place for itself in the market. This could do the same.

Prepare for a Gundam Extreme Vs-style release. This game will come out on Arcades, then two years later on consoles. However, right after they announce a home port, they'll announce a new version with new characters and modes for Arcade. Then two years later THAT will come out on consoles, only to have a new arcade version announced right after.

Ahhhhhh, nope.

synce

WTF is the point of this? Nintendo already has a fighting game and so does Harada. At this rate maybe we'll see Tekken 7 in 2018, just maybe.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Again I find stupid this kind of secrecy, but whatever. I can't imagine how, but probably there are people out there who are not buying a game unless there is this kind of game "will it come?". It's a little bit treating you customers like being trained monkeys or something, but whatever works.

It should be fine as a 2016 release on Wii U, 2015 is already packed.

This has probably been posted, but from the Siliconera article:

Harada also announced the official Twitter account for Pokkén Tournament, and urged fans to tweet what new Pokémon they’d like to see, as there’s still a ways to go until the game’s roster is complete.

So, I guess I better start tweeting Golduck like crazy!

Azure J

Just saw the trailer and caught up on the thread. This is still so surreal a game for me. Maining Blaziken all day erry day though.

Mlatador

Banned

I don't thing so! Pokemon is a super huge franchise that is known all over the world and not only super big in Japan (in contrast to Gundam), so Nintendo and Namco will definitely make sure it gets worldwide exposure (= Wii U console release).

sörine

Banned
I think it'll be more like Tekken with the consumer release 6-12 months later and possibly coming after a 2nd arcade update. Depending on how late it is I could see Wii U/next handheld multi.

I also wonder what Arcade board Namco's using? Probably custom Wii U based but it'd be funny if it was System 357/369 (PS3 based).

Exile20

WTF is the point of this? Nintendo already has a fighting game and so does Harada. At this rate maybe we'll see Tekken 7 in 2018, just maybe.

So basically you are pissed that he is working on Pokken instead of T7.

Why can't Nintendo have two fighting games?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
My Guesses:

Gen I: Charizard, Pikachu (in Luchador cosplay), Machamp, Mewtwo
Gen II: Scizor, Ursaring, Hitmontop, Tyranitar
Gen III: Blaziken, Gardevoir, Hariyama, Deoxys (with the ability to change formes)
Gen IV: Garchomp, Lucario, Toxicroak, Darkrai
Gen V: Conkeldurr, Scrafty, Haxorus, Genesect
Gen VI: Greninja, Pangoro, Aegislash, Hawlucha

Or perhaps because it's just early, and we still got quite a ways to go before this game is ready its first loke test in Japan.

Possibly.

They trademarked two names, Pokken Tournament(which the arcade game is called), and Pokken Fighters, which might be the Wii U version.

The original teaser vs this arcade trailer has a similar quality difference between mk8 and the new mk arcade game.

NEO0MJ

One thing I like is how Machamp looks

screenShot04.png

Most of the time his abs are either non-existent or squeezed so much that he looked deformed, and that his arms and shoulder are way too out of proportion. Here he looks perfect, and even has an existing abdomen!

Are you disappointed however by the lack of nipples?

JoeM86

The original teaser we only saw through cam footage, so any flaws were likely removed due to focus, glare etc.

I'd say this teaser looks better, to be honest.

Zubz

Banned
One thing I like is how Machamp looks

screenShot04.png

Most of the time his abs are either non-existent or squeezed so much that he looked deformed, and that his arms and shoulder are way too out of proportion. Here he looks perfect, and even has an existing abdomen!

image.php

I'd like to see a Digimon guest, but I'd much rather just have the sequel be Pokemon X Digimon.
Either that or Agumon DLC in SSB4?

I am there day zero if/when a Wii u version happens and will organize a road trip to try it if any place anywhere near me imports an arcade machine of it.

Swarna

So because of this game I searched up "wii u arcade stick" and I just found out that Tekken TTT2 has a Wii U version. lol Very odd that I missed that.

Tekken was done on a PS3-based board so I'm guessing there's almost no chance it's being made for Taito, right? Really wish it was on Taito, though, for the off-chance we could emulate it on PC like Blazblue CS/SF4AE during the presumably long wait until the Wii U/next Nintendo console release.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

I understand your pain (I have such tiny interest in Pokemon, and my eyebrows arch whenever I'm faced with it's massive popularity), but Harada said he's interested in starting location tests for T7 in September, so it's got to be pretty far along.

Unfortunately, that means Namco's other fighting series probably isn't going to get a proper redemption for a long time, if ever.

Yeah, 24 sounds about right for the console release. Four pokémon for each generation.

Thanks!

To expand on this theory, a little. Perhaps 18 characters for the arcade release. 24 characters for the console release and 6 more pokemon that can be unlocked through Amiibo and/or DLC.

Gen 1:
Pikachu
Machamp
Mewtwo
????(too many to choose from)

Gen 2:
Scizor
Heracross
Ampharos
Sudowoodo
Hitmontop

Gen 3:
Blaziken
Sceptile
Breloom
Gardevoir
Deoxys

Gen 4:
Lucario
Floatzel
Garchomp
Weavile
Roserade

Gen 5:
Scrafty
Krookodile
Zoroark
Genesect
Victini

Gen 6:
Greninja
Hawlucha
Aegislash
Heliolisk
Diancie

Just some ideas, with pokemon it's hard to narrow it down to such a roster because there are so many to choose from. It pained me not to include some like Toxicroak.

Tripon

Do you guys want to know why Namco does arcade releases first?

- UMvC3, console-only release, had a metric crap-ton of glitches, even though a few were patched before the UMvC3 contract expired
- Injustice, console-only release, had a lot of glitches that NRS eventually patched
- SFxT, released on consoles first, had a lot of glitches, a few were patched
- TTT2, arcade first, worked out glitches at arcades, came to home consoles with little-to-no glitches & better balancing
- AE & USF4, arcade first, see TTT2

Harada & Namco actually wants the FGC to take Pokkén seriously, so an arcade release first with an eventual console release for the rest of the world (unless Nintendo chooses to fund an international arcade release, which could happen) was a good call on Harada's part. Now if only they can release an arcade stick that's actually wired (& no, the TTT2 arcade stick for the Wii U isn't wired). At least make it plug into the GameCube Adapter.
I picked up two of the wii u fight sticks because they were on clearance. I plug them though a may flash adapter and use them on PC. Lol.

Sayah

Tekken 7 is already announced and under development. Harada wants location testing for September so I imagine the game is coming along well.
This is not how arcade release to console transitions work. Please stop adding on to the flux of misinformed opinions already seen in this thread.

andymcc

Banned
This is not how arcade release to console transitions work. Please stop adding on to the flux of misinformed opinions already seen in this thread.

Errr, while it's not how ALL arcade releases on home consoles work, that's exactly how the VS series works.

Which is also developed by Bandai Namco...

Beth Cyra

Tekken 7 is already announced and under development. Harada wants location testing for September so I imagine the game is coming along well.

That is exactly how the Gundam Extreme Vs series console releases have worked though.

No one can say for sure exactly how the Release will look, and I do believe that it would be closer to a Tekken then a Gundam but it's just as stupid to completely dismiss the Gundam release as impossible.

To expand on this theory, a little. Perhaps 18 characters for the arcade release. 24 characters for the console release and 6 more pokemon that can be unlocked through Amiibo and/or DLC.

Gen 1:
Pikachu
Machamp
Mewtwo
????(too many to choose from)

Gen 2:
Scizor
Heracross
Ampharos
Sudowoodo
Hitmontop

Gen 3:
Blaziken
Sceptile
Breloom
Gardevoir
Deoxys

Gen 4:
Lucario
Floatzel
Garchomp
Weavile
Roserade

Gen 5:
Scrafty
Krookodile
Zoroark
Genesect
Victini

Gen 6:
Greninja
Hawlucha
Aegislash
Heliolisk
Diancie

Just some ideas, with pokemon it's hard to narrow it down to such a roster because there are so many to choose from. It pained me not to include some like Toxicroak.

Primeape and Hitmonlee would be perfect choices.

TreIII

Possibly.

They trademarked two names, Pokken Tournament(which the arcade game is called), and Pokken Fighters, which might be the Wii U version.

I dunno. I'm thinking they just filed both names in order to cover their bases, but Pokken Tournament may be the only name the game is known by.

Other possibility is that "Pokken Fighters" might be the name of the associated Amiibo line. Since Amiibo usage may be the closest thing that the console version may get to have to the arcade's "Banapass" card program, I can see it factoring here.

That is exactly how the Gundam Extreme Vs series console releases have worked though.

No one can say for sure exactly how the Release will look, and I do believe that it would be closer to a Tekken then a Gundam but it's just as stupid to completely dismiss the Gundam release as impossible.
Impossible, certainly not. I just think highly improbable is the more apt descriptor.

Again, Gundam Versus' release schedule works, because Gundam is largely a JP-only brand, and most of the Vs. playerbase are content to play in arcades. Comparably, Pokken is a game that utilizes a brand that has worldwide appeal, so I'd imagine they won't keep that potential playerbase waiting nearly as long.

This is probably more akin to a P4U/P4A situation than anything else.

Seik

Banned
I dunno. I'm thinking they just filed both names in order to cover their bases, but Pokken Tournament may be the only name the game is known by.

Other possibility is that "Pokken Fighters" might be the name of the associated Amiibo line. Since Amiibo usage may be the closest thing that the console version may get to have to the arcade's "Banapass" card program, I can see it factoring here.

And what if...Pokken Tournament is a Pokemon fighting game based on TEKKEN and Pokken Fighter would be based on Street Fighter, both having two very different rosters.

*drools* ...Yeah I gotta stop dreaming.

Sayah

The vast majority of arcade releases do not work like that and its not stupid to dismiss this. In addition Harada works on tekken and has little to nothing to do with gundam. I'd rather base expectations on how he does things.
Plus, gundam is largely based in japan. Pokemon is not.

Crocodile

This has probably been posted, but from the Siliconera article:

So, I guess I better start tweeting Golduck like crazy!

Ugh, leaving it to fan vote? Here comes 15 different flavors of Charizard :/

Look, Namco it's easy:

A) Open up a Pokedex (online or in game)
B) Filter by fighting type
C) Control - C all fully evolved ones
D) Control V into the roster list
E) Add Pikachu in a Luchador costume

DONE! See how easy that was?

Sandfox

Ugh, leaving it to fan vote? Here comes 15 different flavors of Charizard :/

Look, Namco it's easy:

A) Open up a Pokedex (online or in game)
B) Filter by fighting type
C) Control - C all fully evolved ones
D) Control V into the roster list
E) Add Pikachu in a Luchador costume

DONE! See how easy that was?

Its smarter to just add the Pokemon that people want in addition to the Pokemon they've probably already started working on.

Ashhong

I wish capcom was making this. Not a fan of tekken style gameplay and feel like capcom would be a better fit considering Pokemon should really be more about projectiles and special abilities than hand to hand combat. Oh well, I'll take what I can get lol

Top Bottom