• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT9| The Wrath of Khan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sangreal

Well, that would be why in order to make this into an issue people had to dredge up a single tweet from 2011 that simply read "no to mandatory vaccines." It's not like it's a serious issue of his campaign.

Are you serious? That link doesn't say anything like opposing mandatory vaccination as a condition for attending school. The whole of it reads:

"Should the federal government require children to be vaccinated for preventable diseases?
Gary Johnson’s answer: No."

Googling around I can't find anything that indicates that he opposes that, just that he doesn't want vaccines at the point of a gun.

his organization pushed for the passage of this anti-vaxxer bill in MS which did exactly that

http://billstatus.ls.state.ms.us/documents/2015/pdf/HB/0100-0199/HB0130IN.pdf

N ACT TO AMEND SECTION 41-23-37, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972,
2 TO AUTHORIZE PARENTS OR GUARDIANS OF SCHOOL-AGE CHILDREN TO OBTAIN
3 CERTIFICATES OF EXEMPTION FROM VACCINATIONS FOR MEDICAL REASONS OR
4 FOR CONSCIENTIOUS BELIEFS IN ORDER FOR THE CHILD TO ATTEND SCHOOL;

Considering there is no such thing as forced vaccinations outside of this context, I am not sure what you think Gary Johnson would have been referring to in the Q&A you posted anyway. There is literally nobody out there arguing for vaccinations at gunpoint

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-no-obama-didnt-pander--20150202-column.html

Aceun

At this point, it'd be impressive if he even made it to the debates. You know, without him imploding. Or the GOP imploding.

Or his strategy of making the next colossal fail bigger than the one before it actually works. **Shudder.**

aliengmr

Well, that would be why in order to make this into an issue people had to dredge up a single tweet from 2011 that simply read "no to mandatory vaccines." It's not like it's a serious issue of his campaign.

Are you serious? That link doesn't say anything like opposing mandatory vaccination as a condition for attending school. The whole of it reads:

"Should the federal government require children to be vaccinated for preventable diseases?

Googling around I can't find anything that indicates that he opposes that, just that he doesn't want vaccines at the point of a gun.

Incidentally, my googling did turn up this.

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/08/an-anti-vaxer-in-the-white-house/493916/

But as president, Obama has spoken clearly about the safety of vaccines. “The science is pretty indisputable,” he said last year. “There is every reason to get vaccinated — there aren’t reasons to not.”

Johnsons a Libertarian why on earth do you think he would mandate vaccines for school children?

He wants K-12 to be fucking for profit across the board and eliminate the Dept of education.

Ted Cruz looks pretty smart right now.

If Ryan and others jump ship it'll only increase the scrutiny over why they endorsed the man in the first place. Trump was as unfit for office 3 months ago as he is today, nothing has changed. He was also making racist comments around the time Ryan and Rubio endorsed him. It's a disaster either way but I think Ryan and others will face long term consequences for endorsing this man.

If Ryan and others jump ship it'll only increase the scrutiny over why they endorsed the man in the first place. Trump was as unfit for office 3 months ago as he is today, nothing has changed. He was also making racist comments around the time Ryan and Rubio endorsed him. It's a disaster either way but I think Ryan and others will face long term consequences for endorsing this man.

It's fucking great.

Paul Ryan, John McCain, and Marco Rubio are going to face tons of scrutiny for their support of Trump, and will only get the people on the far-right on their side.

Ted Cruz and John Kasich have to face the scorn of the far-right who will call them traitors of the party.

Good luck in 2020, dicks

Especially when others can counter that Ryan only rescinded his endorsement after getting into a personal, mutual endorsement spat with Trump, instead of everything actually wrong with Trump.

"oh, it was okay when he was a dangerously unqualified, insane bigot, but he said he wasn't going to endorse me and that was the final straw"

Today alone had more ridiculous campaign shit from Trump/GOP that I can remember in all the Presidential GEs combined.

I bet the GOP looks fondly upon binders full of women.

I'm perplexed. The government requires vaccination of children for attending public school. It's mandatory. If you oppose the federal government requiring children to be vaccinated, then the rest follows, does it not?

I'm unsure what else you're trying to read into that.

When he actually said that, the people who answered understood exactly what it meant. His party platform covers this under Parental Rights:

Parents, or other guardians, have the right to raise their children according to their own standards and beliefs.

To see this in practice, the California state Libertarian chairman wants to abolish California's SB277, which is purely about mandatory vaccines for children attending public school.

The LPC has endorsed the referendum to overturn SB277, the mandatory vaccination bill recently signed by Gov. Brown. Petitions are circulating now. Libertarians are neither pro-vaccination nor anti-vaccination, but are strongly in favor of health care choice and health freedom.

This is what "mandatory vaccines" means. They would prefer the government not tell them that they can or cannot put into their children, which the government only does in the case of public school.

daedalius

Jesus the Berners on Sam bee, ugh. What a fucking cult of personality it's become.

I do love how they are all white, of course.

Trouble

Banned
Ok, apparently a lot happened today? Can someone fill me in? I'm just now sitting down to read the news.

Trump basically just did this to his campaign.

fQf4RQH.gif

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
You know, I never liked The Newsroom, but if someone like Netflix wanted to revive the show for one season just to capture this election, I'd watch that.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
I also wouldn't mind a list of things that's happened over the last few days.

I think I'm fully up to date but, honestly, there's just been so much and I've had to work a lot.

@reidepstein Reid J. Epstein
Asked @seanspicer if RNC agrees w/Trump that gen elex might be "rigged." He said: "You should seek further clarification from the campaign."

Also: It took Spicer six hours to come up with that answer

1WWGtmu.gif

Zereta

Asked @seanspicer if RNC agrees w/Drumpf that gen elex might be "rigged." He said: "You should seek further clarification from the campaign."

Also: It took Spicer six hours to come up with that answer

1WWGtmu.gif

All across America today, grown white men are crying.

mo60

Ok, apparently a lot happened today? Can someone fill me in? I'm just now sitting down to read the news.

Something involving a purple heart and trump taking it from a veteran
Trump's campaign and campaign team are in disarray currently.
Trump is not supporting Mccain and Ryan in their primaries and he may be trying to primary Ryan
The Khan story is still haunting trump's campaign
Trump asked a crying baby to leave his rally
Trump urged his supporters to sell their stocks soon because he thinks the stock market will crash(here's a link to that story http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/02/investing/donald-trump-stock-market/

Katrina Pierson getting roasted on twitter #KatrinaPiersonHistory. I had never used Twitter before this election cycle. I've been missing out.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So,

He's coming completely unglued clearly.

I wonder how far he is willing to push things. If the RNC starts coming out against him strongly it will just make him crazier.

I don't think they can remove him, he is the nominee. So unless he decides not to run... but we're getting near the last moment to make the ballot in a lot of states..

So, we just gonna reverse Mondale this bitch, aint we?

mo60

So,

He's coming completely unglued clearly.

I wonder how far he is willing to push things. If the RNC starts coming out against him strongly it will just make him crazier.

I don't think they can remove him, he is the nominee. So unless he decides not to run... but we're getting near the last moment to make the ballot in a lot of states..

So, we just gonna reverse Mondale this bitch, aint we?

If this continues I wouldn't be surprised if a reverse monodale happens for him but instead of one single candidate being the one that leads to him being crushed johnson and clinton will both help lead to him getting crushed in the general.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I feel like we need a version of "We Didn't Start The Fire" just for this election.

watershed

Banned
Well I'm all caught up. Is it possible reality is actually catching up to Trump? Like, he is actually realizing that he's not winning this race?

He's not going anywhere though. He can't quit. So if it stays this bad, he might just go after republicans and burn the whole party down with him.

If this continues I wouldn't be surprised if a reverse monodale happens for him but instead of one single candidate being the one that leads to him being crushed johnson and clinton will both help lead to him getting crushed in the general.

I'm ignorant here. What's a reverse Mondale?

CCS

Banned
I reckon today is going to be even more incredible than yesterday.

How many incredible headlines/stories are going to be created today, either from new fuck-ups or Trump doing something stupid to prolong a previous fuck-up?

I'm going with 12.

sphagnum

Banned
Would anyone else be interested in trying to compile a list of memorable things from this election like thisfuckingelection.com did for 2008? I feel like it would almost be impossible to cover everything but the 2016 election is too crazy for this stuff to drop down the memory hole.

Would anyone else be interested in trying to compile a list of memorable things from this election like thisfuckingelection.com did for 2008? I feel like it would almost be impossible to cover everything but the 2016 election is too crazy for this stuff to drop down the memory hole.

People are asking for a list of the last day and we can't keep up.

Let that sink in.

Pence meeting with McCain privately seems like significant damage control. Given the rumors that Clinton personally reached out to Whitman and McCain is friendly with her I'm sure he has been approached and really think there is a likely chance he flips in a dramatic fashion.

Pence meeting with McCain privately seems like significant damage control. Given the rumors that Clinton personally reached out to Whitman and McCain is friendly with her I'm sure he has been approached and really think there is a likely chance he flips in a dramatic fashion.

I'm in NoFap, please stop, you are making it impossible.

Idunno if it's the same for everyone else here, but if I go to the "Politics" column of my trending topics on Facebook, eight of the ten news items are negative stories about Trump. And one of the two that aren't is about Leo Dicaprio having a fundraiser for Hillary.

:')

Edit-

Screen_Shot_2016_08_03_at_1_17_01_AM.png

kadotsu

Banned
I still can't believe how perfectly Obama timed the use of his superpower to make Republicans do exactly the opposite of what he says. Now everyone who revokes their endorsement will be seen as following his lead.

I've watched Michelle Obama's 2016 speech three times now, and I get tears in my eyes every time. I love her speech. And I'm frustrated she will never hold office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom